Hey guys, how was that movie that was supposed to prove that video game movies can be good...

Hey guys, how was that movie that was supposed to prove that video game movies can be good? I remember you talking about how Warcraft was such a colossal failure, that Assassins Creed was going to save the video game to movie theater. How did that go... oh.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/I1RhX9wIkWk?list=FLyDzrEMQivHnlyIbGyci46A&t=238
youtu.be/4d9AWUCpRr0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah that's what I thought.

Warcraft was fucking great

Exactly. That's my point. It got a lot of flack when it came out, and autists lauded asscreed as what would be the best vg movie and save the genre. Yeah no, fuck you.

Warcraft was decent, not good, but like 5/10

Prince of persia movie was good

>Sup Forums
>liking asscreed

Is the audience literally retarded or the critics?

If the developers are supervising the results can turn great,

>that movie that was supposed to prove that video game movies can be good
Never heard of it.

warcraft was low medicore, if you think it's anywhere near good or decent you should hang yourself.

>movie that was supposed to prove that video game movies can be good
Literally no such thing. Game movies aren't created with the intention of bringing a game to the big screen out of passion for the game. They're made so they can milk a game's popularity and sucker fanboys out of their shekels.

3edgy5me
*tips fedora*

i wanted to enjoy warcraft, but he's right, warcraft was a shitty movie. the orc scenes are fine standalone, but as an actual movie it falls apart, the humans are shit in every conceivable way, and it leaves way too much to be desired, as well as lacking exposition for normies.

i wanted to like the movie. i listen to its soundtrack and watch the orc scenes sometimes. makes me sad, but if you actually think it's good in any way other than orc dick you need to do as said and hang yourself. we were dealt a bad fucking hand. being content with that is basically mental fucking illness.

Yeah, I loved seeing guys run around an obvious green screen set with no idea what was happening

I still think the Street Fighter 2 animated movie is the best example of a feature length vidya movie out there.
youtu.be/I1RhX9wIkWk?list=FLyDzrEMQivHnlyIbGyci46A&t=238

It's surprisingly diffucult to make a video game movie without meddling from above trying to get it to pander to all audiences.

to be fair Assassins Creed was a terrible game too.

it's the epitome of berrypicker games. normies like it because it wraps them in a blanket and protects them from any possibility of failure and challenge. just run around and collect useless stuff, brah. walk through retard proof missions, brah. well done. you're such a good gamer. here are some cutscenes so you can recover from all the stressfull gaming you just did.

>and autists lauded asscreed as what would be the best vg movie and save the genre. Yeah no, fuck you.

Who the fuck even said this?

I think the only game series that could have a relatively easy, competent transition into film is probably something like Uncharted.

And even then it would still probably be panned with
>I liked it better when it was called Indiana Jones

>that Assassins Creed was going to save the video game to movie theater
These words LITERALLY have never been uttered on Sup Forums before your post, you strawman faggot. Nobody expects video movies to be good, especially ones based on absolute garbage franchises like Assassin's Creed. All you needed to do was watch the trailer and as soon as jungle beats started blaring in ye olde times, you'd know the movie was irredeemable shit.

I don't understand why games with interesting stories/lore don't get picked up for spin off movies.

As much as people hate the gameplay sometimes, Halo has lots of stories to choose from to showcase the Halo people love and the stories from the universe like Contact Harvest.

Also, who's idea was it to make a DOOM movie, a game series that rarely focuses on plot and has a character is loved BECAUSE he is mute?

Modern movie posters really are the pinnacle of creativity.

Because video game plots make retarded movies?

Video games are played for the gameplay and immersion, without that, the story doesn't hold up at all.

Like, DOOM, a guy rips and tears all the demons, and is a fucking saint for doing so, and it feels awesome because you're playing it, but if you were to write the story of doom down on paper or make it into a movie, its pretty shit.

Muh duality
I feel like trailers are worse though

>Hey guys, how was that movie that was supposed to prove that video game movies can be good?
You mean the Mortal Kombat movie?

