What do you lads think of the Switch pro controller?

What do you lads think of the Switch pro controller?

Is it comfy?

I'm going to pick up a Switch and I'll be playing stuff like Bayonetta and other 'traditional' games almost entirely.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FOZ4EsGVBhM
amazon.com/BASSTOP-Translucent-Replacement-Electronics-D-Pad-Smoke/dp/B076T3M8GV/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1515830100&sr=1-1&keywords=joycon dpad
polygon.com/2018/1/12/16878026/hori-onyx-ps4-controller-xbox-layout
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If you're going to be using it for more "traditional" games that don't have as much use of the motion controls, go for it. It's a hell of a lot more comfortable than the regular Joy-cons.

How good is this for PC games?

that pic is such a lie, every pic is.

>"textured" grips are just molded to look that way
>d-pad feels a step up from xbone
>4 buttons are enlarged, flat, and surprisingly spaced
>shoulder buttons are in FPS positions but no triggers. Your natural index finger movement thinks trigger, but there is none.

I kinda like it, the semi-clear plasic gives it a late 90s vibe, but the handles really disappointed me. Every time i see a pic I think this baby has leather grips...

Just get a wireless ps4/one converter on Amazon. You’ll save yourself $40 and have a much better controller to play games with.

Dual shocks are ass

I actually like it more than the Xbone S controller. Good shape, good face buttons, long enough grips for all of my fingers to grab onto, I think the best thing is that the transition from bumpers to triggers is far more natural feeling so it doesn't feel like you're forced to default to one set or another.

it's THE must have for Switch, infinitely better than the garbage Joycons, battery life is excellent, has gyroscopic tilt controls (Protip on BOTW just turn the controller face down during awful tilt control puzzles.) it's only weakness is the rumble isn't anything to write home about and the lack of a headphone jack

came here to ask the same thing

It's pretty great and honestly makes the joycons feel like hot garbage.

Dpad is garbage. Make sure its the newer one or to be certain get the xenoblade limited pro controller

I got mine as a christmas gift from my sister, and I didn't even ask for anything from her

How do i tell if its a new one? i pick one up recently and i want to be sure i didnt waste my cash

I think the joycons are just fine for most things, I honestly don't know why people get so ass-blasted about them.

I did pick this baby up for 2d and more traditional games though.

it's very comfy, feels more solid than standard DS4 and XBO pads.
It feels like half way between an older and more modern gamepad in a good way.
Also try to get a newer revision that has an improved dpad.

Try playing puyo puyo demo with it or and 2d game. Or just go to the setting and test it like this. youtu.be/FOZ4EsGVBhM

When i play tiger tiger in xenoblade2 it suck since I can't control the diagonal shots. Your lucky if it thr newer one supposely.

>I think the joycons are just fine for most things, I honestly don't know why people get so ass-blasted about them.
They felt dainty to me when I first picked up a Switch, and the little frame you put them in didn't help. But using each one on its own own has started to make sense and feel natural. Coming from Dualshocks, I wanted a Pro controller bad during the first hours, but I'm not going to pay $70 for what's reportedly a shitty D-pad and what doesn't offer anything over using the standalone joy-cons anymore aside from larger buttons and likely a shittier motion control aiming scheme.

pretty good I like it, I appreciate the bigger buttons

overpriced unless there's someway to utilize HD rumble on PC that I don't know about

The dpad is total shit.

Get a Wii U Pro Controller and the Mayflash adapter that lets you use the Wii U Pro with Switch

The new revision's dpad is no different in terms of diagonals fucking up all the time.

>xinput
Works with Xbone controller too? I have the original, not the S with Bluetooth

>No gyro

How is the dpad on these abominations?

Honestly, it's one of the most comfy controllers I've ever held, next to Xbox One and GameCube.

works on my machine

This thing is absolutely amazing and has great weight and build quality to it... and then you try to use the dpad. Fucking TERRIBLE piece of shit. Ruins the whole controller.

Gyro works with the DS4

Holy shit this is a thing?

I fucking love the wii u pro

I'm planning on buying a switch but no triggers really triggers me

Pretty much what this user said.

Don't get me wrong, I think the controller is god tier. But just got an also-god-tier xbox one controller for half the cost.

