So I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop, for the first time. I didn't know anything about it...

So I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop, for the first time. I didn't know anything about it, except for the fact that it's widely accepted as one of the greatest anime of all time.

I found it pretty underwhelming. The only good things about it - I feel - were character designs and music.
I'm kinda disappointed actually. More than half the episodes were misadventures with no real depth, the true pacing didn't ACTUALLY start until Episode 20 (Episode 5 was good, but after that episodes dropped in quality), and felt that there was too much random subplots trying to pass off as "world-building".

I didn't like Ed. I feel like they could have told the same story without her. She just became the "lul so random" stereotype character.
Julia felt underdeveloped. Didn't care about her character at all.
Vicious was a let down. No underlying character backstory for him, he's just evil because he's evil.
Last episode fight was pretty short and failed to impress me.
In fact ALL the episodes felt like there were too many panning shots of the same recycled scenes.

So tell me Sup Forums. Why am I a faggot for not liking it? I probably won't be watching this again.
Music is pretty iconic though.

Attached: team-cowboy-bebop-desktop-background.jpg (750x422, 120K)

I mostly agree with you, though I did enjoy it a good bit. I think it's pretty overrated.

Hey Sup Forums, you have to watch 200 series before posting here. Go talk about Cowboy Memebop on your home board.

Constructive feedback guys

I agree with you. The anime is one of the most comfy to watch that's sort of like your villain of the week that's just a bit more elevate in style.

>no underlying character backstory
>just evil because he's evil
nothing wrong with this, not every villain needs to have a reason and not every villain needs to have a sympathetic back story.

Attached: 1520883634771.jpg (953x536, 77K)

You pretty much hit the nail on the head, it's pretty overrated but everyone loves it because of nostalgia.

It's entry level. I'm surprised someone sat down and actually gave its weak points, rather than just stating: muh manly anime better than today's anime. It was good but I forgot it after I watched other anime.

Attached: 1521109254260.png (400x480, 196K)

Mood, character design, music, animation, character interactions, and each self-contained episode were fantastic.
Julia was boring and lifeless. Vicious was generic. There was no real plot.
8/10

Oh, and also Ed was miserable to watch.

>Why am I a faggot for not liking it?
because you're a plotfag, you're either underage or think like one

>More than half the episodes were misadventures with no real depth
Isn't that most CGDCT? So how come Sup Forums gives that a free pass (as they should) but shits on Bebop for doing the exact same thing?

It doesn't have to be sympathetic. Just give me a good fucking reason for someone to be evil, and the villain become 100X more appealing
Vicious didn't have this.

But I liked Samurai Champloo way more, and Samurai Champloo's plot was literally:
>muh sunflower samurai

Ah, you're a nigger then.

Because Bebop isn't cute girls and they aren't doing cute things user
cmon

Don't get me wrong, SC isn't even in my top 15

This anime is like a filter for casuals. If someone tells you "it's the best anime ever!", then it's highly unlikely that they have seen more than 10 anime.

>The only good things about it - I feel - were character designs and music
the fights are also good

>But I liked Samurai Champloo way more
I don't know what to say then. Most of the things you criticise can be applied to both. Focus on misadventures, rather than a main plot line, several minor plotlines, certain side characters or villains being there only to develop the main cast. All of those are also present in champloo. Champloo has more action scenes, and they're longer. But they're harldy the main selling point of the show.

OP, you agree with my thoughts as well. I chalk up all the praise to being babby's first serious anime.

Attached: 55268eef24acefc3c5ab0ff90a624db8a86a07a0002e13fffc1cf4efcabdd6c0.jpg (352x375, 37K)

Because it's a classic. that's why you're a faggot.

I still enjoy it today, though I admit that after seeing so much anime, I begin to see some issues with Bebop. Whether those could really have been noticed by any casual viewer at the time or not is up for debate, as most of my issues with it probably stem from having been exposed to so many common tropes and different story types since I first watched it.

It's kind of like how I loved Love Hina and thought it was one of the greatest comedies ever, but after watching a decade's worth of generic harems, I rewatched it and realized it was just more of the same garbage, even though it probably invented some of those tired tropes.

Uhhhh Champloo actually had backstory to their characters
Faye had more backstory than Spike user, let that sink in

>Uhhhh
for what purpose
>Champloo actually had backstory to their characters
This implies that bebop didn't which you contradict in your next sentence. Also they had roughly the same ammount
>Faye had more backstory than Spike
No she didn't, and even if she did it wouldn't have necessarily been a bad thing. We got plenty of backstory on Spike. I also don't see why a lack of backstory would be a bad thing. Backtories are one of the tools that can be used to flesh out your characters, they're not necessary for good characters or stories.

