Is Dark Souls a RPG?

Is Dark Souls a RPG?
If so, is it a JRPG or WRPG?

JRPG because the gameplay is built around grinding until you're experienced enough to know where all the good weapons are.

JRPG because it was made in Japan

This

JRPG because I have no idea what JRPG means.

Japs
Rike
Pray
Gaem

It's pretty obvious that when they playing Ultima Underworld and Wizardy when they developed King's Field. Not Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

uggh lets just say arpg

>Avatar isnt anime because it wasnt made by japs.

What a bunch of retarded faggots

It's an rpg made in japan, heavily inspired by western games. It has stuff from both worlds.

Genres doesn't exist.

It's a Japanese ARPG, it can't be a WRPG or JRPG because the gameplay is good.

it isnt an anime though

Who cares?

It's babby's first hardcore game. They think because a game requires more than a second's thought to beat it's a good game. They then become pretentious hipsters who force the franchise down everyone's throats in an attempt to seem cool or accomplished despite everyone and their normie mothers knowing that the games are decent at best, tedious at worst.

its an ARPG retards

It's a dungeon crawler with some stats

>Avatar isnt anime

Correct.

huh?

Its a metroidvania dungeon crawler action rpg

It's a good game made in the last 10 years, so it was made in Japan. Or some Slavic basement.

Japanese role-playing games are role-playing games made in Japan. Japanese role-playing games made their first appearance during the 1980s. Today, there are hundreds of Japanese-designed games as well as several translated games.

JARPG

Japanese
Action
Role
Playing
Game

>Or some Slavic basement.

here's your (You)

Its not you fucking retard. Its a cartoon.

Anime as a word has two different meaning. If you're speaking japanese to a japanese person, anime = cartoon, so there's no difference. If you're speaking about anime to a western english speaking audience anime = japanese animation, cartoon = non-japanese animation.

It's Japanese, but it's not an RPG

>a role playing game isnt a role playing game
wat

>implying it isn't a fps game

only when you use bows

>FPS game
Obviously a Tactical RTS

You guys are right. Here, lets celebrate by eating these pieces of raw fish with rice l bought locally!!

It isnt sushy because it wasnt made in glorious Nippon amarite? xddddxxdxd

Weebs BTFO the fuck out

ill give you a 2/10, one of those points is for the effort alone

captcha is sushi

retard

Its sushi because its called a loan word.

Just like how use karate or ramen or emoji or ninja or futon or etc.

Stop being retarded.

Those are some tasty burgers.

You don't like hamburger?

If you dont care user why are you here.

that article was a gold mine

Mmmm, I love RICEFISH

Jelly.
Filled.
Donuts.

I love localizations PERIOD!

>food analogy

It's not RPG, it's a game about killing monsters and exploring dungeons. In other words it's dungeon crawler with action combat.

>i died
>le hardest game ever
Also they seem to think the genre Souls games belong to is HARDCORE HARDGAME instead of action RPG. The combat is "good for an RPG" not great overall.

Don't like rpgs?
>2 hard 4 u

>any analogy
I know food is a common one, but watching Sup Forums trying to use any metaphorical analogue is like watching a toddler try and play steel battalion.

but he's got a point

You don't need to be in Belgium to make belgian fries. You don't need to be in Japan to make Japanese RPGs. And it works the other way too - not every RPG from Japan has to be JRPG.

Dark Souls is an obvious JRPG

The ONLY thing it has that would mark it as WRPG is being set in a European low fantasy setting.

The gameplay, art style, story etc. are all pretty nip

A Japanese ARPG. P easy desu

>but watching Sup Forums trying to use any metaphorical analogue is like watching a toddler try and play steel battalion.
Holy shit, you clever fuck. I almost missed that.

>this whole post

>Is the MC teenager?
no

>Is it told through visual novel?
no

>Are the basic core mechanics obscure?
yes

Its a JRPG.

>You don't need to be in Belgium to make belgian fries.
French fries would have been more applicable but I see where you're going.
That being said you can't sell champagne unless it's made from grapes sourced from Champagne in france and uses secondary fermentation for carbonation among other specific techniques.

Actually it is an anime weebs

We'll shit

It's a Dungeon Crawler.
It has a very rich and detailed story, but your character has little to do with it, he's only really a piece moving across a board. There is very little role-playing involved.

so then Buggs Bunny is an anime as well then?

Yes

Japanese ARPG, so I guess jrpg if I had to pick between those two genres

It's a psuedo-anime
But JRPG literally had the word Japanese in it so it's different

Its a JRPG with a WRPG take on it.

