Why do Shonen protagonists always have perfect genes that let them become super strong...

Why do Shonen protagonists always have perfect genes that let them become super strong? Especially when the theme/moral of the story is an underdog one

Attached: IMG_4594.jpg (1280x720, 168K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lmMDfoiolXA?list=WL&t=305
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I present to you the greatest, smartest, and most original Battle Shounen protag to date

Attached: bestestboy.jpg (1280x720, 104K)

if he was weak he wouldnt be battling people in the first place and thus not in the anime

Wait until who his dad really is

Only thing Luffy was handed was conqueror's Haki which he still needed to train to learn how o use.

He had to train for a decade before setting sail to develop a fighting style that would complement his fruit, and then he had to train two more years after he saw that he wasn't strong enough.

Naruto's genes need friends to activate, otherwise they are useless.

O rly

Attached: LAqv3.jpg (599x364, 57K)

All 3 of them trained. Ichigo did the most intense Bankai training and Hollow Mask training. Naruto had to train to learn his Rasengan, Shadow clones, and how to not turn into a frog. But at the same time they were all handed massive abilities due to their lineage.

Who?

That's just the popular shounen though.

Once you actually branch out and look at all the shounen action anime the theme's less prominent.

Attached: Kurogane Ikki.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

Because heroes in myth and folklore tend to be exceptional.

Genetical freaks are less common than you think. Among those 3 Ichigo is the one who was always special. Naruto was hurr hard wurrk and Luffy was just an idiot. Of those 3 only Naruto betrayed expectations.

I doubt the D. in Luffy actually means anything.
Naruto has 0 kekkei genkai, he just got that Uzumaki/Senju chakra.
Ichigo is the definition of mary sue

Because at the end of the day nips believe that you are born to do one thing. Hard work etc is just bullshit, if you're born to be ninja jesus then that's what you'll become unless you're a slacker.

He;s implying that Deku is gonna end up being the son of some legendary figure thus proving me wrong

He might end up being half human, half hero, half mutant, half shinigami, half quincy, half sword and so on

And this is why Goku will always be one of my favorite Shonen protags.
The only "perfect gene" he had is the "Close to dying" passive that they stopped using halfway through Z.

Naruto has been more about dealing with prejudice and hate than a matter of talent. The village didn't hate him because he was a dropout and they didn't start appreciating him just because he was strong.

>"hard work and determination" moral message
>eugenics setting

The only thing that bothered me about it. If you're gonna have a belief in the power of nepotism in your society then at least do it consciously a not subconsciously while talking about the opposite.

Does that include Super?

Basically every time the author writes himself into a corner, he will asspull some new power up for the mc, and the easiest and most brain dead power up is the "muh special bloodline".

Granted, mangakas have to work like crazy, so I can forgive this laziness, but any LN writer or fantasy writer in the west who falls back to the bloodline trick in this day and age deserves to burned alive.

Its a shame really, sometimes the mc being a decent leader and using teamwork to take down the villain would be more interesting than another pointless power up that will be ignored when the mc jobs to the next arc villain.

I don't think it's about a difficulty in writing. Ichigo's original hollow corruption was not bloodline based, it was just something that happened to him by accident. His shinigami powers, too. And then Kubo retconned them into being bloodline powers. That's not a proof that mangaka does it because they can't com up with something else. It's more lik,e even if they come up with something else, for some reason they just subconsciously default back to it.

>his grandfather is a stupid-strong marine
>his father is the #1 most wanted man (so he's probably outrageously strong
>he's a D. and everyone who is a D. is special SOMEHOW

sure i guess it's not as bad as being 1/2 human 1/2 hollow 1/2 reaper 1/4 quince or naruto being the reincarnation of ninja jesus' 2nd child, son of 4th hokage and someone belonging to clan of freaks whose gimmicks included having stupid huge pools of chakra and enormous vitality, but CMON.

The story focuses on them, despite the fact that there are a million other characters in the setting, precisely because they are so powerful and special and have potential. The point of Shonen protags isn't to be individually interesting, it's to provide the right perspective on the setting for the story.
Progression in Battle Shonen is pretty much always a powerlevel arms race dressed up in some fashion or another. It's just the nature of the genre, unless you are very careful and clever about how you avoid it. So it's only natural that the main character be someone who starts out weak, but has some factor that lets them catch up to whatever threat is next in line which has to one-up the previous threat. Good genes or some other sort of inner potential is a convenient way to do this.

Must find some way to make them special in order to distinguish them from other characters.

You can't be the underdog all the goddamn time. Plus, that was never the theme on those manga, like all shonen jump heroes they need to represent the magazine motto "Friendship, Effort, Victory".

Why not? It's easy and the masses don't care.

>
>>his grandfather is a stupid-strong marine
>>his father is the #1 most wanted man (so he's probably outrageously strong
>>he's a D. and everyone who is a D. is special SOMEHOW

Being a D is all Luffy was gifted with. He worked for everything else, haki included. Both Sabo and Ace were there as perfect examples of the kind uber genius protagonist Luffy could have been, what with Ace literally being the son of the most famous pirate in history on top of getting an insanely good DF and Sabo being of noble blood and a straight up prodigy. Even considering Garp and Dragon, Luffy is laughable lacking outside of his ingenuity.

