youtube.com/watch?v=oP8MVKTn3Nw
cjas.org/~leng/lain.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=AFniomRX_QA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do you know everything about lain?

explain the significance of the alien

Yes

Can we ask you anything?

As long as you're online, anyone can be watching. Even when you feel like you're truly alone, you're always connected.

They will not reveal their true forms to you. You may not know what they've taken from you, when they came in, or how they left.

Speak Freely

So you love her as much as I do?

We all do

nice, but I think it's more related to showing her feelings of being "alienated" to the world surrounding her.

That's a much more immediate and literal interpretation but still valid

How do you think Lain rekindled her relationship with Adult Alice? Do you think she'd slowly give her memories back?

I would not imagine so. As Lain gave up all attachments to the life of a physical human being in order to become permanently connected to the wired, I doubt she'd be able to reveal anything about her past life with Arisu. It would be difficult to live a normal life separate from the wired knowing that the goddess exists and she touched your boobs.

So... Was it rape?

Please Provide a Specific Scenario, Dogg.

I only watched it and didn't really try to think hard on what the fuck it all meant. Could you just give me a quick rundown?

>I know everything about Lain
>Ask me anything
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_d-dRXi05s
explain

Lain didn't give up all attachments. If she did, Eiri would have become Kami-sama. Instead, Alice taught Lain the value of being human. This is symbolized by Lain pupils dilating for the first time in the series.

What happened after is Lain, blaming herself for all the damage she had done removed the memory of herself from everybody which reset time. This wasn't giving up all attachments, this was undoing the concept of Lain in a bid to make up for the pain she caused.

But Lain persisted, and I agree with the eyes youtuber that his was because Lain was still being perceived(by the viewer) and still had memories.
The point of the ending was to show Lain as a concept still existed. She could still manifest on earth as a human despite most people not remembering her beyond her familiarity (Because of what Lain is, she is in everybody). She met Adult Alice solely to reunite with the one person who kept her to earth.

Lain of the Wired is a data-based consciousness programmed directly into the 7th generation protocol(the rules of communication that allow an internet to exist) of the wired. He also programmed the protocol to function on the schumman resonance, 7.83HZ on the ELF band. This is a radio frequency which the Earth produces, at all times. This both overlays the wired over the Earth at all times, and inserts Lain into it seamlessly.

are you the same dude?

See ( in previous reply ; all [PHYSICAL] attachments )

Lain removed herself from the memory of everyone she did not want to know about her, and no longer participates in the "real world" ie, physicality. She is still a conscious being, and as such holds friendships, emotional bonds, an identity, and other such qualities that a non-corporeal being requires.

So if lain had killed her ego Eiri would have become Kami-sama?
>he programmed himself into protocol 7 along with Lain's ego. I guess you could say he was a parasite living inside of Lain. If Lain was to make reality his heaven, then he would be God.

By appearing before Adult Alice, she already has a physical form. She can have a physical form whenever she wants, because she's free to do anything now.

Lain wants a heart beat user.

I believe the same setting in which these two scenes has misled you : Their only connection in terms of direct meaning is their setting. The confusion surrounding Mika's scene is difficult for most to understand because it's meant to be entirely what Mika is going through. Both the Knights and the Men in Black actively manipulate her in order to get closer to influencing Lain: the scene presented is followed by Mika's development into a human router, bugged by the knights and left without much of a mind left.

The 7th protocol programming allows Lain to project herself as if she were a physical hologram, which can be interacted with as if it were physical, but Lain is merely an apparition caused by the advanced, vague technologies that the Wired uses.

Do not let your longing for the body cloud your inner eye, user. You are a physical being, it is excusable; but we must see the truth.

Why did Nakamura have to die?

No, that is a separate messenger.

He was no longer in need of a body. We will all go somewhere else, some day.

But he needed his body to direct Despera

That's just how it be sometimes

why do you think im crying right now user

youtube.com/watch?v=oP8MVKTn3Nw
>Notice how Eiri has the same pin-point pupils.
>I guess they're indeed sharing the same body.
You can still tell who's talking because Eiri wouldn't share his precious Echo with anyone
>b...but When Ehri stops having the echo voice, his pupils are normal as well?

