I'm not enjoying this as much as I thought I would. Is there something wrong with me? I'm going to start The Sword...

I'm not enjoying this as much as I thought I would. Is there something wrong with me? I'm going to start The Sword, I've heard it's one of the best missions but what I've played so far hasn't impressed me in the slightest thieves guild a shit
also stealth gaming thread I guess

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9v2dL-AX1Mo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You are playing the wrong one. Thi4f was made for your kind.

>le you're a cashulllll
this game is not even hard

The game is alright but the levels are enormous and trying to find your way around with the limited maps you are provided can be hell. You can get lost quite easily.

And while I love stealth games, Garrett feels almost TOO frail. If you're spotted and are engaged in melee combat you're pretty much fucked.

Still has a lot of good mechanics though. The Sword was a pretty good, imaginative level too. I stopped playing after that level though and it's probably been about a year since I've booted it up.

>And while I love stealth games, Garrett feels almost TOO frail. If you're spotted and are engaged in melee combat you're pretty much fucked.
I didn't have that problem, in fact Garrett easily outruns everyone, and when running away isn't an option, I run in circles and poke enemies bit by bit
You said it, the game is ALRIGHT, it's atmospheric, but I'm not feeling that unanymously agreed masterpiece. I'm not feeling tension in the stealth itself for the reasons aformentioned (I don't know if I'll encounter harder enemies later on), and I'm not too keen in the concept of looting.
I think Chaos Theory will remain my fav stealth game but who knows, maybe it'll grow on me

>I'm not enjoying this as much as I thought I would
Can you please elaborate? What aspects do you not enjoy?

>The game is alright but the levels are enormous and trying to find your way around with the limited maps you are provided can be hell. You can get lost quite easily.

I like this,

I sort of like the maps too, you have to think about things a bit more, or try and remember things and look for rooms that are uniquely shaped.

Also: "The Dark Mod" is alright.

>I didn't have that problem, in fact Garrett easily outruns everyone, and when running away isn't an option, I run in circles and poke enemies bit by bit
Could be. It's been some time since I've played it. I remember running from a lot of zombies.

I always end up comparing the game to Deus Ex 1, which I tend to play stealthy and is easily my favorite game. Levels are far more manageable in that game compared to Thief.

I thought it would be more focused on pure stealth, and while the stealth mechanics are great (though enemy AI is dumb as shit), the game itself is more on the exploration side, which I don't enjoy more. Stealth lacks tension (read ) imo, and I haven't enjoyed too much the spooky levels with undead enemies and monsters

Basically it's a case of wrong expectations. I always see the game hailed as the summun of stealth gaming but so far I'm feeling like I'm playing Tomb Raider.

meant to link also "which I don't enjoy as much", I can't into english it seems

>I don't know if I'll encounter harder enemies later on
If you're at The Sword then stronger enemies actually start to show up on the next level.

I can understand liking Chaos Theory more than Thief but I don't get how you could prefer CT's post-detection gameplay because getting spotted almost always means you just get shot dead on the spot.

So fucking quit and play whatever weebshit gets your dick going

Are you blackjacking the enemies? Because if you do, you're playing the game wrong. True thieves ghost.

What do Sup Forums think of the Styx games? I am hesitating.

Thief 2 is better.

Shit, I've ghosted Thief 2, and I'd never recommend doing that first time through. It'd be an exercise in resisting the urge to put a whole through your monitor, especially if you self-impose heavy save restrictions.

yeah, Fisher is clunky as hell, which makes stealth a lot more tense, I enjoy it that way more.

First Styx is good, haven't played the second one but I've seen videos and the fucking pop-culture references are heavily used and cringeworthy. Especially on the death screens.

If you didn't like the missions before Sword, Sword is probably just gonna make you really angry, and Haunted Cathedral is where you'll drop the game.

It has nothing to do with difficulty. I guess it's too much to ask for a casual to get it.

Personally I thought Thief II was the best. That's where Looking Glass hit their stride before being consumed by the bigger fish.

