Mass Effect discussion

Jonathan Bell
Jonathan Bell

for years people went on about mass effect 2 being best
now people say mass effect was the best

So what happened? Why this sudden change?

All urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7KWkao73HuU?t=11m28s
m.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc
youtu.be/HYGkPp9Srkc
youtu.be/VRkeyFNxBYs
youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw
youtube.com/watch?v=ye31ZhLDFUw
youtu.be/1Qfh-P1kTbU?t=19s

Landon Perry
Landon Perry

diffrent people have diffrent opinions
FUCKING WOW

Daniel Long
Daniel Long

what people?

Julian Robinson
Julian Robinson

for years people went on about mass effect 2 being best
This never happened.

Hunter Flores
Hunter Flores

For many years after the second released people widely regarded it as the best game in the franchise. Especially after 3 was a blunder. Now it seems the ME1 contrarians came out in full force over the past couple years here saying 1 was always the better game and 2 was shit or overrated.

Austin Baker
Austin Baker

people
Who? Which people? Where? Stop with the weasel words, fuckbrain.

John Evans
John Evans

Maybe gameplay wise but I've literally never heard anyone claim ME2 has a better story

Justin Kelly
Justin Kelly

After the ME3 controversy only a stellar sequel could save the franchise- we got Andromeda instead, which caused even bigger scandal.
Is there a way to save ME? Another 5 year wait and a reboot?

Elijah Wilson
Elijah Wilson

All over youtube, reddit, 4chan, etc.

Luis Stewart
Luis Stewart

Most story threads from ME2 were relying on a sequel to wrap them up, but the sequel hand waved them away.

Henry Lee
Henry Lee

Name ONE thing ME2 does better than 1.

You literally can't.

Nolan Ortiz
Nolan Ortiz

From the start I liked 1 the most, but 2 is amazing as well. I even liked 3, but it's the only one I couldn't replay, because I'd get bored after a few hours.
But yeah, I remember most people liking 2 better than 1 in the past, like 3-5 years ago.

Landon Kelly
Landon Kelly

Combat and characters but everything else is worse story missions and rpg elements

Gabriel Miller
Gabriel Miller

People who were on this site, well into their teens and 20s when ME1 released, and knew the series was flawed have largely left. Now we have people who were much younger when ME1 came out and have a skewed perception of its quality. It's the same reason you'll see unironic CoD threads, with each "acceptable" series entry going from one to the next as each year passes.

Adam Gray
Adam Gray

Fluidity of movement in combat, and that's it.
Ammo thing is worse, story is worse, the way characters are handled is worse, dialogues are worse etc

Camden Collins
Camden Collins

Better gunplay
Better graphics
Better dialogue options

Eli Cox
Eli Cox

If you go and play both games back to back, you'll realise that the difference in combat is non-existent. All they did was change weapon handling from an RPG stat on the weapon to a generic cover shooter recoil system. Movement is actually dumbed down and WORSE.

Liam Baker
Liam Baker

Better gunplay
Thermal clips

You may only pick one.

Caleb Scott
Caleb Scott

Could be, I'm always too bored with 2 or 3 to replay them fully every time I start them

Ethan Martin
Ethan Martin

Can we finally agree that MEA wasn't that bad if you ignore character design? It's been a year, time to let memes go.
Music - good
Locations - good
Combat- best in any ME game
Graphics - good
Mako - better than ME1-2 by a mile
Ship - I honestly think tempest is better than Normandy SR1, those windows are magic
Vaults - were fucking great.

Bad things - character design, half the crew is unbearable but aliens as usual the best, face diesgn, dialogue script and animations.

Game is solid 7/10.

Ayden Gutierrez
Ayden Gutierrez

It has better writing for sure but the story is pretty non-existent in ME2
ME1 writing is basically just a expository dump and every character feel like a encyclopedia than an actual character

Angel Kelly
Angel Kelly

some kids who were 8 when they got their 360s think it's the pinnacle of the genre when really it's a half-baked RPG and an even worse shooter with shit writing, copypasted buildings, and managed to make exploring space boring almost a decade before No Man's Sky made that a hot topic.

Michael Diaz
Michael Diaz

sudden
People have saying that for years. Where the fuck have you been?

William Sullivan
William Sullivan

ME1 and ME2 are both kinotier, just very different levels of kino.
ME3 is fan fiction tier unfortunately

Oliver Howard
Oliver Howard

generic cover shooter recoil system
As opposed to a generic number on the gun? Numbers are not smart or complex. Pick the green bar.

Liam Rivera
Liam Rivera

you sound like one of those kids

Thomas Johnson
Thomas Johnson

People who were on this site, well into their teens and 20s when ME1 released, and knew the series was flawed have largely left.

So most that come to Sup Forums are actually just normalfags? K got it.

Jacob Miller
Jacob Miller

I've always preferred 1 to 2. I can agree, however, that 3 is abysmal.

Jayden Thomas
Jayden Thomas

Characters are handled worse in ME2.
The worst was the assassin guy and the bald chick, in animations they are presented like half-gods, all those great abilities and skills are shown, than you get them in combat and they have 3 skills which are nothing like anything in animations, they can't do anything special, which was implied in the animations.
I hate this divide between animations and gameplay when you get a new character.

Ayden Lopez
Ayden Lopez

ME1 is space opera kino. ME2 is action-adventure set in a sci-fi setting kino.

Justin Williams
Justin Williams

That's the problem in pretty much every RPG though
Characters are rarely accurate to their gameplay equivalent

Jeremiah Richardson
Jeremiah Richardson

I don't care what anyone says.

