What does Sup Forums think about instrument rhythm games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band?

What does Sup Forums think about instrument rhythm games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band?
>inb4 learn a real instrument nerd
Playing GH as a child inspired me to learn real guitar, 4 years now.

Pretty fun time-killers, also GREAT party games

9/10 overall

I like them a lot, but 4 was a huge letdown.

They're fun and good in short bursts and excellent to play at parties. I'd rather play rocksmith though, since it's a little closer to playing the real thing

they are laughable, Im an adult who can afford a real instrument

Agreed. Fantastic party games. I had a lot of great times playing both with friends.

omg same

I played Guitar Hero way back when a lot and was total shit. Then I stopped playing and took up actual guitar and played for about 7 years before picking up a Guitar Hero game again and suddenly I was really good at Guitar Hero. I like the games, they're a blast to play with friends. I wanted to pick up Rock Band 4 but the set list is the worst of the whole series and I really am not interested in enough of the downloadable tracks to make it worth it. 2 and 1 had good set lists. I think GH2, 3 and 5 had the best set lists of that series.

I'd like to pick up Rocksmith for shits and giggles, but I can't help but feel like I'd end up developing regressive tendencies by playing it. The game seems to encourage rigidity and from what I've seen of it I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone wanting to pick up the instrument as a prime learning tool. Granted I've never played it.

Which of these should I get into if I want to become a Sup Forumstant?
I've only got bare-bones knowledge of keyboarding and music theory, but I'd like to think I've got some dexterity.

That they're a dead genre now and was taken over my dance party games, and I think those are ded too

>if I want to become a Sup Forumstant?
Are you asking which game has the most Sup Forums-approved song list?

failure of marketing and management of releasing the right games at the right time. half of these games could have simply been DLC.
>gh1 - lol wtf is guitar hero
>gh2 - oh this is cool i saw some 10 year old shred hard on youtube
>gh3 - holy shit this is amazing (peak of GH series)
>ghwt - this is alright. drums are cool.
>ghaerosmith - uh ... ok good for fans
>ghmetallica - fans or not, metallica is perfect for gh
>ghvanhalen - lol whos van halen (good game but sales dont reflect it)
>gh80s - ....
>gh smash hits - i can't even buy all these fucking games not even DMC has this many games out (at the time)
>gh5 - uh ......

by this time, the community is running on life support and barely exists

>gh WoR - this should have been released right after GH3

they should have banked on selling to elitists like me, TTFAF EXPERT PRO FACE OFF OR GTFO. rock band already grabbed a hold of all the casuls. i managed to buy GH3 + GHAerosmith + Xplorer guitar for $15 on sale at gamespot just a few months ago. still have fun playing custom songs.

Not really, more along the lines of 'which of these would serve best as some form of introduction to guitar playing?'

My apologies for excessive memetics leading to an unclear question.

>'which of these would serve best as some form of introduction to guitar playing?'
Eh, none of them, really. The only thing they could possibly do for you is spur an interest in the instrument, but you won't really be developing any skills that you can transfer over to actual guitar playing besides rhythm. If you've already got dexterity from keyboarding, you've got more practical dexterity than GH or Rock Band can give you.

If you want a rhythm game that would be a serviceable introduction to guitar playing, Rocksmith would be your best bet by default, but I honestly, truly believe you'd be better off just reading tabs online. The game teaches you songs, sure, but knowing how to play songs isn't knowing how to play guitar. It's nothing more than tabs in motion. There are lots of online resources like justinguitar that can help you out with theory and applying it to guitar, and if you DO just want to learn songs, you can find tabs for almost anything under the sun on sites like Ultimate Guitar (has the most extensive library but has been dragged down in recent years by shitty business practices and poor design choices) or Songsterr (the new gold standard of tab sites).

If you want to have fun, I think Rocksmith would just end up frustrating you in the beginning, since you practically have to learn how to walk before you can actually play the game.

tl;dr If you're REALLY interested in playing guitar, just pick one up and get started using online resources. It's a slow process, so don't get discouraged early on by your progress.

Bought the first one back in 2005. 11 years later, I haven't touched a rhythm game in years. Too busy buying guitars.

How is that LPJ? I generally hate Gibson's 2x4 necks but I've been wanting to pick something up to keep in B

I play them for fun with friends and sometimes I like to try to FC really hard songs. I also play real guitar. No need to be an elitist.

shame you can't play one tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have the first three and 80s on PS2. I like rock.

i liked them until rocksmith 14 came out

Im pretty good, can fc a bunch of songs on guitar. Dont play much other rhythm games because I like the music in GH/RB more

I've played dozens of Gibsons from '80's to 90's to 2000's to newest models, and the Gibson QA is a joke and has been for decades. If you buy a Gibson, buy the EXACT ONE you play and do NOT put it back up on the wall and ask for one in a box. You want the E X A C T Gibson that you buy, because if it feels good to you, it's good for you. I've let most of my metal and speed-metal buddies play it and they find it's as smooth or smoother than their Ibanez neck. It is probably, at the moment, more versatile than my Telecaster. But once again, get the one that feels good for you- because I went and picked up a $4500 Gibson Les Paul and absolutely hated it. I had cash to buy any Les Paul I wanted that day and was feeling ballsy, but the LPJ was legitimately the best playing Les Paul in the shop.

They're fun for a quick easy party game.

I don't quite understand the backlash they received from people complaining about how they aren't as difficult as learning how to play a real guitar, because exactly 0 people thought otherwise.

They're generally fine, this despite the lack of keysounding (which honestly isn't anything most anyone cares about, which is relatively reasonable enough), but both series basically got off track by trying to go the Rocksmith route instead of the GFDM route.

GH and RB would be well served to embrace their nature as games instead of trying to make the halfassedness of their existence as instruments be not quite so halfassed. Get tighter judgment windows, more judgment categories, eliminate combo based scoring, allow better chart modifications like random and the like, allow better speed and visual range options, and so on. Do this, and watch the player base stop dwindling and maybe grow over time.

Rock Band 3 is and was the pinnacle of the genre.

Everything from the keyboard, the added harmony quartets, the pro/real Guitar mode, the pro/real keyboard mode, the functionality of using a MIDI controller to add real drum eKits and Synthesizer/Keyboards, functioning online, and customs.

Everything about it gameplay wise will never ever be topped.

>I don't quite understand the backlash they received from people complaining about how they aren't as difficult as learning how to play a real guitar, because exactly 0 people thought otherwise.
C O N T R A R I A N I S M

As a a full band experience I guess but for guitar,Guitar Hero 3 is the best.

Yeah, its what I meant. I'm talking more of functionality wise, and ways to play.

Also, thats only a matter of opinion. A harder chart doesn't necessarily translate to more fun or a better experience.
GH3 charted many keyboard parts on guitar, even at times when there was a guitar playing.

Rigidity is exactly what you need to develop once you're learning honestly, everything should be rigid and mostly correct before you loosen up a bit and are able to make it perfect.

It's a good tool for someone who's learned a little bit about guitar and is looking to pick up some songs or have a more direct motivation to learn each day, but I wouldn't recommend it as the main way they learn guitar, there's way better resources online. Just chuck it in on top of your actual practice.

Oh, and rocksmith is really fucking great for trying out covers of songs, even if they aren't in the actual game, because you can exactly copy the bands tone, or edit it to get a better sound, with a backing band included.

It's good for jamming and practicing licks if you don't have someone around you or access to easy backing tracks, too.

But like the longer post said earlier, it shouldn't be your main resource for learning guitar, pick it up once you've got some basic ability and just want to have fun.