It was suppose to be somewhere in the first 5 anime you've ever seen.

million knives has a background reason for his malevolence but no one is going to claim he is a better villain than vicious, the character's presentation and interactions are what make make a villain good

I mostly agree. I liked the show a lot, but it was lacking in a lot of areas.
Character growth was near nonexistant except the last two episodes
Animation was pretty good all around
Some great filler episodes, like Toys in the Attic, but still too much filler nontheless.
Only Jupiter Jazz and the final episodes felt like they served the overall plot. Although those are also the show's best episodes. More episodes with Vicious or Julia would have been appreciated.

Space Dandy is a real mans anime

Attached: MV5BODAwNmU1MTAtMzBhYi00ODM4LTg3YzAtMjZlYzU3NTc5Y2MxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQxNjcxNQ@@._V1_.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

>for what purpose
cause I can
>This implies that bebop didn't which you contradict in your next sentence. Also they had roughly the same ammount
What? Champloo main cast had extensive backstories that carried out throughout the show. Even the fucking side characters had backstories. Bebop had almost no backstory to their characters besides Spike and Faye. Everyone elses merely scratched the surface
>No she didn't, and even if she did it wouldn't have necessarily been a bad thing. We got plenty of backstory on Spike. I also don't see why a lack of backstory would be a bad thing. Backtories are one of the tools that can be used to flesh out your characters, they're not necessary for good characters or stories.
What are you smoking user. Not necessary for good characters or stories? Give me some examples of great characters or amazing stories that have NO backstories. Go ahead.
And yes, Faye had a lot more backstory than Spike did. Spike had momentary reused flashbacks, Faye had an entire 2 episodes of her entire story from her childhood to her adulthood

I don't know when the last time you've actually watched them, but I watched both series this few days.

>cause I can
you sound like a fag
>Give me some examples of great characters or amazing stories that have NO backstories. Go ahead.
flcl, youjohan shinwa takei, jin roh off the top of my head
>Spike had momentary reused flashbacks, Faye had an entire 2 episodes of her entire story from her childhood to her adulthood
So? The ammount of information conveyed through them is roughly the same. We learned about his past proffesion, his relationships with Julia and Vicious, his mob connection, his desire to run away, how he left the syndicate, that's plenty of information.
>What? Champloo main cast had extensive backstories that carried out throughout the show
Like what? Fuu was an orphan that worked in a restaurant, over the course of the show we learn her father is the samurai in question and that he left her to protect her because he was a wanted man. Mugen was born on a convict colony, did a lot of shit with his buddy and his sister, got betrayed and wandered the land. Jin was an apprentice in a dojo, he got in a dispute with his master over the direction they should take, killed him and a bunch of others, became a ronin. That doesn't sound like all that much. On the bebop side we also got Jet's former career, his former collegue's, his ex, some other connections. Like Faye, he also got several episodes dedicated to him I don't know how did you miss them. Ed has her father, the orphanage and her hacking. They pretty much even out.
>I don't know when the last time you've actually watched them, but I watched both series this few days
Did you really? I rewatched it a few months ago and seem to have a better recollection of events

It's absolute shite for westaboo retards. If you think it is even remotely good, you have no taste.
It's dumb teenager nostalgia.
>muh psychological realism
Go back to plebbit

you know what, flcl doesn't count that was a brainfart on my part

I didn't like it either but I can understand why is highly regarded. It got style, good music, interesting characters, world and setting, also it's comfy as fuck. Of-course the modern harem loving faggot obsessed with waifu trash and slice of life wouldn't understand its appeal and neither would the faggots on the complete opposite of the spectrum that only care about obscure crap that is 2 deep.

It has none of that. It's garbage.

>westaboo
>muh
>plebbit
how about you do that

Its a story about already developed characters just living a day to day existence and somehow getting by. And that was the point. You see how depressing it all is when you come to the realization that you're going nowhere with yourself yet somehow content with your existence. The Bebop floats through space nabbing guys for bounty just to keep getting by, and all the people that join in just do it so they have something to do. But it's not really what they want.

In the episodes you see brief glimpses of their past lives that they lost and can't get back to, and they wander to get away from it. For Spike though it continually haunts him, but he just treats it like anything else and doesn't confront it til the very end. He confronts it just to get a chance at freeing himself from his trapped existence since that'd be worth it in itself. Everyone else is stuck having bell peppers and beef... without the beef.

And that's what life is until you do something to change it. Whatever that is, its probably worth trying even if you might die over it. At least. that's what I saw in it.

They are some of the best choreographed (for lack of a more accurate-to-anime term) fights i've seen, and they are well animated, but they suffer pretty badly from not-enough-frames-syndrome. It's such a shame when movement has lots of weight and feels so believable, but the framecount is only sufficient for a slideshow.

If you want to see well choreographed fight scenes in an anime with the frames to back it up, I'd highly recommend checking out pic related.