>Physical hologram
Everybody is a physical hologram. Protocol 7 was the noosphere running through computers.
The line between reality and the wired never broke, but it was always broken for Lain.

Remember that the wired is and always was the Accelor of something that has always existed.

You act as if there are dedicated, specified rules as to what the Wired is. Do not claim yourself a false god.

What is it that I don't seem to understand, even though I'm a honest man?

explain the alien to me. its the one thing that i still dont fully get after all these rewatches

You don't know how badly it hurts.

It seems like you don't really feel it.

Help me, don't just stare at me...

Can't you see I'm dying?

Didn't you say you loved me?

welp nevermind it was in the thread already, silly me. heres some lain as an apology

99% sure the entire point of Accelor was to symbolize how through technology mankind accelerated the flow of human thought and information.

The most concrete idea of the wired, as a series of interconnected Navis, is the Accelor of the basel collective idea of the noosphere.

Someone was watching Lain without her knowing. Hacked into her webcam, scrolled through her internet history, stole her identity, you name it. When she saw him creeping on her, he didn't give a shit and just left.

>Accelor
I'm sorry, Accela

>Accelor

>trying to show me up even though you can't spell the name of a key plot object introduced in the second episode

wasn't that a drug that slow down everything?

Are you Lawrence Eng? I always thought his Lain blogs were cool in a nostalgic kind of way. HTML sites on a university domain was how these things used to go. cjas.org/~leng/lain.htm
Otherwise, what do you think about the PS1 game? I've downloaded it, but I haven't sat down and played through it yet. There is a fully translated English script available, if you don't mind reading along.

Accela is merely a drug which triggers the secretion of a nondescript hormone [ if i'm being entirely real I suspect DMT ], it is not something commonly consumed by the public : It's referential to club drugs in general, XTC, Acid, etc. The only time someone ever drops Accela in Lain, he kills himself. A minor plot tool.

Nah I'm actually just a 20something femanon trying to get people to actually talk about cool stuff on this board

the psx game is really really interesting and I'm glad you informed me that there's a translation : I was afraid my only chance to understand it would be when I finally finished learning Japanese.

Good

There was a pretty comfy thread on Sup Forums about the game a few days ago:

>Trying to show me up
user you're the one who's just to dodge the fact that Lain didn't go the full Buddhist route and give up earthly attachments.
It's a nano machine drug that enhances your mind so that everything slows down.
While this is true, it's significant as a nanomachine said to accelerate the mind. An enhancement of the individual. The Wired can be seen as the Accela of society. Interconnectivity is expanded upon and the exchange of information is much faster.

When trying to grasp that what Lain embodies is beyond a connection of navis, it's a useful representation of where the cancerous mass of servers she's hoarding stand in relevance her being.

That literally has nothing to do with something as intricate as an alien. That theme would be more-so associated with the amalgamation of voices and faces who love and worship Lain, as they observe the online persona.

>femanon
proveee it

also was Mika real?

are you the dude that played STALKER?

It's called being poetic I have a more layman's phrasing if you need it to be that low to the ground for you

No she isn't I am. Nobody else uses noosphere but me. I still need that Lain in STALKER clothing art.

My PC doesn't have very many of my physical pictures also im sure nobody wants this to turn into a /soc/ thread but nice try

Also I believe she's real, as she was used as an unwilling pawn, and went through her own painful, personal experiences.

Wouldn't the true removal of herself from the memory of those she wished not to know her conflict with various themes in the show? Something cannot be completely removed physically and yet everything can be made null mentally? I feel like that definitely contradicts the meaning in the overlap between both planes.

Is she a virgin?

do you have a source also

Is there anything physical about mere projections? If anything, reality would seem much more like a thin film over the wired. This would indicate that all sprouts from the wired and is merely projected into the "real world", which would result in a paradox.

S2 or movie when???

I doubt it's relevant at all but Lain knows what sex is at the very least

That was not poetic, that was associating the wrong theme with the wrong motif.

Lain knows everything.

I don't think you know what the word poetry or poetic means

Why did Lains sister go nuts?

