Why do people play moralfags in RPGs?

Why do people play moralfags in RPGs?

Does anyone else find this interesting? Does it make up some inadequacy or insecurity in their every day lives? Are they simply emotionally and intellectually undeveloped and immature? Are these people a way to make a quick buck from devs like Bioware who want to exploit their childish hero complex?

99% of the time moralfag route gives better rewards

Also less of a hassle. Baldur's explicitly punishes you for choosing evil. When your rep goes below a certain amount, there is a random chance every time you enter a location to be assaulted by the flaming fist.

I mean, it's fine. They're exp fodder anyways.

In a game like Arcanum that doesn't have alignments you choose and your choices make your alignment, I usually just end up saving almost everybody and I end up majority good because of it.

Also you're usually rewarded better for doing the "good" option, regardless of the game.

It's a trope, bad option = instant gratification, good option = long term higher rewards.

I'm a piece of shit irl so it's fun to rp the opposite

except this is usually untrue. Doing an act of good can lead to evil results that pay off in the long term. One of the Star wars Tor was laughable for this very reason. I cant remember the quest unfortunately as that game was shit.

>Are they simply emotionally and intellectually undeveloped and immature?
>only plays as edgy faggot

Are you serious user? You can't possibly be this much of a faggot.

Yeah user you're a real bastard

i've seen these exact same fucking posts about a hundred times here

We're all a real bastard. We're all anons :)

unfortunately as as time went on you could be a bad buy by doing edgelord shit or being a moustache twirling bond villian

>take the "mean" route
>dialogue options are immature/over-the-top satan tier

>except this is usually untrue.
It's not 'usually' untrue. It's sometimes untrue, but that doesn't detract from his point.

It can be fun to be an unwavering moralist in well written RPGs, because it actually limits you and makes you seem like a selfish dickhead who puts their own morality over the the wellbeing/efficiency of things around you.

Being a sociopathic pacifist is can also be good in well written RPGs.

Honestly I always go the good route in the first playthrough, even tho most games have an obvious agenda I always try to pick the option that fits my vision of good the best, I also assume most people do that.

Fuck you if you think alignments and goodie points matter.

stop making this thread everyday.

Yea, ive never understood why you cant just be nice to people, only to just fuck them over at the opportune moment. That's business and quite honestly how a lot of evil people got into power and/or schemes. Hell, a ponzi scheme is exactly this. Be nice to your customers so you can embezzle their money in the long run, then just ditch it and run before anyone finds out.

>play evil character
>evil is just demanding useless currency
and pointless killing

I usually play good the first round of the game just to make sure I don't miss anything, and make sure I get all the rewards.

Usually second playthough I fuck around a lot more and do what I want.

If only IRL I was on my second playthrough...

I feel like this is required reading for these threads.

Are there any RPGs where I can roleplay as a pragmatist? I'm sick of the good/evil dichotomy, and I'm sick of there being no consequences for being an impratical moralfag idealist.

>too immersed in gam
>game gives me the option to be an asshole evil cunt
>feel bad and don't want to hurt anyone
>just want to be everyone's friend

Tyranny maybe?

If you have the stomach for it, Neverwinter Nights roleplaying servers

Lawful Neutral is the only possible choice.

I'm a good person in real life, so I play good people in vidya. I don't enjoy being an asshole. I will be the champion of the people even if the rewards are worse, because it makes me feel good to be that kind of person, even to digital people.

That's about it.

That sounds extremely autistic so I'll probably love it. Thanks.

True neutral is the best alignment, prove me wrong

When it comes to decisions in video games I think to myself, what would Big Boss do?

Would he be considered chaotic neutral?

i always play as a crusader

The fate of the game's world is in your hands, but you are an edgy-chaotic scum that doesn't care about it, I mean, its not like you live in it.

So in Skyrim you're Stormcloak? Because the stormcloacks try to protect their homeworld from the thalmor, and the templars try to protect the HOLY LAND from the muslims.

fuck no

>RPG
>good/evil and chaos/order aren't separate axes
>the chaotic faction is always the good one