Just finished it and, to me, watamote doesn't feel like a story about a young girl...

Just finished it and, to me, watamote doesn't feel like a story about a young girl. It feels the the story of a young man which uses a girls avatar to be more sympathetic. Women who say they have high social anxiety tend to tell large groups of people while they're the center of attention whereas men become shut-ins and eventually have to grow up and get over their problems or neck themselves.

Do you think watamote would have gotten any positive attention If It was the same situation but gender swapped? Do you think a woman could ever honesty have this sane exact experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/uq2RLn9-KqY
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MenAreTheExpendableGender
youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E
youtube.com/watch?v=GYua-3JmnT4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Girls can have autsim too user. Just look at Sup Forums full of little girls and autistic people.

well it was written by a guy so very likely possibility

Girls with autism just have amplified bitch fits during their time of the month. They're social retards sure, but being women has this inherent thing that prevents them from reaching the level men do unless they're hideous.

the fact that she finds friends later in anime proves your point

go back to tumblr

What part of that implied tumblr? I knew high functioning autistic girls in high school.

The mangaka is a guy and girl.

Tomoko just has social anxiety and that's it.

It's definitely possible for women to be anxious retards, go back to r9k

It happens to ugly girls. You're just too simple to understand that 2D girls are cute by default by our standards, but in Tomoko's world she's an uggo.

I've seen it happen to a couple of pretty (not super beautiful, but fuckable) girls too, they usually came from difficult family situations and didn't know how to deal with people

not really. my sister is kinda like that. good for her. i would flip my shit if chad pumped and dumped her.

A trans?

Tomoko isn't ugly you motherfucker!

Watamote is written and drawn by a guy and a girl respectively

The guy went to Tokyo U

The girl was a NEET

From what little we know about the author artist duo, the male had a pretty active social life in high school. Tomoko seems to borrow from the female artist a LOT more than from him (although she does seem to get her perverse side from him).

>Women who say they have high social anxiety tend to tell large groups of people while they're the center of attention

How would you know, /r9k/?

You’re a fucking dumbass

It's a shit series anyway. How did such an autist suddenly become a norrmalfag with a harem? Shit writing thats how.

This entire thread stinks of /r9k/.

A guy does the writing and a girl draws the art iirc

It's is because she is not girly. That is kind of the whole point. Her struggles aren't from her gender, they stem from her social anxiety. Age 14 is social anxiety city, during that transition from middle school to high school.

>It feels the the story of a young man which uses a girls avatar to be more sympathetic
Welcome to Anime and Manga
>Do you think a woman could ever honesty have this sane exact experience?
Yeah, of course. It sounds like you don't actually know girls at all user. And I don't even mean befriend them, just watched them. Some of them are pretty shut-ins.

Idiot lol

but tomoko is cute

Tomoko got more cute

I like to think tomoko is perfectly mediocre looking, hence why she goes unnoticed for so long

Not a robot but, if you honestly believe that a socially akward woman would have anywhere near as troubled of a life as a socially awkward man, you're delusional.

Tomoko's not normal

It's just that everyone else is as weird as her

Having friends doesn't make you a normalfag. Hard to believe, I know. It just makes you less of a loser compared to the genuine losers.

What a weird combination

From what we know about them though, the girl is the bigger failure and shut in before becoming a mangaka.
Tomoko originally was going to look different, but the editor told them to make her more cute. That's why she has big eyes and is short. She was going to be a tall girl before.

The artist worked part time some of the time. She did it for a while, then dropped out to NEETdom but ran out of money and became a part timer again.

Toyo not Tokyo U.

Explain how a socially awkward woman is less troubled than man? They're about the same in my opinion, maybe an introvert/autistic guy would mentally suffer a bit more because men are expected to be assertive and respectable more than women, but practically both suffer about as much regarding social and financial condition.

Yes. Example is me.

show benis

>I have never interacted with women but let me tell you how they act
Good thread.

Yeah but that doesn't happens in japan.

>She was going to be a tall girl
Proto-Tomoko is cute too.

The natural instinct towards women is to protect them, the natural instinct towards men is to beat them up and humiliate them.

Most socially awkward girls never felt a fist to the face nor the apathy of their elders to their suffering nor the fact that no one will ever give a damn about them. A troubled girl, no matter how fat or homely they are, will get some sympathy. A young man will not.

There is no refuting this.

I don't whether you're just trolling or not. In case you aren't and really mean it, I highly suggest that you see a shrink and try and work out your issues. The world isn't as dark as you make it to be.

Lots of girls get bullied and condemned too though. I mean, just visit the /cow/ board on the other chan.

Why are you complaining about the, it's just your role in society

He should just go be a tranny.

This shit is totally wrong information.
The mangaka graduated 東洋(Touyou) Univ (Deviation value:35~40, Trash level) not 東京(Toukyou) Univ (Deviation value: 75~80, One of the best school in Asia) which is the best univ in Japan.
I was cheated mangaka of watamote is too much smart.

See, you have no real rebuttal for it because you know it's true. When a young man commits suicide from having a broom handle shoved up his ass, people ignore it, when a young woman commits suicide cause she slept with the wrong guy and was called a slut, we make Netflix specials about her life story.
Both men and women get mocked on /cow/ but it, the difference is staggeringly one-sided.