>noosphere
you are the only user who uses this word in lain threads

Never, too small and spread apart of a fandom. Also everyone that I've ever met based on Lain is kind of an asshole so honestly I wouldn't want the following to get a resurgence

>Source
It's an interpretation of the drugs link to the guy freaking out over Lain and its relevance to the overall show. You might not agree and that's fine. But what else could an acceleration drug mean in a show about the accelerated flow of information with the arrival of the internet?

This quote is referring to collective human perception as being the wired, because the heart and soul of the wired isn't the Navi that connect them, but the perceptions (memories, knowledge, consciousness) of the people using it.

I don't think you realise that you can't call your pretentious vomit "poetic" and expect people to eat it up.

It's to distinguish the concept of the Wired as being the root component of its existence rather than the trap of assuming the Wired is just the internet.

Well, gosh, it seems like you're really mad and I don't know what to tell you, i hope you feel better soon :(

The issue here is that you think your mind is not only accelerated but operating efficiently whenever you're on a psychoactive drug like that. I don't think Accela connects anyone : that dude and Lain didn't have any active, true connection : Only the sort of distant almost-seeing-eachother that sets off paranoia, delusions, and suicide.

I don't understand what about that statement would indicate any anger at all. It's merely your misinterpretation.

I think the word vomit is, objectively, a literally disgusting thing, one of the most foul things people can think of to describe something. You seem heated. Just tell us how you really feel, user.

What could you possibly make it about?
I think Accela granted the guy insight into what Lain was and it horrified him. There was nowhere to run though.

why dont you call it collective consciousness?

I think the dude had a really bad trip but idk I've only ever tripped acid like six times...

Is Alice gay?
The whole teacher thing was just to see if Lain would be jelaous right?

Yes

Because noosphere is shorter to write
No, Alice was just a genially good person. People don't realize that Lain was given the bare minimum identity as a person to make her suffer and hold no attachments. Eiri never banked on someone so kind stepping in, which is why he was going to crush her with his meat dick.

You are so obviously someone who has a less direct understanding of what Lain went through and as such, bear less insight on this series than others who have

What are you saying user, that I don't believe Alice was gay?

That and also the phrase "crush her with his meat dick" is particularly revolting and i used you to let out my anger because I don't really respect you that much, sorry

youtube.com/watch?v=AFniomRX_QA

@4:28
men in black?

Generally speaking, does the show depict the internet addiction?

pretty heavily yeah, think about all those dudes who got iced by the knights later in the series, they all seemed pretty hooked in

Well what else was Eiri going to crush her with? The guy was not really good at forming a human body.

What are Lain's 3 sizes?

Why was her sister so fucked up?
The point of the whole thing was that the net was our collective thoughts and that sub conscious layer creates a super intelligence, which we call God?

>Alice was just a genially good person
Alice wanted to be good friends with Lain.
Good friends, best friends, close best friends...
I-It's ok to hug right? We are girls after all, we can show some emotions.
Just the two of us watching a romantic movie is normal. It's also ok to have a sleepover and cuddle eachother to sleep. Girls do that with close friends.

W-we are just practising some kissing to be well prepared for our future boyfriends. It's nothing really.

I took it to have something to do with how hoaxes and conspiracies develop and thrive even in the face of constant denial by professionals

Her sister got hacked, her mind possibly switched with Alice's phone. It's implied Mika was the one that implanted the "parasite bomb" in Lain's navi.

At that point in the show, the line between the wired and reality was thin enough that the Knights could hack brains.

When her program was complete Mika became phone. As for why her parents stopped caring? It's possible they were simple unaware. Some people also speculate the possibility that Mika was a program but I doubt it considering she exists in the reset as a normal person and is most likely the actual biological daughter of the Iwakura's.

Alice married her teacher, I'm sorry /u/.

Was it really necessary to take off all clothes to work on the computer?

When and why did Lain become so obsessed with Touko's personality and life.

I know Lain can hear everybody's thoughts because of the internet protocol 7, functioning on the schumman resonance (where all the human thoughts are), that connects the noosphere and the real world. Also Eiri created Lain, that is a human sentient version of the noosphere, in order to put his memories on her and live forever. So, by killing Lain's ego he'll become the only Kami,right?

It was necessary for my eyes

it was necessary to blur the image when Lain welcome back her sister?