Why didn't he become a household name like Mario or Sonic?

Why didn't he become a household name like Mario or Sonic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p0m4U9smFss
youtube.com/watch?v=MQGjQEqSsC8
youtube.com/watch?v=IjgNdMfg2ow
youtube.com/watch?v=jtI6BTBa8jA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

GROOVY!

third-rate platformer on a second-rate console

Too gross. Too wacky and random.

Why would he? As much as I love 1 and 2, he was never that big even with a cartoon and 3D was a flop AND shit.

The humor was a bit too dark for kids.

the games were absurdly difficult for its intended demo and also kind of bad

>gross
>random
>wacky
Unlike an italian plumber on a shitting dinosaur eating shrooms to kill turtles?

have you fucking played the games recently

present the argument of why would he first

>also kind of bad

so are most sonic games.
especially the first.

>every button is jump

fuck outta here!

EWJ holds up fine for what it is. Especially the second. (which is better)

There's no Italy in the mushroom kingdom

Style over Substance: The Game

It still had substance, but it's like 60/40.

why didn't boogerman, is the real question.

>bad
But the snes games were great

>second
>better
No man should have this much shit taste

>why didn't boogerman, is the real question.
The premise ran out too quickly

>take a fart on somebody
>take a burp on somebody
>take a booger on somebody

well thats it

>sonic
>snes

It's the same as 1, but better.

>mario
>jump on someone

well that's it.

Name another platformer with as much variety and new mechanics in every level

Because he had everything. He had a show, he had toys, he had a brief comic book, he was a multimedia franchise styled after Playmates Toys' other huge multimedia franchise, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Being based on a video game and not a comic/cartoon series definitely meant it had a shorter shelf life, but for that brief three or so years Jimbo was up there with the greats. Then mismanagement happened, Interplay turned into a shell of a company and now nobody can get "into" Jim because the best version of his best game, the first game's Special Edition, has never been re-released in any shape or form.
The PC releases on GOG and Steam are the Rainbow Arts DOS ports, which have major issues with controls and unnecessary visual changes, so if you play them you're getting a worse experience overall, and let's not even talk about the console-exclusive HD version of the game.
Jim had a good life, a brief, ended-in-disaster sort of life, but that's what happens to rockstars. You die young or you get old and irrelevant.
Thanks for using my art, OP.

I actually like 2. Puppy love 1 and 2 are easy, 3 is the only hard one. The only levels that weren't fun are that one with isometric perspective and the "water" level, is like if someone took the nes TMNT 1 seaweed level and decided to make it in 16-bit.

It was not an exclusive title

ewj was pretty big but his games were too hard.
also keep in mind that he did get a cartoon and toys.

uh... mario?

>It's the same as 1, but better.
Every other stage is gimmicky shit, while the only really terrible level from EWJ1 was snot a problem. Not to mention the bonus levels in 1 were much better than Puppy Love.

What the fuck were they thinking with Flyin' King?

welp, that's all we need then. no other platformers should be allowed to exist.

Jim is now a salamander

You hear it playing now don’t you?

>only really terrible level from EWJ1 was snot a problem

at worst 2 was just more of the same. any hatred is unwarranted. but I get it. sometimes people just develop an irrational hatred of something or parrot what they've heard someone else say and it becomes widely accepted. really couldn't care less. I enjoyed the shit out of it as a kid and that's that.

no they should. it's just that they will all seem like dogshit compared to mario. especially this western dogshit earthworm jim.

Not to mention that the Snott swing and parachute are terrible compared to the whip swinging and helicopter head. Not that there's enough standard levels to even use them in.

Shall we talk about the real Genesis injustice?
>possibly the most creative game on a console, combining unique, hand drawn aesthetic with beat em up and non-linear puzzle mechanics and brutal difficulty
>not even a sequel

Mario and sonic had more three good games to begin their franchise

Jim had one

>no they should

no they should NOT.
BAKA GAIJINS NEED TO BE GASSED!
RRRRRREEEEEEEEEE!

