DQ VIII

youtube.com/watch?v=-wmCNkUfV2U
No random encounters
is it worth buying now?

Like, 70% of what made Dragon Quest VIII stand out was the gorgeous orchestrated soundtrack

I legitimately can't imagine playing the game without it

fuck random encounter bullshit

turn based is fine but i hate random encounters

it looks worth it and i literally just preordered it

yeah this is what made me give up playing it when i played it on ps2

yeah understandable but desu dragon quests soundtrack gets repetitive no matter what game

it sure makes grinding easier and i dont have to use whistle every goddamn time to find enemies

now i can just see them

pirates can get a version with the orchestral music patched back in

This. Don't support gimped releases.

Not to mention you onl;y have to fight about an eighth of the battles because the game's been rebalanced for no random encounters!

>implying this is a good thing
Game is babbified, honestly.

>forced grinding is a good thing
only on Sup Forums

>HP and MP refills at level up
Never understood why that's a thing

Never understood why it wouldn't be a thing

I would usually apply that to other franchises, but not Dragon Quest.

Never Dragon Quest.

>Game has specific locations, items and spells to heal yourself
>Need some planning and ressource managing to survive
>But now you get an instant HP and MP boost at random times just because why not

VII's synth is damn near equal to the orchestrations and I have no doubt VIII's will be as well.

it helps to make the player feel as if they've progressed

Not at all VII's ost was the worst this year and VIII is using the jap audio

He's a fucking babby. Don't humor children.

you're retarded, you know that?

am not a babby

Its true there isn't a single OST worse than VII's midis.

VII on PSX used midi.
VII on 3DS uses synth.
there's a difference, and one can almost measure up an orchestration, especially when coming through a 3DS's shitty speakers.

not at all, its not even close to the orchestrated soundtrack, its closer to the PS1 version.

>DQ VII 3DS comes out
>I HATED RANDOM ENCOUNTERS THANK YOU FOR REMOVING THEM BASED SQUARE ENIX
>new system puts you in a battle every couple of steps because enemies spawn immediately in your path

uh what's the complaint surrounding random battles again?

I've got bad news for you then, user
You're fucking deaf

the earthbound style of encounters is fine but the dungeons need to be designed around that. dq7's weren't, which is why it sucks

you know you can run around most of the enemies right?
the only time you cant is in the narrow caves

>that synth music
Fucking hell.
I wouldn't have a problem with it if they used better samples. And somehow the samples they use here are worse than the synth in DQX's soundtrack.

>no orchestrated soundtrack

YOU HAD ONE FUCKING JOB SQUEENIX

>Planning and resource managing
>Dragon Quest

Sounds like shit on 3DS

so uh how is 7? I keep getting mixed reviews from everyone. A lot of people say it's great but then a lot of people say it's just slow and feels outdated as fuck

5 Years ago I would agree with you but once you realize that Squarenix has ignore the West for all non-mainline DQ games since Joker, you lose any respect for them.

There's a Rocket Slime 3 (that came out in 2011) for fucking fuck. Fuck Square, I'll pirate all your shit because you've pretty much said "we don't care about the west" and gave us half-assed releases of even their main numbered titles.

Better than DS VI.

it's OK. jrpg's are outdated in general. if you enjoy jrpg's anyway there's a decent chance you'll enjoy it to some extent. there are balance issues (what game doesn't have these?). the music is beautiful (if you get the patched cia with the orchestrated music) but it sort of wears out its welcome because there aren't a lot of tracks. the visuals are very nice for 3ds standards (but they also sort of wear out their welcome because there are only so many tilesets that the many towns and locations are built out of. there is a LOT of backtracking.

Not the same guy but, why is this a problem?

If you sneak past all the enemies because you can see them and can plan on avoiding them, you will get obliterated by a boss eventually. This happened in DQ7 where you can avoid almost every avoidable fight, until you get to the All-Trades Abbey arc, where you get fucked by the mid-boss(es).

DQ7 has the worst opening hour of any RPG I've played.
namely, you don't fight anything for an entire hour, you just run back and forth on a fetch quest and you don't feel like you're accomplishing anything

All the fucking mainline games are out in the west you dunce.

I got to love how SE has been steadily releasing DQ in the west and here you are sperging and whining about them and claiming how you'll pirate everything. Hah.

>There's a Rocket Slime 3 (that came out in 2011) for fucking fuck.
A game that sold like shit in Japan for a DQ game (took months to sell over 100k copies, in comparison DQH launched @ 700-800k copies or so) and a spin-off, not mainline.

I think the nip composer hates the west

>"I don't know how to read but since you said pirating I'm not blindly upset: the post"

I specifically said that they're releasing the mainline games while ignoring the spin-off games in the west you fucking nigger,

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Playing the 3ds version was my first experience with the game and I can honestly say it's one of the most unfriendly games I've ever played. As a new player you hit random walls in the game that require obscure triggers to progress the story. I'm 14 hours in and have done 7-8 islands and still haven't unlocked the jobs or the majority of the feature that make the game "good"

When doing side quests and traveling around from a to b random encounters are fucking god awful
This way you can do shit in the world without that issue

>I specifically said that they're releasing the mainline games while ignoring the spin-off games in the west you fucking nigger,
Dragon Quest Heroes, Dragon Quest Heroes 2, Dragon Quest Builders within a year along with Dragon Quest VII and Dragon Quest VIII.

Yeah, totally ignoring it.

>I'm 14 hours in and have done 7-8 islands and still haven't unlocked the jobs or the majority of the feature that make the game "good"
You unlock the job system around 1/4th into the game. Shit game design that some people slurp up

>Keifer fucks off and leaves you to continue the adventure that he dragged you on in the first place
>did so for that gypsy pussy and to escape his 'destiny' of being a prince
>all he had to do was go to the next island and change his vocation

There was a princess who changed her vocation to bunny girl, or at least was going to.

>princess
You mean old man.

pretty sure there was a princess doing that too. She got caught or something and was complaining about it after the island's events were done.

DQ Builders on PC when??

So is this series worth getting into?

can I marry jessica?

I'll be buying it. It's one of my favorite games and the music change doesn't really bother me cause I'm use to Dragon Quest synths.

Yes.

Nope. Fuck Nintendo and their censoring practices.

No dragon quest monster games
No rocket slime games
No Terrys wonderland

But that's NoJ's doing.

gonna pirate the uncensored + orchestrated patched version. i dont support censorship.

what happens to horse princess?

I dunno.

yeah no the censorship was in the jap version the music is because the composer doesnt want to give the west a license to his orchestrated music

>Square-Enix is to Dragon Quest what Namco Bandai has been to its IP up until 4-5 years ago.

Amusing.

>No X games
>Therefore they're ignoring everything
Flawless.

Also, Terry's Wonderland is DQM1