Convince me why are mechs better tan tanks

Convince me why are mechs better tan tanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8BTEjekUlpI
youtube.com/watch?v=OC2lsZU_Y4A
youtu.be/jWXPIfSI6ZE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ur mum is hot op

They aren't. Wheels are much more practical than legs.

tanks stand no chance against Kaiju

They are not, they offer some advantages that a tank could not, like moving heavy shit.

Planes are the superior war vessel anyway

Whiteuu pigguuuu ^____^

Mechs are only good if they have the same range of motion and speed that humans have, clunky/slow mechs suck

They can do people things.

This. Titanfall Mechs are perfect exemple

youtu.be/8BTEjekUlpI
>a mech is you... times a thousand. Tall as a mountain, with a beating heart that burns as bright as the sun.

When mechs can be mobile as humans without sacrificing too much armor they will be better

I like mechs because they look cooler imo.
Tanks are too realistic and close to cars.
I like some realistic mecha too though (or at least mecha that pretend to have a realistic aesthetic)

this. Only a normie wouldnt like mechs because theyre not realistic.

mechs are a terrible solution to a problem that doesn't exist

mechs are literally the most normie of vehicles
>requires no thought or effort to appreciate
>looks innately 'cool'
>normies don't care enough about things to wonder about how it works
>looks boringly human

it takes effort to understand the beauty of a vehicle that's as functional as it is powerful

And what problem might that be?

Nothing, it doesn't exist

because /k/ proved mechs were shit like 20 times now but still weebs make threads like a cancer

the need to unify infantry, artillery and armor into 1 multi-purpose vehicle

but like I said, this is not a problem that exists because the entire concept is silly

But that's ridiculous, there are so many types that you cannot say one is better than the other. A gundam will always be stronger than a tank. /k/ is right about realistic mechs but we're talking about vidya

Disproportionate advances in weaponry.
Even if back then they invented an autonomous walking suit of plate armor, a hail of crossbow bolts can easily rekt the hunk of metal.

no see, the problem is that technology does not exist in a vacuum

yes a gundam IS superior to a modern day tank, however given access to the technology that was used to build a gundam you could build another vehicle far superior to the gundam

so the hypothetical gundam tech tank would beat the gundam

show me where OP specified vidya

this is an off topic thread disguised as something else

The gundam tech tanks in gundam are shit.

Not really, a tank would be like an amputee crawling with a gun fighting a trained adult. Gundams have a thousand times the mobility and versatility that tanks may have.

You didn't watch or know about gundam mech are you? Shit is fast, agile and mobile

And what if the Mechs weren't designed for combat?
What if they were created to aid construction/working in hazerdous places and needed a heavy construction gear, and then retrofited to battle, whether be by proper military or militias?
Not trying to be cheki just coming up with a reason for they existing in the first place

railgun equipped tank formation hull down shooting at it from miles away, next.

you don't really seem to understand this

mech shapes are terrible, the magic engines capable of making them agile could make a tank even more agile

believe it or not but it's actually easier to make the tank fly than to make the gundam fly

Construction mechs are possible, but they'd be about 3m tall max and more akin to exosuits/powerloaders
turning them into jury rigged combat machines is possible as well but they'd be an insurgency only weapon that loses every time against a dedicated combat vehicle

Mechs are better because Atlas is my mec hfu.

youtube.com/watch?v=OC2lsZU_Y4A

MW5 is shit play Living Legends and Battletech instead

i didn't know glados got a new job

youtu.be/jWXPIfSI6ZE

>mech shapes are terrible, the magic engines capable of making them agile could make a tank even more agile
How? A gundam can switch weapons at will, a tank can't. A gundam can jump around can change speed faster than a fighter jet, a tank cannot. A gundam can even hug a jet to go to space. If you add modifications to tanks so that they can do those things they stop being tanks altogether. If you give tanks the ability to jump and move like gundams it would be redundant to have treads. Guess what, by definition tanks must have treads.
The only advantage of tanks is their low profile, and gundams have aiming computers so good that they would be able to hit a tank from orbit.

saying mechs are better than tanks is like saying bows are better than guns because you could put a monomolecular supersteel tip on the arrow that could penetrate everything forever

then conveniently forget there's nothing stopping you from making a bullet out of the same material

That trailer was the original one before it got canceled and Mechwarrior Online appeared.

You didn't watch the video are you?

>A gundam can switch weapons at will, a tank can't.