The Mordin Solus / Krogan plotline in the Mass Effect series is the BEST video game writing in the history of video games.

Doesn't matter what other problems 2 and 3 have. They gave us the best character ever and the best sub-story ever. That's gotta be worth something.

Liam Morales
Liam Morales

fan fiction tier

you guys never play them 123? It's war novels writing 101.
whispers of threat- nearing threat- war.
1-2-3
Play it in a row game makes perfect sense if you look at it as one game.

Aiden Bailey
Aiden Bailey

Planet scanning ruined the aesthetics and scope of planet flyovers

Luis Williams
Luis Williams

Decryption/Electronics even if it was just for 'caches', in 2 everyone is top hacker no matter if retarded soldier/vanguard, average infiltrator/sentinel or expert engineer. Tech also felt like Tech and Biotics like Magic, now both is Magic.

Benjamin Ward
Benjamin Ward

In ME2 you could probably solve this by having the option for a generic home-brand counterpart to the characters. Like, you can bring a ranged crewman with light biotics from the Normandy crew, but he's absolutely BTFO in unique abilities once you recruit Garrus. You need to have some mechanical way to give a frame of reference for how OP your team should be.

Nicholas Stewart
Nicholas Stewart

Sure, but the divide can be much smaller if handled right. I didn't get that feeling in ME1, in Baldurs, in Witcher (that much) and many more

Owen Williams
Owen Williams

Music
2/10 I can't even remember a single track and I've got like 60+ hours

Locations
8/10 some planets are beautiful and the ancient ruins actually feel like ancient ruins

Combat
9/10 Better than anything in the ME franchise by miles

Graphics 8/10
Frostbite 3 so it's hard to go wrong here

Mako
One of the best things about the game. Made getting around places actually fun and is a useful mobile shield in combat.

Tempest
I liked it, but the Normandy SR1 has better aesthetics.

Vaults were great
I agree

Bad things
Bugs, the dumb map UI, masking long loading screens with transition movies. Liam. Less Multiplayer modes and options.

7.5/10

ME > ME:A > ME3 > ME2

Cooper Murphy
Cooper Murphy

I never see people talk about this series anymore. Was Andromeda THAT bad? Is Bioware finally dead?

Andrew Sanchez
Andrew Sanchez

No memes. I genuinely think ME3 was the best, and although I definitely thought the ending was underwhelming, it wasn't that bad.

Isaiah Carter
Isaiah Carter

Ship - I honestly think tempest is better than Normandy SR1, those windows are magic
Vaults - were fucking great.
I agree with these two points completely tbqh. The guns also felt nice, HOWEVER:
removed squad controls and replace them with braindead ai
garbage characters with joss whedon levels of quip
terrible voice acting for every npc character
sameface syndrome for every no
uninteresting sidequests that amount to "go here and kill this to retrieve item"
The game is still shite fampai

Jaxson Howard
Jaxson Howard

Tech side was always stupid and underutilized, whatever they did with it they did it wrong.

Lincoln Nelson
Lincoln Nelson

I think 3 had the best gameplay, and 1 had the best atmosphere. 2 stripped away RPG elements from the first and feels clunkier to me than 3, so I don't understand how people could consider it the best of the series, but I liked the whole team-building aspect and it has some great characters.

Wyatt Hughes
Wyatt Hughes

ME1 will forever be best
console fags will always say 2 is the best
ME3 will always be the worst of the three
Only masochists play Andromeda

Landon Cruz
Landon Cruz

Nah I disagree. 2 does have better combat for the most part but it still could have been better even with that. The movement is bad in both games. It doesn't feel as fluid as it should.

I still maintain the opinion that Gears did 3rd person shooters best. It doesn't have realistic movement at all and is better for it. Where as the standard for 3rd person shooters is to make them as real as possible in movement or at least fast with some realism. That is fine for certain games but not when everybody fucking does it. Gears ridiculous movement is pretty fucking perfect imo and is probably largely the reason they are my favorite 3rd person shooters ever. It put the gameplay above all as all games should.

Adrian Lee
Adrian Lee

MEA tried to bring this back but it did it in a way that didn't work and became annoying after a while.

Caleb Allen
Caleb Allen

But there was a point to it as stated in the games lore. It also made sense in an RPG aspect.

Turning it into generic recoil and thermal clips was a step in the wrong direction.

Jordan Brown
Jordan Brown

Mass Effect always felt to me like a game that was released halfway through development. I don't think there's a single part of the game that is satisfying, every piece is unfinished.

Benjamin Thomas
Benjamin Thomas

MAXIMUM FUCKING COZY

Evan Hughes
Evan Hughes

For a long time, PlayStation had only 2 and 3

Jayden Hernandez
Jayden Hernandez

3 had the best gameplay
If I wanted to play an arena shooter full of the same mobs and annoying end-game bullet sponges, I'd go play Serious Sam. Its much more fun.
Infact, Gears games have better shooting gameplay than ME3.
ME3 was a disappointment in every area. Mass Effect 1 was clunky, and poorly paced, and you sort of give up on it about 2/3 of the way through but the RPG worldbuilding and character interactions are top notch.
Mass Effect 2's alright. I think going shooter over RPG was the biggest design mistake.

