Why do people online still act like the Wii was a failure? Of course it had a lot of shovelware...

Why do people online still act like the Wii was a failure? Of course it had a lot of shovelware, but there were so many great games that made good use of the motion controls that I don't understand why some people still hate it so much.

Other urls found in this thread:

pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/
geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/
hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/your-1st-dvd-player-vs-1st-blu-ray-player-how-much-and-when-did-you-buy.273256/
capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It was essentially a console for soccer moms at its purest forms. Only first party titles sold well and other "great" third party titles sold like shit.

I only like SMG 1 and 2

I only use my Wii for playing GCN games through component.

The motion controls were shit and hdtvs were already common. It looked awful and played worse.

pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/

Third party games did poorly because they didn't even try. This isn't really disputable.

Meanwhile the big Nintendo games went on to sell millions of copies.

It was great desu, much better than the Wii U. I even enjoyed Brawl even though tons of people thought it was trash, probably because I didn't play it competitively.

Plus it became a God-tier console after you hacked it, being able to play any NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Gamecube etc. game was glorious.

Might even dust mine down to play Wario Ware or Punch Out again.

The Wii fluke mostly happened in America. Burgers were going nuts about it, because of Big Bang Theory.
In other regions PlayStation and partly Xbox did better.

Brawl was highly hated because of bad frame rate and awful matchmaking connection that couldn't be patched because of nintendo's shit online. Other than that, i remember everyone being so hyped because of snake and sonic

>Third party games did poorly because they didn't even try.

Shut the fuck off nintendrone cucksucking faggot, the only 3rd party games that sold gangbusters were soccer mom and teenager grils games like Just Dance and EA Active.

When some developer tried something creative with the Wii Remote for the 'core' gamers, the games under-perfomed sales-wise.

It had an asston of good first paraty gmaaes

>No More Heroes underperforemd

Kek. It did so well it got a sequel. And when they tried porting the game to PS3 to account for the 'hardcore' audience... that version bombed.

probably because the game was shit desu

"Gamers" were biased against the console. The didn't want to like motion controls.

Nobody acts like the Wii was a failure. The Wii U, however, gets laughed at as the failure it was. Just like the 'switch' will be.

There were a few games I liked for the Wii, but I simply don't ever want to replay them because I don't want to have to bother with its terrible, terrible controllers ever again. I've never felt that way about games on any other console.

It started Nintendo on a trend of gimmicks and underpowered hardware. This wouldn't be an issue if your competitors had largely similar hardware that made porting games easier. So as a result when devs wanted to make a multiplat game they would need to incorporate the wagglan and strip features that are in the other versions. So third parties all but stopped after a few years and Nintendo missed out the big bucks generated by Call of Duty, Red Dead, GTA, Assassin's Creed, and others.

When the Wii U hit it was basically more of the same. The two big games I remember being hyped were Arkham City and Human Revolution Director's Cut, both ports from the last gen. Switch is looking to be more of the same: Shitty online, gimped hardware, bullshit gimmick. And they wonder why 3rd parties don't care

Dude, Brawl was shit even as a casual player. The only way I can see someone enjoying Brawl is if they were too young to play Melee and Smash 64 and actually get a feel for the games and frame rate before they played Brawl.

No they didn't 3rd parties were fucking stupid and wanted their games to sell the equivalent of Wii Sports and Mario Kart, when they didn't they made up excuses that they "underperfomred" you fucking retard. Stop trying to re-write history.

Software attachment rate was awful due to all the non gamers who impulse bought them for Wii Fit and maybe the casual game of the month.

There were some pretty good games but they didn't sell as well as they could have because Nintendo focused too much on the casuals which went on to really bite them in the ass with the Wii U.

I thought the motion controls were stupid when the console was announced and I still think they're stupid today.

Post yfw you never fell for the Wii meme.

>gimped hardware

Not like 3rd parties are taking advantage of the hardware they have on Ps4 or Xbox. Everything is sub 30fps and require 10gb day 1 updates. Blaming Nintendo for having weak hardware is just an excuse they like to use.

Nintendo has shit IDE tookits and next to no dev support. It doesn't take two weeks for M$ or sony to send back a garbled engrish answer to a question you didn't en ask, they take a smaller cut and don't force you into larger orders, and everyone at NoA is a fucking asshole who only has a job because of brown-nosing and nepotism.

>Game under performed
>Gets sequel

Are you retarded?