But the pic you replied to did say Toyo, not Tokyo.

I hope your life turns around, user. Honestly.

So American University have these ratings?

Shits were my eyes.
I'll go ophthalmology this weekend.

i'm sure her ghost takes great pleasure from the fame you deranged fuck

>that noise she makes whenever she exerts

So mockery. I just hope you admit to yourself it's true.
Probably more then the young man who dealt with and never is uttered in even a whisper

I don't know. American Universities usually take SAT system to exam. It's impossible to calculate difficulty.
But I can measure English University.
London School of Economics is about 67 (Middle upper class).

you're not wrong
men are more affected by this shit than women are, and men usually suffer more
that doesn't mean, however, that women can't be socially retarded too, which was the point the op of this thread was trying to make

Why did you felt the need to add "there is no refuting this", are you afraid of arguments that might even slightly challenge your opinion?

No. I mean that there isn't any refuting. It's something everyone know but no one wants to admit. You can try to, but you'll look like a fool doing it.

> High-functioning
There you have it.

I think you are being a bit of a retard here. The point of the manga isn't that she has a troubled life. In fact, pretty much everyone in the manga tries to be nice to her.

The point of the manga is that she is a NEET-lite who finds excuses as to why she's alone and comes up with ridiculous ideas that take the pressure off of her. The best part of watamote is that it calls out introverts for being the shit people they are and not the "oh I'm so shy but I'm really a nice person!" bullshit

youtu.be/uq2RLn9-KqY

Someone is going to respond to this in the formula of "if she was a man, nobody would've been nice to her and I want my legitimate suffering points" or something.

>The point of the manga is that she is a NEET-lite who finds excuses as to why she's alone and comes up with ridiculous ideas that take the pressure off of her. The best part of watamote is that it calls out introverts for being the shit people they are and not the "oh I'm so shy but I'm really a nice person!" bullshit
Seems like a lot of people missed that message with how people sympathized with her.

>this fucking thread

Thanks user, I always get a good chuckle about guys like you and their warped views.

On topic, if this show was about you it would definitely bomb.

>Because nobody cares about masculine social anxiety don't you understand it would be just TOO dark for the unwashed masses

Seening OP's point proven in real time.

>choku
massively underrated

leave your basement holy shit

I bet you post on

>this is now a controversial statement on Sup Forums

Good grief.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MenAreTheExpendableGender

The Reddit influx is real.

Oh look, it is a MALE(not a female) trying to talk about FEMALE problems as if he knows anything about them when he isn't even a FEMALE to begin with and therefore cannot begin to know that.
All you know about girls you learned from your mommy and your pathetic anime harems, not experience.
YOU RETARD.

>Neatly pack problems into a cute Highschool girl so that viewers won't shoot themselves in the head.
Bliss.

We actually discussed a gender swapped watamote in the tomoko tuesday thread, it sounded pretty legit. Especially with all the characters there are now.

Ah ah, come on don't give him the benefit of the doubt with that shitty ass argument. It's not that he's a male talking about females. It's that it's a male talking about females without knowing a single one of them in medium depth.

I see tumblr has taken over the playground.

One could almost say that he needs to...check his privilege?

The problem isn't that he's wrong on the average, the problem is he is using some cringe as fuck reasoning to talk shit about Sup Forums's favorite manga. In fact, I doubt he or you have even watched/read Watamote if you think anything he is saying makes sense.

na

> I doubt you have even watched/read Watamote

I have. I'm just a bit horrified at what's happening to Sup Forums. When the site that removed every Rance, loli, and rape article reminds me less of tumblr than Sup Forums does its a cause for alarm.

Because Watamote is aimed to MALE audiences and men only understand the "i am dumb and nerd" social anxiety.

Guys can we go back to the /u/ shitposting from last thread?

>cringe as fuck

its possible in japan

I get a little bit Genghis Khan.
Don't want you to get it on.
With nobody else but me.
With nobody else but me!

youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E

You think manko is worried about yuri because of her obsessive behavior or jealous of tomoko because she's getting more attention?

not being a /r9k/ incel is tumblr

Look, there's no doubt that there's some truth to the notion that people tend to be more sympathetic to women. That's undeniable. But, to take Watamote as an example is just ludicrous. Tomoko my gut get sympathy from the fans, but the manga itself isnt the least bit hesitant of making Tomoko look like a complete moron. The manga isn't sympathetic to her at all.

A lotta toxic masculinity in this thread,i tell ya.

>manko

Seriously though, I don't think those two explanations are mutually exclusive. Mako has probably noticed that Yuri is drifting away from her, since it is very obvious that she enjoys the company of Tomoko much more than hers these days. However, it probably leans towards worry over her obsessive behavior, Mako even scolded Yuri for how she barged in when Tomoko was hanging out with her old friends.

Oh god i just noticed i did that, it's because i watched that hamster video i swear

This video might be relevant to many itt :

youtube.com/watch?v=GYua-3JmnT4

>Do you think watamote would have gotten any positive attention If It was the same situation but gender swapped?
Welcome to the NHK?

>introverts are shit
(You)

(and You)

You think she may have abandonment issues or does she actually like tomoko?

what was interesting to me was finding out they were fans of Peanuts (unless i dreamt that up)

i always thought the whole self-deprecating self-insert angle reminded me of Peanuts and it was neat to see i was right