A sitcom laugh track feels more like a gentle suggestion when compared with the way in which the Japanese usually...

A sitcom laugh track feels more like a gentle suggestion when compared with the way in which the Japanese usually handle their 'comedy' in a lot of their media:

>suddently super deformed characters
>simple background, usually a 'quirky' wallpaper pattern like strawberries or some shit
>loud, obnoxious cartoon sound effects
>obnoxious goofy/'comical'-sounding music
>characters gurn, squeal and overreact in a manner that no one though to be humanly possible until now
>the actual 'joke' being the overreaction itself, the sheer fact that the scene is presented in such a goofy and over-the-top manner (BRIGHT COLOURS LOUD NOISES GOOFY WACKY WAFFLE JINGLE KEYS LAUGH LIKE THE PAVLOVIAN BABY THAT YOU ARE), or simply pointing out a faux pas/malaproprism/incongruity for the purposes of social correction, because even the simplest joke or goof should never be left to be judged on its own merits.

And it's presented and told in the exact same way, every single goddamned time.

It's like how an android would tell a joke. Since they are only capable of understanding the concept of humor on such a surface, intellectual level, they instead try to overcompensate for their lack of skill and experience by simply employing as many of the superficial 'trappings' of comedy as they can in order to increase their chances of generating a single laugh.

"Funny noises? Check. Funny faces? Check. Funny sounds? Check. Exaggeration? Check. Explaining the joke? Check. By my calculations, you should be rolling around on the floor by now."

It's so insultingly contrived and artificial. You may as well simply pause the entire work, look directly at the audience and say "Here is joke. Now is the designated time in which you are permitted to laugh. Please do so in an orderly and appropriate manner. After the allotted time has ceased, you may quietly return to your previous state of unamusement. Thank you."

>TL;DR Japanese can't into comedy

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuQM8dWzWg
youtube.com/watch?v=3YPRGVIX5TM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0kC-MJZrU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Shōnen_Jump#Circulation_and_demographic
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Then don't watch shitty anime you fucking retard.

>simple background, usually a 'quirky' wallpaper pattern like strawberries or some shit
>characters gurn, squeal and overreact in a manner that no one though to be humanly possible until now
It's almost like you're watching a fucking cartoon. Nah, can't be.

>oh yeah? watch this

*shits on floor*

*flips the bird*

*pulls up pants*

*smirks*

*adjusts tie*

*begins walking out*

*turn around*

*raspberry*

*turn back and keep walking*

*turn back again and walk back to them*

*turn around*

*fart in their direction*

*scratches balls*

*pulls down pants*

*orders pepperoni pizza*

*pulls up pants*

*yawns*

*begin to walk out*

*raises middle finger to flip them off while walking out*

*stops walking*

*stretches*

*walks out of studio*

*comes back in*

*hehe... f'got somethin'*

*picks up bag*

*let's go miles*

*picks up miles' bag*

*power stance*

*starts walking out again*

*gives both bags to miles*

*miles still hasn't walked out*

*checks phone*

*smirks*

*nice*

*burps through nose*

*scratches belly*

*oh yeah, one more thing*

*DO THE HARLEM SHAKE WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP, WOOP WOOP WOOP BRRRRRRRRRRMMMHHHHH*

*fuck yeah*

And that's how you handle it.

>posted a pic from shitty anime

Something something americans too dumb to know when to laugh or clap

The exaggerated reactions are a trope of anime and they do fine.

Try watching the Full Metal live action that just got released on Netflix and let me know what you think about the exaggerated reactions there.

Just watch good comedy anime like zetsubou sensei

>Reina! I'm home!
>[applause]

>Ameriburger teaching Japanese about comedy
The blind leading the blind.

I 100% agree OP, though I think it's less to do with anime than Japs in general. Japs can't into subtlety for ANYTHING, in anime or vidya, and they also can't into comedy, so when you combine them you get the "LOOK HOW FUNNY WE ARE" moments in anime. I can count on one hand the number of times I've laughed in anime/vidya.

Welcome to the NHK and Dragon Ball are the only anime that do humor right.

Japs can't into social or political critique so the first of these is a unicorn. You can't expect anything funny from a culture with a flaw like that.

In this case it's more like the blind leading the comatose.

jap's comedy is like that because I R L they're all tight-assed and polite and formal. so their culture allows their "comedy" and "TV" to be all fucking extra goofy and shit. it shouldn't bother you so much, cunt. not every place is the same.

>And it's presented and told in the exact same way, every single goddamned time.
maybe you should run into the forest and kick a racoon or something

Who are worse at comedy, Japanese or Germans?

KEK

America has much better comedy than Japan. Even if you don't like their average sitcoms, their classics blow japanese best "comedy" out of the water.

