Hey Sup Forums...

hey Sup Forums, I'm going to have a couple weeks inbetween jobs come the new year and I decided I'm going to get involved in a long RPG I haven't played yet. Right now I'm torn between Dragon Age Origins and Divinity OS2. What would you recommend?

for my background I haven't played a lot of cRPGs but I really enjoy The Witcher Trilogy, Gothic, KOTOR 2, and Mass Effect 1.

From what I know Dragon Age has a good story, characters, and one of the better RTWP systems out there. Divinity OS 2 has a less interesting story but good character backgrounds, less tolkeinesque fantasy tropes, and a really engaging TBS combat system.

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=435150
youtube.com/watch?v=-LGg2Z8B91w
youtube.com/watch?v=5Qwbs9OsP2M
youtube.com/watch?v=tIXUv3CREj8
youtube.com/watch?v=ke9UHp8VKcs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why not play both?

/thread

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is a solid game, maybe 8/10.

Dragon Age: Origins is one of the core classics of western RPGs though, definitely 9-10/10. If you need to choose just one, definitely DA:O.

DA:O is from the ME1 era.

Dragon Age is alot like Kotor, same sort of combat and dialog style without the light/dark morality system. It's probably right up your alley.

Your tastes indicates you'd prefer DA:O. Divinity has better core gameplay, but Dragon Age has a better story.

because I will play both eventually, just don't have time to fully get invested in both while I'm not working. Learn how to read you dumb retard. I would rather play the "better" one first and maybe play the lesser one when I'm working and won't commit too much time to it and thus can drop it if I want to.
>Dragon Age: Origins is one of the core classics of western RPGs
most of my knowledge of its reception is from its release. I remember it getting praise but people saying it didn't hold up to Baldurs Gate standards. Has time been kinder to it?

when it comes to RPGs I consider roleplaying to be just as important gameplay as the combat. So you're saying that Divinity has better combat but Dragon Age has better everything else? Story doesn't mean so much to me if I'm not affecting it through choice.

Dragon Age is far better imo

Divinity 2 is great for act 1 and most of 2, but after that its just shit

>didn't hold up to Baldur's Gate standards
Man, you need to learn to see through nostalgiafags, they always try to lead you astray. Go see DA:Origin's steam review, it has 91 points atm. You won't regret playing it if you enjoy RPGs in general.

Witcher 2, 3 and DA:O are all among my faves.

Dragon Age Origins if you want something closer to Baldur's Gate, RTwP combat and whatnot.
Original Sin 2 if you want something turn based and with focus on tactics.

thanks
this seems to be the majority opinion. do you mind going into detail as to what is so shitty about Divinity?
I already laid out that I'm aware of those two distinctions completely. I'm more interested in the general quality of either

play the one that is not SJW garbage

neither of them are as far as I know. Bioware didn't go SJW until the most ME2 and Larian doesn't seem to give a shit about politics

what about some classic rpgs like planescape or baldurs gate?

Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
Pillars of Eternity
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment

Even though I'm in my mid 20's and was introduced to 2d games, I honestly find it difficult to get fully engaged in 2d isometric RPGs. I know its pleb as fuck but I've been playing 3d games for 20 years now. I'd rather jump into a game I know I have a good chance of liking.
If I love Dragon Age maybe I will jump into BG2
Is Pillars really better than either of the games I'm thinking of playing?

Play both, faggot.

>what is so shitty about Divinity?
Act 1 and 2 are top notch, but Larian clearly ran out of time after that. It shows in everything from quests and characters to encounter design.

First DAO then Divinity.
I fucking loved DAO and right now I am playing pirated Divinity and I cant wait for a sale to buy it. This is a first time in a long fucking time I played a game whole day and then till 4 AM.

is it a similar situation to The Witcher 2 act 3? Because I found that it was just closing storylines one after the other in a small environment, and didn't necessarily expect it to be as good or fleshed out as acts 1 and 2
I think I'm going to go with this. Seems like I can't go wrong with DAO but I'm excited to play Divinity. Right now I have both downloaded from freeleech on GGN but Divinity might see a content update, expansion, or pass in the near future. Maybe I'll wait until then to play it.

>Dragon Age: Origins is one of the core classics of western RPG
what the fuck
It's not even close to a classic, it's an average rpg at best
you'd only play dragon age origins if you're really thirsting for a western rpg after playing trough all the actual classics, bg, icewind dale, neverwinter, kotor, gothic, etc.

They fixed the late game

>They fixed the late game
how/when?

>Larian doesn't seem to give a shit about politics
maybe but once you hit arx they throw shit at you like lesbians and black female captains who dont need no men

its jarring

the only way anyone would consider dragon age as above average is if it was their first RPG, and they couldn't handle playing older games.

what's your opinion on Divinity?

