Need an intimate knowledge of the Bible just to get past basic investigation missions

>Need an intimate knowledge of the Bible just to get past basic investigation missions
Oodelolly

>have to know how to read hebrew to assemble stone tablets while following burning bushes around Egypt

I BET I KNOW WHO WAS BEHIND THIS

>he doesnt already have intimate knowledge of the bible

>it's a cipher puzzle
>it involves using an alternate alphabet
>alternatively, numerals are used in place of certain letters

>it's a mandatory Morse Code puzzle

I wish I had played TSW

>Have to know Latin just to use a computer

>game requires intimate knowledge of Shakespeare just to get past a basic puzzle

That premise was so good. I really hate that it was wasted on a fucking MMO.

This is why anti-localizationfags are the worst. Some stuff just doesn't fucking work in other languages because it was designed with different cultural knowledge and biases in mind.

Not really intimate, though.

So is this game worth getting into even without all the extra issues? I got it a while back when it was like 10 bucks but I didn't have the time to play it

>earned a degree in pharmaceuticals just to learn what treatment to administer to a guy with the shits

I think he wrote It because in The Secret World there is a quest where you have to manually input phrases with their OC demonic alphabet
The problem is the alphabet book is only partial and then you have to find other demonic letters mean.
Game is great but goddamn these missions.

>Guy sends you on a mission to find ancient artifacts
>Requires you to run around all over looking for clues
>The artifacts were in his basement the whole time
I hope you guys are cosmically aligned.
I got it in the Humble Bundle sale a few weeks back and I just started playing it yesterday. I've been enjoying it immensely, there's been tons of shit for me to do and I'm barely in the first major area from what I can tell.

Game is great even without, they usually sold the game on sale with all issues at 20€ at their website, not in steam if you want them

It's okay. It's very much a single player game with an MMO slapped on top so they can make more money. They try and do a lot of stuff that just doesn't fucking work- the stealth missions could be unbelievably frustrating, and the puzzle missions are clearly meant to be figured out by a team because they're a fucking 50 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. The rest of the game is just standard MMO stuff, except balanced around one player most of the time and you're killing 28 days later zombies instead of fantasy zombies and spooky haunted school ghosts instead of fantasy ghosts.

I wrote that confusingly. The stealth missions flat out don't work, the puzzle missions are hit and miss whether you like them or not. I'm willing to bet though, that 90% of the player base just looks the answers up online because the shit they want you to research is seriously esoteric and the clues are often extremely cryptic.

3 big area then you got Tokyo as 4th area.
The second area is the worst by atmosfere because its shit.
Kingsmouth > Transylvania > Tokyo > Egypt.
Dont mind me, the Egypt Story is fucked in the head as much as other horror games but the amtosphere is shit.

The most frustrating quest for me, was where you had to do emotes in front of statues despite there being no indication, help file or anything else anywhere in the game that you can even do emotes. You have to just spontaneously think to type /kneel into the text box, where nowhere else in the game do you need to do this.

I didn't ever mind Egypt too much, except the very first few missions had you running into these densely packed areas that had mobs that were like goddamn bouncers who would toss you on your ass wandering through them. They were OBNOXIOUS.

All the child guardians tasked to keep eternal watch over the Black Pyramid was a fucked up thing.

you still can?

are you fucking retarded?

>TSW
>have to look up bible verses to solve puzzles

Neat

>Need an intimate knowledge of the Bible just to get past basic investigation missions
kingsmouth neede passing knowledge of the bible at best for all of its investigations

man the fuck up

Egypt's first half is the screaming shits, but I actually liked the 2nd half.

But the first zone of the game is the clear best, it's the reason I bought it.

You know, I have to wonder what the community was like at the start of its lifespan.

>you need to know english to use Sup Forums

TSW is basically a singleplayer game pretending to be an MMO.

So pretty much the same.

If I had to compare it to any other game I'd say The Matrix Online.

>oodelolly

Unfortunately, some of the clues are so often searched that the actual puzzle solution can come up in a search before the material you're supposed to examine to solve the puzzle.

City of the Sun God was actually really good, it's the Scorched Desert portion of egypt that sucked major cock.

Gotta give them some credit for including "angry arab terrorists" as a main enemy type in the current PC age though.

Isn't it an MMO? How dead or soloable is it?

You should be able to solve this.

>that 90% of the player base just looks the answers up
>ome of the clues are so often searched that the actual puzzle solution

>that period in the beta where there was 1 chat per zone and everyone spoiled every single quest
>that period where they added a spoilers/help channel, and everyone still spammed spoilers in general chat

that being said, i shut the chat off, and actually needed help eventually for two kingsmouht investigations

that period where metric fucktons of people couldnt figure out to kill themselves in the sheriffs office

the only thing you cant solo are the dungeons, everything else is doable.
the "hardest" part isnt finding a group, its finding a group that doesnt mind not skipping video/story so you can experience it yourself

I think I'm at that part right now. I tried to bow since kneel apparently isn't a thing and almost died.

The puzzle is Australia day.

A bunch of quest need emotes to proceed, where the fuck are you? the starting zone?

If they could repackage all the investigation quests into a standalone game that didn't have some of the shittiest optimization possible, I'd buy it. I only played up until mid-Egypt, but goddamn I loved those investigation quests and all the ARG shit (real websites for fake shit).