Will only work wired with the original xbone pad, it only supports wireless for the bluetooth version

Cool-ly, it also has a button combination you can press that makes the B button the A button and the Y button the X button just like it is laid out on the Nintendo pads, or you can have it how it is laid out on the Xbox pads

Steam will support it one day hopefully

Requires a Bluetooth connection for PC so I had to buy a little dongle seperately. As well as the fact it can't charge and play at the same time by this method. (Exclusive functionality to the Switch/dock itself.)

Only complaint so far is the button layout is 'unique' for Nintendo (A and B, X and Y are swapped) and I can't get my Steam Big Picture to adjust to the buttons I want it to.

360 wired will always be nicest pc controller. Xbone would be #1 if the usb wasn't so shit. Every couple months I have to switch out cables cause the plug is so exposed the weight of the wire is enough to bend the shit out of the contacts

Where the fuck can I even find a wii u pro controller that isn't a chinese knockoff these days??

the triggers are better than the other gamepads, they just have lower travel which is better for most games.

Not that great actually, these third parties can never get the SNES d-pad just right and they either make it super stiff or loose as fuck. At least with this one it doesn't just degrade into a complete mushy slop after a couple days like most do.

Very pronounced tactile bump of the rubber underneath. Mine is still slightly stiff at the moment, but I have a regular SNES version that was the same way when I bought it, and it's much more cooperative after some break-in while still being very tactile, so I think it'll get that way after a little while on this new one as well. The regular SNES one feels great now.

Dunno but the Horipad has been comfy.

>360 wired will always be nicest pc controller.
not with that d-pad

I'm honestly not sure it's worth it at this point. I have one but the d-pad is shit. I actually really enjoy playing with separated Joy-Cons; the only thing missing is an actual d-pad, then it would be perfect.

JUST

Are the triggers analog?

no

Games can't be designed for analog because the joy cons are digital.

Lame. Its no good for pc then

Just get one off eBay. You can also get them used from Gamestop if they still have any in stock.

When people found out you could use them with a Steam Link, they basically dried up in my area. :-/ I assume Nintendo will update the Switch to work with the Wii U Pro once Smash finally drops and the autistic controller retards go apeshit about lack of support.

???

I mean they can't design switch games around having analog triggers because the default machine only has digital triggers. They can had an extra feature that uses them but not make it a default aspect of a game like in most racing games for example.

they'd need to literally make new versions of the joycons, which are already super expensive in themselves for what they are.

>I assume Nintendo will update the Switch to work with the Wii U Pro once Smash finally drops and the autistic controller retards go apeshit about lack of support.
Do you think they will produce new ones if so?

Is this wireless?

I kinda wanted this one but it is Not Wireless

I just want a dpad on a DS4 that isnt shit and Hori always has good dpad

The joycons are more than enough

what the fuck are these pajeet controllers? Just buy a regular ps4/wiiu pro/xbox controller

Hori makes legendary dpads and is well regarded in the fighting game community, they are not pajeets

I know about their sticks just not on board with these regular control designs

Sure if your hands don't hurt using them.

I think somebody makes a replacement shell for the joycon that turns it into a real dpad

How it compares mechanically to the Switch dpad however I do not know

amazon.com/BASSTOP-Translucent-Replacement-Electronics-D-Pad-Smoke/dp/B076T3M8GV/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1515830100&sr=1-1&keywords=joycon dpad

PS4 controller has a shitty mushy dpad
Xbox controller and WiiU pro have nice dpads but no gyro or touchpad

PS4 controller but with a good dpad would be the ultimate PC controller because gyro aim and touch menus are great

Joycons are fucking amazing. Ability to position your hands anywhere is just too good.

why the fuck would you want gyro or touchpad for PC play?

Its pretty shitty, if nintendo didnt have a raging hard on for proprietary hardware Id use my truaty 360pad

what are you even talking about?
the xbox one's dpads are garbage why are you under the impression they're somehow better than the DS4's?

If only it had a way to remotely turn on the console without having to go press the power button.

But I guess since it's wired, I would have to be close to it anyway...

I love the concept of the split controller design the wii brought, but I think the joycons themselves need to be more ergonomic.

does not holding the home button for like 5 second turn on the console for you?

fuck steam link with a rusty nail.
all the wii u pro controllers are either gone or 3 times the price now.