I am at the start of Act 4 and I think Act 3 was just as good as the two before. And Act 4 is already looking good.

>shitting on a game with te most fun henchman system (the tactics screen)
Do you want to know how I know you are an absolute pleb?

Are you not keeping up? They've been releasing constant patches for 2 months now. Just yesterday they released a big ass one: store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=435150

It's different

>It's different
ok then... how?

Original Sin II has an amazing soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=-LGg2Z8B91w

youtube.com/watch?v=5Qwbs9OsP2M

youtube.com/watch?v=tIXUv3CREj8

>is it a similar situation to The Witcher 2 act 3?
EE or vanilla? In EE, W2's act 3 has more going on in it than OS2's final act, but it's close enough, yeah.
The area right after act 2 is just dull and empty though.

well fuck me then, I guess I'll wait to download it later or for a sale. I hate having to keep up with patches when pirating.

same thing can be said about DAO

They're kinda different from each other, but both are good.

DA:O uses the "Real-time with pause" system, similar to the Baldur's Gate series. You'll need to keep on your toes and toggle/use abilites as needed, unless you play certain broken class combinations (but this only trivializes trash mob encounters). Characters will have a certain class that has set abilities with little crossover, though class kits that you earn as you level up can help differentiate them and give you different abilities.

DOS2 uses a turn-based system, which some prefer over the RTwP system. Classes aren't rigidly defined at all, and you can build characters who take utility spells from a variety of spell trees. However, you will want to focus exclusively on one source of damage (i.e. physical or magical), because CC is extremely important in the game and you can only CC enemies with magical/physical abilities if you've worn down their magic or physical armor first.

DOS2's companions gain/lose approval on dialogue options, what you say during certain events, and how you resolve certain quests. Some companions don't really care for doing the right thing, but others will push really hard for it. However, my first playthrough as a "good" character with the three companions who have the least moral scruples didn't result in a mutiny at any point in the game.

DA:O is mostly the same in this regard. However, an annoying quirk of the dialogue system in DA:O is that you'll have to sometimes choose between getting approval from a companion or more information about their past. This is mostly fixed by a free DLC that adds a lot of purchaseable gifts to raise/lower followers' approval levels.

Finally, DA:O is much cheaper and complete with a pretty good DLC/expansion campaign.

If you're hurting for funds and are certain that you liked the old CRPGs, you can't go wrong with DA:O. But D:OS2 is hardly a bad game, but pretty different gameplay-wise.

I truly don't understand what people like so much about DA:O. I played it on release after buying into the hype and liked it, but I've tried to play it since and can't help but feel like the only good thing about it was that it came out in what felt like a drought of fantasy rpgs. The setting and story are boring as fuck, none of the characters are engaging and the combat doesn't have much variety. Play the first two acts of Divinity over this generic turd any time.

Jesus fucking christ it's good
youtube.com/watch?v=ke9UHp8VKcs

>DA:O uses the "Real-time with pause" system, similar to the Baldur's Gate series
This is wrong. BG (and Kotor, and NWN) uses the shitshow that is round-based with pause combat, DAO is true real-time with pause.

>you will want to focus exclusively on one source of damage
Also wrong, you've been memed on by Sup Forums. Even split works perfectly well and is a dozen times more fun.

there's an easy guide to know if an rpg is good

>Does it have Deekin on it?
if the answer is no, avoid it

I hated DA:O but I liked D:OS2 so I'd say play the latter

Play Dragon Age once you've run out of every other western rpg possible, it's just so generic in terms of plot

Both allow you to make meaningful choices that change the story or branching dialoge. i would say DAO allows you to change and mess with the main story and moments a bit more but DOS2 facilitates a better roleplaying environment to do what ever you want through its systems. Divinity dialogue there is a lot of it but i would say its more of just more likely to miss out on some extra lore or quests than being insanely more impactful

I'd say that Divinity has more opportunities to define your character, given the backgrounds and how you interact with companions, and how you can resolve the details of the main story. You can still be unequivocally good and potentially still fight amongst your companions if you choose certain dialogue options because it makes sense for your character, but it might be tricky to justify doing so.

DA:O's RP options are mostly boiled down to whether you want to be good or evil.

DOS2 is better than DAO from almost all points of view. DOS2 core systems, gameplay and general design are much better, more in-depth and more conducive to emergent gameplay/natural interactions with the game world. DA:O is much less flexible in its general approach.

DA:O isn't bad mind you, among 'big' modern-ish RPGs I'd still say it's one of the good ones, but as far as natural RP possibility, core mechanics and character building DOS2 is just better and with more depth. In terms of main story, neither are really amazing. They're both fairly typical save the world/stop the big bad sort of deals.