It's an action rpg in a Western rpg setting that was made in Japan.

this is stupid, for starters
>dungeon crawler
Dungeon Crawlers insist of a hub world that branches out into instanced dungeons that you complete, then return to the hub world. Dark souls' worlds are interconnected, there are no hubs, if you stray a few feet from any bonfire enemies will attack you.

second
>there is very little role-playing involved
Yeah except every single sub-quest line depending on you, the character's choices and decisions, not to mention building your own character to your unique liking and individual stats and abilities.

If you wanted, you can kill every single NPC in Dark Souls, or help every single one, or whatever mix you desire. And your choices change various aspect of the story. That's role-playing.

For all intents and purposes, yes.

Both 2 and 3 have a hub world, 1 as well if you consider Firelink, Burg, and the Parish to be one world.
In 2, most NPC's you find in the game will return to Majula and open up shop, or give you an item required to progress further into the game.
In 3, Firelink is disconnected from the entire world, meaning the only way to access vendors, level up, spend boss souls, or continue NPC quests is to return there after every few zones.

nice meme, op

Is Witcher PRPG then?

It's WRPG as fuck.
>real time
>non-linear
>storyline doesn't exist
>character personalities do not exist
JRPGs are just visual novels with ad hoc turn-based combat garbage.

There's no role-playing in it. If Dark Souls is an RPG so is Ocarina of Time.

/thread

>holywood movie about blue humans
>anything close to an anime

It's not a WRPG because it wasn't made in the west.

It's an heavily WRPG influenced ARPG made by a Japanese developer

West and east are relative. In fact Japan is closer to the west of America.

Would and rpg made in korea be called krpg?

>It's an ARPG made by a Japanese developer

So it's a JRPG?

Yes.

I don't see why not, if KPOP and JPOP are separate, I don't see why RPGs cant

It's a Meme RPG.

It's a Japanese ARPG. Action because it's centered primarily around reactive live-action combat, and RPG because statistical management is a primary factor in success. You can call it a JRPG because it's a Japanese-made RPG. But the moniker means factually nothing beyond location.

Even if it's inspired by Western games, it's not a Western RPG because the studio is Japanse-owned, based in Japan, and has to distribute outwardly to Western markets. Inspiration doesn't change the nationality of the product.

Hurr hurr Sushi analogy, food=/=video games.

JRPGs are made in Japan, like DaS.

Also Japan has had real time and non-linear RPGs before, quite a lot actually.

List me some KRPGs, gotta compare them to Jap RPGs and see if there's a market I've not tapped into.

No, not MMOs.

>defining genres by country

JRPG isn't a genre, though.

Agreed.
>real time
>non-linear
>storyline doesn't exist
>character personalities do not exist

Not to mention Stamina management, methodically slow large enemies, constant scouring for resources in combat zones, heavy emphasis on pre-exploration preparation, boss gear, etc. I'm glad Western games define ARPGs, despite none of them playing even remotely similar to Souls, MH, PSO, Toukiden, God Eater, Freedom Wars, Ragnarok Odyssey, or any other JRPG that plays similarly.

>that
>sushi
How about you try some real sushi some time?

The genre of Dark Souls is "Souls-Like". That's what people are calling this kind of games now.

Nioh is the Dark Souls of it's genre.

This

There is no such thing as a Western RPG, it's just an RPG.

I think only Vaati and his immediate followers use that term. Souls games are derivative of MH combat, which is derivative of PSO combat, which is derivative of King's Field combat.

Chronicles of Inotia
Itarus
Zenonia

No. People are confusing a loanword with it's original language's definition. Anime is a loanword taken from Japanese meaning Japanese animation. アニメ itself is also a loanword taken from the English word animation, and in Japanese it means animation.

>Dark souls' worlds are interconnected, there are no hubs
Goddamn you guys do not even play the games that you talk about

Witchspring.

Action RPG.

It's clearly a JRPG. High fantasy medieval themed world is always a main topic in JRPGs and this one is no different. It's also an ARPG but that's besides the point.

It's an RPG from Japan so it is a Japanese RPG
It's not an RPG from the west so it is not a Western RPG.

and geymen

If a RPG is made in china with strong wrpg influences like DS, does it get called a CRPG? Is Witcher a EERPG because it's made it's not made in the west?

Dark Souls is a WRPG, bitches. Those names are not related to the geographic origin anymore, but from it's gameplay influence.