My favorite show of the season

I don't think this show is getting enough praise. I usually hate the cute girls doing cute things genre but this show is actually really engaging. It has stunning animation and likable characters.

This is not CGDCT.
It has a plot.

It'll probably be an AOTY contender for me. I went in expecting a forgettable generic show with a silly premise but it's now my favorite this season.

This show already gets a lot of praise. But you’re right, it isn’t enough

CORN

It's pretty good but I don't see what would make it so special. It also has pretty tough competition since this season is better than most recent ones.

Leave it to user to be rigjt and wrong at the same time. It's CGDCT with a plot.

>ZAMAAA MIROU

It's getting a lot of praise. I rarely see anyone saying anything negative about it. It only gained the size of the audience it has because of word of mouth.

Of course it is. CGDCT is an umbrella term for all anime that features an underage all-girl cast. It’s irrelevant if it has a plot or it doesn’t.

>CGDCT is an umbrella term for all anime that features an underage all-girl cast.
No it's not. By that categorization every Mahou Shoujo would fall under CGDCT.

Good writing.

Madoka is CGDCT, the textbook definition of pedo bait no matter how convoluted the plot is.

(You)

That's not what that means though. The DCT part is specifically about slice-of-life shows.

It never is. Show's amazing, and it's anime original, and it came out of nowhere for me.

Yeah, it's pretty good just not outstanding.

Did they really have to victimize themselves at the end? Jesus, no wonder nips were flipping out on this episode.

>VEGfag shitposts about Yori in some AOTS thread
>gets BTFO to oblivion
>suddenly a bait Yori shitposting thread pops up on catalog
This pattern is getting suspiciously familiar

Why does this make me laugh

Nice headcanon. You know what DCT exactly means. The cute things can range from camping, going on a trip to Antartica, hunting witches, "protecting" the city or making a school band and there's absolutely nothing you can do to change that unless you want to make your own term.

Because it’s funny user

It's outstanding to me. I like all of these characters, the grounded low-key drama, and the theme of doing something proactive in your life really strikes a chord with me.

Dude, this is Sup Forums now. If somebody is irked by what someone else said about a show being better than another, the best way to take revenge is to try to trigger a shitposting storm against said better anime just by baiting anons with different opinions with such things as "This is AOTS" or "This has some amazing animation".
That way, the shitposter will stop feeling lonely and get a hard-on at the sight of the anime getting despised.
It's all about self-satisfaction.

>A boat ramming against southern ice with tremendous force in order to break it is a cute thing
My little icebreaker can't be so cute.

Now loop it back

aoty comin' through
literally modern day eva with better characters and writing

What do you hope to accomplish with this

>Nu-Sup Forums

lol

Is working as spies in steampunk not-England considered cute?

Truths. I like this so much better than homogelion. The characters feel fresh, as opposed to being generic tropes or whiny faggots

I want to fund Shiraishi's trip with afterschool enjo kosai, then enter a mature relationship with her once she returns!

what's Sup Forums's vote for worst show of the season?

Sorry, I don’t watch bad shows.

how do you know a show is bad/good before watching it?

Killing Bites. And Colors is fun, go fuck yourself

I Love This Fat Pig!

Out of the shows that actually had any effort put into them, Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens. I could barely sit through the first episode.
Out of the ones I'm still watching, probably Kokkoku, but that's not saying much because all of the shows I'm watching this season are fucking amazing. Also Colors is great too fuck you.

if nobody fansubs it, its probably shit

Not that guy, but that is the worst measure of a bad show I have ever heard

I think a CGDCT can have a plot, actually I think it's sort of a requirement. If it's just things happening in no context it feels wrong.
But I don't know if I can consider this to be CGDCT. I want to be careful with making a definition that prohibits innovation in the genre, but at the same time you can't include mahou shoujo and Bubblegum Crisis.
Maybe it has to be what type of plot it is, if the things that happen are motivated by the characters themselves or if it's motivated by foreign intrusions, with only the former being CGDCT?

I see Sup Forums talk about this one a lot. Give it to me straight, this show is hot garbage, right?

>I usually hate the cute girls doing cute things genre but this show is actually really engaging.
It also doesn't have any cute girls.

Women like it because it's like surrogate parenting. In reality kids are loud and annoying and it captures that well.

ok 'shit' is definitely a bit strong. maybe mediocre instead.

Another visitors?
Stay a while....stay for EVER!

Citrus. It was so over the top I barely got through the first episode, but then again soap operas aren't my thing so whatever.

Its great. Watch it now.