Alexander Rodriguez
Alexander Rodriguez

I always used the elevators to look at asses

Brandon Walker
Brandon Walker

But there was a point to it as stated in the games lore. It also made sense in an RPG aspect.
And that made it an interesting or satisfying game mechanic? Why are RPGs better than shooters, also? Do you just want a generic RPG instead, or the halfassed fusion that ME1 was? Do you think that ME1 having "potential" makes it better than actually complete games?

Jackson Thomas
Jackson Thomas

Elevators were the best way to mask load times. Beats .bik movies playing on loop and don't break immersion.
Speaking of immersion, seriously FUCK the mission complete screens in ME2,give me ME1 star trek debriefings any day

Austin Green
Austin Green

but the RPG worldbuilding and character interactions are top notch.
literally my main thought going through ME1 the first time was how bad the RPG aspects were and how shitty the characters were, especially your party

Colton Green
Colton Green

now people say mass effect was the best
I've been saying this since 2 came out though, my opinion did not change.

Oliver Wilson
Oliver Wilson

you lived to see the day people defended ME1 elevators

Jacob Thomas
Jacob Thomas

I was thinking, do you guys think the lack of a dodging manuever hurt ME2? I gave it more thought and I'm thinking that perhaps it wasn't so bad since ME series isn't supposed to be action shooters anyways. They are supposed to be RPG shooters.

I actually think action RPG games shouldn't try hard to be like a standard action game since they are too different. Let action games perfect combat stuff. What makes action RPG games fun is the role playing aspect. As long as they got that down and a decent action gameplay I could forgive faults it may have since the RPG mechanics are most important here.

I think this is also why so many games are feeling so shit lately. They are trying to do both things well and it just can't work well since it will then feel as if the RPG mechanics are lackluster since the action just has to be good and devs focus more on that.

Cooper Peterson
Cooper Peterson

I never minded it because you got a little bit of character interaction and minor developments. Sort of like Tales' skits.
It could have been done a little better though, maybe put them in situations where it would build tension or expectations, or even throw in a fakeout one where you get attacked in an elevator and it blows up and you head straight into action and it makes you paranoid it will happen again later.

Cameron Rodriguez
Cameron Rodriguez

What is wrong with them exactly?
They serve as a way to listen to your team members banter or hear some news about a recent events.
It's a fantastic way to deal with level transitions.
Maybe you played on shitsole and it took you half an hour to load, but that's your fault entierly.

Thomas Thomas
Thomas Thomas

since the RPG mechanics are most important here.
Why? "Action RPG" is two terms side by side, why does one have precedence over another?

Benjamin Cox
Benjamin Cox

They should have given Mass Effect a top down tactical skirmish mode like they gave Dragon Age Origins on PC a mode to play it like Baldurs Gate.

Cameron Green
Cameron Green

I hate this series so much now and I used to be so in love with it. The last third of ME3 was so bitterly disappointing it ruined my enjoyment of the entire franchise, something that had not happened before and has not happened since.

Logan Richardson
Logan Richardson

Normalfags who praised ME2 over the years forgot it existed, or got gud and played first one and liked it more. ME1 didn't deviate as much from RPG formula and thus was superior, not to say it was more coherent than sequels. ME2 nailed aesthetics and characters, but gameplay was weakest in the series. Those two alone can't carry the game.

Ayden Peterson
Ayden Peterson

90% of what you hear is uninteresting. It also felt like a replacement for party conversations that were absolutely gutted compared to its Bioware predecessors, it was your sole chance to hear party members interact with each other outside of special circumstances. And it doesn't matter what you play on, the elevators take too long.

Matthew Wood
Matthew Wood

ME1 has by far the best story but the gameplay is pretty wonky and stupid and didn't really work.
ME2 has a pretty uninteresting story but has some good side characters and some fairly decent gameplay, for being a cover based shooter at least.
ME3 has a god awful story, fairly boring side characters, but genuinely fun if a bit repetitive cover based shooting.

I kinda like all of them for different reasons, even ME3 shitty as it was, I just wish it wasn't so god damn fucking repetitive.

Christian Martin
Christian Martin

I think the only game that was a bigger disappointment to me was Fable 3.
At least I didnt buy ME3. My friend was playing it and I was watching him play, and I was like: Wtf? This game's gone to shit.
And when we got to the ending, my friend looked so disappointed and confused, and for a long time clung to the indoctrination fan theory because he couldnt believe the bullshit he was seeing.

Leo Baker
Leo Baker

It would have been better than the shit we got, at least Bioware had experience with that type of gameplay. They were never ready to make a real time action combat system, Jade Empire showed this too.

Jose Lopez
Jose Lopez

Best theme

Ayden Brooks
Ayden Brooks

This was also before the revised ending, so it was watching someone play a game they love and it suddenly goes batshit, turns around and screams: "Fuck you! You shitlord cunt! You dont get shit! and shits itself off permanently"

Cooper Watson
Cooper Watson

The only people who ever said ME2 was the best were Johnny-come-lately normalfags who'd never even played the original. They've all long-since moved on and forgotten about Mass Effect given that it's been six years since the last game, so all that remain are people of taste who see that the series was all downhill.

Christian Wood
Christian Wood

Whereas with Fable 3, it was like "Hey you know everything you liked about that comfortable casual romp Fable 2? Well get a load of this: Phhhhffffffhhhpphhhhhhhppphhhhffffffffftttttttpppphhhhllllllppllplllplllphhhrrrrrrrrttttttt!"

Jaxson Richardson
Jaxson Richardson

As someone who only played the revised ending, what was so incomprehensibly awful about the old one?

The star child shit was pretty stupid of course, but I got the sort of happy ending I wanted and while it could have been better I never really felt particularity short changed either.