>Especially the second. (which is better)
The second one is nowhere near as good, it focusses too much of crappy gimmick levels and just tries so hard to be "random", which, sure, was a part of the first game but they just tried so hard it became kind of embarrassing. I do like Level Ate and ISO 9000, they were pretty fun levels with neat ideas.

Also, EWJ2 had that wretched "save the puppies" thing. That alone would have made it the worse game.

His well done games were too groovy for this world.

Because baby boomers were forcing the shit out of him. My dad would never shut the fuck up about earthworm jim despite never playing the game.

>nobody remembers MDK

had
now hes nothing, and a reboot/remake wont save him. at best it'll bring him up to crash levels, which imo didn't really affect anything but show that that there's still a kinda decent chunk of crash fanboys.

That was honestly the issue for me, especially EWJ2
The first was a platformer with wacky shit in it, the second was basically nothing but wacky shit and maybe 4 or so actual levels of platforming.
Also puppy love can go fuck itself.

>he doesn’t know about the new crash game that’s coming

I always hated mario for timers. Especially SMW. Being rushed in a game all about exploration is garbage. The funny thing is they STILL do it for the traditional ones. What a shit mechanic. Like, hello, Nintendo, it's not the 80s anymore.

>hating snot
I loved it for music alone
youtube.com/watch?v=p0m4U9smFss

is there really one? will it have old spyro cameo too?

EWJ2's standard levels are the best ones, Udderly Abducted is up there with the best ones from the first game, but it's sandwiched between Flyin' King and Inflated Head, two of the worst levels in the game. I just want to skip half the game to get to the good ones.

Good. Jim had his time in the sun, he's one of my favorite video game characters ever but franchises need to drop off eventually.

I agree, SNES is a second rate console.

El worm jim is a product of the 90's just like sonic, but unlike sega interplay didnt have yakuza money laundering to keep making EWJ games. Or at least that's my theory as to why sonic still exists after so many stinkers.

What? Why?

Udderly Abducted is ok, but it just feels like it's trying too hard to be random, it doesn't feel cohesive and comes off like it was cobbled together from a bunch of leftover assets.

Though you have reminded me of the atrocious glass bubble sections in Down the Tubes. I think that is probably the lowpoint of both games, and if you are playing the Special Edition, you can skip it.

Too hot for Mario-loving soyboys

this. Earthworm Jim is 'wow how many drugs were they doing?!?!?' tier for the general audience.

>EWJ1
extremely solid levels and art sprinkled with gimmick levels, pretty good music
>EWJSE
improved art, new levels are great and MP3 music blew fucking everything else out of the water at the time
>EWJ2
Excellent standard levels, but way too many gimmick levels. They seriously make up like 60% of the game compared to like 30% of the first.

youtube.com/watch?v=MQGjQEqSsC8

Playing EWJ1 as a kid is most of the reason I started drawing, and wanting to make a living off it.

Fuck off Kaiba.

He was a household name in the 90's, but with a lack of games post 16 bit era, and one abortion of a 3D game, he was forgotten about quickly.

You're not wrong, it does have pretty bad theming to it, but I like the puzzle element. The fact that it's more puzzley than anything does highlight how little you actually fight stuff in 2, you have all these cool new weapons with different effects and individual ammo counts, and you fight, what, one or two enemies at a time, that can all be dispatched with the whip faster than your guns can be used?
Even the final boss isn't a final boss, you only use your gun to shoot down the propellers that block your path.

So Mario has its own For Pete's Sake or Down the Tubes, or Major Mucus?

>random
EWJ1 has very consistent art direction, EWJ2 too for the most part with a few full retard moments (salamander, ISO 9000)
weird =/= random

thankfully no

Why? His transition to 3D was worse than Sonic

I have it. A pretty great game. Even had EWJ easter eggs.

He's too 90s and was a third party character to boot. There's a reason not many third party mascot characters from back then are still around.

>brutal difficulty
This game was STUPIDLY diffIcult. Not Dark Souls "oh I'm just retarded, THIS is how you do it" difficult. You took damage for PUNCHING THINGS YOU NEEDED TO PUNCH. You had to manage your resources within a fucking micropercent.

