ITT: Characters who would have been a better main character

ITT: Characters who would have been a better main character.

His underdog story was 10000x better than Narutos.

Attached: rocklee.jpg (375x281, 19K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey
blacknerdproblems.com/top-5-dead-or-alive-naruto-rock-lee/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not only was he better, but he was a harder worker than the soyboy with the gifted fox powers in his stomach

Attached: 0a9cf1e882e8a1a1b4b052b49c6818b8.jpg (400x300, 21K)

Limiting the MC's ability from the onset, like Rock only being able to use melee shit, will only lead to massive asspulls. You already knew going in Naruto was going to be an asspull kid.
Deku from My Hero Academia is basically Rock Lee. He would use a ton of bullshit to bypass his limitations.

Deku doesn't even work that hard, he gets everything handed to him

Hard work heroes are fucking terrible.

Attached: 20080720174762.png (467x178, 33K)

I enjoyed the idea of it though. I liked how Rock Lee was able to beat Sasuke in their first encounter because even though Sasuke's eyes could keep up with Rock Lee's speed, his body wasn't fast enough to do anything about it. Similarly Gai fighting Itachi he knew that all he had to do was avoid Itachi's eyes so he only looked at his lower half during their fight. I think they could have gone decently far without resorting to asspulls.

Deku is nowhere near as hardcore as Lee, Lee only got gifted a chance to fight again, but Deku didn't even try before his powers

Attached: vun5ilhc5p5oibsypuy6vlmacyhfphxr_hq.jpg (500x461, 57K)

I hate how all the characters look the same in that manga.

I love how even with those circumstances, Kumagawa stands out

Deku did literally nothing and was handed one of the greatest powers in the world. Don't even compare that autistic faggot to Lee.

Attached: 4fa29bba685061bd56adde787a3342bce4dde166_00.gif (320x164, 400K)

>all the characters look the same in that manga

You might have some sort of eye or brain disease.

Wasn't Naruto just one giant asspull further and further down though?

dude looks exatly like hansode

>Deku
The guy who totally gave up after hearing he doesn't have quirk.
Don't compare this lukewarm shit to Lee.

Plus Lee is infinitely cuter than Naruto - Naruto's annoying and ugly as sin, while Lee is both a top tier /cuteboi/ and a fucking badass, nose to the grindstone brawler. I'm not even a fan of Naruto the series, but I love Lee.

this

>His underdog story was 10000x better than Narutos.
The one where he never stopped being the underdog, never won a fight, never got the girl, and never mattered in the end?

Yes. After all, Naruto features such briliant moments like a major figure of the in-universe mythology suddenly visiting Naruto in his mind to tell him that he is the reincarnation of his son, which also grants him enough power to fight the current villain.

Give up? Did you skip the part where he saved Bakugou while all the pros stood staring, including All Might?

For sure

Attached: Rock Lee.png (1440x1080, 976K)

did you skip the part where Deku did absolutely fucking nothing to reach his goal of being a hero until All Might gave him a quirk? Did you skip the part where Lee trained his fucking ass off to real his goal know he'll never be able to use ninjutsu?

Hard work is just another type of asspull.
DBZ thrived on this.

Must be a Minus thing

Attached: Shiranui.jpg (640x360, 59K)

Attached: Rock Lee Fanart.png (900x612, 119K)

do you guys have autism?
he was doing all the studying he could to be a hero, and was determined to accomplish that goal, even though he was quirk-less and bullied for it
only time he "gave up" was when his hero and father figure fucking told him to give up and crushed his heart, idk about you, but when you have NO ONE, and NOTHING, and the one person you look up to, and want to be like says you cant do it, you should quit, id get pretty sad too
however when he does get talked to by AM and he is told he could inherit the power, he works his ASS off to get it, just as hard as rock.
He puts a huge amount of effort in to be able to use the power that he is slowly inheriting, dont talk shit.

Attached: tumblr_ngrf4mmLQY1rdfsmyo1_500.gif (500x362, 1.14M)

Did you skip the part where Deku trained HIS ass off so One For All wouldn't make his body explode the first time he twitched his ass cheek muscles?