Unlike Thief 1 (gold), in Thief II i actually DID feel the tension of being hidden near alerted authorities, fleeing fights with my ears uncontrollably perked up in real-life, quieted my own breath in those areas where silence was needed in the game.

Of course, this was when the games were first released. I was about 17. My last play-through of Thief II was very different than in the game's youth -- the guards and mechanical enemies didn't seem so fearsome, and I played through more like a speedrun, which is a style I tend to avoid.

I dunno. For the Thief series, though, #2 is where it's at. Deadly shadows was decent, and a considerably better game graphics-wise. I agree with most people that Thi4f got the Call-of-Duty treatment that spoon-fed its content to inept gamers. Sure looks beautiful though.

Those missions were the highlights of the game for me. Excellent level design.

>Play Tenchu instead

For once the frogposter was nor dumb

cathedral level is fun

some levels are boring like the mage tower or the old citadel

There's that one fucking spooky level in every Thief game, isn't there? I'm just realizing it now after years and years

>one

You will get into it eventually. How far into the sword are you, trust me it really starts to get good once you get far enough into it.

About to finish the original Deus Ex, was going to play Thief 1/2 System Shock 2 afterwards. Just trying to go through old classic games that are constantly hailed on the internet

>The game is alright but the levels are enormous and trying to find your way around with the limited maps you are provided can be hell. You can get lost quite easily.
If you play on easy the map shows what room you're currently in. I will coincide though that some of the later levels can get a tad bit confusing the first time around but exploration is a big part of the experience.
>And while I love stealth games, Garrett feels almost TOO frail. If you're spotted and are engaged in melee combat you're pretty much fucked.
What the fuck are you talking about? It's if you're getting ganged on that shit gets dangerous, it's piss easy to deal with just one guard even if it is an archer. Learn to parry properly if you fuck up the stealth often.

Well, one that stands out as being the spookiest.
Designed for spookiness, whereas the other levels just pepper it in a bit

Stick with Thief 1 a little longer then, you'll like Hammerhaunts.

I liked it but all of the magic levels were shit.

There are a few in Thief Gold
Only a few levels with a section that's scary in Thief 2 (ex. the library in the "Casing the Joint" mission)
The Shalebridge Cradle in Deadly Shadows
And the god-awful attempt at trying to imitate the Shalebridge Cradle in Thi4f.

>How far into the sword are you,
inside the mansion, trying to make sense of it

If you're poking guards, would it be wrong of me to assume you aren't playing on the hardest difficulty mode? It doesn't exactly revolutionize the game or anything but it makes Garrett more fragile, restricts you from killing humans, and adds additional objectives which can occasionally be tedious but overall really add to the game.

obviously the guy just has a big garden!

Just stop having bad taste and you'll like it.

I'm playing on hard (tried expert for the Assassins mission, but never got to catch the loot required so I restarted it). I'm mostly using the blackjack to take out enemies

>inside the mansion, trying to make sense of it
Go up a floor
Before you leave make sure to search in the garden for building where there is a statue of a face with it's togue out and interact with it for a secret easter egg area

/thread

>play through Thief 2x fanmissions
>well that was neat. time to play it over on expert to see what extra objectives there are
>there's a total of like three or four extra objectives across the whole campaign, everything else is just 'collect more loot'
fucking missed opportunity, damn

What? Not that guy but what is in the secret area?

youtube.com/watch?v=9v2dL-AX1Mo

oh yeah I remember now

Thanks mates, thief really is one of those games where you can replay it and discover new things every time

well finished the level, feels like I left lots of stuff to uncover, maybe I'll replay it in the future

The blackjack is to Thief what the tranq pistol is to MGS and what non-lethal ammo is to Chaos Theory. Pretend it doesn't exist and suddenly the game becomes much more interesting.

The game forgets to be a stealth game more than half the time, and I fucking despise that because it only does stealth missions well.

Whay are you talking about numbnuts