If you had the ability to make a giant mechanized humanoid that has full mobility, then you could make a system to swtich weapons on a tank. Not to mention that tanks already have multiple weapons on them.

It's more like the magic being in the bowstring and saying that there's nothing stopping you from putting that bowstring on the gun, except that by that time by definition you won't have a gun anymore, at best you'll have a crossbow.
If you give tanks the ability to fly and jump, etc. they won't need treads anymore. And having hands can never be a disadvantage. Gundam magic makes tanks obsolete grandpa

Mechs are only superior in fantastical interpretations like MSG, Evangelion and TTGL.

Tanks are better.

Exactly, but in those interpretations they are incomparably better.

>comparing lol magic level robots to regular tanks
A hover tank would be better than a mech in every way.

08th MS team proves realistic setting is fantastic too

explanation why they were created in the Metal Gear series: having an all-terrain-vehicle, and a mobile nuclear-launch-pad
explanation in the Gundam-series: the need of a jack of all trades weapon-plattform, who can fight in space, and in gravity

>>requires no thought or effort to appreciate
>>looks innately 'cool'
>>normies don't care enough about things to wonder about how it works
>>looks boringly human
You really have no idea about what you're talking about.
It doesn't matter if you don't like them but you act like you understand the designs you're talking shit about.

Why would you need to do that? The entire purpose of an armored vehicle carrying a 105mm cannon is that it does what people can't.

>show me where OP specified vidya
when he chose to post a thread on Sup Forums with a Metal Gear opening image

>so the hypothetical gundam tech tank would beat the gundam
except this exists in Gundam, and it's shit

Giant robots were created because they look cool.
Tanks were created because of trenches.
If we didn't need tanks, we wouldn't make tanks.
But we'd still make cartoons about giant robots.

why not have both?

Gundams can do that already, and more because they can work with their hands. There is nothing that a tank can do that a gundam can't.

I would argue that a hover tank is not a tank anymore, especially because hovering defeats the purpose of having a low to ground profile. Regardless, that vehicle does less things than a gundam could so I don't see how it's better in any way

look at your picture
it requires zero effort to appreciate

it looks like a badass human, has a badass pose and everything, some generic fins, a sword etc
all normiebait of the highest caliber

a tank requires understanding of engineering and warfare to truly appreciate

I won't.
I seriously think soldiers would be efficient if they were tank shaped cyborg instead of meatbag or cyborg human shape.

They're cool.

>except this exists in Gundam, and it's shit
because it's not properly made even within universe
by all rights a tank made out of the same magic shit should be vastly superior

it's just the good ol "shitty writers don't understand the implications of their own setting"

>Mech charges up it's railgun which is near the top making the mech top heavy
>Fires the railgun which generates a massive backblast
>Mech falls overs
Theres a reason why sahaelanthropus crouched down and changes it's center of mass when it fires the rail gun. Rex would just fall over.

>should be vastly superior
How, nigger, how? Name one single thing a tank would do better.

When someone makes a mech they are thinking of essentially making a large person, and giving that person a gun to hold. When someone makes a tank they are thinking "Ive made this awesome gun, this gun is fucking awsome, It needs to move, It needs wheels so the gun can fucking drive around".
Do you want to drive a gun, or pilot a vehicle that simply carries a gun.

Metal Gears stick out like a sore thumb, they probably cost millions to make and go down after a couple of tank-size rounds, they'd be useless in an actual war.

Tau armies are 90% mechs with hovertanks as support.
I'm pretty sure their whole meta game in 7th was 3 riptides and a stormsurge fucking everyones day up

>Mech falls overs
Not when you have a nearly unlimited energy supply and supercomputers calibrating the engine thrust so that the pilot doesn't feel a thing

Bipedal is just bad design but this could work.

Have you ever piloted a mech? Tanks can't even hurt you, and you one shot them.

take hits
fly
shoot
evade
move faster

basically everything the mech can do the tank can do better

Rex is still stupid. Fuck liquid.

>by all rights a tank made out of the same magic shit should be vastly superior
A tank can't switch seemlessly from long-range to melee combat.

The amount of control a pilot has of a tank is worse than that of a mobile suit

3d environment (space, water, air, ect), mech > tank. Otherwise wheels are better.

>hovering defeats the purpose of having a low to ground profile
Not if the height is adjustable.

>by all rights a tank made out of the same magic shit should be vastly superior
no it wouldn't . A Gundam can fight underwater, in space and on ground.

