Is there a single other franchise out there that perfectly captures European medieval fantasy besides The Witcher...

Is there a single other franchise out there that perfectly captures European medieval fantasy besides The Witcher series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VNPTKYbIJ6E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is there a single other franchise out there that perfectly captures Eastern European medieval fantasy besides The Witcher series?
fixed.

Well that wouldn't be honest really. Witcher 3 has Skellige which is scandenavia and scottish and in Blood and Wine you have Toussaint, Italy and France. So what other game can have such a perfect world with different languages, different currency and monsters that go above and beyond "dragon".

introducing those myths and cultures in an eastern european perspective so my point still stands...

Then why is it so good? Not too boring like NuBethesda's crap and not too retarded like most Japshit.

i am no saying it is a bad thing.
it is new and fresh,
you are learn a new thing even in a minor quest.

you already know sengoku jidai better than an average japanese,
you already know all western or north european myths,

this is new and good,
i have no complains...

Gothic

No

... and then the hero pressed X to Witcher and solved the puzzle. The end.

What I like about Witcher 3 is that it's less Tolkien-esque and has more disgusting/grotesque elements. A lot of scenes in the game have a great visual intensity, it's like you can't look away from a horrible sight like a miscarriage come to life, or bloody fat witches.

>le bad combat meme
Go back to your retarded Soul shit """""franchise"""""" you faggot.

Does everyone in Europe have batman mode or just Gerald?

>Gerald

Why are you in this thread?

That's what I love about the Witcher series so much. It manages to seperate itself from Tolkien yet isn't retarded like japshit or warcraft. The enemies are all unique slavic mythos like Bruxa, katakans, griffins, chorts, hags and many more. And world building is kino with all the established kingdoms.
>Kaedwen
>Redania
>Temeria
>Aedirn
>Mahakam mountains
>Isles of Skellige
>Nilfgaard empire
I love it. Even goes into detail on how peasant villages are extreme shitholes.

Why are there so many explosive red barrels in Europe?

Because Bethesda and other fantasy games force themselves to try and copy Tolkien. What sets The Witcher apart is that most of the lore is based on European Folklore and Wives Tales. As in, there are no "we need to an orb of McGuffin to banish the Dark Lord Blah Blah". Instead, Witcher plays it like in the old superstitions where you need to do some mundane shit like sprinkle salt on the ground or prance around a black cat seven times just because.

I love it that way since I myself live in a country with highly superstitious people.

All the references to Celtic and Slavic mythos make me so hard.

Something like name dropping Ulfedinn, aka Viking werewolves, makes me so happy because aside from niche games like Mount and Blade, no other games will try to capture old European folklore.

What's funny is in Blood and wine the common superstitions said by general baldy on how to kill vampires is completely blown the fuck out by Geralt.
>"Have you tried using garlic? Or putting a stake in the heart? Or even luring him into sunlight?"
Only way to "kill" a higher vampire is to cut them up, Burn the remains and spread the ashes in a river. Should keep it "dead" for a couple centuries.

Not just European fantasy but the music is legit as fuck. I wish more fantasy games would use folk music.

youtu.be/VNPTKYbIJ6E

TW3 literally gave me a boner for slavic women.

>tfw thought European """fantasy""" was boring as fuck
>Witcher comes along and actually does it with soul

Love this shit

nice geography fail there, putz.

Yeah the usic is fucking top notch as well. My two favorite tracks will forever be the Crones and Tesham Mutna.

Wish mote medieval fantasy games do what Witcher does. No more retarded "ancient evil awaken", no more dragons up the ass. Just pure lifestyle and realistic monster slaying.

That's because most games are made my Americans/Westerners. They don't know what culture and history is.

True. Whenever the west "tries" it ends up being garbage like that Warcraft shit.

This

stop using kino like that if you have any respect for european culture

Context? What's an ape with a gun got to do with it?

inb4: warcraft is a masterpiece and not a vulgar Warhammer Fantasy ripoff.

The first Wc was supposed to be a warhammer fantasy game, but GW chickened out last minute, so Blizzard changed the names of people and places in the game and released it as a new "original" setting. Even in doing that, they managed to make the story even more generic and shitty with every iteration of the franchise, finally hitting rock bottom with wow. American devs suck even at copying settings that other people made.

kino means movie theater so when you say the world building is kino you look like a fucking retard. Which it seems you are, being a racist shit too.

Which I think that was basically a retread of a conversation he had with Regis while they were getting shitfaced on graveyard moonshine in one of the books.

But yeah the Witcher universe was great. It was fun to walk into rotting battlefields and see bodies swinging on tree-limbs. You felt like this was a grubby, shitty world where bad things are happening instead of being presented with a sterilized environment all-too-common in wRPGs. And there wasn't any mandatory diversity which SJW reeeee'd at when it came out.

Kino means cinema you fucking retard

t. actual eastern european

How dare you? Don't you know about the ancient times like 200 years ago when Abraham Washington built America? Americans are historic as fuck.

Why would you come to a website known for calling people niggers and faggots just to complain? You might as well get mad over the anime posters too while you're at it or grow up and ignore it. You Candy Ass Roody Poo.

Yea you guys are right about the authenticity of the series. What you guys are talking about is essentially the difference between high and low fantasy, except in The Witcher's case it has the added advantage of having a rich reservoir of pre-existing fairytales and other assorted cultural references or tropes to draw upon. In a sense it succeeds because it doesn't try so hard to be original, which conversely only adds to its novelty.

Touissaint is Spain too. Olives and windmills are more Spain than Italy, the architecture is a bit more italian but could work for Spain. I started Blood and Wine yesterday and I havent seen any references to italian culture but have already visited the dulcinea windmills (spanish, don quixote reference)

>look at me, I'm not a newfag I swear! I even remember moot's epic word filters xD

Well can we all agree Toussaint is just an embodiment of southern Europe?