I miss Renting Games

I miss Renting Games...

Other urls found in this thread:

cybernight.elementfx.com/buster.html
expatistan.com/cost-of-living/sydney
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm renting random games I did not choose RIGHT NOW with the power of PS+.

I don't. It's so much better now cuz we can buy games before they're finished.

I hate renting games

in store rentals were expensive where I lived as a kid

online rental like gamefly were slow and often lost shit

redbox has shitty selection

sure could use some more proper digital rental service that isn't streaming

but I doubt a good one will ever happen, would hurt actual sales by being too easily accessible and with games that last only 5 hours

So just go to a Redbox, silly

Wow, that's amazing. And just for the low price of $59.99?

Did you guys know that there is a little D in the letter R?

I hated Blockbusters as the people who worked at the one near me were lazy as fuck.

Would always return a game a day before the due date and would always be charged with a late fee.

Steam says hello

>sure could use some more proper digital rental service that isn't streaming
That digital rental already exists. It just charges you the full price.

that's not what I call a "proper" service

There's still a rental store in my town and they keep up on new vidya releases. 5 bucks for a week. Lol I haven't bought a game in ages

>user you have have one move, one game and one snack

What do you chose?

Gamefly's been great for me for three years now.

I've saved a lot of money on potential bad purchases.

jurassic park
majoras mask
choco taco

>tfw there's a blockbuster remaining that's only a 10 minute drive away from where I live

>online rental like gamefly were slow and often lost shit

I generally got my gamefly rentals the day after they shipped and never had a problem with missing items. My only sticking point was you could wait a while to get a new, popular game so I usually just end up buying them.

If Gamefly existed when I was a kid it would be the best thing ever, though.

tfw the video rental store in my town closed down this year

impossible

Liar liar pants on fire.

there are still 12 or so blockbusters operating in the USA. it is possible.

The last remaining US stores seem to be located in Oregon and Alaska.

cybernight.elementfx.com/buster.html

So you live in Alaska, right?

>in store rentals were expensive where I lived as a kid

When I was a kid renting N64/PSX games I'd hit Video Update on Tuesday, when 3-day game rentals were 99 cents.
Old VHS stuff was 2 for 99 cents for 1 week rentals too, I watched all the Bond movies and all the anime they had

Lotta old people in your neighborhood afraid of computers? I can't imagine any other group that could sustain enough business for a rental store in the face of netflix and redbox.

At least one of those oregon stores is only open ironically.

Yeah we had that in my neighborhood too. RIP Video Encounters, you were good to me in the NES/SNES days with your $2.50/5 day rentals, the adult section right next to the Genesis games and chances to win free rentals by dropping a green quarter on a small pedestal in a tall cylinder of water.

Melbourne

>3 stores in my state
>one in PDX and the other two in bumfuck eastern oregon

Dude, Redmond and Bend are bretty good.

There used to be a Blockbuster about a 10 minute walk away from where I live

It's a gym now

Pirate a game, burn 10 dollars, then remove it from your computer in a week

Bam, renting games is back

It alludes me how there isn't a rent option on steam for old games. I'm sure they would make a lot of money and it wouldn't harm their sales at all.

>tfw parents take you to rent games & movies on Friday night
>run to the anime section, look at the back of each movie to find the most R rated one you can find
>parents never knew because it was cartoons
>so many anime tits and blood when I was a young teen
>tfw some of that anime you rented is legendary status these days.

Goddamn I miss being younger.

Well did you at least got the badge?

Me, too. It was a special weekend thing for us. We'd go on Friday and pick out games, movies, and some snacks. It was great.

>ywn get a job as a rental store clerk and talk nothing but vidya and movies with the customers

Can confirm Blockbuster in Fairbanks Alaska.

>Walk in and Jurassic Park theme was playing over the speakers
>Games were current gen but still have DLC code vouchers inside the case (Used to copy them for Nintendo Club points every year)

It was like walking into the past.

>PS+
>Xbone Live Gold
>Red Box
>Game Fly

You can still rent games, now easier than ever before!

>their parents took them to blockbuster instead of hollywood video

how was it growing up lower middle class, you fucking peasants? hahahahaha

fuck movies, can i just get 2 games instead mom?
also skittles

You only miss renting games because your parents were paying.

umm how old are you?