A Gundam can climb a mountin and buildings. A Gundam can equip and carry a large array of different weapons.
I say Gundam but this is what almost any Mobile Suit in Gundam can do. They can also ford rivers and navigate forests with relative ease.

And when push comes to shove, a Gundam could just flip over the tank.

Man you're stupid, gundams can do all that already to the point where it would be physically impossible to be better. A tank wouldn't be able to top a gundam's top speed, or shoot better, or fly better, or anything. You're applying real life logic to a setting where gundams are the best weapons

War machines and machines altogether are tools made for a purpose.
Pretending some specific kind/type of machine is perfect all-round option for every need is naive at best and completely retarded at worse.
>Planes are the superior war vessel anyway
You can go and drop bombs and shoot civilians from the sky for years, but if you want to run the fucking country you just bombed into middle ages and get their oil you needs boots on the grounds.
As for the rest that usually goes like this:
>but tanks can get same mech tech glued on and that means they are forever superior
This seems like a stupid idea because what you get is some frankenstein monster playing catch up with a tool made for different purpose.
Humanoid mechs if they became viable would excel at one thing and that thing is full range of human motions basically working like power armor / exoskeleton and the versatility coming with it.

>And when push comes to shove, a Gundam could just flip over the tank.
lmao tanks btfo

>arguing sci-fi vs realism
God you are all retarded.

>melee combat
>still relevant
lol grandpa where are your meds? Yeah your time in the cavalry was amazing I know, I know...

Even if you were right, how's that a tank and not a plane?

4 legged could work. Bipedal is essentially having a man stand with his legs at his side completely straight and having him fire a rocket launcher.

>getting close to a tank as a giant hunk of metal
>flipping an anti-grav propulsioned tank

Good luck with either of those

>i'll make mech out of tank but still call it tank so i can win an internet argument

Nigger you obviously have no idea of the things gundams are capable of. I get it, mechs are better in real life, but they are utter shit in the gundam universe.

Nigga, they carry nukes. What retarded army is going to attack something carrying nukes? They're basically walking/moving stalemates.

I assume there are weapons systems that can hurt a gundam, put one of those on a tank, how is anything getting close to a tank formation?

A mech is superior if cost isnt a factor. Consider that you could build 1 mech for every 100 tanks.

Mechs are pretty cool as long as they arent in humanoid shape.
Humanoid Gundam esque shape instantly puts mechs into irredeemable shit territory.
Gurren Lagan being the only exception.

Man Pacific Rim was a dumb movie. I got it was just hype big fucking robots fighting big fucking monsters but it could have been more off the rails IMO.

Do nukes detonate that easily? I always thought there was some mechanism inside the bomb that needed to be triggered to actually set off the nuke.

They aren't. The only effective "mech" I could imagine would be power armor, basically just an electronically powered bulletproof set of armor plates moved by hydraulics that would totally protect the wearer against small arms fire and so as to let them be used as a sort of stormtrooper to raid well-defended positions that tanks can't reach or effectively clear, but again that use case is still fairly limited.

It wont matter ranged weapons always wins against melee you autistic fuck.

They aren't because Railguns exist.

Acording to GW, giant fucking mechs are 1000% better than hover tanks. Or well... was. Now it's all avengers style Ironman commander spam.

At that point the tanks would at most be equal to gundams in pure firepower, but without the versatility that having an humanoid shape has. And if you're going to call something that can fly a tank then we should be calling something that can float a tank too, and I don't see anyone calling warships tanks. So your tank would have to stay on the ground and be easily outmaneuvered.

What about tanks that transform into mechs?

They look cooler and therfore are better.
I'd rather die looking cool than practical.
Meta shitters are the worse, even in reality

A mobile armored box with a big fucking gun on top of it, using the best armor, weapon and propulsion system available in the setting/universe, you literally can't do better than this.

I dislike mechs that have all kinds of super powers or are just so damn amazing that conventional weapons barely even work on them.

Are there any games/series where mechs arent just walking power houses that can take million hits?

EDF games. Theyre tanks with utility of being able to shoot from a higher platform and carry multiple weapons, but tanks carry much heavier guns, rather than more of them.

>That battle during the Second Iraq war where fifteen M1A1 Abram Tanks destroyed 75 Iraqi tanks without a single tank being hit.

Yes

>muh humanoid robot
>cool
If you are 13 I guess.

*Blocks your path*

You can easily attach a dead man's switch to the nuke.

Can your main gun even target someone right on top of you? Can tanks swim, or fly, or go to space, or use tools? Gundams already have the best armor, the best weapons and the best propulsion, and more.