Almost 15 years

>almost 15 years
>newer space games still haven't topped this and it's not even that good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LlCR0CmJ7NU
mega.nz/#!5YBjBC7Y!W8HC8kAMXfKEngsZZZ5qpBiWiXVlvhVWEtiD0uV6ja8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Let's be honest though, it is pretty good.

I'm just shocked that more space games haven't learned from Freelancer. Like, for example, make space INTERESTING. It may not be a realistic portrayal of space, but exploring nebula and wormholes was legit fun, tense, and interesting. Few things stand out to me in exploring the worlds of most games as was navigating beacon to beacon through the ice debris field to the ruined station in Liberty space.

Hell, remember how cool it was to find an unmarked wormhole?

>Let's be honest though, it is pretty good.
If you break it down though it's not though. It's so basic and there's so little content.

looks like everspace

Everspace looks like Freelancer.

I can break down any game into parts that are basic and seem to have little content. I don't find that reasoning compelling at all.

It's a pretty good game.

you told no lies, the truth fucking hurts.

But it's a big flaw with Freelancer. It's basically a ubisoft tier open world before the ubisoft tier open world.

thats every single space sim ever made. freelancer's world actually has more unique, hand-placed shit in it then pretty much any other space sim. which as OP states is sad since its not even that good

Are you telling me there's no exploratory space sim out there that at least tries to give more content?

hand-crafted content? no, freelancer literally has the best exploration for that.

the other type of exploration is space sims with procedural generation where you're in an accurate scale galaxy, but youre just going to see the same shit over and over.

To be fair, the only real attempts since have been elite dangwrous and star citizen.

Eve scratched the itch for me for quite a while though but that was more atmosphere than anything else.

>elite dangerous
>an attempt

The only 'real' attempts since? Are you serious?
>X2
>Evochron
>X3
>Starpoint Gemini
>Rebirth
>Rebel Galaxy
>Everspace
>Elite
>NMS

but is everspace good? was tempted to buy it this past sale

We don't talk about Rebirth

only good space games are homeworld and ftl

It's a roguelike, take that as you will

talk about what?

>gated content
>each sector is lacks content in the y-direction
Apart from those it was pretty fucking good and the first issue can be mostly solved by modding.
I do wish there were some variety in the universe so that each playthrough wouldn't feel like you were going through the same thing.

I dunno, shame it's been so long since an X game came out.

>>each sector is lacks content in the y-direction
Not a flaw desu

The sectors feel like flat disks after discovering this.

A little bit of variation would be okay, but it makes things feel more consistent.

>Rebel Galaxy
>no z-axis because they wanted ebin broadside battles all the time
What's the point of setting it in space then? I'd have been buttblasted if I didn't get it for free

Also don't forget Darkstar One and Tachyon: The Fringe (starring Bruce Campbell as space Bruce Campbell)

>take Black Flag
>remove everything that makes Black Flag fun
>for some reason people praised it

Also, Darkstar One is pretty terrible, even if I have a soft spot for it.

This right here. So many of these games seem to forget that the point of space games is space and instead focus on some useless other feature

What is so bad about darkstar one anyway

It's just very very very repetitive and dosn't really offer anything new. It's basically just Freelancer with less content.

It's not unplayable or anything, it's a very functional game. Just a very generic and boring one.

>Freelancer with less content
What were they thinking...

>It may not be a realistic portrayal of space, but exploring nebula and wormholes was legit fun, tense, and interesting

One of my biggest gripes with the game is only getting to explore those fantastical sectors at the end when there's nothing to really do at that point. Needed either more content to make up for it or more freedom early on.

One playable ship. Yes you can upgrade it but you'll get bored playing with it eventually

>best recent space game is infinite warfare

The best space game ever made is still X3: Albion Prelude Freelancer is still pretty good though

>any x game the best space game
No

but they have user

its called star citizen

It's probably why NMS was so hyped up. The idea of exploring beautiful alien worlds.

You do know that there is actually content in the y direction in many sectors, right?

Only in Sup Forumslancer and mods user.

I loved it as a kid and still like it to this day, but lets not kid ourselves.
We got a shadow of Freelancer hypothetical self (for good reason, due to Microsoft controlling Chris Robert's autism).

Anyone ever try Independence War 2? Got in on a recommendation a while back and its a great space sim
>atmosphere
>open world though story driven
>great flight model
>role of a pirate with home base and all
>raid convoys, have pirate buddies collect the loot and bring back to base

Not very far into the game but its damn good fun.

Got this for free at the opening of a new amazon logistic center in my country. My Pc could play it.

Because Freelancer was one of the rare examples of publisher meddling resulting in a positive outcome.

>youtube.com/watch?v=LlCR0CmJ7NU
>mfw star citizen might actually pull it off

Let's face it
If Freelancer was released today it'd get 10s across the board and be stupid popular.

Well it would be really hard to fill that much space and ultimately the experience would be more tedious.
The best aspect of exploration in this game (for me) was the feeling of finding a new secret wormhole and having this feeling of hostility and wonder. They really fucked up though, the coolest shit you could find were insanely OP guns, not much more. No lore, no special ships, no artifacts, no special planets.
Mods improve this though.

