This is my favorite game. Is it anybody else's as well?

this is my favorite game. Is it anybody else's as well?

Other urls found in this thread:

kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no

no

no

Oh yes.

no

maybe

it's not my #1 favorite game, but it's up there
this game is amazing

It has a soft spot in my heart, one of the few games I could run on my toaster back in the day after I discovered piracy.

No, Savage

Completely obsolete now that Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are out.

bitch pls

I haven't played the original but I've finished all the others and fucking love them. Great series.

mankind divided > human revolution > deus ex > invisible war

It's one of those GOTYAY classic games that you're not allowed to say anything bad about ever

come on at least try

Why does everyone on Sup Forums hate on Invisible War? It was the first one I played and I thought it was A+ shit. Are there specific complaints?

Deus Ex>Invisible War>Mankind Divided>>Human Revolution

All the new Deus Ex are dog shit compared to the original. Why were people so hyped over Human revolution again? The maps are all but linear.

It's good but clunky. It's very overrated here

The combat sucks. Many skills and augments in vanilla are downright worthless. The graphics were kind of weak, even when it was released. There's probably a lot more.

It's still one of my all time favorites, top 5 easily.

You're either baiting or a retard

>The combat sucks
You are supposed to play on Realistic difficulty.

>muh strawmen
Oh fuck off with this shit. Of course it has flaws, everything by human hand does, particularly when it's commercial, and vidya is fundamentally a commercial enterprise. It has to exist within the confines of the technology and tools of its time, and within the limits of budgets, development/launch schedules, etc.

The point of 10/10 isn't that it's some mythical "perfect" it's that it's something where that magical gelling happened and the result was more then the sum of its parts, where it has stood the test of time. Deus Ex is just plain a great fucking game. It's got a fun story, the levels are a very, very rarely matched just right hybrid of sandbox and linear that few games have managed before or since. Most have gone to extremes which tend to result in either total on-rails which is hard to do in a decent way outside of something like Panzer Dragoon, or "open world of nothing" where "you can go anywhere" but it's fucking boring, there's no real direction or stuff going on. It's got great music. The plot and characters were fun. There was a solid variety of weapons, tools, and skills, and it was well worth multiple replays. There were lots of fun secrets that rewarded exploration and trying new stuff.

There were bugs sure. There were augs that weren't very well balanced or useful. It has benefitted from community mods and engine updates and textures and such since launch. Even so it's loved for a good reason, not "because you're not allowed to say anything bad about it."

this tbqh
the rpg mechanics in general are a huge drag on the early game; it would've been much better if it just released as a stealth/action game with an emphasis on resource scarcity/management and a handful of tertiary abilities instead of what we wound up getting

It didn't stand the test of time. It was bad even on release, see Tom Chick's review. The only reason people liked it and like it to this day is the cheesy futuristic spy action theme.

It's actually not that bad besides the fact that it runs like shit, there's tons of abnoxious loading screens, and that your actions are never hold any weight; you can just switch sides near the end without and repercussion.

It's actually extremely fun. The weapon mods give you a lot of room for experimentation.universal ammo means you can use whatever weapon you want from start to finish, so you'll never see your limited edition engraved 50cal explosive revolver turn into a paperweight by the time you're half way through the game.

Not Deus Ex.

That's literally it. If the game came out under a different name with no references to Deus Ex in it the industry would remember it as a 7.5-8 game that was a decent imitator.

>The combat sucks.
This seems to be a common complaint but I truly honestly disagree with it. I think the combat is fantastic, and I love the progression and how it forces you to really slow down, think things through, and experiment with various options and mechanics at the start. You can and even must actually utilize sneaking, shadows, noises and distractions, physics, exploration, 3D movement and so on. I'd agree that DX combat is DIFFERENT and certainly very different in feel and progression vs most FPS, but I loved it even pure vanilla.

>Many skills and augments in vanilla are downright worthless.
This has more truth to it though. I don't think there are many that are actually entirely "worthless" per se but there are certainly clear advantages to some over others, and this matters particularly with augs. Skills have different strengths bothered me less because some of them making stuff harder was actually fun on replays. But still yeah that was weak.

Most of the "boss" fights were pretty weak too FWIW. I guess it could be argued that fit, but I think DX would have benefitted from a bit more optional oomph to some of the truly climatic showdowns/turnarounds. Though even if you speeded it you got some pretty awesome lines.
>I... am not a machine.

nobody in this thread has played it. instead they parrot opinions of youtubers with hot opinions and pass them off as their own. if you could magically pick 100 people on Sup Forums right now, 99 of them have never even installed it. instead they play it vicariously through other people's hot opinions and let memes like games age poison their minds. the few that actually played it gave up on liberty island.