>AOTY
isn't it too soon for that?

It has already won 1/4 seasons this year. But as I said, it's just a contender so far. I really like it a lot.

Thank you for the laugh

next season looks very interesting so i think it's just too early to talk about AOTY
but you can say it's AOTS, although i'm not watching that many anime in this season to say something on my account

It's getting only praise, that's why no one is talking about it

>literally modern day eva
there are still idiots out there who see eva references everywhere? just sayin'

Did the elevens dislike it?

Poputepipikku and Ito Junji

Best ones are Colors and Sora yori

Really mediocre, no surprise it gets overshadowed by VEG and Darlifra

VEG is absolute garbage and FranXX is pretty generic even if it's somewhat enjoyable.

Oh man you poor guy

Sora Yori is an anime that unironically, if they dont fuck it up(although so far it has been so solid I have no doubt in the people behind this show) will be talked about for the next few years.
I have a feeling the finale will be beyond amazing with this.

>no surprise it gets overshadowed by VEG and Darlifra
Overshadowed how? Is this going to be another one of those popularity = quality arguments.

"Cute girls doing cute things" can be about literally anything. At fucking all. That's not how genres work, and thus it's not a genre.
And you're also completely wrong, the "cute" part of the term is completely irrelevant and the only reason why it's there is to make it sound better. CGDCT-type shows are about cute girls who share a common hobby or activity, usually the theme of the show itself, and it has nothing to do about the pacing or the genre of the show. Slice-of-life is a completely different thing, and any given "CGDCT" show can or not be also a SoL depending on how it's structured.

In any case, CGDCT is a term that Sup Forums jokingly created as a way to encompass all those hobby shows about cute girls, which was corrupted by Sup Forums who started misattributing it everywhere and then completely raped by reddit last year after some famous faggot released a huge chart of "CGDCT" shows that completely missed the mark in most things. Please either stop using it or use it sparingly while keeping its original meaning in mind.

Also, yes, Yorimoi counts as cute girls doing cute things as it's about a group of girls engaging in the common activity of going to Antarctica.

CGDCT and moefagpandering are different things, and the hobby requirement excludes a lot of school shows like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh, which are clearly CGDCT.
And CGDCT is a genre, even if you think it should apply across many genres and can't be a subgenre, it's still a genre. Compare it to mecha, which is often a subgenre of scifi, but it can also be fantasy instead.

Agree. It's already my AOTS, followed by Yuru Camp, and it's a strong contender for AOTY but we have 3 seasons ahead, let's wait.

This show is not CGDCT, there's nothing cute or mundane about going to Antarctica to find your dead mother. The main characters is also not cute, not even Sup Forums wants to fuck her and she is canonically unattractive.

Poputepipikku is not shit enough; really disappointed.
Truly wasted potential, both ironically and unironically.

I appreciate that it's eva but instead of depression its about being horny

>it's another episode of Sup Forums arguing over Sup Forums-lingo that has never had a single uniform definition but people are treating as if it were some term registered in the OED or Webster's dictionary

I don’t, but I’m not going to keep watching a bad show after the first episode.

Who died and put you in charge of Sup Forums jargon? Hidamari Sketch is quintessential CGDCT, and it doesn't have a singular common activity or hobby.

This anime is literally flawless.

>mahou shoujo and Bubblegum Crisis
How can you put those two in the same phrase and be okay with yourself? Madoka -IS- CGDCT, it's actually the picture perfect CGDCT. An all female cast of lolis with flamboyant colours and skimpy dresses hunting witches, the fact that it is edgy and has a complex plot DOES NOT override the CGDCT.

Meanwhile Bubblegum Crisis is an all female cast of +18 girls going Balde Runner, if I recall correctly they even smoked ffs. You could have used Sailor Moon to defend your case but you went full retard.

My main problem with it is the writing, they should've never let the faggot behind LL in charge of it.

That's a nice headcanon you have there. Do you like to pretend this show is popular too?

NO
CGDCT is not decided by the character design, it has much more to do with the structure and plot and contents of the show. Madoka is not a CGDCT. And how is Sailor Moon less of a CGDCT than Madoka, if anything it comes way closer, but still doesn't come close to qualify.

You seem oddly flustered, user. Did that post hit the nail on the head?

>no wonder nips were flipping out on this episode
Explain, I was slightly curious as to how the reception would be there when it was brought up. I do know they don’t teach the full extent of Japanese involvement during the wars though and try to brush off a lot of it.

user that's just sad. What would your parents think?

