Is all the praise for this show some kind of meme? It was just a standard shonen anime that was full of stock cliches...

Is all the praise for this show some kind of meme? It was just a standard shonen anime that was full of stock cliches, and tried to make up for it with the extra edge that almost everyone cute or innocent ended up murdered.

my AOTYAY desu senpai

DO I FIT IN YET ?????????????????!!!

This is the type of show that relies on the viewer paying attention to the dialogue but it seems like you fast forwarded through all of it to just watch the fight scenes.

I like the art style, reminds me of zetsubou.
Is it decent enough to watch ?

It sure wasn't perfect but it had some interesting ideas/philosophy, neat artstyle, fun and sometimes deep characters, great soundtrack and cool fights. I liked it.

one of my alltime favorites if not complete favorite. It makes for a great watch, but it's nisio-must-die-tier in terms of dialogue, so just a heads up.

If you like any of Nishio's other works, then probably. It's a good series in its own right, certainly.

If he likes Kumeta's works like SZS he can probably handle Nishio's walls of dialogue.

you make this post but then I have to ask you, what are some series that you enjoyed and feel were well written?

Yes, all that dialogue where the ninjas are raising the kinds of death flag cliches that would make teenagers in a horror movie roll their eyes or conveniently explaining their powers to their foes so they can be used against them is riveting stuff.

>full of stock cliches, and tried to make up for it with the extra edge that almost everyone cute or innocent ended up murdered
Nobody innocent died. It sounds like you missed the theme of people meeting their ruin through using the swords to resist the course of history. Every one of them had a chance to stop, and several took it. Including the cute and truly innocent ones.

If you liked SZS, you can probably handle the dialogue to action ratio that puts a lot of people off. The fights are maybe 1-2 minutes of a 40 minute episode. But I'd call it Nisio's best writing, probably because he had strict deadlines through the making of the thing. For all its dialogue it's still far more to the point than his other works.

I don't mind verbal diarrhea as long as it's decent character development, I'll give it a try.

itt: the worst last words in all of history

>thinks its shounen

newfags trying to act like people

>everyone cute or innocent
so nobody

>explaining their powers to their foes so they can be used against them
Anime or hell even mainstream movies aren't for you. Now leave this place and never come back.

Sorry that I'm calling out retarded cliches that only exist because of shitty writers who have no idea how to advance action scenes except through pandering dialogue, but said shitty writers shouldn't be writing action focused series to begin with.

>owning a BD box set would run me like 450$

>writers who have no idea how to advance action scenes
Let's say there wouldn't be any "pandering dialogue" you'd be screeching about asspulls or plotholes. You won't find fantasy action tv shows either where everything is set up without a verbal diarrhea. Go read a book if you want that, anime is simply not for you.

Poor Pengin. Maskshitter deserved a far worse death and didn't deserve Hitei keeping his mask.

all *gatari are overrated trash, katanagatari is probably the best one though

Just restricting things to the samurai genre for a moment, I'm going to mention a movie and a series that both did way the fuck more for me than this did. One is pic related, which, yes, is cliched and basic bitch as fuck, but it knows that's what it is and it does its job beautifully. Action scenes are actually conveyed via action, rather than characters pausing their fights for minutes at a time to talk about what their strategies are, what their plans are, and all other manner of shit that completely kills my immersion. In other words, it's kid friendly and does its job right.

The series is Shigurui. That series is unmistakably edgy right from the outset, but again, it's also relatively sparse on the dialogue, and characters engaged in mortal combat actually treat each other as if they're engaged in mortal combat. Not fucking once do they explain how their fighting styles work, they just use them to kill their opponents and take advantage of the fact that they don't know. And weirdly, as much as Shigurui is an edgy show, there wasn't a single moment that felt as gratuitously cruel as the death of the penguin ninja.

If Katanagatari wanted to be a deep show, why was it crammed full of shitty shonen cliches? If it wanted to be a shonen show, why did it give us a stuttering, cutebait kid character getting mouthraped with a gun and then blown apart with said gun? It felt like an uncanny valley that was trying to be everything at once, and just left me feeling put off.

