How is Digital Devil Saga?

How is Digital Devil Saga?
The last SMT game I played was Nocturne which I stopped playing a while back cause I got tired of everything everywhere trying to kill me.

Everything everywhere is still trying to kill you.

It's closer to a traditional JRPG with SMT flavoring. The game is generally much more story-focused and straightforward. Rather than recruit demons for your party, you have 5 human party members that gain skills through a big sphere grid. It's generally easier than Nocturne.

Pixie didnt want to kill you.

DDS is good, specially if you liked the press turn system from Nocturne.

It's for people who would prefer a cohesive, character-driven narrative. I like it a lot better than Nocturne, it's my favorite thing out of MegaTen by a wide margin.

But outside of a very few select companions, everything everywhere is still trying to kill you.

Story and characters are pretty nice.

Personally I really hate the Mantra system though. I'm so used to having a fluid party in SMT games that being stuck with the same fucks feels wrong, and it takes a while to build up new skills, especially the higher end ones.

Fantastic all around.

It is certainly more linear than SMT proper or Persona, but that is what I liked about it. I tend to lose interest in more open games that don't have an intense focus.

The themes of SMT games always interested me but I would always lose interest in them and never be able to finish them. This one hit my sweet spot.

Where should I put stats into for Serph?

It's been a few years, but I remember Devouring enemies made skills level up super fast. If you made an effort to Devour when possible, skills should have racked up at a good pace.

And remember there is literally no reason to not be in demon mode ever.

Wherever you want.

I had mine be a Vit/Str build, if I remember right. Very little is resistant to physical.

Half demon mode is strictly superior

MAG, no contest. It's way more useful than STR in DDS1 and 2 in nearly every sense, plus Serph is naturally set up to take advantage of DDS1's best optional skill due to having the earliest access to Ice Boost/Amp.

DDS is a huge downgrade from Nocturne. You're better off trying Nocturne again and not wasting your time.

Hunting those EXP brain-things. Aren't they weak to bullets?

this . If you devour frequently enough, your problem will be having enough money to replace the skills you build up

Why is it that I have seen so many images of this game lately? Is it a sign for me to finish it? I do not comprehend

Gale getting more of a backstory in DDS2 manages to make him bearable

>play SMT
>"I got tired of everything everywhere trying to kill me"

I liked Gale and I stopped playing after Sera gets kidnapped and you have to go to a tower(?) how much is it till the end of the game?

That sounds like the plot of the entire game.

It is my favorite megaten series by far. I love its characters, its music, its gameplay and its unique hunting mechanic.

Here are a few tips:
>Hunting skills count as their own category, so even enemies who null physical are damaged by it
>Heat sucks, Serph is better off being the physical user of the party
>You can always keep a consistent party in DDS1, but in 2 you will need to level up everyone more equally
>Sell Solar Cells during full solar cycles to obtain more money from them
>Specialize your characters to the elements they're weak to, so they can learn a passive resistance to them later on, and you don't get assraped by endgame bosses

That's it. Although the tower is rather long.

Overall pretty good, but I liked DDS1 much more than 2. It's the same as system as Nocturne, so if you like that you'll probably like DDS. 1 has oneof the best boss fights in a JRPG IMO and a great atmosphere. A few protips:

Serph, Argila and Gale are the best characters in the games since they get super special secret attacks if you make the right choices through the games.
2. You will get stuck using different members during segments so be aware to spread exp. around
3. It is best to start characters on the element they are weak on so you can pick up the Null/reflect skill for that element to prevent getting raped by bosses.
4.Cielo is secretly the strongest character in
dds1 if you want to fight the sectret boss on new game plus
5.Don't bother with berserk mode in DDS2. it causes you to miss more which is asking to get raped since a miss throws away all your press turns
6.Grinding to invinciblity will get you killed by the secret boss in DDS1

That's the final dungeon.

Ok thanks, I'll have to finish it then, I forgot why I stopped playing, probably some other game came out around the time.

Cielo is worthless in a first run of DDS1, that should be noted.

And Berserk mode is not so bad if you have someone with multi-hit attacks.