Western games always use the same races (Orc, Dwarf, Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Dark Human)

Western games always use the same races (Orc, Dwarf, Elf, Dark Elf, Human, Dark Human)

But you can do something better, Sup Forums? Post your idea ITT

qt bug people
qt rock people
qt fish people
qt lizard people
qt skeleton people

We're assuming a fantasy setting?

How about just gnomes and giants?

japanese fantasy doesn't?
they barely have any non-humanoid races either

>[current year] + 3
>still no fantasy race of armadillo people

The soyboy race

>Dark Human
What game does that?

Breath of fire 2 my man

How would you design armadillo people?

A buddy of mine had an idea for worm-people. Just giant hiveminds of worms with vaguely-humanoid shapes
They exchange information by touching each other and trading worms, and they love medicine and shit

OP already mentioned elves

>Dark Human

fucking lol

please tell me this isn't a thing

That's piss easy. Go back to the roots that inspired Tolkien & Co., and just as they did steal shit from folklore. There's so many to pick from too

This thread needs more of this qt3

>he doesn't play Progress Quest
>he doesn't main Double Wookiee

Demons
Crabs
Indians
Rocks
Sea weed
Russians

American

When the fuck is it getting a European release? I've wanted to play this shit for years.

Redguards

What manga is that from?

Well Sup Forums, would you play them, or is it too furry for you?

I know a lot of mmo do this
Two human races, except one is darker and evil-er

Maybe the bird and elephant
The rest can fuck off

Humans
Jotun
Aesir
Vanir
Dokkalfar
Ljosalfar

Inter-dimensional sentient machine race

Mole type people that live in caves in the mountains. They have giant upper arms like gorrilas, but with sharp fingers that allow them to easily dig for ore. They are sensitive to sunlight, like gingers, so they only come out of their cavernous cities during the night. They have a capital high up in the mountains where the ore is plentiful and the conditions are too rough for other races, then take their haul to the bottom of the mountain at night to trade with locals at a smaller marketplace town they ave established. They eat meat and veggies like humans, so they rely on setting up traps and foraging during the night, as well as trading with humans.

Straight up monster classes. Bonus points for not being half human.

The minotaur probably. Especially if the game has good gore and violence because rampaging minotaurs a la Beastmen from Warhammer Fantasy is pretty cool.

Dungeon Meshi

Tolkien had a race of men who had been corrupted by Morgoth: the Easterlings

skyrim

There are almost literally no games with playable bug or bird people so I vote for those.

My game would feature other races more, like medusas, snake-people, golems, trolls and imps, succubus and other demons, bird-people, spider-people but I guess bug-people is OK, some kind of sea-like race, and one race that comes from space or stars, preferably with colored bright hair like some d.punk videos style in the 70s. Also we lack lion-people for some mysterious reason, I found them rad as fuck, take a look at them in DS2 or Rengar in ass faggots. Maybe more greek mythology would be ok

>Guys I need you to come up with an original race.
>Dude, what if we mixed a human and an animal XD
So original.

Goblins

wheres youre great idea

>what if we had a human but they are skinny with big ears
>what if we had a human that was always short and had beards
>what if we had a human, but they were colored green but with tusks

Say what you want, but at least the have a wide range of influences, both cultural and mythological.
Every time I see a suggestion of "Animal Person", it just feels so uninspired, like you're scrapping the bottom of the barrel for concepts.

I wouldn't mind more fantasy races trying to recreate the simple changes that the "standard" fantasy races are composed of. It would be sort of interesting to have say, long-limbed short humans with like, an purple tint.

>he has never played Dillon's Rolling Western

I feel like whenever people make an animal based race, they don't go far enough in actually researching and integrating how the actual animals differ from people as part of the race's behaviors or culture. Because there is no way a race of birdmen for example would develop identically to people.

>Lets add a race that is just as intelligent if not more intelligent than humans
>Its a dragon
REEEE STOP IT. How about the next intelligent race is just elephants. Like they dont have any special features they are just fucking elephants that can talk? Fucking mix it up for once.

>Dark human
You mean kangz?

I think a variation on an existing concept is more interesting that "it's original because they're purple humans with ridges on their forehead."

Warframe kind of has that. Only instead of interdimensional these Orokin guys sent a bunch of robots out to colonize the next galaxy over but they came back with a plan to kill everyone and everything as part of their galactic conquest. It's pretty half assed, like everything about Warframe, but the boss fight was pretty darn cool.
The characters you play as are interdimensional space kids though and most of the game takes place through the eyes of the infested robot golem things they puppet.