>CGDCT is not decided by the character design
Yes it is, it's a HUGE part of the concept. What part of cute girls don't you get. CGDCT is just a tag (not a genre) you can use with Madoka, just like "Mahou Shoujo" "Mindfuck" "Dark" etc, the fact that it goes back and forth on edgelord territory does not override the concept.

Also I was actually arguing that Sailor Moon would make more sense a CGDCT than Bubblegum Crisis, it's probably more of a CGDCT than Sora Yori.

I treat CGDCT as a genre, and I disagree with you. We need a word to describe the genre most people mean by CGDCT, and it's a good word for that. The use of words for anime with cute girls is much smaller, just say "cute girls anime", or "moe without males" or something. I don't want to give up the valueable word CGDCT for a rarely used distinction that already have alternative words describing it.

And are you saying Sora Yori does not have "CGDCT designs"? Really? Does not wearing dresses or skirts disqualify a show now?

Kimari's bangs.

A word that simply indicates that a show has a predominantly female cast is not a god damn genre. Why would you even fucking need the CGDCT tag when even an idiot can find out that a show has mostly girls in it by the key visuals alone? What's a show with a predominantly male cast then? Fujoshit? That's no different from prime shitpost bait like moeshit.

CGDCT originally had a "use" when it popped up as a subgenre of SoL. Now it's totally useless though it wasn't any use back then either aside from being a shitty buzzword.

Are you the same person who claimed all mahou shoujo is CGDCT? Because that doesn't make much sense with what you are saying now. I have always been of the opinion that CGDCT is a subgenre of SoL, which it to me looks like you are saying too now.
The word has not yet been ruined, a lot of people still use it as a type of SoL. Digibro is not all-powerful, his retarded chart is not that popular and people still limit CGDCT to SoL in many situations.

PTE

it has to be the adaptation of Junji Ito's manga. Regardless of how the original works are the anime is certainly worse.

In the end it's just semantics but I don't think it can be treated as a genre which is something more monolothic like yuri for example, it's something like a "formula" to attract young male viewers, specially otaku.
What would be your idea for the CGDCT? Restrict it to moe happy SoL's? I'm unsure, I don't see it. Would you say Princess Principal is CGDCT? I definitely would.

They're doing a great job so far though. I like how the girls can tease each other.

Maybe it'd help if we could actually come up with a genre to place Sora Yori in, so we could say "Sora Yori is X genre" instead of just rejecting the classification as CGDCT.
Because the genre it feels closest to in a lot of ways is CGDCT, if shares many typical cliches with that genre, which makes it easy to think of it as one. I'm toying with the thought myself. If you break up the components and rearrange them, it really consists mostly of typical CGDCT elements.
One suggestion is drama, but I don't really feel there's enough of it to give it a full genre tag for that. Another possibility is adventure, which may be more suitable?

I haven't seen Princess Principal, but seems it's guns and action and military, so probably really not at all. Yes, I think it should be restricted to moe happy SoLs. Possibly with some adjustment to that description, but at the core of it, this.

What do you mean by a monolothic genre, by the way? Many genres have very diverse qualities. For example Sci-Fi is extremely diverse with different shows reaching in many different directions.

How is this so hard? SoraYori is a coming-of-age SoL.

Simple.

It isn't either of those though. It's celebrating youth, not maturing through it. It's also not slice-of-life, because it's specifically about deviating from the mundane.

Based

Coming-of-age is a great idea. But does SoL really include it? I don't really understand the definition of SoL that well, but it sounds a bit questionable.
Battle Shounen? Mecha? Fantasy? Keikaku? Mystery? Comedy...
It does have elements of comedy, but it doesn't feel like that's enough. That should be used more for further specification about content than as the primary genre.

What is so appealing about high school girls who have the emotional maturity and mannerisms of a 3rd grader? "In your face"?? Talk about corny as fuck.

If you want to get real specific about it almost all high schoolers portrayed in anime are way more mature than actual high schoolers.
SoraYori is no exception

Don't people usually use Iyashikei for happy moe shows? Most Iyashikei is CGDCT but no the other way around.

What the fuck are you even talking about.

There's a difference, and iyashikei also includes non-CGDCT such as Mushishi and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.
I don't know how anime experts do it, but I also tend to make a distinction between funny stuff and relaxing stuff, and make the lack of jokes count against something's classification as CGDCT, so I'd sooner label something "boring" but girl shows as iyashikei that CGDCT but I don't know what other people think about this distinction, and I'd probably not consider something funny iyashikei first and foremost either.