Gavin Hughes
Gavin Hughes

Initially people got distracted by the upgraded gunplay and waifus, though people still mocked the wheel spinning plot at the time.
When ME3 brought people back to reality with a bang, they looked back and realised everything that later killed the series was introduced with 2.

Nathaniel Jones
Nathaniel Jones

LIES

Aiden Johnson
Aiden Johnson

I'm pretty sure the consesus is the first being more engaging with great world building, but having ass combat mechanics and that fucking dumbass mako.
The Second makes up for this with great characters and fun gunplay, even though it's very linear and has a shitton of chesthigh walls.

Both are fucking amazing together and I'll never stop being mad that they fucked it up so badly as they did with 3 and andromeda.

Justin Butler
Justin Butler

The Mako is amazing, nigger.

Tyler Gonzalez
Tyler Gonzalez

Because nothing you or Shepard has done actually matters to the plot. Choices mean fuck all and its like the main point of the series.

Hell even a bad ending where you always fail would be better. Like if your choices bought X amount of time before you fell, that would at least be more interesting and make more sense to the plot than the fucking Star Child bullshit.
Like if the Star Child decides the ending why dont we play as that little fucker instead?

Thomas Barnes
Thomas Barnes

Because usually what this means is that developers go hard on making the action part good while stripping RPG mechanics. Most action RPG games whether melee or shooting oriented pretty much always feel inferior to dedicated action game anyways. I guess the more I see an RPG play like an action game the more fault I see within it since it isn't an action game in the first place. Its a hybrid. I think the hybrid ratio should favor the RPG side of things. Quick example for my point.

In regards to combat
Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta and DMC > Kingdom Hearts, Witcher, SoulsBorne and so on
Gears, Max Payne, etc > Mass Effect and Fallout

However Mass Effect 1 for example has more RPG mechanics than 2 and 3. Yet a game like Max Payne 3 will destroy all of them anyways in combat. So playing 2 or 3 just feels like an inferior shooter by comparison because of the stripped mechanics. Same with how Borderlands 2 felt tedious to people. They tried too hard making the FPS combat fun and then tried adding more numbers on top of that for 2. Ruining things in the process.

Jordan Bell
Jordan Bell

Nigga why you pooling hack and slash with shooters

Adrian Sanders
Adrian Sanders

The endings were literally all the same, just different colours. Also it provided zero closure to the setting and characters players had spent hundreds of hours in. The game literally just ended and it reminds you to buy DLC. Bioware was either incompetent, retarded or both.

Andrew Brooks
Andrew Brooks

I played the trilogy on a PS3, the first game is a really good action sci fi RPG with some strategy elements in it. ME2 is a straight up third person shooter, thing that made me stop playing the game for 2 weeks.

Isaiah Hughes
Isaiah Hughes

I agree the elevators take too long, but I still greatly prefer them to load screens. They dont break immersion and give you a sense that this place is big, and youre actually going somewhere.

Lucas Lee
Lucas Lee

To put it simply, I think they should have a solid playable base level mechanics for the gameplay side of things. Once they have a passable build for gameplay they then should try hard to make the RPG side of things really robust and fleshed out. Instead we seem to get the reverse since its assumed that is what more people want. Which is why I say they just become inferior action games at that point. Its also where the tedious nature can come in. Its a tricky balance to get right unless if they do what I said.
I'm talking action RPG in general. Both slashers and shooters. People on Sup Forums loved going on and on about hot great Bloodborne was but it doesn't hold a candle to the games I mentioned in regards to melee combat. What the Souls games do get right however is builds. That is what makes them good. The combat itself is secondary really to the build potential.

Alexander Allen
Alexander Allen

ME2's story is non-existent
when will this meme die? ME2 had a strong central narrative and worked as a story that wasn't about saving the universe. the collectors were targeting humans and the council didn't have the resources or inclination to investigate so a pro-humanity group bankrolls a hero to try to solve the problem

my major gripe is how laughably midhandled the entire Spectre thing was in 2. save the day in 1 and now you're just some asshole as far as the council is concerned

Grey Wardens were sick and Spectres were sick, and they ditched them both

Kevin Flores
Kevin Flores

Eh. Reapers got destroyed, Shep survived to go live out his life with his waifu Tali and help rebuild on Rannoch or whatever it was called. Infrastructure was fucked up but got repaired pretty quickly and the galaxy was more or less back up to speed in a few years, Minus the billions dead during the war of course.

I guess the only sort of downside is all the AI's died but I won't loose any sleep over that, might even be a good thing since that ends that stupid as fuck Joker romance.

Guess I just didn't have any illusions that the choices would actually end up mattering too much. I've played too many RPG's to expect that stuff.

Though your choices do have an impact in that war assets determines how the ending plays out, and your choices in the previous games changes how you can and lose that. However for some reason they made it pointlessly easy to get war assets, even without ever touching the multiplayer so in the end nothing matters.

Fair enough. I think they fixed that a bit with the revised one.

Grayson Perez
Grayson Perez

You had a point until you said sick you stupid twat

Asher Hernandez
Asher Hernandez

Mako was too much fun. Fuck the fags who shitted on it. It just needed better worlds to explore with.

Juan Garcia
Juan Garcia

Mass Effect 2's plot doesn't advance the plot of the series at all, though. It's more of something that should be relegated to a spinoff rather than a main series game. It's really important for the second game of a series to really advance the narrative to prepare for the climax instead of diddling around with its thumb up its ass introducing a wide variety of characters that get either a lot of payoff or none at all. Also fuck the collectors.

