Violet Evergarden

A Hideo Kojima Production
Shitposters on suicide watch.

Is this the thread where OP baits spoilers?

>A Hideo Kojima Production
so, can I expect there then a Magenta, the secret twinsister of Violet, and both are actually clones of Big Writer formerly known as Blanc Canvas, and then there is also the third sister Viogenta, who raised a girl named Jane, but is usually called Sapho?

No, just Lux.

reminder that violet wants to know what is love

>Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my arms... even my fingers... The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past!

What did you do to piss her off?

>angry violet noises

I'm making a compilation of shit action close ups from this episode.

I took away her husbando.

Looking forward to it.

She doesn't even know what a husbando is.

She might not know, but her kokoro does.

I like the show but it really goes at a snail's pace. I mean what happened this last episode? We didn't learn anything we didn't already know, all that happened was a dragged out detailing of the events of the past. At the end of the day the major is still """"""""dead"""""""""" (no body found = alive) and violet is in the same mindset the previous episode ended on.

He's right, you know.

Let's be honest, Gilbert deserves better than Violet.

Oh fuck off Dietfried, you're nothing but a cunt.

delet
baiorette is for love

They deserve each other and I'm hoping for a happy end.

>You don't understand a woman's heart!
Excuse me who the fuck are you? What do you understand about war and what Violet went through? That's right, nothing. You'd instead keep Violet in the dark for as long as possible out of "compassion". She had to told eventually you dumb bitch.

A lot of dialogue in this episode was very cheesy, was it Netflix or the actual script?

It's the script, the LN isn't exactly high literature in the first place.

You're telling me you don't like soldier love stories?

Are we supposed to empathise with this blood thirsty murderer? She should have died face down in the Somme.

>the LN isn't exactly high literature in the first place.
It is.

Don't make me post it.

Do you have spare IP?

I don't know if this showwants to be serious or not, seeing how the brother and that general were acting like cartoon villains I'm leaning towards 'not'. "But Gilbert, she's just a war tool" says Dietfried as he lets out a machevolous smile. "She's only good for killing, and completely useless otherwise, just exploit this orphaned girl as much as you can and dump her in the battlefield when she's no longer of use", remarked the general as he let out a fart.

What the shit is this? Are they trying to make me laugh?

If VEG had started with this episode I wouldn't harbor as much comptempt towards it

Based

They're trying to be assholes, which they are. They knew what Violet was capable of and saw no need to treat her as a person since she couldn't even speak and refused any kind of interaction or contact. Until Gilbert showed up, that is.
Dietfried in particular can't really be blamed for his actions since we know Violet slaughtered his whole crew.
It's standard LN writing to me.

My suspension of disbelief was broken with how the military handled Violet. Forget about them being heartless, it's war that's how shit rolls, but they're extremely incompetent.

>Dietfried in particular can't really be blamed for his actions since we know Violet slaughtered his whole crew
I wish they actually showed this. In the anime we have no clue why he's so utterly disgusted by Violet. To be fair to Violet though, she did have a good reason to kill them since they wanted to rape her.

Incompetent? She was basically their key to victory, it was actually Gilbert who kept trying to screw it up.
She would've never screwed up that early assassination if the squad was ready to support her.

Are you speedwatching this shit or something?

To be fair the LN didn't have any of the generic bad military guys forcing Gilbert to do it, he did it himself because he felt Violet couldn't live a normal life because she kills anyone that her owner tells her to, and if he left her alone (i.e. in an orphanage etc.) she could be used for bad stuff.

Violet thanking the major repeatedly after he pin the brooch on her uniform makes me sad for some reason.

Gilbert told her to stay at the camp and she followed him. It happened once.
The second time they told her what to do and kept her with the unit; they succeeded.

Good, that means you caught the mood of that scene.

>it was actually Gilbert who kept trying to screw it up.
Exactly, why dump her with Gilbert, the moment he went to speak to that general they should've known he was soft, hell why is he with Gilbert in the first place if she's so important? Why aren't they training her, it seems that Dietfred found her and gave her to Gilbert for no apparent reason.

>She would've never screwed up that early assassination if the squad was ready to support her.
She was never supposed to be there.

This makes more sense

The LN has generic bad military guys sending her on assassination mission withing Leidenschaftlich and wantint to use her as disposable murder tool. They just combined the phone call from vol 2 to the anime scene. In the first place, in LN she had whole spec ops unit created for her purpose, but here they just ordered Gilbert to bring her along, since wanted to shorten the chapter as they rushed quite a lot.

i know, I meant incompetent in the sense that they left her at the care of Gilbert for no reason, see

They barely showed us anything.