8 months
6 hours of sleep (growing boy, not enough)
school, homework, 100% of remaining time was spent hardcore physical training and constant basically gym work.
He breaks his body regularly.
I mean come on he's like 15.
Before OFA he had no quirk in a world where no quirks are super rare

wtf are you talking about - the level of autistic some ppl bring to these shounen series really is baffling. Yeah asspulls and power-creeps tend to become big problems for lots of long-running series, but as a general principle the audience finds it satisfying to see a character pull through after working hard/struggling/going through a lot. It's a really rewarding and fun basic method of story-telling and is a huge reason battle shounen are so popular.

Yeah, on a series-wide scale stuff like Naruto, especially Bleach and Fairy Tail started to get really out of hand, but just in terms of powers and battles/etc there's no reason not to have a main character/good guy win or pull through after they've put in sufficient emotional/physical/etc work - its just rewarding.

To put it succinctly, most people like to see a character start off small, fight with their all to overcome great, even impossible odds, and come out on top after lots of training and hard work.

Did you skip the part where he was much more analytical and rely on the brain instead of the muscles? Did you skip the part where he had already enrolled for the UA exam before receiving OfA?
He was not expecting anything to fall from the sky, Deku was ready to try to be a hero even without a quirk, but shitposters aren't even able to see explicit things in the first chapter, so I can't expect too much.

Yeah, Deku is a great example of that rewarding principle. We see him as the underdog who started off with a major handicap, and didn't let that get him down at all - he kept studying as much as he could, and when the opportunity arose, seized his chances and worked his ass off. Because we know how much of a disadvantaged he started with, and just how much he's put in to get where he is, Deku succeeds as a hugely rewarding hero so that all the progress he makes in the present is exciting and earned.

Likewise with Rock Lee, and why I think he'd be a great battle shounen protag.

You think just studying is enough you flaming autist? If he wasn't a little bitch he would've both studied AND trained his body to be a hero. Look at Mirio, his quirk is fucking stupid but he was able to make it amazing because of how much he trained his body. Deku could've done the same thing while making himself killer gadgets to aid him in battle and analyzing battle situations. Lee was determined to become a shinobi with Taijutsu alone from day one and Guy only helped his resolve. Deku only put in effort after All Might told him too + Lee's training is 10x more rigorous than what Deku did for his quirk.

rock and deku are gud bois

>people like this
No, it was only copied from DBZ by almost every single shonen in existence because most mangaka have no imagination.
bad guy appears>training>win through willpower and hard work>new bad guy appears stronger than the previous one, is the laziest form of storytelling
Only DBZ got this right because the training itself was entertaining.
FMA for example doesn't have this, which is why it stands out.

Fuck off dekufag.
>he was studying
He was fanboyibg over real heroes because he told himself he never will be one. He had to get /fit/ otherwise the power he got from AM would just kill him it is not the same. Deku gave up and if it wasn't for AM he would never be a hero.
On the other side we have Lee who can't use ninjutsu and genjutsu and was shit tier at taijutsu but didn't gave up and his fight was one of the best if not the best in Naruto.

>has the ability to use taijutsu
>vs has no ability to recieve power vs the one he luckily got from all might and had to work for it or it would literally kill him

>copied from DBZ

I'm not even sure about that anymore.

Like, it's pretty clear that Goku is the prodigious talent and Vegeta is the hard worker. In their dynamic.

Nah, Ippo up to Sendo 2 was pretty great. The real problem there is the author drew it out to the point of autism.

Like okay, even stepping away from the more evidently formulaic world of battle shounen, (not a bad thing - I like a lot of battle shounen) if you just look at adventure/progression based stories in general, people enjoy seeing a character start off from somewhere small, and through hard-work/training/struggle/etc of some kind, overcome huge odds. I don't buy the shitty "monomyth" theory that all stories must follow that pattern, that's evidently not true & imo is kinda historicist and racist, trying to fit reality into a narrow purview - but ANYWAY, there still are tons of really popular and engaging stories that fundamentally revolve around a character who starts low, puts in the work or struggles in some fashion, and emerges victorious. There's a reason this stuff works, and battle shounen is just a very distilled format for this kind of story-telling.