Thomas Hall
Thomas Hall

ME3 has the most polished combat if you play as Adept, Engineer or Vanguard.
Just equip a SMG (and shotgun if Vanguard) and spec into reduced cool downs.

Vanguard was hilariously broken as you could immediately charge again after your initial shotgun blast.

Luke Perez
Luke Perez

discussing mass defect
GO BACK TO MAKING HORIZON THREADS YOU CANCEROUS FAGGOT

Isaac Murphy
Isaac Murphy

ME2 is a soft reboot of the series.
That's why it gives you a new Normandy, and focuses on recruiting characters.

Jack Bennett
Jack Bennett

ME2 plot is basically this: you find what is making humans disappear - Collectors.
Why? To make baby human Reaper
Why? Because fuck you
The rest is shameful padding: recruitment and loyalty missions that take almost as long as main quests and don't advance the story at all.
Coming into ME3, all these efforts are for naught: squadmates come back as cameos because fuck you

Luke Martin
Luke Martin

It was decent, but the fact that it was so pointlessly simple and the driving sections went on for so long made it pretty tedious. It needed like it's own upgrade system where you could add new weapons armor and shit like that.
That and as you said, planets that aren't just a randomized hightmap that makes the driving system shit itself completely.

That hovercraft thing in ME2 was the superior vehicle though, they just needed it in a game where maps weren't so linear.

Adam Hughes
Adam Hughes

posting the thread derailer
Beat me to it, been doing it for a week

Evan Brooks
Evan Brooks

Fair enough. I think they fixed that a bit with the revised one.

Nah fuck that. I could forgive a bad ending if it was earnest and ambitious but that DLC pitch to conclude the original ending made it clear Bioware ended this series in the laziest way possible on purpose; partly because they were too creatively bankrupt to devise a decent ending to the series but also because they thought it would sell no matter what so fuck it. That shit attitude tainted the product and cannot be fixed with DLC.

Gavin Hughes
Gavin Hughes

Obligatory
youtu.be/7KWkao73HuU?t=11m28s

Benjamin Williams
Benjamin Williams

I always thought they killed Shepard in the beginning of the game to explain how you can change his face
Funny how resurrection is so trivial that it never gets brought up

Alexander Hill
Alexander Hill

pardon me, my dad was a surfer. hard not to pick it up. have a nice day my friend

what should the player have had to do? what story befits a middle entry in a trilogy? Shepard stops a civil war before the reapers come?

Sebastian Flores
Sebastian Flores

Oh don't get me wrong Bioware fucked up royally and they deserve to get shit on.

Guess I should count myself lucky that I only completed it when all the DLC and shit was out and it wasn't really all that tainted for me. And instead just a far more repetitive ME2 with better combat .

Brayden Carter
Brayden Carter

I only played mass effect so it's the best one for me

Jacob Gutierrez
Jacob Gutierrez

Why not have it focused on Shepard trying to find a way to stop the reapers leading to finding the conduit so it doesn't feel as much like an asspull Deus ex machina?

Sebastian Roberts
Sebastian Roberts

This tbqh.
ME1 = Feels like an actual RPG that happens to have Shooter-y combat.
ME2 = Feels like a 3rd Person shooter that happens to have RPG Elements in it.
ME3 = ME2 but shitty

Jace Clark
Jace Clark

that would have been good for overall story cohesion. too bad they just made everything up as they went along

Anthony Williams
Anthony Williams

Legion was cute...

Kayden Howard
Kayden Howard

ME1 = Feels like an actual RPG
It feels like a bad shooter with god awful ill fitting simple RPG elements slapped on to it.

The story and setting saves it though. It's weird how much I love the game despite how bad it actually is.
Jade Empire is the same thinking about it and I love that too.

Daniel White
Daniel White

Reboot
EA
Never going to happen once a series/studio is dead EA like to keep it that way.
You will never ever play a open end game based in the ME universe were you play as a merc exploring the galaxy as you want, jumping from one contract to the next and seeing where it takes you

Dominic Ramirez
Dominic Ramirez

ME2 was a wheel spinner plot designed less to advance the narrative and more to introduce new characters and organisations.
This would have been fine if not for
1) ME3 promptly pissed them all up a wall
2) It failed to provide a solution to the reapers, requiring the most shameless deus ex machina I’ve ever seen

Brayden Baker
Brayden Baker

Casuals and EA shills left.

Mass Effect 2 has always been a complete piece of shit game compared to the first. Worse story, retcons the shit out of the interesting lore from the first game, ruins characters, worse music, and worse gameplay.

Anybody who spent countless hours 100%ing the first game and reading every single lore entry and getting into the world and doing many playthroughs should despise the second game with a burning passion.

Kevin Nelson
Kevin Nelson

Anybody who spent countless hours 100%ing the first game and reading every single lore entry and getting into the world and doing many playthroughs should despise the second game with a burning passion
This
What hurts even more is that I replay ME1 regularly and 100% every time

Zachary Butler
Zachary Butler

The only thing EAware "improved" in ME2 was the inventory system and planetary exploration by removing them altogether. Guess they neede more disk space to fit all those chest high walls. Speaking of which; i hardly needed any core in ME, only if a geth prime or krogan warmaster was charging and i had all my abilities on cooldown.

Blake Nelson
Blake Nelson

Fake news.

James Young
James Young

While I could deal without planetary exploration because it was almost completely awful, the inventory system is not an improvement.

