What went wrong?

what went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RralZd2HvhY
youtube.com/watch?v=xUWtSrG6xKU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nintendo forced Retro to rush it out for an early release, otherwise not much

Nothing.

Boost Ball Guardian was too difficult. Other than that, it's a perfect sequel.

Absolutely nothing.

It's the best in the trilogy senpai

It was just Metroid Prime 1 with a different coat of paint and with less memorable music.

Doesn't make it bad by any means, but it didn't have any of the "wow" factor that the first one had. Trudging back and forth between light and dark portals, on top of constantly having to switch weapons made some the the exploration a bit more of a slog than was probably necessary. It definitely needed some streamlining.

Navigating Dark Aether before you get the Dark Suit.

Early parts of the game but when you get the upgraded suit it becomes fun.

Boost guardian
The keys at the end
Aside from that it's a great game

Only issue i have with it was the key collecting at the end. I wouldnt mind a windwaker hd style change where they made different ways to get some of them. But its not too big an issue.
>boost guardian is difficult
Uh what?

fpbp

Beam ammo and nothing else.

Nothing at all, it's the peak of Metroid. Casuals dislike it because of its difficulty though.

>Nothing at all, it's the peak of Metroid.
That's not Super, it's not even Prime

The beam ammo system wasn't awful, but it was sort of annoying.

The dark world was mostly lame.

Way too difficult, and I'm not even a casual

The Metroid Prime games progressively went into more conventional sci-fi shooter territory (in gameplay and narrative), trading off the atmosphere and exploration of the original. The first has a sense of wonder that the sequels never quite pull off.

Also the key hunt, not that the artifacts from the first game were the high point.

Absolutely nothing, it was the best Prime game and therefore best Metroid game ever.

Rushed development lead to them reusing enemy models from the first game and not really balancing the boss fights. It's also possible that the dark aether segments could have been made more interesting with a longer development time. The game still turned out okay though.

They forgot to make it fun and interesting like the first one

The Sanctuary Fortress had more wow factor than the first game.

Nothing at all

Best guns in all of Metroid, best suits, best worlds, best music

It is the best Metroid game.

>best worlds
That's not Fusion

gross

no extra weapons that didnt use ammo was my biggest gripe

>we want the halo audience ~ Miyamoto

this

Shitty backtracking. Metroid Prime 1 was better designed because you could find everything bit by bit throughout the game if you were thorough. In Prime 2, you had invisible walls or plain old spawn triggers preventing you from getting critical items until way late in the game. If you tried to be thorough and explore as soon as you got a new item, you got cockblocked by dead ends with Flying Ing Caches or impregnable dark water.

Also best weapon : Sonic Boom. It's pure orgasm against the shriekbats.

Fucking Prime 1 normies never cared about this game because Half Life 2 came literally the same week.

the first game was pretty mutch lava-level, desert-level, forest-level, and water-level. the locations in echoes were mutch more intresting.

>mutch

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The only good location is sanctuary fortress

I remember not liking having to go into the dark world because some keys or whatever you had to collect was extremely tedious to find compared to the artifacts in MP1.

I will say though that place that looks like a rainy city is probably my favorite level of all time. It was really sexy, any anons know what I'm talking about?

The only interesting area is Sanctuary Fortress.
Temple Grounds and Agon Wastes are bland as hell and Torvus was alright.

Sanctuary fortress

As opposed to desert level, desert level, swamp level, and the one cool techno castle area.

Whoever decided half the game should take place in "wastes" and "bog" should've been fired.

Anyone have any webms or pic of it, really beautiful.

Forgot pic

>Rainy city

Torvus bog.

if you pay attention to detail, and Metroid games offer plenty, you'd see that no area in either game is generic.

Fuuuuck, was that actually a city or what? I remember there was a save point overlooking the entire thing and it was great.

