Thoughts on Shadow Warrior 2?

Thoughts on Shadow Warrior 2?

They pulled an Edmund McMillen on the SP game.

what does that mean?

I guess the game ain't veyr popular here

A mistake, to be honest; the "procedural generation" (Which is just certain pathways in a pre-made level being blocked or open every time you play that level) makes for an annoying wander through a map that feels just familiar enough to be offputting that you can't remember routes.

The gem system was a mistake. Straight up. It's the worst parts of the borderlands random gun system. Wading through the hundreds of gems you pick up every two missions so you can find what's actually good is annoying.

The map design on the trials they just released is garbage. 99% lava, which makes it a game of hopping from platform to platform taking potshots behind you while 40+ enemies leap after you, since the platforms are too small to duck and weave and dodge enemies on.

The 100+ weapons are nice until you realize that most of them control the exact same within their type save for a unique special effect like "comes preloaded with a gem that turns it into (element) damage", and then you just toss aside your old guns for the higher tier guns you find later.

All in all a pretty poor implementation of ARPG/Loot Grindan mechanics.

Evil boobs

It showed me that reboot was just a fluke.

the hoji weapon was a nice fuckin touch
>mfw using it with rage mode caused it to act like the notsibura kage

Yeah the gems that are higher tier always give you some drawback, which end up never being used by me.

On the bright side I think it does shit all over Borderlands when it comes to gunplay and the combat, enemy variety overall. They just need to nail down itemization and think of another map system. The environments get too repetitive.

Biggest dissapointment of the year.

It's decent, but the story gets ruined by the repetitive gameplay and the annoying loot system. When you're about halfway through the game you've played every map there is and the side missions are the worst kind of filler content i've done in a long time.

>Which is just certain pathways in a pre-made level being blocked or open every time you play that level

It's actually dozens of pre-made areas jumbled together in random ways but it's just as worse since you WILL see the same shit over and over again.
Fuck, the randomization doesn't even work as explained during conventions and interviews.
They claimed that even INSIDE those areas things would change like an area having a temple in the center in one iteration and a deep mine in another.
Nothing like this ever happens in the final version.

First playthrough wasn't bad, but there's virtually no lategame. Haven't tried the latest patch, but the trials they implemented last patch were a steaming pile of ass.

And it gets even more baffling since it seems like some areas get higher priorities than others.
I've seen that "small village with a field and mill in front of it" nearly every time I've entered a Wilderness zone while the area with the multiple bridges atop of each other inside a cave appeared like only two times.

Fucking terrible.

Nothing is redeeming about this game. Not even the story which was actually pretty decent in the last game.

The worst part is that because the game did well with positive reviews, this is the future for Shadow Warrior. I can't really fathom why people like these looter shooters but I guess this series is no longer for me.

it gets really old seeing the same village vs futuristic city shit over and over and over

they needed to add some variety to the places, I don't know add a huge eastern temple, docks or whatever. The first game had this covered.

It has nothing to do with the old Shadow Warrior but I liked it a lot in its own right. The pacing was great, weapons felt good and and the weird powerups gave it a lot of variety by experimenting with builds. The UI isn't great and story pretty bad, don't play it if you can't handle that.

I dunno but the whole thing felt like as if it has "Early Access" written all over it.
Things weren't (and still aren't) properly implemented, you start out with a horrendously broken double dash and jump that has next to no restrictions and feels like you already unlocked multiple mid-game upgrades, everything feels lifeless, disconnected, not thought through or as if it did an 180° from the previous game and there are tons of quality issues everywhere.

I had some huge frame drops when slashing things up in fury mode, drops so bad it was stuck at 1fps and windows was almost telling me to close the game because it wasn't responding, it happened in Zilla's city maps most of the times.

Showing that Zilla wilderness outpost (you know, the one you visit at least three times) during early presentations was also pretty deceptive since it made you assume that the assets from the various pools would also blend into each other but that never happened, either (along with that guy in the first trailer injecting Shade into his throat and turning into a hulking monster).

Best girl.
Best weapon.

The early access part is definitely true. It feels like the devs were running out of their budget and ended up getting the game out the door for money.

Dragon mountain, your main hub area feels like it would have way more uses than just shops and challenges.

Ameonna is pretty fucking hot so you have that.
The game is boring, repetitive ad filled with sidequests that don't mean anything and thanks to the focus on loot it made me feel like I was playing Borderlands at times.

And even the shops rubbed me the wrong way due to the vendor's lack of any real flavor dialogue.
Hell, just look at Larry before the first boss fight: he's just standing in front of the door, not giving a single shit about anything despite the place just being assaulted.
Or how about when they DO play a role in a mission and call you through your mind-o-vision.
They chatter and articulate which is A-ok but often they are still easily reachable which results in them talking to you in the corner but also standing in front of you, doing nothing.

>Why do people like these loot shooters

Skinner Box effect.

Melee combat was fun but the game was clearly unfinished, overall a mediocre experience.

I mean I had my fun with it, but all I expected to find was a brainless shooter, the premise and tone of the game looked to me like that was precisely their intention, but I haven't played the first one

And it's not even really a good skinner box.
Levels mean jack shit since all you get are skill points, monsters don't get stronger unless you manually crank up the difficulty, the new orb weapon upgrade system is more or less this game's version of that shitty Badass system from Borderlands 2 (+4.5% more damage for my SMG that does 15 damage per shot? Wow, what a gamechanger), most weapon and bullet mods nerf the guns too much to be of any use and the negative effects of the top-tier gems make them pretty much useless unless you slap them into weapons that ignore them.

I can't help but feel as if it was initially a Hard:Reset sequel.

Can you try that again in people talk?