I won't even compare Luffy to Naruto, because despite the empty message of Naruto needing to work hard he was literally the son of the Hokage, given the most powerful tailed beast, as a baby and his other parent had special sealing blood limit top of Naruto being the reincarnation of the son of the mother of chakra. Ichigo being all that shit he is speaks for itself. Luffy would literally need an ultra rare devil fruit to even compete.

You can't be the best without some sort of genetic edge. Otherwise everyone who maximized training time would be at a perpetual tie.

Most times the author writes themselves into a corner and a bloodline excuse often works and doesn't muddle any previous lore.

>just got Uzumaki/Senju
Yeah, because him having essentially limitless chakra even without the fox never mattered. And him being the reincarnation of the chosen one didn't matterm uch either.

>muh One Piece is totally an exception to generic shonen shit
Nice try, but no

Naruto had a giant fox shoved up his ass that literally served as an infinite battery

There's some speculation that All for One is his dad somehow

Luffy is a shit character and a Mary Sue. Anyone defending him should be permabanned. Same applies to Naruto. But Ichigo takes ot to a whole new level with his half human half shinigami half hollow half quincy half fullbringer half angel half demon half Xehanort bullshit.

>he had to work hard!
No he fucking didn't. He ate a fruit and became bulletproof and could solo thousands of marines right away. He would literally throw himself against entire armies with no tension or consequence.

Naruto trained a lot more and wasn't a one man army until the last arc.

>nd him being the reincarnation of the chosen one didn't matterm uch either.
It didn't. There were a lot of incarnations of Ashura and Indra and only Naruto and Madara made a difference.

>He would literally throw himself against entire armies with no tension or consequence
He still needed to worry about sharp weapons which was seen when he was tortured by pirates as a kid. As I said before it he didn't get strong just from eating the fruit, everyone thought that being made out of rubber was a useless ability and he spent a decade figuring out how to use it effectively.

Pretty much only real special thing Luffy has going for him is voice of all things bullshit. Yes his parents were special, but there are plenty more special people, like BM who just inexplicably was born with super strength and indestructible body. Haoshoku is a rare thing but there are plenty other characters who have it and unlocked it way earlier in their lives, like Doflamingo. Naruto is a reincarnation of a demigod, Ichigo is selectively bred from all the powers and creatures imaginable. Out of Big 3 Luffy is the least special. Also it actually is one of the guidelines Shueisha has for mangakas writing battle shonen: protagonist has to be special.

It is to justify them beating older guys who have 30+ years of combat experience.

That said, Ichigo is still a loser despite being hybrid of everything. The pure Shinigamis tend to look more impressive.

>Pretty much only real special thing Luffy has going for him is voice of all things bullshit.
Reminder that Momonosuke can use it too and it is even better than Luffy. Momo can control zunisha. Luffy having the "voice of all things" has done literally nothing for him.

That's not how fractions work

Attached: thejoke.gif (500x382, 62K)

>He ate a fruit and became bulletproof and could solo thousands of marines right away.
Blatantly false. Luffy was a dumb kid with gimmicky fruit (more of a liability due to losing all strength in seawater) and couldn't use it properly for years. Basic gomu gomu no pistol required far more training than Naruto had his whole life.

The thing is that most of these series are not fully planned out and the authors are making it up as they go. This isn't really the mangaka fault, but rather how the whole serialization process works. There's no point in fleshing out your entire story beforehand only to get it axe within a few chapters or even before you get published. Like you do, I also give mangaka a pass on this, but I really wish they would at least put more effort into their stories.

You start with your protag being 12-17 y. o. and in few years you have to make him (whstronger at using whatever super power exists in the series than 40 or 400 y o. veterans (and your body doesn't give to aging in these series before well into middle age even if the characters do not live 1000 years). It's impossible to make it work without cheating.

>why do greek heroes always have perfect genes that let them become super strong

Greek heroes have the biggest asspulls. More so than any JUMP protag.

>Basic gomu gomu no pistol required far more training than Naruto had his whole life.

Obvious troll is obvious

>I really wish they would at least put more effort into their stories
They put tremondous effort into the series. But given how fucked up weekly mduangaka's schedule is, it's almost afte impossible not to get burnt out after few years. Plus, their inexperienced writers (for most of them it's their first or second major work) and then they have to put up with all the mistakes they did at the very beginning until the end of serialization.

For example, when you look n you Bleach since the middle of arrancar arc, it looks lazy and uninspired, but when you see his method for writing block is creating new characters (you can't just take a few months break) and how fucked up his health was at some point, it becomes more understandable how it ended up being this way.

I appreciate your indirect admission of being wrong.

Go back to DBS threads, my friend of latino origin.

Editors are partially to blame too. They try to steer a new series in a way that would make a potential cancellation as painless as possible. Then when it takes off it's enginereed to be sustainable for indefinite amount of time.

