How do I get into this game Sup Forums? I have some time off and have heard universal acclaim for this game...

How do I get into this game Sup Forums? I have some time off and have heard universal acclaim for this game, but whenever I play it I can never get into it. The story interests me and so do the sci-fi elements.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

let go of all inhibition and just play it bro

the first level turned me off but after finishing it, the game got a lot better so only advice i have is don't quit after the first level

Keep playing until it gets good. It's normal to hate Deus Ex at first. The opening level is shit, the second level is slightly less shit.

By the time you reach Lebedev's Jet it should stop being shit and start transitioning to good, but still not great. When you reach Hong Kong, it reaches great then it's god tier from then onwards.

It's an odd game. Acquired taste really.

Thanks. Every reviews says it's the greatest video game experience ever so I felt like I was missing something, good to know it gets better.

Yeah, what this guy said. Just grit through the first level and enjoy the rest of the game.

Also, swimming and environmental resistance are pointless stats, no matter what Sup Forums will tell you.

Deus Ex basically continuously gets better as it goes along, at the cost of the opening being absolutely shit tier. Just stomach shit shitty opening levels and it will soon get good.

Go through the controls and rebind everything.

Then stop worrying about if you're doing things correctly or not. What it does is give you a tons of options to solve problems, and a ton of situations where (unlike modern games) your powers aren't immediate solutions,bit more helpers.

I disagree that it's bad before Hong Kong, that's when the story and funky starts nailing it, but level design is good before that.

Older clunky games are an acquired taste, i didn't really start enjoying Deus Ex, Doom, or Thief until I got used to it and adjusted my expectations.

A barbell is clunky but /fit/ still taught me to move it properly.

Replaying Deus ex makes it feel like JC is coming off a huge fucking bender, shows up on his first day drunk off his ass, pulls rocket launchers out of his ass to use as "lockpicks" then by the end of the game you're fucking Motoko Kusanagi jumping 50ft in the air while sniping men in black with an unaimed rifle.

" I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century"

Why do reviewers never mention the opening being terrible? Is the end game so good that by the time the review is made it's all that's remembered?

>tfw I'm a weird fucker who actually likes Liberty Island

Because it's not, you're just a level 1 scrub with no enhancements and you gotta play sneaky at first.

Yeah the first level is a bit like being a level 1 D&D character. Death comes fast if you're not careful and without proper investment into certain things you're not going to be hitting with any regularity. So you have to play over-cautiously which is not much fun.

>I disagree that it's bad before Hong Kong, that's when the story and funky starts nailing it, but level design is good before that.

Yeah but you don't have the augs to really take advantage of it. Like I said, after Lebedev's Jet the game becomes good, but not great.

By the time you reach Hong Kong is the point where you finnally have enough augs to truly take advantage of the options the level design gives you.

Reviewers? You mean fan reviews? Possibly, but most people do admit the opening is pretty shit, but after playing the rest of the game you do come off it on a high and forget the shitty opening.

Professional reviews. Most likely never played it lel, gayming "journalists" are con artist posers and probably only mention Deus Ex because it gives them "gamer cred" or some bullshit. Doubte these cunts have played half the old classics they like to namedrop all the time.

stop seeking advice from youtubers and stay away from gamefaqs. just play the damn game yourself.

all you need to know is if you think you can beat the level in a certain way, you probably can. have fun with all the skills. lastly, liberty island is a tutorial level for you to fuck around in. don't be afraid to start over and try different skills because that's exactly what liberty island is for.

It's a bad game, you just have good taste and don't want to play trash. Storyfags are delusional if they think a game with shit gameplay is good just because of muh atmosphere.

Next time, pick up the laser pointer. It gives any gun that it is compatible with 100% accuracy. And it is literally 100% accurate, as in it hits directly in the center of your crosshair every time without any waiting even if you are untrained in that weapon.

Nice bait but Deus Ex is liked because of it's gameplay. The story is interesting too but it wouldn't be held up as high as it is now if it only had story going for it.

Stick with the prod

The GEP gun is always the most silent way to eliminate Manderley

They are not pointless, they have a point.

They're not good is what you mean.