Attached: sword-of-the-stranger.jpg (1024x768, 323K)

>where was the story?!?! they were just fucking around the whole time!!!
This is an opinon that makes me truly upset.

Well, you know the saying: the truth hurts.

its a 7/10 for me. Shitty ending and cliche melodrama.
I really liked the characters and world though.

Even if it's not your personal favorite, the lack of respect for Bebop is astounding. Watch a full season of anime and then come back to me and tell me Bebop is actually a "bad" show

>So tell me Sup Forums. Why am I a faggot for not liking it? I probably won't be watching this again.
you are just reverse psychology us and you want a recomendation just ask kid

Kekkai Sensen
Space Dandy

regardless of your opinion on it, if it weren't for bebop, there would be no Sup Forums

>just ask kid
If he had done that his thread would have been deleted in a matter of minutes.

I agree that Julia was weak, but Cowboy Beebop was always an aimless space western with no real overarching plot. All the characters have their significant backstories but the show doesn't function on them as some sort of ultimate accumulating focus.

Essentially, you went in thinking it had some sort of grandiose plot when really people just love it for being an episodic space western.

If that was an actual requirement Sup Forums wouldn't have the loads of shit taste it has, or maybe it would? A good number of anyones log is going to be filled with shit, thankfully everyone is quite eager to spread this info meaning it will be filtered out into exquisite taste for newfags.

>So tell me Sup Forums. Why am I a faggot for not liking it?
Because it's not as good as people tell, I had absolutely the same experience first time watching it as you.

>Julia felt underdeveloped. Didn't care about her character at all.
That was the point. Spike dies for a completely unremarkable woman. We're supposed to sympathize with Jet and Faye in those last episodes.
>Vicious was a let down. No underlying character backstory for him, he's just evil because he's evil.
He's a power-hungry psychopath, the exact kind of guy who would climb ranks in a criminal organization, and the same kind that would lash out as soon as he felt he was being mistreated. Plus, you missed the whole "Spike literally cucked Vicious" part of his motivation.

Attached: 1517152634597.jpg (920x900, 820K)

It's good but people hype it up to be this amazing thing from beginning to end. It's what happens when you let the hype get to you.

It's a reason why I can't watch GoT.

name the top 5 best anime

>So I just finished watching Cowboy Bebop, for the first time
>isn't posting screencaps/webms from the show, instead posts a google-image OP
Streamfag detected. Opinion disregarded.

damn I only have 150

ITT folks who didn't understand what they watched.

Bebop is a study of meaningless life, existentialism and looking for ways to cope with it. There is no "overall plot" because there doesn't need to be. It's a show about the individual characters making their way through each of their lives as best as they can but continuously running from their own past and problems. Spike from his time with the syndicate, Jet as a cop and Fey with her long history of running. The show doesn't need a build up, arc or even a traditional form of TV show progression because of how each story is told.

To be honest I feel like you can only really 'understand' this show if you've lived life a little and understand loss, struggle and true melancholy.

shut up.

Plots never meant anything because they were never meant to.
The world exists outside the crew of the Bebop. Spike, Jet, Fey, Ed never change the world around them because that's implausible. They're humans with human flaws and human strengths. But the point of the show is that in the grand scheme of things our individual stories mean nothing, but that's not to say that our stories aren't important to each of us.

ITT: Retarded faggots who are either so fucking spoiled on Shonenbab crap that they can't use their two fucking brain cells for anything other than consuming the basic jist of what's right in front of them, or:

>absolute fucking cowards like you, who parrot every shitpost they see, and echo every criticism you notice on this website without any knowledge of its source content so you can feel like you fit in the Sup Forums "le epic pessimist mindset" because you're certainly not going to get the satisfaction of community and friendship out of real life, you worthless fucking nobody.

Attached: 1492027643450.jpg (500x499, 61K)

nice pasta

Nostalgia goggles. Its pretentious shit.

I mean, you can use it as a pasta if you want but i typed it out before going out, but you do you buddy.

Fuck good direction, they needed to infodump Spike's backstory, make Faye declare her love to him, then he would make a motivational speech to Vicious (who also took 2 episodes to reveal his sad childhood) and say "I am truly a changed man, fuck the past let's go on adventures because we are the Cowboy Bebop™" as generic jpop plays

Shitty bait threads like this should get rangebans.

Pretty much agreed OP

moe was a mistake......

This is 100%... for Punpun.

Yup, agreed. I don't get the hype behind it. It looks and sounds well and that's pretty much it. Story and characters are meh.

>OP makes the same exact thread he did a few days ago
>starts samefagging tons of replies saying nothing more than "yeah i agree XXD *upvoated*
It's really sad how newfags think they can hide in anonymity to bolster their own opinions. When in reality the point of anonymous discussion is to be devoid of opinions.