Still rad as hell, though. Would've loved to see more games in this style (comic book, etc).

I'm having a tough time thinking of any bosses in 2 outside of the steak one you fight in Level Ate

I'm pretty sure the only two bosses are the one in the second level, Pedro Pupa who's a big maggot on a unicycle, and Flamin' Yawn which you already mentioned, and Pedro Pupa is just a war of attrition where you take damage constantly and hope you kill him first.
Really says a lot, when the first game has a boss fight at the end of nearly every level.

i wonder whose idea it was to make it so you take damage for punching things in a game where you do nothing but punch things. im actually impressed by how stupid that is

>Flying king level

Jim 2 has higher highs but more lows than Jim 1, also the humor is much better. Just turn on the level skip cheat when you replay it.

Too hard.

>how would you like your challenge, sir?
>just fuck my shit up

>MARIO EAT LE SHROOMS XD LIKE DRUGS!!

Unlike Earthworm Jim, Mario doesn't emphasize grossness

>that path in the second level where you HAVE TO destroy an explosive box

Maybe not Mario levels of fame, but he was still pretty household in name. He's still one of those token 90's mascots that everyone remembers.

>he actually made it to the second level
no one else knows what you're talking about

Because he is a fucking worm, just like you OP.

Everyone I knew knew earthworm jim.

>You took damage for PUNCHING THINGS YOU NEEDED TO PUNCH.
You're supposed to have your rat search for dynamite, you dope.

Because you DON'T HAVE TO PUNCH THEM. You're supposed to be creative but you didn't use your head, so you took damage.

The sprite animations are amazing. So fluid and expressive.

Not that guy, but he's not wrong. Its literally impossible to beat Comix Zone without sacrificing health. I suppose this kind of design ideology came from the fact that the game is super short so they had to make everything, even basic movement, into assrape

There are plenty of games where you're forced to take damage, not sure what makes that much of an issue.

but he was on SNES, Genesis, and N64

*blocks your path*

Maybe in extremely small amounts, but I guarantee you need to take less than you think. Remember that box you need to climb on top of to reach a switch? Push on the wall and drop the crate down the hole first and you won't take damage from the flaming barrels.

The whole game is like this, it's a puzzle.

Had one of his action figures and I still own Clayfighter 63 1/3. I remember hearing about Call of Putty and then the Kickstarter last year that never happened.
>Loved 63 1/3 as a kid
>Hear about Sculptor's Cut
>Years later, hear it was a Blockbuster exclusive
>Discovered the first game and loved it and WAT'd at the second game, wondering how they fucked that one up

This part on difficult is just bullshit.

Three second rate consoles, yes.

>throwing a paper airplane causes damage

because it's a shitty game. Believe me, the animation is top notch,the humor is pretty enjoyable, the character design is top fucking tier, but the actual game brings the whole fucking thing down to the ground.

This was the thinking mans platformer. He also had way too much competition at the time.

is the combat a puzzle too, because i felt like i had no control over whether the enemies raped my ass hole or not

Or the alien boss. Some people probably think you need to punch it to death. Nope. There's a barrel on the far wall. Let it light it on fire and push it underneath it and burn it alive. GG.

This game is so badass it has an infinite protection system built in, think about that, a damn near launch genesis game has IPS

If you keep punching straight like a doofus, I guess you could call it a puzzle. You need to change it up and they won't be able to block you.

Earthworm Jim was on GameCenter CX pretty recently.
It was funny since Arino looked like he REALLY couldn't give a shit about it and just wanted to fuck off in the beginning.
He admitted it was pretty good at the end though.

One of the most fun speedruns I watched:
youtube.com/watch?v=IjgNdMfg2ow

There's nothing about old hardware that makes such a thing impossible.
In fact, you could say mercy invincibility was the first infinite prevention system.

Was Cranky right, Sup Forums? Are Jim and Sanic trash-tier?

youtube.com/watch?v=jtI6BTBa8jA

It's not that it was impossible, it's that such a concept didn't exist, or rather it didn't even need to exist as virtually every beat em up including capcom BEUs had a weird way to loop enemies to death.