What's so bad about the first level, do you think? Is it too open for an introduction level?

point·less
ˈpoin(t)ləs/
adjective
having little or no sense, use, or purpose.

Swimming and Enviro resist see little use.

Me too my man

Pretty much. It takes a while to walk from one side of the island to the other. There's a lot of open space and not much going on

goddamn

"That might have been over the line.."
kek

Just pretend you're Jason with a gun and a badge for the first few hours.

Swimming lets you breather longer underwater and swim faster, it's not pointless. It is very useful to reach certain items.

That still falls under "little use"

From a review that I watched, aren't there re-breathers in the game? Wasting points on swimming when you can continually equip re-breathers seems pointless.

I seriously can't remember if the items you can get are useful or not

If it's not an augmentation upgrade canister or weapon mod (past MJ12 facility) then it's basically not worth having

Anyway the God Tier build is

>Also, swimming and environmental resistance are pointless stats, no matter what Sup Forums will tell you.

Don't listen to this asshole. He is trying to make your first playthrough boring. It only costs 675 points to upgrade swimming to trained and you get a whopping 1.5 times increase in swimming speed. If you do not get trained swimming, any water sections will be miserably slow and oxygen will run out very quickly. Also note that all skills are virtually useless besides advanced heavy, trained lockpicking, trained hacking, trained electronics and very arguably master rifle, so it isn't like you need to worry about wasting your points.

Environmental training is also overpowered if you are a big enough autist to do a one life only playthrough, since it gives you long-term invulnerability to ballistics.

I really want to play this game but when I try it makes me feel nauseous. It's one of only three games that I know of that seems to give me motion sickness, and I don't know why.

Sorry the God Tier build is:

Start by untraining pistols
Start the game
Upgrade pistol to trained
Upgrade computer to trained
Upgrade rifle to trained
-You should be around Hong Kong here-
Upgrade rifle to advanced
Upgrade rifle to master
Upgrade electronics to trained
Upgrade lockpicking to trained
-You should be around the freighter here-
Upgrade heavy to trained
Upgrade heavy to advanced
If you have excess skill points past here take whatever you feel like

This build allows you to kill efficiently in early game, hack any computer and then transitions towards high rifle damage in midgame and the ability to run with heavy weapons near endgame. It also allows you to pick most locks and bypass security devices with ease from midgame where the amount of picks / tools required increases.

The whole point of rushing rifle master is because not only is the sniper rifle completely fucking broken in terms of damage but also the fact it destroys turrets, security cameras and many doors in one shot. Towards the end of the game you encounter more mechs so running around with the GEP gun makes things easy.

>Human revolution with its constant fucking microstutter didn't cause motion sickness

what?

Can anyone explain the exact moment Denton decides to betray unatco? I know he reads a file in that one room that explains they are corrupt but a few hours before that Denton is pretty adamant with following his orders.I guess unnatural betrayal considering how much of a stickler he was for authority

He's loyal to his bro

I think he decides to give his brother the benefit of doubt and check out the satellite Paul sent him to. After that it all comes tumbling down.

There was originally a choice to either betray or remain loyal to UNATCO, the former was cut because of time restraints. As such, the 'choice' to betray UNATCO feels forced and arbitrary.

Liberty Island is great but is way too harsh for an opening level if it's your first time.

There aren't enough rebreathers to continually spam them(unless you max out enviromental to make them last long as fuck, which also isn't a great idea.) Just the fact you stopped and asked that question makes you smarter than the user you replied to though.

Every time there is a swimming route to an objective, you either don't need the skill, or there are far more rewarding ways to take care of business. The optional items you do need to swim longer than you can hold your breath for, always have rebreathers nearby to mitigate it enough to manage with first-aid kits(or just max regen aug in vanilla and leave it turned on. Can swim as long as you have batteries, fuck oxygen.)

You have plenty of points throughout the game. First level in swimming is enough and it's dirt cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Chop chop
youtube.com/watch?v=-cEg5Xo7VFU

You just keep playing because it continually improves the further into the game you go, especially from Hong Kong and onwards. Just get a mod that allows for 1920x1080 and a higher FOV. At first I thought it was just a meme but the people that praise the game on here are not bullshitting.