It's the best controller of all the current consoles, even Xbox One. It has just the right amount of weight to it. It definitely doesn't feel like light, cheap plastic or feathery in any way. It's definitely a first for Nintendo to have their controller be the heaviest, but it works and gives it a really sturdy feel and the controller seems like it will last for decades.

The battery life is the best out of all the current controllers also, being 40 hours of charge. Also USB-C giving it future proofing. The buttons are fairly clicky and spring down fast, giving a good, quick response.

I'm really surprised that Nintendo turned around from making traditional controller feel like a cheap imitation of the competitors, to making the best one of the generation. Coming from using the DS4 and dealing with the terrible build quality those have, it's a really big difference.

Steam lets you map gyro to mouse aim, and lets you use custom touch menus for the touchpads

I work at an office all day so I like to game on the couch, but aiming with sticks sucks

Here's why, and you can try this yourself to confirm it.

If you're currently holding left or right on the DPad on the DS4, then you can't feel when up or down presses in. No response at all. They just mush in and out. This leads to accidental jumps all the time in fighting games.

Xbox One dpad doesn't have this problem, it has a firm click when any direction is pressed and released, no matter what other directions are already pressed. DS4 and dualshock dpads in general only have a nice firm press if no directions are currently held.

I really think steam link is too niche for it to be the cause of Wii U Pros drying up

The real reason is just that Nintendo only produces about 3 of any product, and since they've stopped production to make Switch shit they've all dried up.

Just use the steam controller then

Doing that works on the wireless one since it also turns it on, but I don't think the dock's USB ports are always on, so the controller wouldn't have any power to send that button press to begin with.

I have one, but steam controller has no dpad so is no good for 2d games or emulation shit

DS4 has the steam controller's cool touch and gyro shit while also being a regular-ass controller, but the dpad can be even better

Holy fuck, this really would be the ideal controller

Every controller needs back paddles

I wish it were a bit more compact. I'm using the Xenoblade one, and my left thumb started feeling strained, so I started moving my thumb differently. Been ising the DS4 for a while, so maybe I'm just used to the placement on that.

That one's really decent for its price, but the dpad is an abomination. It's like they wanted to emulate the joycon dpad for no good reason, then at the last second they half-assed it in the other direction. Amazingly it still performs better than the 360 dpad.

it's wireless
coming out on the 15th
polygon.com/2018/1/12/16878026/hori-onyx-ps4-controller-xbox-layout

From what I heard they're fantastic. Hori has been shitting out high quality gamepads since the n64 days

Horipad is better

Analog sticks have too much moving range and A button feels isolated as fuck.

>GameCube.
I see pics of the GC controller and think this looks like hot garbage and then I remember playing with it and remember how much I fucking loved that thing. Is this nintendo witchcraft at work?

So maybe I have small hall hands but how does anyone use the joycons with those wrist strap cap things? I tried and I felt like i was playing with two big bars of hotel soap. Without the straps they fit perfectly in my hand.

What? That's exactly what the controller looks like. If you seriously thought those were leather grips you need to get your eyes checked. Also I'd argue the d-pad and weirdly sized buttons are bigger issues than the triggers not being analog.

I bought the gaymer edition of the pro controller along with xenoblade and I am quite happy with it. That being said, I still feel the price is not justified.

No, that's horseshit. Traditional-layout third party controllers (Hori included) are almost always plain inferior to official ones.

>>d-pad feels a step up from xbone
It does not. Xbone has a firm press for every dpad direction. Switch has false diagonals out the ass.

>being underage enough to unironically think having a stiff, clicky dpad is a good thing
it's like he never played a 2D game in his life

>knowing exactly when directions are pressed and released is a bad thing
You're the underage, underage.

Fuck off, the switch pro dpad is xbox 360 tier.

Clicky or soft doesn't matter, what matters is that it is at least consistent, and the switch pro dpad is not. Sometimes youll feel a press and it will register, someitmes you will feel it but it will not register. And sometimes it will register without you feeling anything. This is objectively fucking garbage.

we can all agree the original DS dpad is the greatest of all time right?

I prefer the 3DS one

>xbox one
>god tier

I don't like the D-Pad but the rest is good.

It's no good. You can't turn off bluetooth in docked mode, an absolutely ridiculous flaw. I recommend the hori wired over this purely because of it.