"Demon King" trope

Seriously, what the fuck is it with Japs and their stupid obsession with this trope? In the west this shit is almost nonexistent, so why then, do they always copy western fantasy ideas and make them even more generic than the originals? Don't get me wrong, I'm not dissing on all manga/anime, just of this trope and it's huge dispersion.
Pic unrelated.

Attached: 25380-20783169.png (573x476, 530K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_Rui
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Pic unrelated.
that a nice pic through

Ok, brah.

All "fantasy" hentais (ie elfs getting pounded or succubus) mention the Demon King.
Almost all fantasy isekai have the Demon King.
Old fanatasy manga that took itselves seriously also have it, including YYH.
This isn't the 80s anymore, that trope fucking reeks.

What trope? It's just a title.
Try not watching things you don't like.

So martial arts is just a name of an activity? Are you mindcapped?

Demon King isn't much different than just any boss of evil trope, I'm sure you like your ant king and your big mustache final boss.

If you're gonna take something as generic as "martial arts" and call it a trope, then basically everything is a trope.
"Demon King" isn't a trope, a trope would be something more specific like a Demon king who happens to be a total bro or something like that.

The mere existence of a single demon king that rules above the other demons.

>In the west this shit is almost nonexistent
What? The dark lord/evil one/ancient threat thing is pretty dang common.

And how does that differ from any other kind villain ruling over the bad guys? Apart from having a specific title it's absurdly generic.

I think it's also kidna common in the west the difference is just that they're actually a threat in Japan while the west tends to make fun of the Demon Lord/King or turns in into one of these stupid 'red devils that are actually nice guys'.

Dragon Quest

If you mean the idea that there is a "King of Demons" that is presented as part of the natural order of things, rather than the big bad being treated as an unnatural occurrence, I think that has everything to do with King Yama and related legends. Buddhism has a lot more presence in Japan so the influence makes it into a lot of media.

Exactly this.

It is.

Not as specific as the title Demon King, that's exactly why I'm talking about it. The common ancient evil doesn't imply demons or a a royal ruler thereof.

It implies that enemies are demons, and that they all have a common all powerful leader, that happens to have royal status. It's specific enough to be a trope. And it's fucking annoying.

It's a Buddhist thing. Try to learn about Japan because asking retarded questions.

Demon King implies:

>Enemies are demons
>They have a common ruler
>That ruler has royal status

It is very specific, fuck off, you idiot.

Now, this is a proper answer. I never played Dragon Quest, but I do have the idea that it's pretty influentual in Nipland. If Dragon Quest has been propagating the trope for these many years, than it makes sense it rubs off on other media.

Why are you ignoring people telling you it's a Buddhist thing?

I meant exactly that. That is also a great answer, thank you.

Probably the same person as above, but you should learn proper grammar before dissing on the questions posed by others.

I wrote that answer before reading the others.
See

Maybe you should fuck off back to wherever you came from faggot. This shit is barely Sup Forums related.

"Demons" is not a specific thing. You can use it to describe whatever kind of monsters you like, particularly in a fantasy setting.
Villains being united under a single ruler is completely standard.
A ruler having royal status is normal. What do you expect, the Orc President?

>"Look over there it's the demon king called;"
>bahamut
>lucifer
>beelzebub
>belphegor
>sefirot (sephifoth)

I want the evil Beetle king.

>Orc president
hey, that's pretty good

>manga tropes
>not Sup Forums
Autism? That's probably why you couldn't graduate and/or get a proper job.

Where have you been if you haven't yet realized that Japan does things for tradition's sake? Answer is Dragon Quest, game series from which Japan draws like 90% of their modern fantasy from.

Attached: Demon_King_Daimao.jpg (500x283, 37K)

>Why do Japs do x?
This is not Sup Forums related. This is Sup Forums stuff, maybe /jp/.

>A ruler having royal status is normal. What do you expect, the Orc President?

ORC WORKERS OF THE WORLD UNITE

Attached: 1450486083934.png (389x544, 499K)

>Orc President
That sounds pretty cool, actually.

