What is your favorite magic system in any game, Sup Forums?

What is your favorite magic system in any game, Sup Forums?

What is your dream magic system?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tJD1gmwzXmo
pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-creator-tarn-adams-talks-about-simulating-the-most-complex-magic-system-ever/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

DA:O magic trees were near perfect

A magic system that's connected to your stamina. Instead of having mana regenerated over a couple of seconds, I want mana to have more significance. Mana and Stamina would be connected ("Staman" if you will). Exhausting your body over a certain threshold (sprinting for longer periods of time) would shorten that bar permanently until you properly rest. Using spells will also reduce that bar so you don't want to cast all your spells from the get go or you won't be able to do jack shit with your body. Mana potions would do very little and cause long "mana sickness" so only resting like sleeping would fully recover that bar.

Ashes hitbox

So, Wicther? I did not enjoy the magic in that game. i found I actually never used it unless for dialogue checks.

dark souls 3 spells use stamina and mana ("focus"). your system sounds too autistic to ever be used by any game though

It is but to be honest it's just a system I would want from a comfy coop fantasy game to play with the boys where you do quests and slay all sorts of monsters while having to travel to those locations, make camps etc.

Phantasy Star Online 2...I love playing FO, sorry

Something like Dragon Dogma's but more stylish, faster, and destructive. I want to feel like a god throwing lightning and more.

My favorite magic system was magicka's magic, although the game was built and balanced around it rather than it being an aspect of gameplay.
Personally i've always liked magic that can be used creatively. Mixing magics together or using different spells to manipulate the world is something that never fails to amuse me, even if it's a basic mana bar system. The spells should also ideally be unique from each other. Skyrim spells in the destruction school are just beams of [element] that are interchangeable with no real purpose, which is unfortunate.
Basically I want more games to take notes from magicka.

Manima.

Meant to type Stamana, but that's pretty good too

Dragon's dogma

>Dragon's dogma

Dragons dogma does this and has amazing magic

>just spam charged Holy Bolts lol

Dark souls 1/2 spell system already exists fambalam

arx fatalis

I fully enjoyed Guild Wars 1, mix and match, learn EVERYTHING but make choices as to what you bring to battle.

Is going back and playing Ark Fatalis worth it?

dark messiah more because all the spells had individual applicable uses, the actual casting system isn't as interesting as arx
also a bunch of shit from gothic 1 was cool as fuck

Got a giggle out of me.

Yes, but not for the magic which uses a broken mouse gesture system that was so unreliable they let your precast spells to be released whenever you feel like. Ever played The Void? It's that but even worse. Unfortunately, magic is also not optional in the game, you will have to deal with this shitty system.

Heavily modded Skyrim magic combat is unironically some of the best combat in the industry. Only old crpg's like Neverwinter Nights are a real competitor to it

neverwinter nights is literally just dnd. If you want to play Neverwinter Nights again, find a local game of DnD.

morrowind's spell system is amazing in the variety and creativity it allows for

I mean, that's why you have tabletop. you can just do a homebrew ruleset or something

Sacrifice.

Final Fantasy... 2?

Each uses increases potency of that spell slightly and gives minute interested to general magic stats.

Nothing makes less sense than getting a level by hitting stuff with a sword and then getting to assign points to magic stats.

I want a game with extremely mysterious and obtuse magic mechanics. The player has to read and interpret works of scholars, gather materials and perform rituals all in game. Magic is rare but extremely powerful

think it was two worlds 2 that i played that had a card deck type magic system that lets you modify how the spell worked that seemed like potential, never played that game for a long time unfortunalty, crypts in that game were pitch black

youtube.com/watch?v=tJD1gmwzXmo

>What is your favorite magic system in any game, Sup Forums?
Probably Arx Fatalis

>What is your dream magic system?
pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-creator-tarn-adams-talks-about-simulating-the-most-complex-magic-system-ever/

>find a local game of DnD.
that would be pretty hard, and I am too autistic to play with complete strangers

Seconding Morrowind. I don't need to imagine my dream magic system, Morrowind IS my dream magic system.