People complained that there was too much management and that the UI for it was completely terrible. It still could have been easily improved without removing it entirely, you don't remove someone's lungs when they're complaining about a cough. That's not a fix.

Lincoln Lee
Lincoln Lee

you don't remove someone's lungs when they're complaining about a cough. That's not a fix.

My point exactly, along with thermal clips that was one of the main complaint when the game came out.

Henry Carter
Henry Carter

Thermal clips could've had a simple fix

Just have the guns cool off instead of treating it like ammo all the time; or never add the fucking things in the first place what were they thinking?

Lincoln Jackson
Lincoln Jackson

We're just going to replace literally hundreds of thousands if not millions of guns in a 4 year timespan including on planets where people have been stranded for 20 years :)
I'm sure everyone in the galaxy will be on board with going from infinite ammo to finite ammo, I mean that Geth technology was so superior it took literally one soldier with human technology to murder literally all of them. I'm sure no military organization would want to have infinite ammo when they could have finite ammo.

And that's just the most egregious fucking retcon, there's still shit like Biotics no longer affecting people who are shielded that isn't explained, there's still shit like Shepard's body burning up on reentry and being what should have been vaporized on contact yet still being successfully cloned including memories, sidequest retcons like the vision from the beacon of a caveman being kidnapped or the sidequest where you KILL EVERY GETH IN THE GALAXY MAKING THEM EXTINCT, Liara being hundreds of years old and going from shy demure archeology nerd to hardass crazy crime lord in literally a few years, Cerberus going from terrorist organization to good boys dindu nuffin, AHH YES """""REAPERS""""" and other such bullshit.

Fuck Mass Effect 2.

Asher White
Asher White

That hovercraft thing in ME2 was the superior vehicle though

It really wasn't. A decent alternate vehicle though.

Nathaniel Lopez
Nathaniel Lopez

fuck people like you. how fucking retarded do you have to be to want to watch a load screen with a bit of tutorial text instead of listen to your companions talk to each other and learn more about the universe? seriously kill yourself.

Hunter Myers
Hunter Myers

you will never play ME1 for the first time again

Yeah, the worlds were a whole lot of nothing, but somehow it was still charming

Easton Scott
Easton Scott

You guys ever seen the stats? More people that played the games never completed 1. It has under 50% completion rating. Mass Effect 2 and 3 was significantly higher if I remember correct. Also by far most people play the soldier class.

So yeah few people seemed to get deep into the lore. I wonder if it made them not give much of a shit to keep true to it.

Julian Thomas
Julian Thomas

I never got this particular interaction. That's funny.

Jose Edwards
Jose Edwards

everyone dislikes rootless wanderers

Is Garrus /ourguy/?

Landon Miller
Landon Miller

Try checking Metacritic. Official reviews and fan reviews seem to disagree with you. Outside of Sup Forums almost everyone says ME2 was by far the highpoint of the series.

Parker Price
Parker Price

So if Shep is a Spacer...?

Alexander Anderson
Alexander Anderson

POST YOUR SHEPURDS

Jordan Garcia
Jordan Garcia

Started playing through the first Mass Effect late December, have almost beat it.
Noveria was really comfy.

Wyatt Gomez
Wyatt Gomez

MOTHERFUCKER

Sebastian Carter
Sebastian Carter

The Mako is objectively shit. I am literally playing ME1 right now. The Mako handles like pure shit, and the copy pasted worlds are trash.

Matthew Murphy
Matthew Murphy

The Mako handles like pure shit
It's not the mako that handles like shit, it's you.
The controls and physics are perfect.
You are only right about the worlds being empty, still better than scanning minigame in 2.

Jacob Fisher
Jacob Fisher

Stop discussing Mass Effect.

Tyler Rodriguez
Tyler Rodriguez

you will never have a custom MC sci fi adventure series like this in the foreseeable future

Jace Martin
Jace Martin

because almost everyone is a fucking casual peasant that didn't even play the first game, and/or thought it's too hard for them, so of course more streamlined and accessible me2 would be their favourite

Nathaniel Taylor
Nathaniel Taylor

Because they're casual retards.

Reminder one of the reviewers couldn't get further than 3 hours into the first game because they didn't know they could level up.

Mass Effect 2 is dumbed down casual garbage that plays like shitty Gears of War and ruined the lore and story from the first game.
Also game """"""journalism"""""" past maybe 2005 is complete fucking trash and the main reason video games will never be true art.

Carter Allen
Carter Allen

is mass effect actually good? got the trilogy for ps3 recently and Incan‘t get myself to play it even tho I‘m generally into sci-fi
feels like a walking simulator atm but haven‘t played much yet

William Baker
William Baker

Mass Effect 1 is a great RPG with great lore and minor, clunky as fuck TPS elements.

Mass Effect 2 is a dumbed down retard cover shooter and shits all over the lore.

Mass Effect 3 at least has better gameplay than 2 but manages to shit the story up even more.

It's a shame you own the trilogy and not just the first game, I'd recommend just playing ME1 and Alpha Protocol since that's closer to Mass Effect than any of the sequels ever were.

Jaxson Powell
Jaxson Powell

It quits being a 'walking simulator' after you leave the citadel.

Ethan Wright
Ethan Wright

Mass Effect 1 is the perfect Mass Effect game, whether you like it or not.

Andrew Brooks
Andrew Brooks

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NcrDWAuyqtc

Thomas Sanchez
Thomas Sanchez

the music when driving to the labs
Fuck, is it time to play this again?