>No lore, no special ships, no artifacts, no special planets.

You could find at least two of those things. Did you never find the Outcast homeworld, the monkey planet, or the remains of the mexican sleeper ship?

It's a wonder MS haven't looked at redoing the Freelancer sequel in development for the 360 because most of the Digital Anvil team still works at MS (The director of Freelancer after Roberts stepped down works at Turn 10) and the genre is popular again.

thinking about getting avorion, any of yall play it yet?

Have to second this. The only thing Korean grindfest attempted was boredom sim. If it wasnt so boring you could actually sit for an hour to find out how boring it is instead of sliding off your chair and getting a concussion.

There keep being rumors that they want a console space sim, but who knows.

I'm for long open spaces in open world games and even Elite goes too fucking far.

The sleeper ship was the ebst part. The "special ships" looked dull though and were only good for their stats. More galaxies like that one would have been awesome though, exactly the kind of exploration I like.
Didn't find the monkey planet though, was it in one of those alien infested galaxies? I stopped looking into them, because I never found anything useful there.

It was in the two secret unknown systems yeah. You could get nomad weapons there.

umm yes sweetie

I will admit the mechanics of flying were fun. Especially viper mk3 with its throaty growl its just a shame that the everything else in korean gridfest is such shit.
I liked the sectors in freelancer. I liked the exploration. Wasnt impressed with piloting but at the time it was k.

I appreciate it a lot more after playing the wreck that is Star Citizen

>a space game with bad space
>a good space game
No

Dirty shame about star citizen. The idea of playable large ships and smaller craft hitching a ride could be fun.

I've lost interest in it now that they seem more obsessed with the planetside aspect of things. when the space aspect is still so bad.
>awful visibility
>ships control like shit and are slow in a boring way
So many little QoL things that go wrong that kill the entire experience.

I tried it on a free weekend. Couldnt figure out how to get a suit and fly. It still interests me but not in a giving them money before a completed product kind of way.

why release anything when you're coming up on 150 million dollars feeding people breadcrumbs

They release things, it's just always like they keep moving on to new features before polishing or even making sure the old ones feel fine. Still more content and things to do than ED though

What?

X games have bad exploration and each system is vaguely pointless.

>Everspace
>get Freelancer's mechanics down perfectly
>ruin it by making it a roguelike

Most mobile games have more to do than ed.

And probably cost less.

Man say what you want about Star Citizen but at least you get the full barely-a-game for like $35. ED locks its content behind stupidly pricey expansions. Fuck Frontier and fuck the Vision

Id say stop kicking korean grindfest while its down but brabo and crew deserve it. Especially the shitty forumfucks that make reddit cancer look slightly easier to cure. A forum of shitters that want the game to be more boring.

Muh vision

>Space game that doesn't allow 3D movement

You have to be a literal retard to do this.

I think they wanted it to be a pirate game but in space.

battlefleet gothic armada is fun

I want to like it. THe combat is enjoyable but there's NOTHING to do.

>enjoyable
>muh rotating

Wait do you actually control ships in that? I thought it was a strategy game.

you don't pilot them if that's what you mean

As someone new to the genre, should I play this, Rebel Galaxy or X3 Terran Conflict?

What are you looking for? Do you want to trade and build corporate empires or pew the pew?

Pew the pew and exploration.

Not him but skies of arcadia but in space.

Rebel Galaxy is closer then. X3 is about going up to the final boss, sending a boarding party to the final boss, taking over the final boss, then dragging the final boss to your headquarters and mass producing final bosses.

freelancer if u can get it

mega.nz/#!5YBjBC7Y!W8HC8kAMXfKEngsZZZ5qpBiWiXVlvhVWEtiD0uV6ja8

You're welcome

>he doesnt know how to skip the grind

>skip the grind
>stop playing

w-well one day fdev will make end game content right? right??

They'd have to make content first for that to happen

>play with some mod that turned the game into sorta mmo (including actually autistic role-playing for the empire navies playing people) with a friend
>explore a sector I recall were one of the xeno bases in vanilla while my friend were elsewhere shopping guns
>there's a sole player ship there just waiting
>hail him, he replies his "crew" is stuck and they need some items to take off
>unable to get it but he then says he can take some fictional stuff from from my ship
>sure why not, I'll just play along
>he thanks me, rewards me a couple of million credits and takes off
And that's how I jump started from a shitty beginner frigate to a decent ship within my first two hours. I wonder how long he waited just to role play.

And the robot planet too

Discovery.

>released 25 years ago
>newer games still haven't topped this

>Sup Forumslancer is dead forever and is never coming back
IT'S NOT FAIR

>the dev is making an original game instead
live works out

Anyone can host a server. When someone communicates that they are, an announcement goes out and at least a few people will hop in.

Sup Forumslancer is so old it has trollface.

It was made in 2009. It's almost ten years old.

X4 Foundations soon

>still haven't changed the fundamental issues with the games
Pass

more like X4 Testbed