You mean the same shit that exists in Lord of the Rings, you fucking retard?

remember when dragon ball actually had a demon king enemy?

I am talking about manga and anime, it's even written there. The Japs are the authors of manga and anime. How dense can you be?

This.

Living and reading manga on my spare time.

No, there isn't a demon king. It's a fallen god entity that unites all the weaker (civilizationally) races. Dumbfuck.

This is why the 11s tried to rid all the Christians during the Tokugawa Shogunate.

>thousand pages of backstory on Sauron
vs
>"The evil demon king (nameless) is gathering an army, you must defeat him!"

Lord of the rings is old as fuck, it wasn't done.in a time of repeated abuse.
Also, there's no Demon King in LOtR

>thousand pages of backstory
that would be a pain for manga

Pretty sure the "King" bit is just to denote this one big evil guy as being the strongest among other big evil guys. Most of Demon Kings don't have a court, properly defined borders nor a taxation system.

>thousand pages of backstory on Sauron
>reading books
It's just a big fucking eye that sits on the tower, nerd.

That only makes it even more infuriating.

Shouldn't that ahve a dragon king?

I'm not really rustled by it, there's probably a cultural thing where the term "King" in nip can also mean "The Champion" or "The Apex" or something like that.

He's in the first game

>they copy it from the west where it doesn't exist
???

Yeah, "King" seems to often be a title of strength in Japanese media. Look at all those Kaiju with King in their names, who don't consciously rule over anyone.

The basic concepts are western, but when nips apply them they end up copying each other and becoming their own sad joke.
>Christian demons - western
>Medieval kings - western
>The big bad is the royal ruler of all demons - Niponese

King Ghidorah was fucking badass. When will I have a three-headed dragon for a demon king?

>The Japanese feudal lord Oda Nobunaga also called himself a maō in a letter to Takeda Shingen signing it with 第六天魔王 (The demon king of the sixth sky).

In Black Clover there's the Magic King, who is just the leader of the army and answers to the true king of the country.

Fucking chunnyi faggot

AKTCHWALLY
He still has a body but really likes his castle so we never see him; the eye is just a telescope
When the good guys win he loses his body
Maou basically means King Evil, or even better, the Big Bad Guy

>Maō in fiction
>Although the term maō is also used as king of mazoku, it is also commonly used as a general term of king of demons, king of devils, and more general, just an overlord, a dark lord or an archenemy of the hero. Having a maō in a series does not necessarily mean that there is a mazoku clan for it to rule, a maō can simply rule humans, monsters, anything or nothing at all.
>Der Erlkönig, by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, widely translated as "Elf King" in English, was translated as 魔王 (Maō) in Japanese.
>The term Daimaō (大魔王 - great demon king) is sometimes used to suggest an even higher class being than the maō. In Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, a term chōmaō (超魔王 - ultimate demon king) is used to suggest an even higher class being.

You get to act all chuuni when you actually are kicking ass left and right, grabbing the steering wheel on the history of Japan.

The demon king is just an evil overlord, not exactly a foreign concept.

Rance series is the only one that utilize Maou trope correctly.

Example? I never heard of it.

He was a literal faggot. A pedophile faggot.
Piccolo?

king Piccolo was the third devil king, there was two devil kings before him.

And honestly, Red Rocket Army was basically the shinzoku clan from Journey to the West.

In the West they instead call it a Dark Lord

Mazoku
The original term was used in Japanese transliteration of the Indian (Hindu) mythology's clan Asura and Yaksha, as well as Zoroastrianism's Daeva, and is the general term for devils, demons and evil beings. The term is used in the form of separating these supernatural entities from the devils and demons in Christianity and Oni of Japanese local mythology. In polytheism, it is simply a word used as an Antonym of 神族 (shinzoku), which means literally the tribe of gods.

The term maō is used to describe the king or kings ruling mazoku. It was originally used to transliterate Buddhism deity, the demon god 第六天魔王波旬. Later used for Lucifer/Satan in the Bible. In polytheism, a term used as an Antonym of maō is 神王 (shin'ō), which means the king of gods. However, the term 主神 (shushin, literally the main god) is used more often since the term shushin was also used in monotheism meaning God.