>I get all of my info on Japanese culture out of children's cartoons and video games

no shit, you're on a fucking anime board, and my other major exposure is to vidya. I sure as fuck don't care about Jap culture in of itself. You are legitimately a weaboo, and I mean that in the original, derogatory definition of "weaboo," to actively seek other Jap culture.

>being interested in cultural output of countries outside the one you live and America's "culture industry" is shameful
Fuck off back to thumbing up your ironic anime memes on facebook or some shit you pathetic bugman.

Have you ever seen vids of 'hilarious' japanese commercials on a streaming site like Youtube? Yes, there are TONS of them. Have you seen their views? Yes, there are MILLIONS of those for each.

Have you ever seen a snigle one for american CMs?

Yes, that's the difference between american and japanese humor.
The whole world loves the japanese one.

Yet the worst kind of comedy is when a character makes a subtle joke and another character has to chime in and explain the joke or say "that's impossible" just to make sure everyone understood the joke.

I would unironically enjoy a sitcom anime.

literal weaboo

You do realise there's more to comedy genre than just commercials right?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fWuQM8dWzWg
Pure kino

>Japs can't into social or political critique
They can but it's not something anime does a lot of.

>have you seen

No, but I have seen the American Geico ones because everyone has. Millions is what'd you expect in one day from any given Superbowl ad, all of which generate about as much hype as the actual game.

It's painfully obvious you only watched like 30 anime in your adult life.

what's wrong with being a weeaboo?

I don't get people who say japanese people can't into humor. I know they can't understand sarcasm so if that's the kind if humor you look for I get it. But I think they do absurd and slapstick humor pretty well. Nichibros had me dying for example. Fumoffu was also great. If you like sexual innuendo humor you have seitokai yakuindomo. Like what is your idea of funny that's missing from japan?

>advocating laugh tracks

fpbp
Watch more anime retard.

A sitcom laugh track feels more like a gentle suggestion when compared with the way in which the American cartoons usually handle their 'comedy'

>the actual 'joke' being the overreaction itself, the sheer fact that the scene is presented in such a goofy and over-the-top manner (BRIGHT COLOURS LOUD NOISES GOOFY WACKY WAFFLE JINGLE KEYS LAUGH LIKE THE PAVLOVIAN BABY THAT YOU ARE), or simply pointing out a faux pas/malaproprism/incongruity for the purposes of social correction, because even the simplest joke or goof should never be left to be judged on its own merits.

And it's presented and told in the exact same way, every single goddamned time.

It's like how an android would tell a joke. Since they are only capable of understanding the concept of humor on such a surface, intellectual level, they instead try to overcompensate for their lack of skill and experience by simply employing as many of the superficial 'trappings' of comedy as they can in order to increase their chances of generating a single laugh.

"Funny noises? Check. Funny faces? Check. Funny sounds? Check. Exaggeration? Check. Explaining the joke? Check. By my calculations, you should be rolling around on the floor by now."

It's so insultingly contrived and artificial. You may as well simply pause the entire work, look directly at the audience and say "Here is joke. Now is the designated time in which you are permitted to laugh. Please do so in an orderly and appropriate manner. After the allotted time has ceased, you may quietly return to your previous state of unamusement. Thank you."

>TL;DR Cartoons are dumb and i'm overanalizing a medium aimed to young people even tho i'm 30

This is not funny at all

Nichijou is a perfect example of the obnoxious shit OP is talking about though. Stupid overreactions accompanied by exaggerated art is pretty much the entirety of Nichijou.
youtube.com/watch?v=3YPRGVIX5TM

It's embarrassing.

Oh shit nevermind, I misread that. Yeah Nichibros is great.

kek

>i Watch dumb cartoons pretending they are aimed for intellectual adults such as myself

Stop watching anime then.

How?

>y-you just haven't watched enough

It's shit. Konosuba is shit, Nichijou is shit, Tonari is shit, Nozaki-kun is shit, Shimoneta is shit, Love Hina is shit, Gintama is shit. Most of all your favorite anime is also shit.

>4koma manga uses its mediums tropes
OH SHIT, I WASN'T EXPECTING THAT

>it's meant to be shit!

There being a reason as to why it's shit doesn't change the fact that it's shit.

lmao that is not what the OP is saying. Holy shit if that's what you got out of it you are legitimately stupid

>konichiwa, my name is John Nakamura

hmmm it's almost like you want a different culture to make its humor just like yours

>>konichiwa, my name is John Nakamura
Not an argument.

For starters you probably don't even know japanese.

Try actually changing the copypasta a little beyond the "no u" part. Or using the picture of something that at least vaguely fits what's being described, because Tom & Jerry sure as hell doesn't.

