Thoughts? Memories? Regrets?

Thoughts? Memories? Regrets?

Has anyone here on Sup Forums ever posted their own game review on Gamefaqs?

obsolete

I remember mods whiteknighting for females or anyone with a girlish username. That was years ago, it's probably even worse now.

Very circle jerky from what I remember. People would literally make threads just to call out their e-friends.

Mainly hung out in the Team Fortress 2 and fire emblem boards.

They had some great walkthroughs which helped my pre-teen ass make it through games above my intellect. People spent a lot of fucking time writing those text walkthroughs.

Shame video walkthroughs have taken over nowadays.

I like to go to one with a table of contents while playing a game to gage how far along into the game I am.

My one and only source of knowing what games are going to come out without previously knowing about it. Less cancerous than IGN and Neogaf but board are still bad

Chuckyhacks trolling

Yes

How so?

True. That and insane moderation made most boards awful.

>Very circle jerky from what I remember. People would literally make threads just to call out their e-friends
it hasn't changed. I liked how some of the sports boars are faintly similar to peak Sup Forums, but gamefaqs might as well be reddit-lite at this point

Why read a walkthrought when you can watch one on NormTube?

Because it's easier to get to the one specific issue you're having without spoiling too much.

Looking back it must pretty crazy that people literally wrote pages FOR FREE so that others can see it. Not to mention all the proofreading, table of contents, credits and etc. That they had to go though.

Now it's just a quick press of a button to record and upload.

I still always use text walkthroughs if there is one.
It's much easier to find what you're looking for in them, but at the same time they don't take away the sense of discovery like video walkthroughs

Well I'm sure they had fun writing about something they enjoyed. That and they sometimes had donation links.

>open walkthrough
>ctrl+f the specific thing you want
vs
>go to playlist
>read descriptions of videos
>if the videos even are labeled better than part 1,2,3
>guess how far into the gameplay to watch

Also a table of contents.
Also info written out that wouldn't be seen in a video like stats for monsters and item drop percents.

It's sorta sad, too. They wrote so much for free, helping literal strangers they'll never know much less recognise their face, and in the end no one will remember their names. Hell, not even their usernames.

One day, Gamefaqs will shut down and all that knowledge will be for naught. I wonder how many people have died after posting their walkthroughs.

That's putting it lightly. Each video is like ~10 minutes long so you have to start guess which of the 50+ videos is the one you're looking for

Oh I'm sure they did. Not too mention most games actually had secrets and tips you could write about back then.

I did like when they put effort in their ASCII art.

some walkthrough for ghost trick fucking spoiled the game for me in the fucking intro

To this day I still don't get why a website about walkthroughs wouldn't allow pics

>reading a walkthrough

come on man

More tolerable than neogaf now.

i blog posted on the animal crossing social board for a good while in middle school. was pretty weird

nice blog post faggot

nice job bumping a shit blog thread idiot

shitty guides nowadays

>Hell, not even their usernames.

I remember A l e x for helping me out with tons of RPGs and StarFighters76 for all the maps of various games.

>Stuck on game
>Look for a video game guide
>HEY GUYS WELCOME TO MY NEW VIDEOS THIS IS _______ COMING RIGHT AT YOU WITH MY NEWEST VIDEO
>FIRST OF ALL LET ME SAY THAT IF YOU ENJOY MY VIDEOS AND HAVEN'T ALREADY THEN YOU SHOULD HIT THAT SUBSCRIBE BUTTON
>BLAH BLAH BLAH

I only remember that Veghester guy being on the forum of every single game I looked up, always spouting the same retarded tactic for each game whether it was relevant to the discussion or not. To this day I still wonder if he was a troll or just really autistic.

gamefaqs is still relevant for old game guides which are more preferable and concise compared to youtube """""walkthroughs"""""

Still useful. Better to download a 10kb text file than to spend hours looking at wikis and watching youtube videos creating your own what do text file.

I wonder if A l e x a turbo-autist, had an army of one who relays messages to him or had game guides for every single RPGs

>Tfw discovering the autism that is the FFVII Perfect Save Guide
>Tfw there'll never be this much community and collaboration surrounding a videogame ever again

I don't know why GameFAQs gets so much shit. I thought the message boards were pretty good for game-specific discussion

>thoughts

not the worst website but the community was dumb and the mods were shit

>memories

used to print stuff out like how to unlock melee characters

>regrets

actually having posted there

still has the best guides. Video guides are rarely superior.

True, but a vague or misleading FAQ is a pretty awful experience. I really hate video walkthroughs though, would rather read what I have to do so I can still get some sense of figuring things out rather than just replicating actions.