When is a game "too short" and when is a game "too long"?

When is a game "too short" and when is a game "too long"?

The absolute minimum should be 15 hours for a 60 dollar game.

A game is too long when, while your playing it, you start to notice how long and drawn out aspects of the game are and how poorly designed others are instead of enjoying the game.

6-12 hours is perfect, something that can be played in 1-2 sittings if it's good enough to warrant

Depends on the genre, whether it has multiplayer or not, and how much I spent on it.
Generally I like to at least get 1 hour per dollar, but I think the extremes where people spend thousands of hours on the same game are kind of unhealthy and can't possibly warrant such time when you could play so many other things in that period of time.

I'd say somewhere around this mark

30 too short, 60+ too long

Depends if I have fun.

depends on how much i paid for it and how much replayability it has

examples

>paid 15 dollars for Binding of Isaac Rebirth
>got hundreds of hours of playtime

good

>paid 60 dollars for MGSV
>got a little over 90 hours

good

>paid 60 dollars for MGR
>8 hours to complete game
>didn't have too many reasons to play the game more than 1 other time
>DLC costs even more to add a few more hours of playtime

bad

MGR isnt a bad game, i just got less out of it then the money i paid for it compared to other games

Depends on the game. I dont want a 30 hour platformer nor do i want a 10 hour rpg. Generally, as long as i feel like i get my moneys worth, whether i play it once and its just a great experience all around, or come back to it repeatedly, i'm not bothered.

>too short
If I'm still having fun and it ends before it feels right to

>too long
If I'm not having fun anymore but I was when I started. Otherwise it's just a bad game

I don't think 4-6 hour games are worth $60, no matter how good they are. Either I wait for a big discount or the developers put some padding in to make it a satisfying and wholesome game, up to the 8-12 hour range.

If it's below 20 hours then it's too short. If a game is above 50 hours and you haven't even finished the main quest then it's too fucking long.

This. If I played a Mario game and it was over 30 hours then I would say it's probably too long but a game like Zelda can be the same length and it would be just about right for me. Other games like racing games are usually much shorter but usually have more replay value.

It depends on how they present the game. Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is only 4-6 hours long, but they tell exactly the story they want to, there's meat to it, and it's fun to play through. On the other hand, Titanfall 2 has great gameplay in its campaign, but it rushes its story. Despite being roughly 5-8 hours and the story taking place over the course of only a day or two, it ends up feeling too short because they didn't pace themselves properly. Then on top of that, these are retail games with beefy pricetags that fall under the 20-hour mark. Granted, they have Challenge or Multiplayer modes, but the campaign you can rely on always being playable is what many might consider short. There's no real hard set standard that you can set the industry on price per hour as there's more exceptions to the rule than ones that follow it. If it's cut short, it'll be noticeable. Same goes for if it drags on.

>Too short
When the gameplay is so good but the game ends without giving you all the challenges you want

>Too long
When the game isn't fun, period.

a good rpg will be 100+
a decent corridor shooter will be 15-20
a good multiplayer (if you can actually find one) game will be until you get sick of it or devs fuck it up (usually the latter)
the rare game thats short but highly replayable will be 40+

any game that's under 10 hours is a rip off

Hour per dollar ideally for me

anything over 30 hours is too long.

>"too short"

If it ends and I want to keep playing.

>"too long"

If I really want to stop playing.

40-60 Hours for an open or semi open world game if it has good replay value that could mean 200 hours of fun. Examples: Zelda OOT, Ds3, Okami, metal gear V, FF7

For plattforming games (2d and 3d) id say main story 12 hours and optional levels and collecting all boogaloos 20-40 hours. Examples: Super maro 64, Banjo kazooie, Donkey kong country

for action beat em ups or a short action singleplayer game 7-12 hours. Example: metal gear rising, devil may cry, star fox

when it comes to MMORpgs and Mobas like ASSFAGOTS, you can honestly waste like 7 years. Same applies to fighting games, but the community is a lot more fun and the gameplay is a lot more rewarding

Below 20 hours is too short.
Above 150 hours is too long.

Especially for a 60 dollars game you should make sure your game is actually worth it.