My last rental store in the area closed in October

RIP Hastings

Bitch I was renting games on my own money all the way up until this year since there's no more rental stores open here and fuck paying $3 a night at fucking Redbox

Hollywood Video was the shit. The one in my hometown used to offer consoles for rent, in addition to games.

>paying to temporarily pirate games

i remember ripping ps2 and wii games
shit was cash

Which one? I had a Hollywood Video in Medford OR

Redbox

Niggas northern Midwest still got this shit. I fucking work at a family video part time while I go to uni. AMMA Sup Forumseddit

>You will never again go to blockbuster with friends and rent a bunch of games to play in either your friend's room, his living room or whatever you call that big room with the old bigscreen TV because it isn't 2004 and none of you own your own computer
>computer games are still kinda lame because right now is the height of the PS2 empire.
What the fuck Max, your house wasn't that big but you had 2 living rooms???

>That day you went to blockbuster and your dad said you could _buy one game

What's the pace like? Do you get to dick around on shift? There's one sort of by me.

>Rent L4D on Xbox 360 because I heard from my friends that it was good
>Split screen with my best friend
>Stay up all weekend playing and having fun
>Suck each other's dicks at night time
I miss being young.

Yeah I'm usually browsing threads or watching youtube when noones around. There are like 10 stores in this city so there are a few super busy ones then the rest are slow.

Exception is if it snows/rains people just fucking flock like crazy people and it gets pretty busy. Fridays and Saturday evenings like 4-9 PM are pretty busy too.

>spoiler
I still never really quite understood the frequency of this.

>city
So you're in the city then?

Yeah this entire shit city's economy is based on the university. Which is shit because the only nice place here is the UNI.

is gamefly still a thing?

Surprisingly, yes.

I work at a Blockbuster. There are still some left in Australia, although mine is currently going out of business.

Free rentals and I get paid 23.60 an hour.

tfw when in Europe and no video game rentals. ;_;

Renting games is still a thing in my country

>I get paid 23.60 an hour

Jesus Christ, is that normal in Australia for menial positions to have such high salaries?

You little kids keep talking about Blockbuster, while 20 years ago I'm renting Super Nintendo and Genesis games from the true Video Rental store.

>high salaries
>australia

I'm not from Australia and even I know that their high salaries don't mean anything when everything there costs 4x as much there. Have you even seen the prices of vidya in Australia?

Cost of food, rent, utilities, these are the things that should determine wages, not electronic toys; if these things are higher than I understand however. I'm just saying that I live North of 60, and those types of jobs generally only pay 15-20 an hour, and that's for living in the fucking arctic where all food has to be shipped thousands of km, housing prices are insane, and utility prices sky high.

I miss Blockbuster

>Buy a portable DVD player that could burn disks
>Get the unlimited game pass
>get a PS1 game, go to my car, burn it, 40 minutes later return

I got like 30 free game before they realized what I was doing and banned me.

You could have gotten the entire catalog, if you weren't so stupid.

expatistan.com/cost-of-living/sydney

I used the cost of a generic video game as a point to show how high the cost of living is, but you have to be clueless and difficult.

Besides your bizarrely high egg prices, these aren't much worse than where I live.

>I used the cost of a generic video game
Terrible idea as videogame prices aren't very indicative of cost of living. Just look at Brazil for example.

>true Video Rental store.

The only true one was the local mom and pop store. Thank you, First Stop Video.

I rent from redbox pretty frequently. Nowhere near the selection blockbuster had, but it's not bad either. I played through FFXV for $4.50, which was pretty cool. I'm gonna pick up hitman because they're gonna have the full first season at redbox when it drops retail. With any luck, for honor will be on there too, they have most ubisoft games, only one they haven't had is WD2 in recent memory.

It really makes playing games a hell of a lot cheaper.

I used to use gamefly, but I got a disc in shards once, and they tried to charge me for it. I told them to fuck off and cancelled my subscription and sent the disc back, never heard from them again.

Returning rentals was always depressing

>sydney cost of living 42% higher than my city according to this website
>wages for low skill jobs about 250% higher

Savage utility prices though