>sony releases a weak normie-centric console which sold due to a gimmick (cheap dvd player) and was loaded with shovelware garbage
>nintendo releases a console with better hardware, no gimmick, and a lot of really great games, albeit not nearly the same volume in total library
>"LOL SONY DA BEST, MUH SALES"

>sony releases a console with better hardware, no gimmick, and no games at first but eventually a really respectable library
>nintendo releases a weak normie-centric console which sold due to a gimmick (wagglin) and was loaded with shovelware garbage
>"SALES DON'T MATTER, MUH GRAPIX, MUH MATURE HARDCORE GAMER GAMES"

BECAUSE
>shit retention rate
>weakest attachment rate out of all gen 7 consoles
>low library diversity

>sony releases a weak normie-centric console which sold due to a gimmick (cheap dvd player)
Please let this meme die. DVD players were $99 already at PS2 launch and turned into $30 grocery store takeaways with in 2002.
Nobody except kids watched DVDs on a PS2.

False you underage nigger. The ps2 released in 2000. At that time DVD players were like 500 dollars. It wasn't until two years later where they started being cheap like you talk about, and I know that because I vividly remember all the fuss about 30 dollar dvd players during black friday and how people got trampled for that shit

It wasn't? Commercially it was the ps2 of its generation

>False you underage nigger. The ps2 released in 2000. At that time DVD players were like 500 dollars.
geek.com/news/99-dvd-players-dont-exist-542902/

>don't wait for a ps2 to get dvd unless you want to just watch movies, if you use the special features it's not worth using the ps2. the ps2's dvd interface is clunky at best and contains little to no features. i shudder at the thought of trying to switch angles or some other advanced feature on my ps2 but for a straigt movie player it's fine
>(3:58pm est wed nov 15 2000)

>oritron (6:15pm est wed feb 14 2001)
>i got my dad an oritron for christmas. it was only 89 bucks at target. he hardly knows what it is, let alone how to work it. my mom just sticks the dvd in and they watch it. perfect gift for under $90.

>posts image of obscure japanese game published by a small localisation studio
>complains about sales

at least post an image that is relevant

hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/your-1st-dvd-player-vs-1st-blu-ray-player-how-much-and-when-did-you-buy.273256/

>First DVD player - Sony 530D for ~$300 from Best Buy in April 2000.

>I paid 700$CDN plus taxes (about 845$CDN in today's dollars--the Canadian dollar was significantly weaker in 2000 than it is today, so there were no sub-500$ name brand DVD players easily available in Canada at that time).

>muh anecdotal evidence

It put Nintendo on a bad path that led to the Wii U, Also a lot of core gamers felt left out due to its emphasis on more causal gameplay. I have a feeling that a lot of the people who aggressively hate Nintendo where at one point proud Gamecube owners. I can't really blame them either Nintendo has a ways to go before the can redeem themselves.

Because they are dumb, Wii was the most successful console of his generation

>It was essentially a console for soccer moms at its purest forms. Only first party titles sold well and other "great" third party titles sold like shit.

same stupid meme as "Wii was a failure lol"

You could simply say:
>I'm a stupid retarded millennial and I only care about dem graphics

Look at the attach rates of the Wii.
It is only slightly lower than the attach rates on PS3/360.

Which means either
>you are right and tons of soccer moms bought it, but the tiny minority of actual hardcore gamers bought way more games than anywhere else
or
>you are a stupid retarded piece of millennial shit and it was simply a console that sold well, with games that also sold well and it won last generation hands down

btw. the poor selling 3rd party loser games were caused by 3rd parties being dipshits.

for example Capcpom:
>release a really old port of Resident Evil 4, but with best controls ever
>sells almost the same amount as the RE4 port on PS2
>herp derp now let's create stupid rail shooters
>herp derp why did those crappy rail shooters sell so badly
>herp derp its not us that are retarded, it's soccer moms

>the Wii
>there were so many great games

Wii was a failure because Nintendo sold it at a loss and still couldn't get any foothold on the market.

The Wii had a legit library dude.
The last console with a good library.
Maybe the PS4 will redeem this generation

No good games for the shitass console, same as the WiiU and will be same as the switch.

3-4 first party games and 2-3 third party games aren't worth purchasing these consoles.

It wasn't a failure. It's just a forgotten console because of its mediocre library and it's probably not easy or cheap replacing the peripherals this late .

Neck yourself nintendrone, the Wii was hot shit and spouting buzzwords won't change that.