Gee why Japan draw from its mythology with a western twist

Yeah, they should do a Succubus Queen instead.

If its non-existent in the west, then how are they "copying" the west? Aren't they mutually exclusive?

The only time Japan has copied the west is through the old dungeon/dragon/ultima model of fantasy world. This is why you "orcs" are pig-like. The modern dnd versions have a much different version of the "orc".

No?

See
Would probably be difficult not to look like a general shit hentai.

It's a decades old JRPG thing and the yuusha/maou thing has always been part of fantasy setting. That's like saying what's with the superhero trope in American entertainment.

>copy western fantasy ideas
Although the stock JRPG fantasy world has influences from classic high fantasy like Tolkien, over almost half a century, it's become it's own thing. Also this

"And THATS why we don't let edgelords command armies!"

It is jap equivalent of "evil overlord" trope (Sidious, Sauron, Satan etc.)

Are you braindead? Demons/kings are part of the old ultima online/dnd settings. So are the big bads.

In fact none of these are "western" ideas but rather ideas that predate the whole foundation of western european identity all together.

Keyword: old
ie not milked by everyother franchise if that specific medium at the current day

I don't see how those are comparable really.

Attached: Kangs and kwarns of egypt.jpg (600x405, 57K)

>ctrl+f Yama
>only one result
Well, that's your answer.

I miss Hoozuki no Reitetsu

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_Rui

It's an old Chinese thing.

A "maou" implies someone who is far beyond our understanding. So utterly foreign and divorced from the concept of humanity that he is unapproachable.
An absolute power.

>Watch anime
>Call other people nerds
Kek

Attached: lain.jpg (780x879, 585K)

Maou Lain

Yama is Yama, not a king.

>A "maou" implies someone who is far beyond our understanding.
>So utterly foreign and divorced from the concept of humanity that he is unapproachable.
>An absolute power.
What about a Daimaō (大魔王 - great demon king) or chōmaō (超魔王 - ultimate demon king)?

Moémaou?

I chuckled

Thanks

This isnt even exclusive to anime. Almost every culture that has demons or something similar has some ruler of all demons.

Are you fucking mentally retarded?

And yet somehow it's always just a humanoid emperor who's really mean and stuff.

>it's powerlevel all the way down

Most fantasy takes from DnD and Ultima as much as it takes from Tolkien. In DnD there were demon lords.

There's no heirarchal structure in place here. A 魔王 doesn't normally exist in a system where a 大魔王 or a 超魔王 exists. Or they're synonyms referring to the same entity, or being that fulfills the function of a 魔王

Protip the origin of the word Ma lies in Mara the demon, Mara the illusion from Buddhism.

So this is why the word "Ma" always carried both/either implications. Whether its mahou(mysterious laws/magic) or majou (mysterious girl/magical girl) or maou(demon king) or etc.

The Western equivalent is the Dark/Evil Lord/Overlord/Supreme Overlord like Sauron and Morgoth

Don't listen to haters OP, it really does come up a lot. I was thinking about that since Digimon when the counterpart of the Royal Knights were the "Demon Lords". Then I started noticing the title Demon King comes up everywhere, it's a cultural thing or something. I guess it's a word ingrained in their side of the world just like "Fuhrer" or "Kaiser" are here. Still, those are military ranks so it made sense to have them come up in certain settings, you see even japanese delinquents being called "Demon King" out of nowhere.

It's kinda autistic on my part but now I get bothered whenever they say it, it feels uncreative. Like they just took it straight out of a book of anime tropes.

Attached: 1501890312977.jpg (735x541, 35K)

Demon Fuhrer when?

Dragon Quest was their introduction to fantasy settings which was based on the Wizards series.

... Have you even read the thread? Some user explained it just a few replies down. It's a cultural thing.

Fullmetal Alchemist

I did now, committing seppuku.

Well I suppose that counts, but Bradley was the least demonic homunculus.

Attached: cash4told.jpg (800x480, 313K)

Getter Robo