>tfw I probably spent more time making maps for Deus Ex than most of Sup Forums did playing it

>Sup Forums playing games made before 2012

lol

>Not Deus Ex.

And the Monreal games are? The industry sure is giving that game a free pass.

Invisible War had some REALLY big shoes to fill so I understand people's disappointment. Despite its shorcomings IW was still stayed very true to the Deus Ex aesthetics, tone, themes, and style of play.

Where did you actually need a map? Or were you just noting item placement around the levels?

>not sure if just baiting for replies to keep thread alive or not
I actually think a lot of Sup Forums has played DX. Back in 2009/2010 I'd have bet nearly everyone had, people reinstalled a lot just from seeing threads including me. I guess with the influx of people maybe it's less now but for all we bitch Sup Forums is still not really a normalfag place and there are plenty of oldfags and niches still around, I'd still bet the percentage who have actually fully played it or even replayed it here is a lot higher then the average on vidya sites. You're right most probably haven't put the kind of time some of us have into it, but that's true of most games in general. Putting a lot into one game means not playing as many, some people love going deep others like to try lots.

These days I do think there's so much that compared to the 90s, even late 90s (let alone 80s), there is a lot less emphasis on pouring tons of time into just one thing because that's what you had and that's it.

>tfw gave up after liberty island

After I beat Manhood Divided, I'll go play it

I hope this is an unfunny joke and not nu-Sup Forums stupidity.

>Where did you actually need a map?

he mean creating maps in a level editor you doofus

It does run better now on modern power systems, but yeah, when it was new it was a great example of no optimization and console memory design limits(not to mention the UI is fucking awful because of console design as well.)

There were a lot of things I liked about it, but even for a standalone non-DX game, it needed a lot of work still. At the very, very minimum, some fucker should've taken an extra week to straighten out walking animations. Watching people stiffwalk and robot-turn on patrols is embarssing.

I hated it, but in fairness I might have a different view now with another decade of experience and distance. Because I didn't like it I can't remember all the flaws I found with it in the time, it's not something I've ever replayed, although I agree with above user who said it'd probably have been a 7 or 8/10 (in the older sense where those weren't actually bad scores at all) without the comparison. One thing that has stuck with me is that I really, really didn't like how they we completely indecisive and tried to pull the "every single ending happened XD" shit. I thought they should have just picked a single one (would have had to be Illuminati probably, unless they wanted to go really dark/semi-horror with Dark Age, and transcendence is super hard by definition to do well) and run with it cleanly. The actual game development was hurt by inferiority syndrome.

The Montreal ones were smart in that they avoided that entirely by going the prequel route, which allowed them to go for a different aesthetic and need no direct characters, continuations, and so forth. Still DX but also with more room to stand on their own. Not that I didn't expect DX:HR to fucking suck horribly anyway, but while I was pleasantly surprised I also thought as soon as I heard that a prequel was a much easier approach to the franchise then a sequel.

If you genuinely believe games don't age then you don't understand what that even means or you're a literal retard. That said, I played Deus Ex this year for the first time and it was fantastic.

We can all agree that for all the shitty gameplay in Invisible War it still gave us best girl, right?

Sim version NG Resonance a cute.

>watching reviewers
>not forming your own opinion

I tried so fucking hard to like this game but I couldn't

Sorry hivemind ;_;

I didn't care for NG, but the kiosks did introduce me to kidney thieves.

I picked up that album after playing it. Great stuff.

I would unironically sacrifice my freedom to the New World Order if it meant kidneythieves was chart topping music.

I'd suggest visiting the kentie site for Deus Ex on Modern Systems:
>kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm
and going with that exe, it helps a lot. Upgraded textures may be a good idea too. Otherwise it's actually pretty solid plain vanilla, though it might take you the normal time to get back into the older style of graphics and the unique way its gameplay works.

For a 2nd play through (fine on the first but not needed either) one of the "vanilla+" mods is a good idea, there are some that just focusing on bug fixes, basic tweaks to aug balance and such, and that's it. That USED to be "shifter" but I heard they went full fucking retard a few years back and started adding in tons of dumb shit, so I'm not sure what the current recommendation is. I think some folks forked an old version of it, maybe someone else here knows what to go with.

Do not under any circumstances get the "Deus Ex Revival" thing (I think that's what it was called) it's horrible. The HL2 Cinematic Mod of dx, albeit without the fully modeled vaginas and squirting/dripping physics.

>And the Monreal games are?
In fact, yes. Eidos is doing their best to ensure they are. Unfortunately, that sometimes cuts down on originality.
It's probably hard to like if you go in expecting an FPS or something. It fares much better in stealth.

This games aesthetic, music, atmosphere, and believable corporate/Hilary hell future alone make this in my top 3.

Then you have the level design and gameplay design.

Absolute masterpiece that does everything the medium allows to uniquely convey in a amazing way.

\