>The resident evil rail shooters
>crappy

No wonder sales suck when Wii owners have yourself have such fucking garbage taste

It's more like they did fuck all to advertise their games.

>No wonder sales suck when Wii owners have yourself have such fucking garbage taste

kek
first of all those are on-rails shooters. There are almost no great on-rails shooters.

House of the dead: Overkill actually was great.

The RE on rails shooters not so much.
First one was meh.
Second one fixed plenty of things that the first one did badly. And then they had the brilliant idea of shaking around the screen almost all the time. Yeah, great job, Crapcom. It's not like the goal is to actually aim.

Considering those anything but garbage tier after the greatness that was Resident Evil 4 on Wii is crazy-talk.

Crapcom should have created proper games. But nope.

Oh right and that Dead Space on rails shooter. I liked that one quite a lot. Dead Space on PS3 was a bad joke however. And they let it die thanks to terrible marketing.

>the only 3rd party games that sold gangbusters were soccer mom and teenager grils games

capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html

>Resident Evil 4 Wii edition
>Platform : Wii
>Units : 2.0 million units

>Monster Hunter Tri
>Platform : Wii
>Units : 1.9 million units

Monster Hunter 3 + RE4 now considered games for soccer moms/teenager girls according to retarded user.

Butthurted sonyggers. They still make Chad Warren and Vita threads on a daily basis.

Nah, I strongly preferred Brawl because of the story mode, plethora of new characters (aside from the omission of Mewtwo), tons of stages and music, customizable music and visuals that didn't look like total ass.

>Games that look like garbage
>PS2 was far more powerful than Wii
>japanese games

Call me when Wii got something for adult gamers like any CoD

>PS2 was far more powerful than Wii

?

>I have a feeling that a lot of the people who aggressively hate Nintendo where at one point proud Gamecube owners.

Yeah, all 13 million of them. Didn't PS2 sell more than ten times that thanks to those core gamers? Why chase a crowd that wasn't biting?

>that feel when I've found myself lately holding the Wiimote Nunchuk in my left hand rotating the analog stick while just sitting here on my computer

What's wrong with me, I don't get why I like doing this idly

I kind of understand. I'm always shuffling a deck of cards when I'm alone.

>PS2
>Core players
>The only platform with more shovelware than the Wii
>im-fucking-plying

This. Same logic went into Sqaure saying Tomb Raider flopped and Capcom saying RE6 flopped.

Oh come on. Self-proclaimed "core gamers" treat the PS2 as their fucking god. Look at all the threads proclaiming PS2 as the the "god console" and "oh it has so much variety!!1" and "how do you NOT have one?!"

Why chase a crowd of idiots that think they're too good for you but at the same time get hoodwinked with a cheap DVD player? Gaming would be great if it weren't for the gamers.

Because it completely failed at gaining new long time customers to nintendo, all of the new audience it gathered was lost immediately to tablets

The wii killed Nintendo

they can't let go of a market that doesn't exist anymore

>doesn't exist anymore

You're a fucking retard.

That doesn't look fun at all.

No, you're a fucking retard.

Never fucking speak to me ever again.

That's arguably the fault of Apple's brand power than anything Nintendo did themselves. How exactly the iPad became so attractive to casuals was beyond me considering it was just an overpriced, big iPhone.

t. shill

It had games I like. Better than the Wii U which had one game night liked.

Nintendo has always had some sort of gimmick on their console.

That's totally and objectively wrong you fucking moron, it sold several times what Sony and ms sold put together in all regions, have you got special needs or something?

I'm sure Nintendo, who spent millions on researching this data, know more than a fucking neck beard retard living in his mom's basement.

Yes, that's just how out of touch nintendo is
>You get to rent 1 NES or SNES Rom for a whole month!
Only in nintendo's mind shit like this sounds remotely attractive

Look at the Wii U

the public doesn't care.

They cared for Pokemon GO, NES classic, and Mario Run. Even the fucking 3DS was sold out after Christmas.

>Maybe the PS4 will redeem this generation
Nice one senpai

Nice outdated meme
The ps4 is getting games and there is nothing you can do about it, other than state how much you don't like how they look over and over again

The Wii gave us some of the best hidden gems.

love that game, poor THQ they were really trying to put out quality content at last but people just didn't reciprocate.

>The ps4 is getting games and there is nothing you can do about it
I can buy it if it's actually true lol