>dragon is supposed to be super intelligent
>it falls for all sorts of stupid shit it shouldn't fall for with that level of intelligence because obviously the "lesser" races need a handicap to win

Ok you sperg lords.
Sure you can come up with some flying numbers and call it an original creature, but in truth it wouldn’t be appealing. You can deny it all you want, but most humans want some kind of comparative human aethetic that they can find commonalities with themselves in. Why do people like Skaven or Werewolves or Lizard people? Because they are bipedal and have opposable thumbs and most importantly can show emotions that we as a human species can interpret.

You literally cannot come up with something truly original that would be appealing to others than maybe those people that fuck cars.

>he characters you play as are interdimensional space kids though

REEEEE JUST LET ME PLAY A SEXY SPACE NINJA

I’m pretty antropocentric and can’t really enjoy playing non-humanoids in RPGs. For NPC races though those look pretty neato.

We need more games with monster girl settings.

Orc
Elf
Dark Elf
Human
Undead

This is fair. Though, to be honest, I thinl concepts like that are better explored in sci-fi.

>A race of hyper intelligent elephant people who take heavy inspiration in their aesthetics and architecture from Indian culture and Hindu tradition.
Fuck I kind of want this now.

Literally furfag dwarfes

Tolkien and DnD are not a wide range of influences.
Yes, I am aware that Tolkien's fantasy races were inspired by actual mythology, but you're a fool if you think literally anyone else who ever used elves in their setting was drawing similar inspirations and not just copying Tolkien or DnD (which just copied Tolkien).

>qt
Ironic weeb retard

The painting people from Harry Potter but more developed as a concept. Who makes them, can they self-reproduce, how do paintings interact and change, etc.

>Justifying furfaggotry
ayy

I thought people liked Skaven because they're unapologetically plague-carrying locusts who revel in filth and destruction

Ah president, what's the mission today?

Don't worry, they get good 2000 hours in once you unlock all their passive trees. Sure it's only possible to unlock those by fighting a single enemy and farming exp on one single map, but in the end they're more powerful than half the frames. And probably always will be because DE doesn't do anything if it won't make them money.

Is like that pic where Cthulhu struggles with tic tac toe because turns out it's hard for creatures like him to think in only two dimensions

Fuck you, didn't even read your post but fuck you for that picture

Well, depends on what you do with it, right? Visually, dwarves and elves are pretty bland compared to animal people, but we love their social structure, skillset, mannerisms and whatnot.

As long as you do something interesting and unique with that, you could end up with something very memorable and fun. Like how Dwarves have their mines and Elves have their wooden forest fortresses, you could have "Ploms" or whatever have metallic swamp churches on stilts or something. Obviously an awful idea, but I'm just spitballing.

Compare, say, Warcraft elves to Elder Scrolls elves. They are completely different in so many ways, despite both obviously being Tolkien inspired.
Sometimes, it's not about being original, but doing something familiar with an original twist.

I really want to like warframe, but all the designs are so unappealing. Just imagine how good that game would be if they had ripped off Warhammer 40k and you played as little girls?

They are much larger than humans and are totally bald, like naked mole rats. No beards, no affinity for alcohol, and anyone that's attracted to them has bigger issues than being a furfag

Oh yeah, of course. But Dwarves and Elves and what not, at this point, have become templates. They lend themselves very well as a basis on which something original can be created. These races vary greatly from setting to setting, even if they share commonalities, primarily because good writers know to add a unique twist to these ideas in order to make them truely stamd out.

Is there a single RPG out there that has the balls to not have humans as a playable race? It seems like humans would be something of a limiting factor as the baseline everyone refers back to, and thus having to have them alongside whatever other weird races would have to not look too weird, thus limiting those designs too as far as playable ones go.

I remember hearing that the pedophile working for them is why we couldn't get sexy teens instead of the potato faced things we ended up with. But it's probably mostly because their modeler isn't that good. Every person looks pretty horrible.
A lot of the designs are fine but once they get into the game everything metal looks plastic, everything cloth becomes a big hunk of plastic. And they're kind of lazy so you can't have different body shapes or heights or anything, and when you get in-game there's literally no way to tell what you're playing with until they start casting spells. I guess space marines would be all the same but the other races are drastically different.

Plenty?
They're often indie games about elves or fairies and shit though.

Race of parasites that take control of host body and kill their soul/whatever.
They cant live long without bodies so that automatically puts them in conflict with other races. But what else they gonna do, just die away?

Human, Frog, Rat, Robot, Psychic
Throw in Merfolk, Centaurs, and bird people if your game system can handle them.