How exactly would you describe "mono no aware" in your own words? Which anime or manga evoked this feeling for you?

How exactly would you describe "mono no aware" in your own words? Which anime or manga evoked this feeling for you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UyK1VYUY_BI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I dont get it why people liked this sol garbage, it was a total snorefest.

Not that I made it to the end

Words which pseuds use to prop up shitty slice of life

Wew. Going to get a lot replies with this kind of bait.

As expected from a fan of Kinoko "the hack" Nasu.

I don't know what it means, but I saw people say that about potatoes and I loved that show.

It's kind of like nostalgia or melancholy, but more neutral.
Fortunately it lends itself to the sort of limited animation that anime budgets like. Mono no aware is one of the things I think anime and manga is far better at than anything else.

Tabi Machi Late Show was pretty good at it, and is something people probably missed.

That's just because you only know anime and manga

slice of life.

Well I've never seen a western TV show or movie even attempt it. I'm doubtful that prose can do it well because you have to read it kind of actively, which is somewhat contrary to the feeling. Poetry maybe, but I'm not a fan of poetry.

Maybe don't look to mainstream western culture for Japanese concepts

There are parallel things in lots of books, just not exactly the same as the Jap representation of it usually is.

Its not a bait, the green moeblob and his old man got boring rather quickly. Even her robofriend didnt shake things up much

Its boring and I dropped it before anything interesting happened. Well, I did slog through multiple novels before dropping it though, it didnt just get good

No shit. Did you not understand my point at all?
Such as?

I'd say that it's about the inevitability of change, and the necessity of humans being able to accept that and its conclusions. It can take various forms - in Aria that change was about youth maturing into adults, with the world remaining the same. In Shoujo Shuumatsu it was about a world that was already dead, and two people learning to accept that fact (or revealing that fact to the reader).

I would describe it as some "happy sadness" over lost things and acceptance of the end, mostly in form of a enjoyable SoL in a weird setting.

I'm way off, but for me, it's knowing the thing you're seeing and experiencing in the moment will never happen again. That beautiful sunset you're seeing right now? You will never ever see it again, because the conditions for it will never be replicated again. A more beautiful one may come tomorrow, or it may not come in years.
For me, it's not merely a simple wistfulness about the transience, the impermanence beautiful sunsets, but about all things, even the most mundane of things. You will never see that same thing, these same events, these same conditions again, and that is okay. It's accepting this and feeling a certain kind of sadness over the passage of it.

Though I am not a native English speaker, so I can't exactly put this feeling into words. It might not be mono no aware, but an entirely different feeling by itself.

Ever read The Wind in the Willows? That's one, particularly if you're a certain type of bong. Some Tolkien stuff. I remember getting that feeling from Moonfleet but it's be a very long time since I've read that, so I'm not too sure.

I guess not, perhaps don't name western works specifically if that's not what you mean.

The phrase "mono no aware" was coined by Motoori Norinaga in his scholarship on Genji no Monogatari (which we only regard as a classic today because of his rehabilitation of its image). It's literally defined by a work of prose.

What most of the anons in this thread are talking about is simply the more general concept of wabi-sabi, the idea that beauty lies in impermanence and imperfection. Mono no aware specifically refers to the empathic sorrow one feels at the fleetingness of earthly things; it doesn't have quite the philosophical edge you're giving it. I strongly suspect you've learned the term through the works of that hack, Susan J. Napier, who wouldn't know the difference between tanka and renku if I composed an entire cycle singlehandedly to insult her.

Tell me more about Genji. I know that it was immensely popular and highly regarded among Heian court nobility for the obvious academic strengths of its author; when did it fall into such neglect that it needed rehabilitation?

>Mono no aware is one of the things I think anime and manga is far better at than anything else.
I disagree. Poetry, and certain movies (I can't give names since I watched them decades ago) are better at expressing mono no aware. Anime can do it well sometimes, but it's prone to being too forceful. Instead of letting the atmosphere talk for itself, you'll have a character that rudely butts in and explains the thing outloud.

>Mono no Aware doesnt have analogues and similar concepts in Cinema
Just lol.
Not many anime have reach Stalker's level of 物の哀れ

Not really. SoL can evoke that feeling, but not every SoL does it.

Melancholy

Probably the end of that court culture with the ascension of the Shogunate (read Heike Monogatari for details). Also to be honest it's an interesting and vivid work worthy of respect, but somewhat useless for trying to form a national culture. It's kind of like the Jane Austen of Heian Japan.

the exact opposite of stereo yes ignorant

Тоска.

>Stalker
I didn't feel comfortable watching that film, at all.

I liked The Mirror more. It's about a man's personal memories so it fits the concept better.

You got me into reading some interesting stuff about Motoori Norinaga, thanks user.

Aria has a fair bunch of that in Origination, although in the end it still feels a bit cyclical compared to how devastating YKK portrays the pass of time.

The final episode of Avennire had it in spades.

Indeed, not seeing the cat ever again (kinda like Misato in YKK) and all those comment from Akari about the bittersweet feeling of change and pass of time

Misago*

The melancholic yet comforting feeling you get from realizing that time passes and nothing lasts forever and why treasuring the small and seemingly insignificant moments of life is important. Feeling sad about loss or the inevitable nonexistance of everything is part of it, "aware" translates to something similar to grief or melancholy after all, but making peace with it and not letting fear, regrets, or despair control your life is the main takeaway.

YKK, SSR, Aria, and Sora no Woto are the main works that come to mind, they're often brought up for good reason.

Memento Mori

SnW was too silly to take seriously for me, haven't watched SSR.

What really hit was Athena not showing up to the tea party because she had another appointment (her VA died years ago). Then Alice saying that eventually a miracle would reunite them. If you listen to the commentary track you'll hear one of the VAs start crying at that point.

Feeling of time that goes, melancholy, awareness of your mortality, bittersweet and happy because you can still appreciate this mortality

think of a sakura tree blooming and dying afterwards

youtube.com/watch?v=UyK1VYUY_BI

Wabi Sabi

Little House on the Prairie

Lacrimae rerum

Nihilism
Nothing because I refuse to partake in ascetic practices

Bittersweet. Something beautiful and calming, but makes you sad at the same time. Feelings of longing and nostalgia when it's an idea or scene you can personally relate to

I feel it every New Year's Eve.