Yeah he respects him massively, but it feels out of character for JC.

I do understand that, but I figured he would continue to remain delusional. JC was defending UNATCO the whole game. I guess his love for his brother is what pushed him through it, the attempted assasination at the hotel smacks him with this decision.

This sounds incredible, he could go either way really. It felt forced because it is all documents/computer, no reflection at that point in a scene to confirm how he truly feels.

Is there any penalty to killing? So far heading to hongkong I have been 0 kills, except for 5 kills so the soldiers do not hate me for being a coward. 2 electric prods are almost always a KO at this point as limited the charger is.( riot prod usually causes me to eat a few bullets if i do stun + riot prod)

So far the difficulty has been pretty difficult, I go for stealth but I have the silencer on the sniper rifle and I could easily start killings thing than playing stealth.

I have GEP gun, ASSAULT shotgun, ASSAULT rifle, Sniper Rifle, crossbow, and stealth handgun. electric prod and riot prod. stun gernade, biocells, lockpick, mulitool. So my inventory leaves little slots left. Since I dont kill I only use GEP to break locked doors, lasers etc.I figured I should drop the stealth handgun at least.

The assault rifle allowed me to keep Anna alive because it wounded her fast enough before she could kill me, she activates her cloak and runs to the bathroom, letting you talk to Lebedev keeping him alive and Anna alive(for the killswitch scene)

Should I just start killing shit? Its less frustrating and is much easier. What should I drop from inventory? I like the Assault rifle for its speed, but the assault shotgun is powerful too.

>Is there any penalty to killing?
The only difference is at the begining when Carter issues you hardware. After that lethal/nonlethal has no practical diffference and it's left to your discretion.

No particular penalty in vanilla, no. You've got dialogue changes like the shit in hell's kitchen and after castle clinton, but that's just a flavor thing.

It's usually easier to use lethal approaches, but the downside is they're always noisy, so it's not always the best thing to do - sometimes you just don't want to bring every faggot in the area down on you. Kill when you're clear, KO when you need to keep quiet(or it's a MiB, since the assholes explode when they die and you sometimes lose items you want. Taser or poisondart those fucks whenever reasonable.)

A friend suggested I go 0 kills for those smaller scenes and difficulty (I enjoy those dialogue changes that reflect your behavior.)

I will switch it up then, kill and at discretion KO guys like MiBs. Thos fuckers are annoying, they eat 2-4 electric prods before going down

>The opening level is shit, the second level is slightly less shit.
The opening level is GOAT, but you only realize it on subsequent playthroughs.

Kentie's launcher

Turn the fov to 110

>but it feels out of character for JC.

I disagree. I'd actually say JC has very little established personality. Everything you do can be in accordance with his character, from the dialogue options to the way you handle your objectives. Even then, most of his speech seems to be quite neutral on the subject, always trying to view things from different angles, never too attached to a particular PoV. Then again, that's how I act IRL, maybe I'm projecting too much on JC.

Revision is good. Fuck you.

>Is there any penalty to killing?
People yell at you. Sam Carter might decide he doesn't like your approach and give you something other than ammo.

This only applies to the first couple of missions then there are virtually no consequences. If you kill one of the named NPCs like Sandra Renton however you won't see her later in the game so best to only kill guards.

The game is far more challenging if you stick to stealth since the riot prod and baton are basically the only ways to take down enemies without having others alerted. It's actually a little easier just to slip by them and you'll get the ridiculously overpowered cloaking augmentation soon enough.

I would tell you to go fuck yourself but it seems you are already doing it.

Cheeky. You're still a faggot, though.

I'd rather be a faggot than have shit taste like you.

Playing games that you don't like because other people like them is pretetious as fuck, and I like Deus Ex

Too bad both are the case here.

Why does everyone think the first level is bad?

You cheeky dick waffle.

It's way too long for what it is. Such a large area for what is essentialy a very short mission without much side content.

I sexually identify as a vagina pancake, you shitlord. Reported.

> Such a large area for what is essentialy a very short mission without much side content.
You're joking right? All the alternate routes have plenty of stuff.