Does anyone else think it's severely overstating Shirou's mental damage to call him insane? He has some problems...

Does anyone else think it's severely overstating Shirou's mental damage to call him insane? He has some problems, but they could easily be much more severe given what he went through as a five year old boy. He's calm and levelheaded, he interacts with and embraces the world instead of retreating from him, he isn't prone to extremes of emotion like rage or hysteria. Isn't he basically a stable, normal guy with one hang-up?

Attached: Shirou holding a rational conversation with someone because he isn't crazy.jpg (1920x1080, 123K)

He's kind of slightly with his ideals. He'll kill himself to save others.

Mental health can be measured by how much you are a danger to yourself or others.
A person who would jump in front of a speeding truck in order to slow it down because a kid might get hit, is clinically insane.

Well, Shirou's never been stated to be actually harmful to anyone. His brand of abnormality is one that is harmful to himself.

By that logic, some, say army vet, or rape victim, or whatever with crippling trauma and PTSD is a "stable and normal guy with one hang-up" just because their mental issues isn't hurting anyone but themselves.

Trauma victims usually have issues like depression or rapidly fluctuating moods, though. Shirou is happy and upbeat and, in the absence of the Holy Grail War, would have been scarcely different from any other Fuyuki teenager.

>in the absence of the Holy Grail War,
But here's the thing.
Psychological illness is situational. You may be considered completely fine in one environment, and clinically insane and in need of help in another.

Healthy environments can minimize the extent of how unhealthy someone is, but mental illness is generally present regardless. Someone with depression or bipolar or PTSD can do infinitely worse in stressful circumstances, but they'll still have some mental illness even in fair weather times.

Shitroufags trying to make him not look like generic shounen shit protagonist

Im reading through the VN right now and the impression im getting is that he is suffering from PTSD.

Wait people say he's insane? I mean he might be a little slow but the thought that he is insane or even psychologically unstable never crossed my mind.

Oh yeah, "insane" and "batshit crazy" have been used to describe Shirou for years on Sup Forums.

He literally thinks like a robot when using magic ("Trace: On"), and goes into full meltdown mode whenever he senses that someone's in danger.
>Shirou and Rin see that Caster is holding Taiga hostage
>Shirou's first thought is that he'll murder the fuck out of Rin if she considers disregarding Taiga's life

>Has painful flashbacks
>Risks death daily to save others
>Kills people without flinching
>Kills himself to save others
>Goes to fight in middle east
>Doesnt feel most feelings
>His wish was to participate in a glorious deathmatch if it lets him to save others
>Lets himself to be abused to help others
>Sell his very soul to save others

Just because oneof functions in society doesnt mean theyre not broken or mentally healthy

Attached: knt9cxH.png (1920x1080, 1.59M)

>Shirou is happy and upbeat and, in the absence of the Holy Grail War, would have been scarcely different from any other Fuyuki teenager.
Except he never does anything for fun.

>Shirou is happy and upbeat
Shirou explicitly never smiles, Nasu made sure Ufotable kept this consistent. Nasu calls him "tin man" for a reason.
You can compare him to Artoria: Saber seems like a emotionless machine but is just a normal girl forcing herself, while Shirou seems like a normal guy who is actually an emotionless wreck inside.

>…It was really fun.
>The town I only used to walk by…
>I didn't know all the things I didn't involve myself in were so meaningful.

""
>As soon as I think so, something like a cage >falls on me, and I understand.
>I don't deserve this.
>I'm unworthy of all this.
>It tells me so from deep down within me.

I know Shirou doesn't smile in his VN sprites, but I'm pretty sure he smiles in the anime.

>gets told by his future self that he is about to make the absolute worst mistakes imaginable
>"I'll make them anyway"
I think calling him insane is a fair assessment.

Only in special occasions.

Attached: 2f0fb988a5a25e54271316cbe9dc2453.gif (500x311, 736K)

Yeah hes pretty ficking insane. Guy would fucking go outta his way to save and help anyone no matter the cost, mind you he has common sense but he puts his ideals ahead of it many times. The breaking point for me was when gil was spearing illya and he decide yeah fuck it, im servantless but ill goddamn help her despite the shit i just witnessed.

Who cares, Nasu is a hack.