One of the weird things in Japanese television is how they have a person in the lower left corner making faces to teach viewers what they're supposed to feel.

it unironically is

>American """humor"""

youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0kC-MJZrU

Nichijou is shit though and was liked by the supposedly humor-savvy Westerners more than by Japanese.

Basinga

Dumb cartoons is not an excuse for shitty comedy.

日本語は話せる。しかも、それは議論のためにはどう該当あるの?

>one character decides to hit another because violence is top tier funney
>pulls giant several times his size hammer out of his ass
>huge loud striking noise, first character grows a huge red lump the size of his head
>but that's not enough, suddenly huge anvils start raining from the sky
>first character gets hit and becomes flattened to the ground
Epic comedy for the win.

How?

Except for the huge anvil falling from the sky, I would have thought that you were just now describing anime comedy slapstick tropes.

Then go watch something made for adults you stupid manchild

nigga are you autistic or what

Anime is made for adults you idiot

Most of the anime*

>oh my god are you SERIOUSLY expecting me to validate my provocative assertions with argumentation?

>Anime is made for adults

>Tits and asses + blood and gore = something automatically being mature

>Japs cant do social critique
>what is AzuDaioh

I'm not as assblasted as you and can stand the overreactions and exxagerated faces, but I really hate when they explain the joke.

You mean "aimed at teens between 12 and 17"

If you are over 18 you are supposed to stop watching anime. People who don't are mentally undeveloped otakus.

Are you pretending to be retarded?
Aimed at adults != being mature
Most of the anime is aimed at adults, not teens. Go watch at what time the majority of the shows this season air. Or what kind of people visit anime related live events, they are full of 20s/30s japanese males, not teens.

If by "adults" you mean 15-25 year old boys then yeah, it's for adults.

literally explained to you in words any normal person can understand

>what's embarrassing about being a weaboo?

the question itself is so blatant you legitimately have to be autistic to even ask it

Those people are otakus, meaning that they are exceptions. Anime is made for teens, hence why it's mostly edgy shit and sexualized girls.

>Japs can't into social critique
One punch man and mob psycho.

Basically every single Super Bowl commercially breaks 100 million views

>ARE YOU SERIOUSLY ASKING ME TO EXPLAIN MY REASONING
not an argument

>being interested in other cultures is the same as badly trying to imitate them in public
I guess people should be embarrassed for being interested in am*rican "culture" too.

Not an argument.

Kill yourself if you think age has anything to do with enjoyment of anime. If you think not watching anime makes you more mature you are still a little kid trying to act adult.

not______an________argument

Shounen anime is just based on shounen manga, which we have demographic data about. For the biggest shounen manga magazine (Shounen Jump), almost 2/3rds of the readers are 13 years old or younger.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekly_Shōnen_Jump#Circulation_and_demographic
Last sentence.

>american
>"culture"
Even if you put it around irony quotes using the two words in a single sentence is just fucking absurd.

>Dragon Ball

japs are best at comedy when they try to make shitty thrillers

I am not making assertions, it's not my job to provide arguments. I'm supposed to give counter-arguments but due to your nature of being an absolute moron who doesn't know how to hold a proper human conversation, I've nothing to counter. Do you understand my predicament?

not an argument

Okay, keep watching cartoon girls getting their tits groped by accident and then come here everyday to complain about how you don't find it funny, you stupid 40 year old virgin piece of shit.

>Weeb getting trolled this hard by some early 2000's-tier shit
Holy fuck is this your first time on the internet, or are you really that insecure about jacking it to underage cartoon girls and everyone giving you weird looks when you say your favorite pastime is watching cartoons for children?

Weaboo has never meant "interested in Japanese culture". Is everybody interested in German culture a "germanoboo", or everybody interested in French culture a "francoboo?" Clearly the derogatory connotation of the term comes from an irrational infatuation which a certain culture, not mere interest. Ken-sama is a weaboo just like somebody who always insists on wearing a Beret all the time and speaks English with a phony French accent because the French are just so cultured and refined would be a "francoboo", but you are the autist if you don't understand why that's something different than interest in foreign cultures. I wish you retards lurked more before you diluting the meaning of terms with your misconceptions.

Did you even read the thread? It's the other guy who thinks watching Japanese children cartoons is fine but interest in Japanese culture at large makes you a weaboo.

BUCHENWALD

>germanaboos and francoboos
unironically people started using these kind of terms the last couple years - To be frank I don't like it how people missuse weaboo and similiar words but that's how the world works, language is always evolving - just see the exessive usage of false english in japanese over the last 10 years, even in official matters (MaiNamba)

nobody gives a shit about german culture lmao you weaboo

nice self-justification, but this doesn't make the lolicon shirt you wear any less embarassing in public

Holy shit you must be a literal autist, do you even understand what people are making fun of you for at this point? Taking the bait this hard