Josiah Lewis
Josiah Lewis

ME1 has the best story and worst gameplay. Gunplay, leveling up, inventory, buying equipment is all shit. It's got that classic adventure feel to it. Instant classic when it came out. ME1 is the best if you're into story.

ME2 has the best mixture of story, combat, and characters but the overarching plot took a backseat. The leveling up and equipment system was greatly dialed back and it was for the best despite what all the fags say. Bigger inventory does NOT mean better inventory. ME2 is the best if you're into a well-balanced, well-paced experience with good characters.

ME3 has a mediocre story with a horrid as fuck ending but the best combat. ME3 is the best if you like blasting xenos, evil cyborgs, and any other motherfucker that gets in your way.

MEA is the Alien Resurrection of the series. Absolutely godawful in every single way. No redeeming value whatsoever. Pirate it if you must but do NOT buy.

Matthew Morales
Matthew Morales

Nah mass effect 2 is the best still

Gabriel Young
Gabriel Young

Sorry, I fucking love the empty worlds and the scanning.

Hunter Morris
Hunter Morris

I'd say this track sums up me1 perfectly

youtu.be/HYGkPp9Srkc

Jacob Jones
Jacob Jones

It's funny, I can instantly think of some other RPG trilogies too that follow this same basic pattern: the first is the least refined in terms of art/gameplay, but it has the most heart and feels the most ambitious and adventurous. The 2nd still has some of that but sort of gets cold feet, or someone said "dial that back a bit" or something, but also has more refinement. The 3rd looks great and often plays great too, but is disappointing in terms of characters/story, more a refined corporate product.

I think some of this has to do with creative/team/management dynamics. RPGs take a long time to make, tons and tons of text and world building required and that really requires good writing and continuous focused vision, writers aren't interchangeable parts. But over a long haul it's quite common for teams to break up or writers to leave or be unable to maintain all the threads that were created or face pressure from management from BOTH sides of economics, like if the game does badly management wants to interfere to can it and wrap it up quick, and if the game does really well management STILL wants to interfere and get their grubby hands all over it. Hard thing to navigate I guess.

Liam Moore
Liam Moore

youtu.be/VRkeyFNxBYs

Nathaniel Ramirez
Nathaniel Ramirez

ME2 is still considered the best everywhere except Sup Forums. Contrarian autists on Sup Forums still think ME1 is the best.

Luis Ortiz
Luis Ortiz

that smug smile Shepard gives at the end

Really, it should've ended there. It was perfect kinda-semi-open ending.

Bentley Smith
Bentley Smith

And in those same places there have always been people who thought 1 is the better game.

Wyatt Ramirez
Wyatt Ramirez

You could probably compare it to Fallout, at least up to three

Connor Phillips
Connor Phillips

Don't mind me just posting the best mission and soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=VTsD2FjmLsw

I don't get how the people who gave us this also gave us 3.

William Perry
William Perry

Locations were meh (dude 2 desert planets lmao) I liked the planet with the acid water because of all the mountains you could speed down in the car

The car was a huge piece of shit though, a supposed all terrain vehicle yet you need to be constantly switching gears just to go up minor hills and any real change of elevation at an acceptable speed

I liked the captains quarters and the little computer that everyone used to shitpost, tempest was kinda bland otherwise

Nathan Bailey
Nathan Bailey

Gameplay is 1 trillion times better in every way.
The original mass effect is clunky gameplay wise, has a terrible inventory system and is just a company's first ever attempt to make a shooter which really shows.

Andrew Johnson
Andrew Johnson

Christ I keep forgetting how good ME1's OST is.

youtube.com/watch?v=ye31ZhLDFUw

Jaxson Williams
Jaxson Williams

He definitely is.

Hunter Evans
Hunter Evans

[ME1] is just a company's first ever attempt to make a shooter which really shows.

Not really, ME1 is actually an upgraded KotOR without the Star Wars

Asher Sanders
Asher Sanders

So what happened? Why this sudden change?
Electronic and Good. You opened this message. This isn't actually asari military command. They're busy tending to what's left of their planet.

So you survived our fight on Thessia. You're not as weak as I thought. But never forget that your best wasn't good enough to stop me. Now an entire planet is dying because you lacked the strength to win. The legend of Shepard needs to be re-written. I hope I'm there for the last chapter. It ends with your death.

-KL

Jordan Ortiz
Jordan Ortiz

i always said the 1st one was the best

Evan Flores
Evan Flores

Guess they grew up. At least 1 didn't have the fucking ammo bullshit that 2 and 3 had, basically turning it into a Gears of War clone.

Landon Edwards
Landon Edwards

You could probably compare it to Fallout, at least up to three
Hell, we can even look at the nips and compare it to JRPGs like Xenosaga.

Like that post said might just be an inevitable higher risk the more ambitious and long term you try to make a series in the modern vidya market. If you've got a successful series sure you can make semi-independent sequels or installments plenty, that's proven. But it's really hard to try to PLAN on a 3 part series let alone anything more, with development stretching over 7-10 years. I think maybe you'd have to have some sort of private backer for that plus some luck.