DAO is one of the best western RPGs that exists. Dvinity 2 is something you safe till you have someone good to play it with.

DA:O is just a clone of Jade Empire which is a clone of KOTOR. Babby's first rpg made with every bioware cliche possible. If you miss a feeling of playing a bioware game, go for it, but otherwise you will feel like you did it all before.

D:OS2 on the other hand has interesting quests, fun characters and best turn based combat that feels like it came out from late 90s, where you can game the system leaving you with a feeling "fuck yeah I did a dumb thing and it worked like a charm". Only downside is that later chapters are a bit meh, but even first two maps are big enough to satisfy your need for a good RPG.

The correct answer is Divinity Original sin 1 Enhanced Edition.

>A girl asks you to save her wife
>You literally walk 5 meters and talk
>quest ends and the characters give you reward and fucks off
>hurr durr jarring lesbien JSW infested game
Kinda pathetic friendo

t. dice gods

There's always one nostalfiafag when this game gets brought up

Even if I prefer binary systems over RNG, the system in the first game is just more well designed than in the second, attributes are more interesting, defensive abilities don't suck, initiative actually matters etc.

That chart is kinda shit thinking about it.
>you don't hail from humble beginnings in Jade Empire and Kotor
>Bastilla is the 5th party member you recruit
>you become a proper spirit monk at the end of the game, and the order dosn't exist anymore
>Jade Empire box should be red since in the "you discover that you must travel to four main locations..." thing
>pretty sure you never actually properly dream in Jade Empire, but I'll let that one slide
>Jade Empire's ruins is only a few decades old, not ancient

I really really loved Divinity OS2.

But you cant go wrong with both of those.

>OP is in for a good time no matter what
I'm pulling for Dragon Age but it's not like you can be steered wrong here.

Dragon age origins is severely overrated. I honestly don't know why Sup Forums has a boner over it, its one of the first games made by nubioware. AKA mainstreamed shallow shit. Divinity original sin 2 is an amazing game though, and can be done coop

which is better for being a dick? not like an edgelord lawful evil, more like a "Glasses Geralt" type of character.

DA:O OP. If you keep this thread up till 7:30 EST, I'll be off work and I'll post my list of DA:O mods.

This will take the game from 7/10 to 10/10. It is the definitive, lore-friendly, combat balanced mod list.

See you soon......or will I????

that sound excellent. I've found that every major RPG I've played requires at least one or two mods to really reach their potential. Keeping a thread up for 6.5 more hours is a little intense though... mind just naming a few off the top of your head?

Divinity for sure. Bioware is known for shitty "dark side" choices.

not that guy but he's right
hell, most of the praise DA:O got was "well it has a lot of flaws but it's the closest we have got to classic neverwinter nights/baldurs gate/icewind dale/etc. in like 10 years so we'll give it the benefit of the doubt and hope this series will truly return to those glorious roots"

and then dragon age 2 happened

humor me. what makes neverwinter nights or baldurs gate 2 better than dragon age?

They're both two of my favorite WRPGs. OS2 isn't perfect though. The character buidling and abilities are way too centered around damage and the characters are worse than Dragon Age's

story, character creation/customisation/progression, combat depth, scope and atmopshere of the world

can you name a single detail for each of those? I'm just playing devils advocate here. What about the combat systems make them deeper? what about the atmosphere is better? why is the story better?

>vanilla NWN
>any of those things

Let's be honest here for a second. NWN was shit. Tons of combat, basic fetch quests, all chapters being the same "clear all four zones and move on".

>What about the combat systems make them deeper?
more options in terms of character builds, classes, abilities, party compostion, etc.
also larger party size and larger enemy size
stuff like spells or traps are more varied with more demanding and changing effect
>what about the atmosphere is better
visuals and sound are more memorable
DA:O is a pretty game, I'd say even today, but it has a fairly bland look, there's no distinct style to it
>why is the story better?
it's not stupid

I included it for completion's sake and because it was a popular game that critics at the time compared DA:O to. My favourite of the whole classic forgotten realms games is Icewind Dale.

how fucking stupid are you? you actually think there would be two dykes openly getting married in a medieval setting ? jesus christ this place is so full of cancer nowadays

it's fantasy, not medieval history. fucking christ.

It's a land of bikini armor and lizard whores, why not. Though the token gay thing was better implemented in the first game with the orc-human couple that you can screw over and get them killed.

.... are you actually this retarded or is this a false flag? i refuse to believe someone can be this mentally challenged

da:o is amazing and complete with all the dlc for cheap. even if you try dos2 first, play da:o too, its amazing.

I'll be playing both for free so cost is not an issue