Wii U

Now that it's dead, what's the final assessment? What went well, what didn't? What did you like, what did you hate?

Pure F.U.N

the only console this gen with games

I'm playing through super mario world 3d world right now, almost finished it.
Same problem as every other nintendo game on the wiiu; they are just way too easy, and they don't have enough content.

I had a good time with this console, I made great use with the gamepad since there's only one tv in the house. Still wish Starfox Zero had an option for alternate controls and games like Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, and possibly SSB4 didn't become obsolete by ports with added content though.

From my personal experience,
Pros.
>Everything about The Wonderful 101
>Gamepad off of TV was surprisingly more useful than anticipated. It enabled me to just stay at the computer rather than move to the TV.
>First party IP games don't do anything different, but are still good enough to play.
>Being able to play Bayonetta without buying a 360 because fuck that PS3 port.
>Did I mention the Wonderful 101?

Cons.
>Needing to rebuy VC titles, even if at a discount, is Jewish as fuck
>If you're not a fan of the regular first party IPs, there's not much for you. But then, why would you buy a Nintendo console if not for their IPs?
>Small as shit memory
>As I understand it, most owners had to wait awhile before anything good came. I got mine around late 2014 so most everything was already out. This is just like every other console though to be honest.
>Some shit felt half-assed or unneeded. For example, the TV button on the gamepad that I still don't know what it does.
>While adding wii games to the VC was definitely nice, it still doesn't feel as rounded out as it could have been. Some choices were weird as shit. DS ones in particular was an odd choice and not utilized in a way I was expecting at all.

I liked the aiming with Splatoon
Mario Kart 8 was awesome aside from battle mode
bayonetta 2 was pretty good, and having a nice version of bayonetta 1 on a disc included with 2 was awesome
backward compatability with wii games and the ability to use wii controllers on wii u games was nice because most people have those controllers already

the gamepad could have been cool but it was largely underutilized
third party support dropped off way too early

>since there's only one tv in the house
>being literally 12

Came out a year too early. Would have BTFO of PS4 and Xbone by just being cheaper and having all of Nintendo's 2013 releases on or near launch.

>adults don't have families as well
I have enough money to buy a new one but there's better things I could be doing for that much.

>TV button on the gamepad that I still don't know what it does.
you can turn your tv on/off and have basic remote functions, navigating your guide
its actually kind of cool

The only reason that I would ever want a wiiu was Hyrule Warriors.

Every other game on it was not worth caring about.

>the TV button on the gamepad that I still don't know what it does.

user, it's a programmable remote, you can train the Wii U gamepad to turn on your tv for you.

I bought it at launch, and despite a slow start I now have a shitload of games for it.

Fuck anyone who shits on the Wii U, there's something for everyone on that thing

It's a small thing but the VC experience was/is fucking BASED on the gamepad

>Best library of last gen (Wii U, Xbone, PS4)
>Best controllers of last gen
>Actual backwards compatability
>can use all my wiimotes and classic controllers on it, even the Wii Fit board
>No friend codes
>Free online
>Can hook up system via HDMI AND Component/Composite to feed stereo sound to speakers
>can play games comfy on the gamepad while having sound bar on and the TV off
>Third party games are cheap as fuck
>quiet as fuck
>uses any external HDD with a Y-cable
>uses any 2.0 ethernet adapter
>Nintendo blu-ray discs have rounded edges
>best web browser
>miiverse

CONS:
-No paper manuals
-Boxes are flimsy plastic because muh environment
-base units only had 8/32GB which desu doesnt mean shit if you have an external, but I know a lot of people complained
-sometimes can't use Wii U Pro controller as player 1
-not all games let you play on the gamepad right away, sometimes you have to start it through the TV and then send the feed to the gamepad
-No third party support after 2 years (but desu most third party games this gen were just shovelware)
-No Sega, Commodore, PC-Engine, virtual console for NA
-region lock

It was a good system. RIP.

Forgot this one. MAX COMFY just landing my 300lb ass onto the couch and not having to get up for the TV remote.

>The only reason that I would ever want a wiiu was Hyrule Warriors
I've played a shit-ton of that game and enjoy it but it's definitely at the bottom-tier of Wii U exclusives, trashy af

What are some of your favorites, user?

-sometimes can't use Wii U Pro controller as player 1
While that did suck, I liked how you could have both the gamepad and a pro controller be player 1 in some games just to fuck with whoever is playing by inputting pressing buttons and moving the dpad at random.

what are the essential wii u games

Yeah that was good for Need for Speed Most Wanted U.

>Friend is doing a race close to the finish
>Tilt stick to the left and use his turbo to smash him into a wall
Fucken lel.

Also we were doing some Black Ops 2 online today. He had the Wii U Pro & TV and I had the Wiimote+ Gold Classic Controller Pro and using the gamepad as my screen.

>because fuck that PS3 port.
what's wrong with it?
you know you can install the game files from the main menu to lower loading times right?

You should try co-op Zelda. One player is in charge of the movement and the other is in charge of the buttons.

>price never drops before switch release

is it better to get it now before the potential price hike?

is this post ironic? It was literally the only console with absolutely ZERO games aside from xenoblade

Wat. You mean Starfox Zero? Starfox Zero co-op was fucking sweet.

>doing the first level alt boss
>rush in with dual lasers blasting away at the weak points
>take it down faster than in single player

It's already mostly sold out in stores, my guy. Your best bet if you cant find one in stores is to get it refurbed from Nintendo for $200. They're practically brand new systems with a 12 month warranty just in case.

If you have shit taste and only like weeb/loli games I 100% understand this.

Splatoon
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario Maker
Super Mario 3D World
Affordable Space Adventures
NES Remix 1 & 2
Game & Wario
The Art of Balance
Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World
Star Fox Guard
Star Fox Zero
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
Severed
Pushmo World

it has 100s of levels and the final 3 worlds are really hard, how entitled are you

No, I mean a Zelda game. It works better with the VC games. Works in NES Remix too, but the timers can make it more hectic.

Doesn't help the frames that's for damn sure.
I know the Wii U version isn't perfect or as good as the 360, but it sure as hell is better than the ps3 version.

Oh that sounds fun. Maybe a Super Mario Bros run where somebody controls movement and someone controls the jump button.

>Wii U
>Not CEMU

The WiiU overall was..."OK". The hardware for what it was middling, However its potential to be anything more than just "OK" was squandered by Nintendo trying too hard to pander to the widest potential audience with their IP's while pushing games that focus on gimmicks. They tried to play too safe and the games reflected this, overall providing a very sterile and boring experience for anyone whose adolescence platforms werent the DS and Wii.

While some of the games were pretty well made, it does nothing to expand the Nintendo ideal with how they used to push genres forward. It only did the same thing as before that we've all seen before. It's just more of the same, but maybe a bit more boring. I feel no incentive to actually replay the games that I completed on it because they're just so...meh. They do nothing new, fun, or unique its just "wow its a Nintendo game...ok good for you".

The drones in the modern fanbase would say otherwise, but I think making WiiU underpowered middle gen garbage was a huge mistake as it could have benefitted GREALY from multiplats and developers who need that extra power for their games. No I dont wanna buy a whole nother platform for those games, fuck off with that deflection you fucking corporate nutlicker.

Their spoken and marketed goal was to cater to "the core", but I can say as being their original audience and core I never felt more abandoned as a demographic with a console (until the switch reveal).