Noah Ramirez
Noah Ramirez

I disagree, playing them sequentially, its really held back by how much they dumbed down abilities in general and the global cooldown nonsense making adept boring.
The only fun thing was manguarding everything, but even then I got stuck in terrain a bunch, or charge just straight up wouldn't work. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Carter Reyes
Carter Reyes

I understand why so many love the suicide music and that it's the composer's favorite, but I whenever I think of ME2 music I always come back to this 2 minute combat track.

youtu.be/1Qfh-P1kTbU?t=19s

Gabriel Bell
Gabriel Bell

posting the missing me1 tracks
you get it, friend

Isaac Powell
Isaac Powell

no Renegade option whilst beating the shit out of him to start repeating those lines mockingly

James Harris
James Harris

what we got instead was pretty dope, too

Lincoln Flores
Lincoln Flores

More people that played the games never completed 1. It has under 50% completion rating. Mass Effect 2 and 3 was significantly higher if I remember correct. Also by far most people play the soldier class.

Dumb callofduty fps babies cant use their brain...

Joshua Hill
Joshua Hill

3 and Andromeda were bad enough to make people want as much distance as possible from them

Elijah Peterson
Elijah Peterson

Better graphics
This is never an argument for a sequel.
Better dialogue options
How? They are exactly the same.
Well, the actual shooting is better, but thats it, and you are right, thermal clips are retarded, and so is the in lore explanation, so this is actually a
worse writing
for ME2.

Nathaniel Sanchez
Nathaniel Sanchez

I liked the project "Lazarus".
But well, if they could bring Shepard back from the dead once, they could thi again, and again...

Nope, all of them are shit. Boring lore and boring combat system. Also, forece diversity in ME3.

Lincoln Sanchez
Lincoln Sanchez

I've always preferred ME1 and get told I'm a pleb for shitting on ME2 for it's bland mechanics that make it "Futuristic Military Cover Shooter #2853"

Isaac Williams
Isaac Williams

anything with Kai Leng
pretty dope
underage please leave

Parker Barnes
Parker Barnes

The waifufags moved on.

Asher Stewart
Asher Stewart

Friendly reminder that 96.2% of players didn't shoot the traitor after he promises to your face he'll destroy the only safeguard the galaxy has against a resurgent Krogan threat.

Disappointed in you all. You should have held the line.

Sebastian Morales
Sebastian Morales

Fluidity of movement

nigger you can't even crouch

Wyatt Harris
Wyatt Harris

How the hell is Vega that high?

Sebastian Smith
Sebastian Smith

Fluidity of movement in combat,

Anthony Bell
Anthony Bell

Mass Effect was never fucking good

Luis Mitchell
Luis Mitchell

I shoot Mordin every time. The resulting conversations with Garrus and the stand-off with Wrex on the Citadel make for some of the best moments in 3.

Aaron Wilson
Aaron Wilson

his survival rate is high because he's maybe the tankiest party member in the series

Julian Long
Julian Long

He can only die if he's blasted by Harbinger's beam if you don't have enough military might. Vega was busy keeping everyone's benches warm or those players actually prepared for the apocalyptic threat they were about to face.

Michael Martin
Michael Martin

The real tragedy is that only 36% of players ever met Wrex

and that only 42% of players had the common fucking decency to treat a best friend's competition with the respect it deserves. If you "let" Garrus win the shootout then you're a shit friend

Nicholas Jenkins
Nicholas Jenkins

Just here to point out, once again, the original final words in the Mass Effect trilogy were "downloadable content".

Gavin Gutierrez
Gavin Gutierrez

I played ME3 the most of the three.

Brody Brooks
Brody Brooks

agreed

Benjamin Cox
Benjamin Cox

hey guys I'm new here spoonfeed me pls

Nathan Powell
Nathan Powell

hell, you had to download/buy the javik dlc before even starting

Eli Clark
Eli Clark

this is the true contrarian's opinion

Jayden Howard
Jayden Howard

Shit nigger, you could just enable him in the files and only lose out on the mission, literally on disk DLC.

Zachary Sullivan
Zachary Sullivan

Grey Wardens were only relevant when there was a Blight, they are made to kill darkspawn and when there are no darkspawn, nobody gives a fuck. Spectres on the contrary were space SAS, that this aspect was shafted in ME3 (ME2 has lore reasons) was fucking stupid. Thing is, in ME3 not even once you need spec ops.

Aiden Hughes
Aiden Hughes

I thought the on-disc content only had his model and squad combat abilities, not his dialogue or party interactions

Noah Nguyen
Noah Nguyen

patricians

Chase Sullivan
Chase Sullivan

The leveling up and equipment system was greatly dialed back and it was for the best despite what all the fags say.

No faggot that made the game greatly inferior. Its insane that game can even dare call itself an RPG. Literally just 4 points of upgrade per skill tree and even then you only get a handful. Holy fuck that games RPG mechanics were gutted so hard. Also equipment was better when you can at least have different ammo types. Although gun diversity was improved for 2.

Jaxson Gray
Jaxson Gray

WG?

Justin Bell
Justin Bell

One of the best things about the third game was the leveling system and the way you could fuck about with it to focus on doing different things, like an actual RPG.

Given what the rest of the game is, it really stands out, I expected it to be even worse than ME2 in that regard.

Parker Scott
Parker Scott

The suicide mission was pretty great, though that was it.

Carter Watson
Carter Watson

Mass Effect 2's main plot was crap, but everything else was okay.

The universe lost its sense of mystery after the first game though.

Aaron Phillips
Aaron Phillips

This was one of the worst thing Bioware have written.
Like, what the fucking hell he got Shepard's e-maill?

Hudson Russell
Hudson Russell

and that only 42% of players had the common fucking decency to treat a best friend's competition with the respect it deserves. If you "let" Garrus win the shootout then you're a shit friend

It doesn't make sense for non-Soldier or Infiltrator Shep to win the fight though.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit