Pre-90s anime Thread

I miss hand-drawn cell painted anime.

Attached: miracle-girls.jpg (640x456, 123K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xNX10LanfiA
inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55284.0
myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=2&tag=&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=1970&em=0&ed=0&ey=1989&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=d&c[4]=e&gx=0&genre[0]=25&o=2&w=1&o=2&w=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Pre-90s anime Thread
This is proper manner to start a thread for retro anime.

Ikr. I'm fucking tired of Toonami-core in a retro anime thread.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 14K)

Oh god. Does this count as anime?

What's wrong with pre-2000s threads (as in, 1999 and before)? I don't think there was that much of a drop in hand drawn-ness during the 90s as compared to the 80s. The transition to digital was more the early and mid 2000s.

>"Awww man, you guys remember Outlaw Star?"

There's a big difference between early 90s stuff and late 90s, user. Early 90s stuff looks and sounds old as balls. It seems kind of silly to me to consider stuff like the first season of Sailor Moon not retro. And sorry if I feel a little confused over OP labeling this a pre-90s thread and posting an anime from 1993.

>cell
>implying 90s anime was on digital cels rather than acrylic
>implying digital anime isn't "hand-drawn"
>nostalgia-fag OP
Shit thread.

gotta love how its always the people who cant even spell "cel" who "love it so much".

Rude!

>implying 90s anime wasn't entirely digital

I read that 50 percent of anime were digital by 1987, and close to 100 percent by 1992.

No.

I miss casual nudity.

Attached: Street.Fighter.2.-.The.animated.movie.-.dual.audio.JAP.EN.UNCUT.avi_snapshot_00.47.27_[2014.01.10_05 (512x288, 19K)

Patlabor TV doesn't even sound that old, maybe you have watched some poor video quality.

There's no possible way that's correct.

Sailor Moon sounded super old and tinny to me, but the episodes I downloaded back in the day were low-quality, 30-40 MB rvmb files.

I just watched the 1080p release, and it sounds great. Maybe educate yourself a bit before you start making retarded generalizations.

Mahoramatic S1 was the last night-live anime produced on cels and that was in the early 00s.

The first digital produced anime was Oh! My Goddess Mini, which was quite the big deal back in the days and you can see the Apple logo in the credits.

This sounds much more accurate. Thank you.

Shin Chan is the best.
youtube.com/watch?v=xNX10LanfiA

Oh, blow it out your ass. I'm not in the mood to deal with an obnoxious nostalgiatard.

Also, Stereo TV was relatively uncommon at the beginning of the 90s ( inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=55284.0 ). A lot of 90s anime, particularly during the first half of the decade, used mono audio. Mono audio sounds a lot different and, yes, older. Now fuck off.

>the main villain actually destroyed Earth, Venus, and Mercury and almost brought down the heroes by burying them on the sun

Ganbaruger had quite the hardcore ending

>claims show sounds tinny
>admits to having a shitty encode
>has their obvious hypocrisy pointed out
>immediately becomes dismissive and insulting
>calling people who like old anime "nostalgiatards" in a thread about old anime
>deflects with non sequitr about mono and audio sounding "older," a completely meaningless statement
Riveting stuff, user.

You're the one who got defensive and acted like a bitch first. And people who get riled up when others claim that older media/older technologies are different from contemporary stuff in any way are indeed nostalgiatards.

I'm tired, do me a favor and go kill yourself so that you can stop talking to me.

>riled up
user, I'm merely pointing out that you can't claim to make a judgment about Sailor Moon's audio when you haven't even heard a proper recording.
>when others claim that older media/older technologies are different from contemporary stuff in any way
When did I ever claim otherwise? Of course they are different. The entire process has been changed from what it was in say, the 80s. Why are you putting words in my mouth?

I remember Marmalade Boy having a similarly tinny quality, so it's not just Sailor Moon; but yeah, now that I think about it, most of the other 90s anime I've seen (Ranma, Slayers, DBZ) had better audio quality than SM or MB, despite having certain qualities that are much different from 2000s and 2010s series.

Not gonna lie, I had no idea Miracle Girls was made in 1993 when I made this thread

>pre-90s

What kind of autism impels you to write this instead of "80s".

The 70's.

Attached: IMG_0069.png (500x362, 239K)

>70s anime don't exist
>neither do 60s

Also, when the fuck is all of the 90s Sailor Moon going to get a BD release? CCS got a full BD release, they should too. The art would look just as gorgeous, I'm sure.

I'd have probably guessed somewhere between 1986 and 1994 based on the opening pic.

Attached: Katsudou Shashin (1907).webm (320x240, 281K)

Pre-90s implies a closeness to the number 90. Instead, you should write "anime from 1960-1989" etc, that is much more specific and less vague

Sailor Moon ran from 1983 to 1988, you ignorant neanderthal.

Toonami only showed like 1% of anime that aired in the 90s....not a good argument here.

Why are you opposed to 50s anime, user?

Attached: Hakuja_den_-_1_-_Complete_Movie_-_[80sOtaku](dub.sub_ja.it).webm (640x480, 2.97M)

that will just lead to war and shitposting and the threads getting deleted bcause of "muh safe space"

Maybe we should have different threads for different decades. These threads tend to go too fast anyway.
Or a whole new board.

Attached: 1515437202193.jpg (640x640, 99K)

I've been pushing for /ar/ for years. Nuke /m/ and give us /ar/

you're right. Sup Forums gets a retro off-shoot, but Sup Forums is swimming in seasonal anime threads and waifufagging.

>Nuke /m/ and give us /ar/
I'd be a lot more ok with this idea than just making an /ar/, but where would Kamen Rider go?

>Oh My Goddess Mini

...nope? Urusei Yatsura switched to digital the August of 1984. That was the first digital serialized TV anime. Here's stats for what percentage of TV anime were digital by the end of each year (the conversion took about a solid decade to fully play out).

December 1984: 2 percent
December 1985: 11 percent
December 1986: 29 percent
December 1987: 46 percent
December 1988: 55 percent
December 1989: 69 percent
December 1990: 83 percent
December 1991: 90 percent
December 1992: 96 percent
December 1993: 100 percent

>Nuke /m/ and give us /ar/
This. Tokushit can go to Sup Forums or /jp/ where it belongs. DarliFra threads are barely even being posted on /m/, so it clearly isn't serving its purpose.

Urusei Yatsura was done on acrylic cel its entire run.

Sup Forums or /jp/

I'm quite sure first digital TV anime was Love Hina.

There aren't slow, meditative anime like Mushishi, Kino or Aria in the pre-90s other than Akage no Anne

Where are you pulling this bullshit from? You're either very confused or being intentionally misleading.

I'm sure there's others, user. The 70s and 80s had a lot of family-friendly stuff.

Hmm, I wouldn't know..

No, instead there are fun long-running shows with great animation like Lupin III, Space Adventure Cobra and Urusei Yatsura. Have fun with your boring slideshow shit. Aria is a horrible adaptation, by the way.

you can't kill /m/ because it more than just old mecha anime discussion. since it has mecha games and pla models discussion too.
but tokushit should go to Sup Forums anyway

>mecha games and pla models discussion too
Those threads belong on Sup Forums and /toy/.

999 Galaxy Express

Sup Forums don't lik /m/ and every mecha general on /vg/ dies too fast.
/m/ is for mecha in general not just anime.

So what is your version of history, user? When do you think digital became the norm?

Post your sources first.

I notice you're trying to redirect instead giving us a citation for your figures.

I wouldn't really want to disassemble an older board, either, but I'd think remaking it into /anime retro/ would be better than just adding another board to further separate discussion. The addition of more and more specific boards is slowly killing this site, I feel. It's really apparent if you go to a board like Sup Forums and then look at /vr/.

Managed to get smacked around twice AND get his ass kicked all in the span of one episode.

Attached: DYCTS3_W4AAO19p.jpg (943x666, 67K)

Define digital. Compositing? Paint?

hmm, i was thinking more spiritual themed

There go the goal posts.

Both. The 1983 Golgo III movie led to a digital craze which resulted in an extremely rapid adoption of digital animation and to a lesser degree CGI.

Who /floof/ here?

Attached: IMG_6424.gif (500x370, 491K)

What do you mean "more spiritual themed", all of those animes you mentioned carry a lot of the themes of Mushishi, Aria, etc, very existential anime about life, the spirit. etc, have you even watched 999?

Sup Forums is an reincarnation of 2009/10 Sup Forums that barely talks about video games and just do shitpost and gets triggered by anything.
/m/ is more than just old mecha anime discussions it is like killing /jp/ and making all the idolfags come shitpost on Sup Forums you don't want that. the boards have their own specific culture that will lead to shitpost war and if /vr/ is anything to go by. /ar/ will turn into a stupidly slow board with old people with a stick up their butts with retarded rules for discussion like not allowing ps2 discussion even tho it is 2 generation old console just because which will lead to an useless board that only talks about the same shows because it turned into a "sekrit club"

Either you are taking the piss, or being intentionally misleading or only technically correct with the techniques you're describing. Provide examples. Describe the process.

Not too mention its also a nomadic anime as well

999 is nothing like Anne or YKK, the defining standard of that type of story.

t. Butt blasted cawadooty nigger

/vr/ is absolutely one of the best boards on the site, /ar/ would be right up there
>laserdisc threads
>ova threads
>translation tracking and weekly watch threads
>oldschool best girl threads

>Sup Forums is an reincarnation of 2009/10 Sup Forums
Huh, so watching what's happening now on Sup Forums is like watching how Sup Forums died? Interesting. I stopped going to Sup Forums about 2009ish, so I never did see how it went from meme central to what it is today.

please, use the spoiler tag

This is such unsourced BS.

floof forever

No. It'd cause, in best case, old anime to be bullied and redirected to /ar/ and Sup Forums would lose all connection to older anime, in worst case it'd actually be banned and you'd get warnings for talking about non-seasonal anime. It'd kill Sup Forums, and /ar/ would only be filled with waifu dumps for Ranma and Sailor Moon anyway, discussion would be hard to do.
And realistically, there'd be a rule about "2000", like /vr/ has, when it should be a certain age always floating a few years behind present year. There are so many great early 2000s anime that deserve way more attention, and those anime would probably be banned on /ar/, and the change in Sup Forums culture would make them even more difficult to talk about here too.

>EVA general
>toonami general
>dubfag general
>YYH vs DB powerlevel thread
Sounds like heaven.

>It'd kill Sup Forums
You can't kill what is already dead. /ar/ would salvage the best of what Sup Forums used to be.

>keeps it away from you
What do you have to lose?

Old vidya is talked about on Sup Forums plenty. 2000 is a fine rule, realistically it should be 2007 but how do you pitch that as fair?

Ace wo Nerae and Roses of Versaille are important shojos of the 70s and Utena and Oniisama e of the 90s, but what other worthwhile shojos are there?

Princess Tutu, Candy Candy, Akage no Anne

There's still an expectation of people on Sup Forums that they've watched many older anime, at least from the 90s and 00s, and you may be lucky with threads about some old anime. You can make a reference or comparison to something in Haruhi, and people will be expected to know what you are talking about, you'll not be called a hipster or pretentious for watching old, obscure anime like that. Sup Forums could turn into a board where only currently airing anime is talked about, and people who want to go REALLY retro MAY go as far back as Brotherhood. It'd be taken over by ironic weebs.

The rule could be 10 or 15 years old, and not set to a specific date. If it turns out to be 2000, it should at least include all cel anime as well.

Is it a common view that 2007 was the last year of the old school era? A while ago I realized that it was Konaka's last year + the release of Dennou Coil, and that that would make it the final year of the old era, or at least the late 90s-early 2000s boom of mature TV anime

Define worthwhile. There's quite a bit if you're willing to watch something equally as mediocre as half of the less popular stuff posted here.

>worthwhile
Depends on your definition. I personally think most mahou shoujo shows range from good to excellent. Escaflowne is one that comes immediately to mind. Also, Maison Ikkoku. As far as how "important" they are, I'd say Himitsu no Akko-chan, Ribon no Kishi, Mahoutsukai Sally and Ace wo Nerae are the only ones that are important outside of some minor influences on later shows or popularity. Below that would probably be Minky Momo and Sailor Moon. Rose of Versaille, Oniisama, and Utena are more critically successful than influential necessarily.

Is is 99% current airing or shitposting about the biggest series of the past few years.

An old anime board would really provide that place, away from people who can't stand to look at it.

Just remembered that Maison Ikkoku is not shoujo. I make that mistake a lot.

t. soyboy hipster numale
>/vr/
>best at anything
the only thing /vr/ is good at is saturnfag pissing people off the hipster and oldturds fighting over the same old shit on many threads
the only difference is that Sup Forums is way bigger than old Sup Forums and one of the fatest boards

I actually wanted to say important and influential. Specifically from the 80s. I don't hear much about 80s shojo.

Dennou Coil is best.

There's like thirty shoujo anime from the 70s and 80s combined.
myanimelist.net/anime.php?q=&type=1&score=0&status=2&tag=&p=0&r=0&sm=0&sd=0&sy=1970&em=0&ed=0&ey=1989&c[0]=a&c[1]=b&c[2]=c&c[3]=d&c[4]=e&gx=0&genre[0]=25&o=2&w=1&o=2&w=2

AnimeNewsNetwork.

>RoV
>not influential
Oniisama e and Utena I'll give you, but RoV pioneered several visual and character tropes that are now commonplace in shoujo. It was also one of the shows responsible for popularising anime in mainland Europe.

>pioneered several visual [...] tropes
Which ones?
>character tropes
Wouldn't those be attributed to the manga, not the anime?

pre-90s in no way implies closeness to the 90's beyond the fact that anime isn't that much older

>RoV
>not influential
Literally what?

Explain how it was influential. I'm very open to changing my opinion.

The manga was without a doubt influential m8.

Yeah, I'm not talking about the manga, though. We're specifically discussing anime.