DBS is shit, fuck off with your baseless assumptions.

If you actually read One Piece you would know that when Luffy's body turned into rubber he couldn't throw a punch like that, his arm just flopped around. He had to build muscle to be able to maintain control over the stretched out arm, and a lot of it at that.
Though Naruto probably outdid that effort with all those shadow clones training on their own.

He beat a guy who was feared throughout the new world, had a better df, more experience, and better haki, oh luffy as half starved as well. About a day before he was getting his shit wrecked by someone who was far weaker and needed nami to help, he had no training inbetween.
He beat lucci with very little training, he beat crocdile with no training.
He is the epitome of being strong with no training and relying on asspulls

>Kishi wants to do a slow start with Land of Waves type arcs
>he's literally forced to do a tournament arc despite his protests
>he starts liking it
>he's forced to make it interruptegrd by a villain
Chuunin Exam arc was great, but this will always look wrong.

>Pull shit from arse
>Get called on it
>Claim victory

No

>best arc in the manga
>gets fucked by editors twice
Huh. Makes me wonder how good Naruto might've been if Kishi was allowed to do his thing.

Shadow clones training was a really lame way of handling things.
>I'll make a billion of clones so my training equals to million of years

Luffy is bad but nowhere on the level of the other two, even with all the bonuses he gets and the tons of hard work he puts in, he still doesn't even get near the zone of the strongest people and effortlessly gets his ass handed to him and only gets through situations because people like his spirit and support him

Gotta have something to differentiate them from goku.

>oh shit, I said something stupid because I didn't read the series I'm trying to discuss about
>I'll better greentext
Sure thing.

They don't

Attached: Tumblr_m8auho12291qmzw55o2_500.jpg (500x375, 34K)

The funny thing is Luffy usually faces off against prodigies and/or people who were given a super powerful fruit power and rarely has clean wins against them, usually he's just lucky or persistent enough. Not even counting times he had to escape.

Didn't luffy eat a fruit?
That would be pointless since all might transfers powers regardless of this
sayan

Did Kenichi from HSDK end up being part of some sort of lineage? Or was he pure?

Mochiboy was nerfed in the fight. He impaled himself, he stopped using his trident, and got interrupted during his meal so he was starved too. While I do agree katakuri should have won, Luffy is not stronger than him. His will to win was simply higher than katakuri's during that last standoff giving him the extra drive to keep on standing. Also, there are no training arcs in one piece. Luffy basically gets stronger after every fight and you're just suppose to roll with it. That's his "training".

>Luffy is not stronger than him. His will to win was simply higher than katakuri's during that last standoff giving him the extra drive to keep on standing.
That... is precisely what entails one being stronger.

>Greentexts about being butthurt by greentext
>Ignores the point

Obvious troll is obvious

Exactly, people think because he was declared the winner of a fight, somehow that makes him stronger but even in his wins where he has a final mega punch, it's more that his opponents don't feel he's ever going to stop and just give up that fight, not actually lose

youtu.be/lmMDfoiolXA?list=WL&t=305
He won the fight, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is stronger. There are more variables at play here than simply looking at the end result.

Adrock and Axel are world famous, Adrock being scientist and literally savior of the world and Axel being one of the best mechanics in the world. Renton maybe isn't super smart or something, but his family is making him somehow special anyway.

Yeah, but he doesn't have any genetics or super powers that make him special. He's a good mechanic, but that's because his grandfather taught him everything knows. He wasn't born naturally knowing how to fix machines and he was also a pretty shit pilot at first when he joined gekkostate.

Hashirama

Because if there was someone else like that in the story, we'd be following their adventure, not these ones.

>Gets training from the best hero and has an absurdly strong power handed to him, because he does not have good genes
Wow, impressive writing

Most Greek heroes get the bad end though.

Sakuragi was prodigy and was able to learn basketball in less than a week

>pssst user
>my genes aren't special neither I come from a great lineage inside my own species

Attached: 1497709004349.jpg (419x400, 28K)

>Eugenics manga

Endavor aprovews of this.

Attached: 1497300347447.gif (650x366, 3.71M)

he was pure

>He is the epitome of being strong with no training and relying on asspulls

Nah that would be Gintoki or anyone in Gintama in particular

Gon
Killua
Naruto
Ichigo
Luffy
Goku
who else?

Endeavor vs. Hiashi
Who wins?

Attached: Hiashi.png (750x750, 792K)

True about the lineage inside his race but his race grants:
>Zenkais
>SSJ
>SSJ2
>SSJ3
>SSJ4
>SSJG
>SSJGSSJ

Meanwhile humans stay there at Tien lvl and Nameks at Piccolo lvl.

Yoh and all of Joestars after Jonathan.

He was still handed his powers by the most powerful person. It's not that far off from inheriting them genetically.

Yeah but it's not the same belonging to a race of hacks than to be special inside your own race becauise bloodlines.

>Meanwhile humans stay there at Tien lvl and Nameks at Piccolo lvl.
krillin is strong and with 18 Maron might be the strongest human ever.