>have to wander through a water filled area
>shitty as hell to move around
>at the very end you get the gravity booster
>it's used all of twice after you get it and never again

Also having to switch between Light/Dark ammo constantly just to refill the other one's ammo was tedious as shit

I think it was but you didn't go to it you just to the fortress up in the mountains.

>you are unable to collect majority of collectibles when you first get close to them, tons of backtracking
>artifact hunt drags down the endgame because of above
>dark world is a interesting idea but pain to traverse
>bog and desert areas are boring
>ammo system with beams

It's still a good game, but it just feels tedious when compared to og Prime. Interestingly, never found it that much more difficult than the first one even though many say so.

>implying I betrayed my wondrous Game Cube
>implying I betrayed my beloved Samus
>implying I couldn't manage my time well enough to fit in both Echoes and VTM:B
In retrospect, 2004 really was one of the last decent years of vidya.

Weapons were bad, not as interesting or fun as Prime.

Music wasn't as good.

Boss fights, minus Quadraxis, weren't as good.

Metroid Prime > Emperor Ing > Aurora Unit

>yfw you found out you can fire charged shot when your out of dark/light beam ammo

>you are unable to collect majority of collectibles when you first get close to them, tons of backtracking
Name one Metroid game that doesnt do this

Ammo system was a bit ill-advised, actually really cool, but tedious at first.
A bigger emphasis on story and exposition paved the way for Prime 3 and Other M to fuck the series over with long cutscenes filled with tripe.
Bifurcating the worlds and even further isolating them from the interconnected world paved the way for Prime 3 to just phase out the interconnected world entirely.
Other than that, a pretty good game on its own.

torvus bog is better than any area in prime 1

Super Metroid.

Prime and Super

You already know the answer.

>Weapons were bad, not as interesting or fun as Prime.

You can create a black hole, it's automatically better than Prime.

I thought chykkya was a cool boss fight
youtube.com/watch?v=RralZd2HvhY

Not as good as shooting a ball of absolute zero that freezes everything in the room, or the Ghost Buster Beam.

>>you are unable to collect majority of collectibles when you first get close to them, tons of backtracking

what

The wavebuster is impractical because of the ammo consumption. Don't even start with the Flamethrower.

They should have allowed you to find sky temple keys as you played through the rest of the game.

All do it, but none to the degree that Prime 2 does. Honestly, it's still not a problem barring the artifacts, because having to collect them all in one go is goddamn anti-fun.

>Boss fights, minus Quadraxis, weren't as good.

now you're just being silly

>what is Sky Temple Key hunt

>get a Gamecube and later PS2 in 2004
>think 2004 was awesome at the time, figure it was because of that and being 10
>later realize 2004 of YOTYAY

To be fair, 2011 was actually pretty OK, and while it ushered in a lot of shit 2007 was pretty great in itself.

alright now how does that translate into "majority of collectables"

Yup, should have phrased that "majority of mandatory collectibles".

Wasn't quite as colourful, lacked the true sense of isolation and adventure of the first, music wasn't qiute as good, dark world was an interesting concept but was a bit tedious. 8.5/10 compared to Prime's 10/10.

Also, as other anons have said, the invisible walls and stuff being locked away means it's way less fun to sequence break.

My main issue compared to Prime 1 is aesthetics
In Prime 1 the areas were more varied, albeit not incredibly unique (ice world, fire world, desert world etc), but there was a great range of settings
In Prime 2 its: brown desert, dark version of desert, dark green swamp, dark version of swamp, grey metal industrial place, dark version of industrial place

Now, that may all be intentional given the subject of the game, but from a personal standpoint I like my environments to be colorful and varied, and when I think of Prime 2, I think ugly environments

>Also, as other anons have said, the invisible walls and stuff being locked away means it's way less fun to sequence break.
Item Loss Skip makes for a pretty interesting run, though. There are still plenty of tricks you can do, they just aren't as organic as Prime's.
But then again, Prime's tricks aren't as organic as Super's.

To elaborate further, wouldn't it have been awesome if there was some lush jungle area full of life, that was then contrasted with a stark dark world counterpart?
Maybe that kind of area wouldn't make sense on a ravaged world, but as it stands, when you have a dark version of an area that's ALREADY bleak and depressing, there's just no sense of variety

Ammo limit

Who the fuck thought that's a good idea

Aether was dying, hence the reason why it was decaying and looking dull

Whoever it was deserves a medal

I feel the aesthetics in prime 2 are better because of that

Aether feels like a coherent world whereas in prime 1 you go between freezing tundra and flaming lava in a single transition. I know it makes sense geographically because you're going underground, but it's still jarring

>wouldn't it have been awesome if there was some lush jungle area full of life, that was then contrasted with a stark dark world counterpart?

hilariously this is what agon wastes was before getting fucked by the leviathan seed

>It was shit on purpose!
Not an excuse

>Beam-missile combos
>Quadraxis
>Dark suit
>Lore

A few of the things it did right.

Fuck you I liked to shoot my beams when walking I couldn't do that in 2 cause there's a fucking cap.

just don't shoot your light or dark beams then.

>
Aether feels like a coherent world whereas in prime 1 you go between freezing tundra and flaming lava in a single transition. I know it makes sense geographically because you're going underground, but it's still jarring
I disagree. In Prime 2 you can go from a swamp to a desert in a single elevator transition. At least Prime tries to have some gradation, for example with steaming caverns before you enter the lava zone.

>run-down and decaying aesthetic is objectively shit!
Stop thinking your opinions are objective.

I understand that, I'm just explaining why design choices they made related to the story hampered the overall aesthetic of the game in a harmful way
What if they had set the game at a time where Aether hadn't completely fallen apart yet, and was still in the process of being corrupted
There could still be some areas full of life remaining, and it might make sense that the most lush areas would be those surrounding the light that you're trying to recover

Nothing, its the best Prime game.

Nothing? It's a near perfect game.

Someone smart, because otherwise the power beam would have no use outside of Super Missile usage once you got another beam.

Though that leads to the issue of Super Missiles generally being more useful than anything else

That's exactly the look Prime went for in Chozo Ruins numbskull.

Yeah, in the end it's just my personal preference
Some people prefer Prime 2 for it's darker atmosphere, but for me that's the main thing that sets it below Prime 1

But I like to use the annihilator beam

Backtracking to Seeker Missile and Power Bomb

Beam ammo
Annihilator Beam being shit
Edge Dark Suit > Ugly Light Suit

>tfw no widescreen HUD patch for Prime2

>Annihilator Beam being shit
you're joking right? It reks everything and fires nearly as fast as the power beam

the ammo limit is implemented very well

you never run out of it in regular battles but you have to strategize in boss fights rather than lolplasmabeam

swamp to a desert (not even a desert really) isn't as jarring anyway, especially if you consider agon was a lush field prior to dark aether

Endgame item collectathon was handled a lot worse than in the other two games.

youtube.com/watch?v=xUWtSrG6xKU
muh dik

that one is so fast and ammo-consumming that you should only use it to shoot Crystals/Beacons, which supercharges them and kill the Ings, as a last resort or for Emperor fight. Otherwise the Light/Dark beams are more powerful against the enemies they were designed for.

By the time you're done with Quadraxis, ammo shouldn't be a concern with regular enemies. Especially not with the abundance of ammo pickups.

>Less memorable music
Dark Samus theme is one of the most memorable in the series.

>More conventional sc-fi shooter territory.

stop treating the classic 2-d troids as having some special atmosphere that prime didn't have.

Go and watch alien, that's literally it, it was japs ripping off alien and playing 80's music to it.

What retro attempted to do is expand the universe and it worked.

you're supposed to use it for the dark samus fight, I think the weapon was balanced around that battle specifically

>Edge Dark Suit > Ugly Light Suit
Woah there, the light suit is fucking sexy
And the Dark Suit is just a shittier Phazon Suit

>tfw never realized how giant that boss actually was