Violet only obeys the Bougainvillea brothers, this is something the military cannot change. Trying to do otherwise only results in yet another dead officer in their hands.
It also isn't a bad thing to do since Gilbert's family is quite famous and has a long history of serving in the military.

And she was actually supposed to be there, those were the orders Gilbert received. But he screwed up and tried to keep her in the camp.

They showed us enough in the anime.
She killed his men for whatever reason and he's very pissed, his actions are understandable.

That "whatever reason" is important though. The way they showed it made it seem like she just randomly slaughtered his men. She attacked them because they tried to rape her. A fact that even he acknowledges. He was mad because of how brutally she murdered them.

>Violet only obeys the Bougainvillea brothers, this is something the military cannot change. Trying to do otherwise only results in yet another dead officer in their hands.
When was this explained? I watched the episode twice already in case I missed something, in any case how would the military know she only responds to those two?

>And she was actually supposed to be there
Yes that was the idea but is blaming the squad for some reason, she was not supposed to be there in the end

>She attacked them because they tried to rape her.

wot?! really?

That is actually one of the problems with how the anime handled things. The stuff she does during a test of sorts gets mentioned twice this episode but they don't show what exactly happened.
Basically they tested Violet to see if Gilbert & Dietfried were lying or not by putting Violet against a bunch of criminals that were sentenced to death. She refused to obey orders from the judge and only started butchering people after Gilbert told her to.

I think they dropped the ball here.

Nah, she killed one of them because he tried to rape her, then Dietfried got scared and left with his squad, but Violet followed them.
She followed them for days until Dietfried went over the edge and ordered his men to kill her, which Violet took as an order meant for her so she killed all of his squad save for Dietfried. This all happened on a deserted island which Dietfried and his squad were stranded at, it was changed to happen on the boat itself for whatever reason in the anime.

They've been dropping the ball since episode 1. I still don't get why they didn't adapt the novel more faithfully. The new linear structure of the narrative that apparently allowed Violet to develop from 0 wasn't really worth it, she just went from bland to a bit less bland. The new anime original characters aren't worth it either, they just had their one episode and quickly went back to being background characters. The new structure has introduced nothing but plotholes and very questionable character motivations.

This episode was to 1. Explain more of the relationship between Violet and Gilbert, especially on Gilbert's side. Mostly about the guilt he feels for using her as a weapon. 2. To drive home exactly what Violet did during the war. We know she killed a lot of people, but that's all from references to the past from other characters and a few very short flashbacks. Now we actually got to see all the brutal things she did, which should have a big impact on how the audience views her as a character.

My main problem with the adaptation has been episodes 2 and 4. Otherwise I think they're doing a great job at connecting the dots of her story.
And don't kid yourself, Violet is bland as hell for the entire novel but right now she's everything but bland in the anime. Making this story about her was their best decision honestly.

>Brutal things
She was a murderer, but there was nothing really "brutal" about the way she killed those enemy soldiers.

Is the act of killing countless people not brutal enough for you?

Just watched the new episode. Holy shit, that was savage.

>dat redhair pulling the death flag

It didn't have much impact in me to be honest, those scenes were very bland and the awful michael bay choreography doesn't help either, and we already saw a flashback of her with a bunch of bloody bodies around in episode 1, there's nothing new in this episode regarding how brutal she can be. Yes she can kill people with her bare hands and she was used as a tool of war, we know that, in the novel she played with entrails of dead bodies.

We were also aware of Gilbert's internal conflict by the few flashbacks prior to this episode. It wasn't even explored all that much this time around either, we just saw him sulking most of the time. It was honestly kind of a shallow episode.

Nah, DIO will be fine.

He pulled the death flag for Gibro.

I can't pinpoint why but I don't buy the infatuation Violet has with Gilbert. Their flashbacks together show a relationship without any sort of chemistry.

>Hodgins is DIO, Gilbert is Giorno
How did I never notice this before?

I assume she's like a chick and Gilbert is like her mother. He seems to be the first person to show her any sympathy and that's why she's infatuated with him.

You give the novel way too much credit. The only reason we know Gilbert was suffering in the novel is thanks to his monologues.
He does the same things in the anime, just without exposing the audience to endless monologues.
Comparing novel Violet to anime Violet is also pointless since they're completely different characters. One is a sadist that hardly changes and the other is an actual character that grows out of blandness.

Anime Violet > Novel Violet.