Most of the fighting scenes were full of asspulls anyway. It's not not an asspull just because they say shit like 'the protagonist can't fight her because she's a loli with no training and is thus completely unpredictable'.

Which is fine. I wasn't exactly watching the series for realistic choreography or anything like that, but let's not kid ourselves here.

Genuine question, but did you fast forward through SotS like you seem to have Katanagatari? Because a lot of it is long stretches of fuck all happening and it's certainly not "kid friendly" because of it's pacing.

You are kidding yourself with the expectations though. You won't find what you're looking for in anime generally, especially one with supernatural elements.

I fast forwarded through neither. You seem to not really comprehend my point if you think it can be reduced down to 'it's boring because they weren't fighting as much as I'd like'. The character interactions in SotS felt natural. Dialogue largely conveyed what it needed to to develop the characters and the plot, and there was very little fluff. The action scenes were advanced with action, and not with dialogue explaining the action. SotS just gets storytelling completely fucking right.

Katanagatari felt a lot more awkward, even without the tonal stuff I mentioned before. It doesn't seem to understand that there's a time for developing characters and a time for fighting.

>full of stock clichés

Looks like you missed most of the subtleties. Aside from the opponent of the month structure, it's nothing like your average shounen.

I think you managed to go into watching this under the wrong impression and without knowing who Nisio is. It's an adaptation of a LN by a guy that loves giving characters long bits of dialouge.
What I'm more confused about is why you consider it standard shounen and edgy.

>user misses the point entirely
Everytime

I don't think prior knowledge about the source material and director should be required to judge an anime. And giving the disclaimer that it's made by someone who loves giving characters long bits of dialogue just makes it sound like the guy is bad at doing adaptations. I'm usually not the person who harps on about 'show don't tell', but in this case there really should have been more show and less tell.

You're being really obtuse about your complaints about the cliches.
The show did exactly what you're praising other shows for.
Katanagarari does the TRUE action exactly when it needs to be done. Everything else is a build up for tension.
Nisio just happens to use dialogue to use make tension, a little like Tarantino does in the opening scene of inglorious bastards.

>I don't think prior knowledge about the source material and director should be required to judge an anime.
It's not that. You referenced the praise for the show, so it's kinda odd you didn't hear about how wordy it is. That's the author's style, he fucking loves wordplay.

The entire point of this show is to play with shounen clichés and subvert them you absolute plebeian

It has great art, doesn't overstay its welcome and has witty dialogue unlike most shounen.

Andif I were to ask you for arguments your answer would be either
>edgy/selfinsert/whatever buzzwords duuuuuuuuuuuur how can't you see how shit your taste is
>uuuuuuuuur nisio
>uuuuuuuuur nisio
>no U tell me why it's good
>uuuuuuuuur nisio

I don't like any of Nishio's other works but loved this. Hell I think I dropped everything else he has made except this and I have watched this several times.

I can kind of see why. Katanagatari is pretty short and well-contained compared to his other significant works, bar Zaregoto. Medaka Box went on for a good while and Monogatari may never end.

I tried Monogatari when it was airing years back and I just could not stomach the dialogue and retarded tilts of heads and screens. The dialogue in Katanagatari didn't bother me and the tilting and random angles of zetsubou sensei didn't bother me either. Hell I watched all of Moonphase and that shit has a bunch of stupid as fuck angles and enjoying random tilting of the screen and necks.

So was it the Shaft headtilting + Nishio dialogue in combination that was too much for you, or something else? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I think it was the Shaft retard angles + Nishio retarded dialogue that did it. Maybe even the stories that I did not find interesting.The snail shit was boring and I wished it were end but it kept going. I didn't like many Ars man and so watching MC I didn't like fling his dick around wasn't interesting either. Didn't like Medaka as a character, she was insufferable.

>Didn't like Medaka as a character, she was insufferable.
Well that's legitimately understandable, but did you at least read up to Kumagawa and Ajimu?

I skipped around until Ajimu parts and I actually enjoyed her. Didn't like Kumagawa much either. Ajimu and Zenkichi carried that shit for me.

What's that from?