Do graphics in any way effect gameplay? The only aspect I can think of is draw distance, any other examples?

Do graphics in any way effect gameplay? The only aspect I can think of is draw distance, any other examples?

The inconsistency of resource demand among assets can adversely affect gameplay.

A notable example is TF2's 1,000+ hats making the game run like shit on computers it used to easily run on.

Never heard that before, you run a toaster?

Old games like silent hill come to mind.

Affect

Hell yeah they do. For example in a fast paced shooter the last thing you'd want is for the game to be muddy and hard to make out the enemy.
Take Titanfall 2 for example. Imagine if it had nothing but grey and brown environments that looked like someone smeared vaseline on it, it would lead to an entirely different style of playing it.

But generally I think artstyle is so much more important than graphical fidelity.

They affect the tone of the game you're playing, for sure.

For example: I'm playing Astroneer right now and the actual activities I'm performing are fairly mundane, but the graphics are cutesy enough that I don't mind as much as I would otherwise.

No, it's effect.

Become a game tester and start playing games while they're in grey box. They're a lot less fun and interesting than the final versions.

>tone
but that not really a mechanics of game play, its very dependent on the play

On another note, is astroneer any good? Early access is a redflag to me

Number of enemies you fight can pretty much make the diffierence in gameplay
The physics engine can also determine the gameplay (dark messiah)
Lightning can also affect gameplay in the form of dark rooms needing illumination and such

What Im surprised is why don't more developers make use of more enemies on screen.

Not in this context dumbass. Effect is a noun, affect is the verb form.

The effect of your failure to understand basic English is that I think you're a dumbass or ESL. You are affecting the board by making it somehow even shittier with your failure to communicate.

You are welcome for this important lesson.

Most game engines aren't designed to deal with a large amount of enemies. You start spawning enemies and the framerates drop quickly around 50-100 instances. The rendering actually isn't that taxing (b/c of LODs) but you need a custom physics solution for dealing with more than a couple dozen enemies at once.

At least that is my experience in Unity/UE4/Gamebyro

Can you just cheat and make them low res/poly so it's easier to process?

Rendering isn't the problem usually. It's cpu heavy physics calculations.

Hardware limitations can cause you to get stuck in pop-ins

anisotropic filtering and draw distance

a boss battle against a sphere is not as exciting as against a huge monster

you're are a retart, kys yourself

If graphics didn't affect gameplay you could remove them completely and the game would play the same