>in general, people enjoy seeing a character start off from somewhere small, and through hard-work/training/struggle/etc of some kind
There's no evidence of people liking that over something else. You're biased.

Attached: 1496151325330.jpg (3840x2160, 1016K)

Are you retarded? This formula has been selling for years, how come this is not an evidence?

I don't think I really need "evidence" here lol. I'm not saying it even has to be as formulaic/by the numbers as a lot of battle shounen is, but just that the abstract method of "low/weaker/outsider hero" - "works hard/goes through struggles & trials/trains/undergoes harsh obstacles" - "overcomes and emerges better/victorious" is a really solid one that has been applied to a whole lot of incredibly popular works and series.

I miss characters just being good at things and we watch them be good at them.

Every medium has its phases.
Just because something is popular at the moment doesn't mean people prefer it, which you can judge by examples that don't follow the fad.
Actually I'd argue that it's already over.
The last real titan for this formula is One Piece, which probably wouldn't even have taken that route if not for selling more volumes. The Straw Hats all started out as natural talents and only really started the shonen trope during/after the timeskip.

>His underdog story was 10000x better than Narutos.
his underdog story was the crux of the whole god damn theme. rock lee was all of naruto distilled into a pure nugget of perseverance. and they threw it away to make him a homosex gag character who like lift. rock lee is all the proof you need to see that kishimoto and team are absolute hacks

I'm not even saying people like it more than anything else in particular, just saying it's a very popular underlying direction for stories for a reason.

It might be generic to list these as examples, but think about any grand adventure - Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Avatar the Last Airbender, FMA and Naruto, hugely popular series in different mediums (film/books/cartoons/anime) that follow the basic principle of underdog hero working hard to achieve victory.

Of course in practice this says nothing about their quality, the theme can be executed way better or way worse. There's a hell of a lot of other things needed to make it work, like good aesthetic sensibilities, compelling character designs/motivations/personalities/etc, interesting narrative hooks and premises, rewarding follow-through and climaxes, etc, etc. I'm just making a pretty innocent and rote observation about what these kinds of stories have in common.

Since, for whatever reason, there seem to be people here who think a character "working hard" and then "overcoming is an asspull and unrewarding, which just seems like an autistically contrarian opinion.

>only being able to use melee shit, will only lead to massive asspulls
im glad you're not a writer, your brain is too smol.

That user is only partially right, the formula has been around for centuries/millennia, most myths about human heroes are based on it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero's_journey

A good team would have been Rock Lee/Ino/Hinata

>Ino could mind transfer Lee to allow him to use his impressive chakra for jutsus that he has no aptitude for while his body is controlled (maybe)
>Hinata instead of Nedgy would be a fair rivalry for both her and Lee and they would both improve rapidly

110% THIS.

>Did you skip the part where he had already enrolled for the UA exam before receiving OfA?
But doesn't do any physical training whatsoever. Should've used that brain of his to realize that weak manlets can't become heroes and that being strong is part of the job.

Attached: kd.png (504x393, 135K)

BNHA's central theme is genetic determinism.
Making him Asta 2.0 would defeat the purpose.

Wait, a dude in BnH is tough without a quirk? Season 3 dropped.

Didn't All Might make it into UA without a Quirk. He was just physically strong and noble right? Deku should have exercised to make it into UA quirkless. He even came in first place in the race during the obstacle run without using OfA. Not only that Stain has a pretty weak Quirk that he was able to abuse by being incredible strong, fast and skilled.

I might be remembering wrong but Rock Lee was shit ninja who only had a dream until Guy trained him.

He practiced Taijutsu and made that his goal before he even met Guy you fucking brainlet

blacknerdproblems.com/top-5-dead-or-alive-naruto-rock-lee/

Says it like it is

>dekufag
>tumblr
checks out

Is it normal that I used to fap to sexy jutsu a lot as a young teen?