I remember one where I fucked up and misspelled something, maybe a web link. If I remember correctly, the devs made another fake website just for retards like me who misspelled the word (I wish I could remember what it was). The fake website had a code on it, which lead me to believe I was on the right track. After solving the code, it basically just said "You fucked up and mispelled the word". That was great, even if I wasted time.

>If they could repackage all the investigation quests into a standalone game that didn't have some of the shittiest optimization possible, I'd buy it.
So, the black watchmen?

>the black watchmen
I've never heard of this and the Steam page doesn't really help me understand what the fuck this is.

Single player (except for the ARG stuff) investigation quest from a company that helped design TSW

I think I'll add it to my wishlist and keep and eye on it, thanks. Though I'm reading the reviews and I see some are talking about giving your address or cell phone number, which I would never fucking do.

Insane arabs fit in perfectly well with Lovecraftian universe. Although yeah it's probably just not many play it and there's no marketing to speak of, so of course they don't get bitched at about being non-PC.

Pretty sure the game has a demo you can try, and the personal information stuff is completely optional, as I mentioned they have ARGs divided in "seasons" in which they send clues and stuff to some players, but you can play only the single player stuff or participate in the ARGs in other ways

>That puzzle where you have to look up book references
>That puzzle written in ancient hebrew
>That puzzle written in romanian
>That stealth mission in the Vampire camp in transylvania

That part reminded me of the mummy with the whole brainwashed people chanting "Imhotep!", with "Aten!" instead.

>To open a lockbox for a quest you need to know where they post Hymns that will be sung that day in church.
>This is early on inside the starter town.

Fucking tickled me realizing that I did learn something in church as a kid.

>Everyone constantly shitting on TSW combat
>Go in expecting to have to slog through everything to enjoy the quests
>Combat is basically the same shit as GW2
>Actually have fun with it because I'm not moving from star to star autoattacking to fill up bars on the side of my screen
The missions is definitely where the game shines though, the shit it makes you learn might not be all that practical, but god damn is it enjoyable learning all this obscure nonsense and trying to figure out all the riddles.

The combat is bearable, it's not terrible. But all the weapons skills are pretty samey (visually and functionally), there's no real feedback from using them, all but the elites are pretty graphically bland, and some of the sound effects are pretty bad.

It's better if you say it's bad so that people understand you aren't playing the game for it, just for the quests, environment, and story. I got 3 RL friends to try it, none lasted past a week.

>Just found out you can craft higher level building materials by using stacks of lower level ones
>I've been vendoring everything thinking it was useless
Gosh darn it.

Is not really a big issue if you still are in Solomon Island, better material is easy to get until late game

I want to play this but I am really shit at puzzles

You probably want to start with something easier

>mfw everything in a dream to kill

I always called it "working knowledge of shakespeare" when i complained about it.

>I'm going to solve this puzzle all by myself!
15 minutes later
>Fuck it I'm just going to google it

>Sliding block puzzle

Used to play city of heros bwck in the day. The control scheme is similar but i had a shit time moving and firing in the tutorial. That and id rather play with people. Sick of single player mmos.

>I'm going to solve this puzzle all by myself, by only googling the appropriate information you are supposed to look up
>First search result is a guide of the quest

Illuminati > Templars > Weebs

I used to hate them, but once you get how to do it, you should be able to do any with ease.

True, Templar fashion is pretty strong tho

Sucks that it couldn't be single player with better com at. Everything else about it was pretty neat and I wanted it to be complete

ASS TO ASS

>TSW is really cool
>It's an MMO
Fucking why?

>nobody wants to do any of the nightmare instances that actually take work
>New York raid got old after 5 runs, and it's way too stressfull as a tank anyway since the world is literally on your shoulders without a second of respite

I wish this game went places, but instead it stagnated into mediocrity. Realm shame.

I didn't even check tokyo out, but what I've heard about the new upgrade system seems insanely grindy, boring and pointless, so I opted out. How's the game now ?

This game had the worst dungeoneering I have ever seen. Back when I player it was impossible to get into a nightmare group without being gear checked right at the gates, and most groups would flat out refuse you if you didn't already know the fights.

I got out of my way to be welcoming and teach people strats but I was clearly in the minority

I couldn't get a single group for Nightmare ankh before I managed to get into a group from my guild that was running it.

*dungeoneering community

For them sweet microtransactions, bro. Why make a single player game where the customer only pays once, when you could make a single player game thoroughly linked to a central server (best DRM) where people pay you to unlock the shit that's already in the code so they can have a faggot cat following them around?

It really is a shame it's an MMO. What a world we'd live in if it could be a sort of V:TM:B sequel, where it actually is a "secret" world and you don't have thousands of people running around using blood magic in front of people and summoning miniature lovecraft monsters to follow them around and shit.

>tfw Sentinels' backstory

>mfw they fired the writer a year ago and the last update was a repackaging of previous DLC

He's going on to do better shit.

Funcom never, EVER shuts down their MMOs.

>have to be autistic to figure out the obtuse solution without a guide

Garbage mostly if you exclude the few roleplayers and arg players

>puzzle requires extensive knowledge of mathematics

THIS
ENTIRE
FUCKING
>Not keeping an ESV Bible with you whenever you play games
Heathens