Not to mention trailers

>fast string instruments start playing
>first shot
>line
>bwaaaa
>second shot
>line
>bwaaaa
>line
>bwaaaa
>line
>silence
>someone screams or whispers
>BWAAAAA

Absolutely loved it. But I admit that it's a mess if you don't have interest in the lore.

Those scenes where Doomhammer goes "Is this thing the one who you're going to follow?" and Medvih opening the portal to Stormwing with his last breath while tears come from his eyes.

I though that the retcons were pretty acceptable as well.

>creativity
>movie
>videogame

pick one

youtu.be/4d9AWUCpRr0

I could actually see doom working very well but I guess it'd be too expensive.

>90 min movie
>first 30-40 min to set up the world and story (demon invasion through portal yada, yada)
>they wake up doom guy
>40 min of him shredding demons to metal music
>500mil$ cgi bill
>10 min ending that hints at a sequel which will never be made because the movie will be a financial failure

>Games that cleary have about 20-60 hours of story content
>"Hey guys, let's make a movie about it! Surely nothing will go wrong if we cram it into 2 hours"

I will never understand why they don't just use vidya for TV series instead. I can kind of see from a cost angle but fuck guys, you don't cram the bible with all books into a fucking singular film. You shouldn't cram a long ass game into a singular film either.

I don't really give a fuck about sanic but the Sonic tv shows have clearly shown this model can work, even if the story isn't really a flowing narrative from the game in that case.

Now a better question would be if all of Doomguy's scenes would be shot in First Person?

That was the only really good part of the real Doom movie.

M-Monster Hunter movie will prove video game movies can be good?

Except they did a completely original story and just based it on AssCreed lore, which should have freed them up to make a great movie.

>mfw I recently watched an official trailer for a tv show that summed up the entire plot for the first 2 seasons

WHY

But they shoved abstergo into it way too much, which is admittedly a flaw the games have as well.
If the film just went
Abstergo intro -- Past -- Abstergo ending
I feel like the movie would have had the chance to be stronger. Also when making a vidya movie you have to take consideration to newcomers, but not by explaining everything in one go like the movie attempted.

It's the movie's job to make them interested in the game's world, explaining every single plot element isn't necessary as long as the world is intriguing enough for people to want to know more and look at the games.

>that disconnect with fan and movie reviews
Thank god movies are reviewed by actually competent people and not bottom-feeding barely-used-the-medium-for-5-years retards like videogames are.

Why can't we have games held to a higher standard than praising lowest common denominator marketing machine trash?

>that Assassins Creed was going to save the video game to movie theater.
Nobody thought that.

I wasn't even aware of the ass is red movie until last week when I was watching youtube on my new TV via it's built in player that doesn't block ads.

Even the trailer looked like trash.

Because people who review video games for a livings are the ones who weren't good enough to review films for a living.

But god damn, are they trying to be.

Not a movie, but Mortal Kombat Legacy is the best video game related release.

Isn't there another CGI film?

There was one before it and one coming out next year, three total.

Degeneration and Damnation were decent B movies IMO. Masterpieces compared to the trash that is the live action stuff.

All video games are fucking b-movie tier narrative that doesn't translate well to the big screen. Most of the main story is garbage and the real 'good' parts of the story are the little teaser artifact bits that you collect give you just enough information so you can form your own story 10/10 best narrative evar!
Also the Story always feels good especially after a real difficult section as the cutscene is basically the reward. This is why JRPG tards always find the most simple stories 'engaging' it's because they spent half their life grinding for the next cutscene that it must be good. Otherwise they've wasted their time

There was that low budget movie First Person Shooter. It had the guy that voiced Caleb from Blood. If you appreciate FPS and cheesy movies, it's fun.

>that Assassins Creed was going to save the video game to movie theater.
What delusional faggots are you talking about?

Good, one less movie about how everything conservative is evil and everything liberal or Marxist is good.

what are you on about you fucking autistic retard. That's literal, because if you're playing a game for the next cutscene as a "reward" then you're in the wrong medium you dumb fuck. Playing is the reward, the entire thing, not the cutscenes you goddamn autistic bastard.

>Playing is the reward, the entire thing, not the cutscenes you goddamn autistic bastard.
Most modern game devs, indie and industry, would disagree.