This.

Attached: Kaiba vs the Jet.webm (640x360, 2.65M)

Yeah but he was shit. Was he good before or after Guy trained him?

I think after

faggot, i got this from some user on /m/
and deku is cool

Attached: hamanengh.jpg (960x720, 74K)

Attached: Muh Bael.webm (640x360, 1.8M)

>He was fanboyibg over real heroes because he told himself he never will be one
He never stopped thinking he could be a hero. His "fanboying" was analyzing what they did and how they did it. And even when All Might said someone quirkless could probably never be a hero that didn't stop him from trying to save Bakugo from the sludge monster.
He didn't give up, but in a world where super powers do like 90% of the work he never thought about getting buff because "I'm buff" doesn't compare with "I shoot acid out of my pores"
As much as I fucking hate Batmna, that's what Deku thought he could do. Analyze and preptime his way to being a hero.

Attached: Imouto powers.webm (640x360, 2.76M)

>deku
>cool
try again

That's not how it works newfag.
When you save a file from Sup Forums it gives you a number for the image name, unless you change it.

>faggot, i got this from some user on /m/
Still tumblr filename tsk tsk you shouldn't lie like this tumblrtard.

So Black Clover then?

Because Asta is way worse a main character than Naruto

To be fair Asta is like Naruto crossed with Rock Lee.
Naruto's ineptitude and attitude plus Rock Lee's lack of magic and compensation through physical fitness. And then he never stopped screaming.

thats just incorrect, unless you are on mobile, i think youre the newfag bud

Its from the shitty spin-off manga

Are you joking? Lmao

Attached: Why+joey+wheeler+is+the+best+the+time+a+mere_eded0e_6126601.jpg (640x960, 129K)

Attached: Third-rate duelist with a fourth-rate deck.png (499x470, 183K)

I never understood why writers do this
Why would anyone want to follow the adventures of literal king of games who is destined to win everything over an underdog with a shitty deck slowly polishing it and his skills along the way

atem was a serial killer and represents how tiny the line that divides good from evil is.

the anime is a complete joke.

Literally gambled his own soul and eventually yugis to win a previously riskfree game

All Might did have his quirk when he entered UA, that's why Grand Torinio became a teacher. By that point Nana was already dead and GT had to teach him how to be a hero. Plus the entrance exam couldn't have been nearly as difficult back then anyway, since for one there weren't as many quirks users or powerful quirks in general. And UA wasn't as prestigious of a school back then because they hadn't yet produced All Might, Endeavor, and Best Jeanist

>shitty deck slowly polishing it and his skills along the way
Jeoy mostly relied on luck based cards.

Attached: chadly man.png (1024x523, 132K)

Joey was a much better character than Yugi/Atem and autistic Kaiba.

They meant his luck getting skills, user. Heart of the cards!

Attached: gon chad.png (314x160, 9K)

But in fact. He is a main.
Pic

Attached: vlcsnap-2014-09-15-02h04m43s91.png (1280x720, 651K)

Attached: vlcsnap-2014-03-20-14h17m50s253.jpg (1920x1080, 75K)

Attached: Fullmetal_Alchemist_Brotherhood_53_[BD_720p][AtsA][722841AD].mkv_snapshot_20.10_[2015.02.27_03.47.11 (1280x720, 58K)

Deku btfo

He became the main character actually, but that was in the later half of the manga. they dropped the blonde for him.

Attached: vlcsnap-2016-11-16-18h48m03s55.png (1280x720, 1000K)

As is stands nobody on the web respects the little fujoshi bait anymore.

Its a card game nigga, its ALL fucking luck

Not to mention he had like 4 of those at best

Attached: vlcsnap-2017-01-24-21h01m39s2.png (1280x720, 769K)

Isn't this that bullshit where Joey had him beat, but he couldn't draw because he fainted or some bullshit?

Attached: 1444920378173.jpg (178x200, 4K)

Ths guy was the best thing about Amagi Brilliant.

Attached: Amagi-Brilliant-Park-01-00033.png (810x455, 235K)

Yup