>complete creative control over every part of your spells, as long as you learn them first
>can combine them together and make cool signature spells
>insane number of spell effects to work with, the possibilities are endless
Oblivion deserves an honorable mention

A system that detects your IRL thoughts and willpower

I adore the creativity of a tabletop sessions, but I would love a comfy coop action game with friends on a Saturday night.

You should unironically try Thaumcraft for Minecraft version 1.7.10
>make and infuse your own wands/staves/clothing
>scan the magical properties of literally everything in the game
>break down the properties of items with alchemy and use the raw magical essences to create amazing things
>do research scrawling magical aspects into parchments to discover new (and sometimes eldritch) shit
There's nothing that comes even close to Thaumcraft, you even do infusion rituals to make powerful stuff.

Try it, trust me.

Mod in Skyrim does exactly what you speak of.

sounds interesting, I'll have to look it up

What a pointless thread. Any answer besides Eternal Darkness isn't even worth discussing.

Something focused around rituals and professional incantations rather than in-the-moment flashy laser beams.

But on the other hand, literally just this.

materia

This. Magicka is so fucking good with friends and still enjoyable solo.

DARK
FUCKING
MESSIAH
Also Morrowind.

no idea
Chrono Cross was original and interesting

FF8 because fuck using magic (besides like 2)

Dragons dogmas magic system was pretty good, if only the early game wasnt trash and you didnt have to grind literally 70 levels for a good magic build

I have always liked the idea of a system that lets you do whatever the fuck you want with magic but with serious penalties for over use. Like you only get 200 spell casts the entire game and if you blow through them then you are fucked. Or if overusing spells had the possibility of hurting the player. Make them carefully ration it.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had some great magic.

the second one is garbage tho

I'm onto you Rhode Island, you can't fool me

I really love composable magic systems as a design. It's not magic and I didn't really like the game all that much, but I remember Transistor's functions working like that, where you could modify basic attacks to do completely different things.

I like the idea of spellmaking like that, where you have for example a floor targeting component, and if you add it to a fire spell, it'd become a flame wall or a trap, or if you added a wind spell, it'd be a springboard. Are there games that do that kind of thing? I think I'm thinking about Bioshock, which half-heartedly attempted that but completely fucked up in execution.

Too bad that in 2 you pretty much get corrupted fire everywhere.

>not Stamana
It's so obvious.

>weak effects
>a lot of unnecessary bullshit
titan quest had better magic

Environmental and elemental interactions will always be cool.

Dragon Age Origins is the only game where I picked Mage and didn’t immediately want to reroll as warrior

sometimes it's also corrupted ice/electrified blood

meant for

Magicka.

There's a game that allowed you to do that sort of thing, but I forgot its name. Will look it up now.
Basically you had three magic styles; damage, shield, trap. Each one had different variants, e.g. damage could be a damage over time, a bolt, an explosion, a magical sword, a beam etc, shield could be a super powerful low duration shield, or a permanent damage reduction, or a weak but cheap one, or one that explodes when hit, etc. Trap could be a floor based proximity mine orr a manually triggered mine, or a debuff that went off at an HP threshold, etc. Finally, each element radically changed what these actually did, and the elements had a lot of whacky ones; fire ice thunder, then also disease, gravity, insects, blood, plants, and some others.

Only real gripe with the game is the damage system made you build up this "potential damage" through weaker spells that did nearly no damage, before cashing it all in on a nuke that consumed that potential as a damage multiplier. Sounds fun, but it made killing trash a chore. I'll try to find what the game was.

Lichdom: Battlemage

>Game has two schools of thought for dark magic
>The evil, corrupt version used by the bad guys. Maximum pain and edge
>The proper, opposite of light sacred version of dark magic
>It's the difference between dying horribly from poison magic or just falling asleep but forever

Imagine if you could actually combine the thuum words in shouts into unique shouts?

phantasy star online

It was a decent idea, but it ruined the game itself. You have to purposefully never use the Recover spell or else you will skip every Sanity Effect, even those only need 1% of your Sanity drained to proc, and Level-1 Enchant kills everything fairly quickly, even the Final Boss.