What's the worse way to nerf a character?

What's the worse way to nerf a character?

Attached: Say goodbye to Exodia.jpg (480x360, 17K)

Taking there powers away.

Setting a time limit on their powers, when they're always going to do their job before the time runs out.
It's like, why even have it in the first place then?

Attached: 1243566343535.jpg (600x525, 41K)

Have them injure themselves because of a hastily introduced sense of honor.

Attached: x11.png (930x1300, 311K)

>character goes through grueling training to obtain a certain power to beat the villain
>power makes him far more powerful than the rest of the cast
>as soon as a new villain with a stronger power comes along the whole cast suddenly has access to that power like it's nothing, but that's ok because new villain power creeped it anyways
rinse and repeat for each arc

If you don't do that you get dragonball where by all appearances all the good guys but Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo, Freezypop, and 17 are still practically cell games level.

Which is odd because previously toriyama didn't have any issues letting the earthling scrubs who died to nappa leapfrog to ginyu force levels, which was a pretty massive boost considering how relatively weak they were.

But that's pretty much what Dragon Ball did with super saiyan.

this is literally what db does though. everyone is always behind goku who for this arc got literal power of gods (and vegeta who trained with a god), realistically they couldn't even be in the same tournament, then you still have 17 or trunks doing blows to the big bads. earlier on it was buu saga and everyone got to cell's level.

there should have been at least a bit of dialogue dedicated to yugi himself deciding a 5 piece combo is fucking dumb and just taking it out of his deck.

Replacing their gun with a nerf gun.

What are you on? A proper Exodia deck is one of the best in the game.

yu yu hakusho

Yugi literally has the power to cheat. If worse comes to worse, he can just will whatever card he wants to be at the top of the deck.

Occupy them with some mundane task that keeps them from being the hero.

The actual worst offender is to just not give any answer whatsoever and have the character job for no reason when he shouldn't

Except that hasn't been true in forever nor is it true in yugis universe with shit draw power and little way to bubble the pieces up.

in-universe exodia is this super incredible monster, just like bewd is a valuable rare when it's a 2-tribute normal with no effect without the tcg support

>oops you lost that magic macguffin that gave you all your powers
>I guess you'll have to sulk for a bit like Achilles in his tent because you're shit now
>Now I guess you'll have to start a multi episode arc to get it back only to realize at the end that you didn't need the macguffin in the first place

Attached: shrug.jpg (268x205, 36K)

>MC trains for a few chapters to obtain a new move that puts him on par with the villain
>Said move ends up having a drawback that makes him unable to use it as he pleases
I hate this so much. God forbid the good guys have a fighting chance.

And in universe it's still a 5 card combo consisting of garbage in a minimum of a 40 card deck?

Half the reason so many people were loving Android 17 in the ToP and calling him MVP is because it was so fucking refreshing to see someone putting in work who wasn't a fucking Saiyan for a change

Last time we got a taste of that was fucking Tien vs Ugly Cell, or Piccolo vs 17 if you only want to count genuine fights

ok, but the character isn't going to say that. to the character in-universe, it's this super incredible martial arts he can summon when the plot calls for it.

Sorry I wasn't aware characters are all written to be meta and aware of how the writers think.

All I'm saying is that it'd have been a far better character moment for yugi to have sealed exodia himself because of its huge variance and lack of synergy with anything. Instead of having the retard hand over supposedly these super incredible omega rare cards to someone yugi hardly knows to throw them overboard.

but then all the shit about how exodia is incredible in ep1 would have made no sense. it'd have to be a different show that was more realistic from the start for that to happen

You're probably right that the show rarely touched on deckbuilding in early yu-gi-oh, but they still had those occasional scenes of yugi sitting infront of a massive pile of cards just trying to figure out what should go in, perfect place for that kinda thing, could have been a message about how just because a card can be super powerful doesn't mean it always belongs.

I dunno, I'm just peeved at how hastily the writers dispatched of it by making a yugi a complete retard who would hand over his gramps sacred cards to his future competition.

tbf I thought it was cool when yugi built his own decks in late yugioh

Yugis two duels in the last season were probably the best ones in the whole show