I still think the biggest flaw of this anime is with the way it's edited.

Monologuing is necessary in literature, not so much in audiovisual form, though VEG anime has had its fair share of awkward dialogue lines that serve as infodump.

Such as?

In this episode alone "just exploit this orphaned girl as much as you can" or "your family is an important financier of our military, you can't blame headquarters for keeping you safe" for example. These lines of dialogue are not natural and are just there to let the audience know certain character attributes

Cause he's the first person to ever show her any kindness. She's been seen like a tool for her entire life. Their connection isn't supposed to be on a very personal level, it's more one fueled by guilt.

Assholes during WW1 are going to be assholes, it doesn't matter if she's a kid and that officer explained his reasoning. That dialogue is there to start establishing Gilbert as the one who cared about her.
And then you have Hodgins, who just wants Gilbert to stop being so formal with a friend he hasn't seen in a while. Saying he didn't actually do shit is his way of putting himself at Gil's level.
This line of dialogue would've been completely useless if not for the purpose of showing the audience how close friends those 2 were back then. Which then brings us back to his reaction at the ending of episode 2.

>That dialogue is there to start establishing Gilbert as the one who cared about her.
Not really, it was established way before that scene.

>Saying he didn't actually do shit is his way of putting himself at Gil's level.
That line I quoted was said by Gilbert not Hodgins

>This line of dialogue would've been completely useless if not for the purpose of showing the audience how close friends those 2 were back then
That specific line I quoted was to let the audience know Hodgins came from a rich family which was financing the war and the military tried to keep him safe by putting him in command of easy battles. It did not serve to establish their friendship, there are lines, actual casual and natural sounding lines in that same scene that do that, but that particular one doesn't.

>Dual wielding a bolt action rifle

Really Kyoani? Don't these idiots have a war consultant at their studio?

>Not really, it was established way before that scene.
Not regarding how he feels about sending her to war. Which is a big theme for rest of the episode.
>That line I quoted was said by Gilbert not Hodgins
Right. That came after Hodgins tried to break the ice by saying he didn't do shit. Hodgins being a colonel from a rich family is completely irrelevant and he tries to make it irrelevant just so Gilbert stops being so damn strict about military ranks.

It's the direction, it's terrible but the writing is honestly worse, just try reading some of this dialogue out loud and you'll feel stupid.

These scenes and villains are so force, it's like battle shounen tier and it's so off putting given what they are trying to go for.

What a fucking pointless episode. We already knew what happened.

It's called having an extra shot. She immediately dumps that second rifle after she fires it.

ummm no? it's because violet is a weapon??? and good fighter?? you just don't understand

"The notion of directing a film is the invention of critics - the whole eloquence of cinema is achieved in the editing room.”

-Orson Welles

didn't have much gore

Am I the only one who thinks that both the Light Novel and the Anime could've told the story in chronologic order?

Let me guess, Gilbert is tired of war or something and that's why he hasn't shown up?

Not him, but thanks for the explanation. This anime is a fucking disaster.

If so it wouldn't only by bland, but also boring

The daughter of the goddess of war can get away with that

>loli

Speedwatchers
speedwatchers everywhere

POST IT

>100% pure concentrated autism

>leaving your waifu
Absolutely disgusting. Worst hasubanudo ever.

An episode of this under a good director with range would've been pretty eerie and unsettling, sadly the only 3 good directors at the studio are one trick ponies.

Where? I haven't seen any speedwatcher complain in this thread.

That was kinda unfair, I felt he generally had a fairly good idea. Wasn't him who initially told her anyway.

If you don't watch this at 25% speed to catch all the subtle animation then you're a speed watcher.

>they never showed her killing his crew
>what even happened last episode
>violet didn't change
>lol 2 bolt rifles bravo kyoani
It's either shitposting or legit speedwatching.

Trying to find the first three posts you're greentexting but what's wrong with the last one? It is stupid, this excuse holds no ground when Violet is shown having her fingers at both rifles' triggers, besides we were shown how fast she can reload, no matter how you look at it, it would take her more time to get rid of the extra rifle than to just use one, one extra shot isn't worth it, why not make her have the second rifle in her back?

Post what exactly?

Dropping something is always faster than picking something up or performing a trained action. Always.
Fire, let go of the second rifle, fire again, reload and repeat. It's one extra dead guy in whatever time she would otherwise take to do it with just one rifle. Her being very good with a rifle doesn't make having an extra disposable bullet a stupid move.

Is she going to go full nuclear?