Ace Attorney

So I'm playing this on my 3DS (the 3DS version, not DS, shit has beautiful spritework and looks thousand times better than the shitty phone port AA Trilogy) and am on Case 4 now.
Just got to the part where you start playing as MOTHERFUCKING WRIGHT and I'm not opening Klavier a new asshole, man this feels great.

So why the fuck do people hate this game again? It's much better than AA2 so far and I arguably better than AA3 mostly because Dahlia and Godot got tiring extremely quickly. Case 3 dragged on too long though since you already knew who the villain was after the end of first day and yet you were forced to just keep going through shit until the fuckboi rockstar decides to finally put him on stand.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4ziiQoErw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump.
Seriously, what do people have against this game?

>Dark age of law

Oh yeah
>Young Valant's sprite does more spins with his staff than the Old Valant does
>Young Valant has more animals in his shocked animation than the Old Valant does
It's the little things.

Wrong game son, you're thinking of Dual Dicks.

a few shallow reasons: inferior music, apollo's hair is terrible, Klavier is unlikeable, Phoenix felt shoe-horned in, no Maya.

The newer games get shit on just because nostalgiafags pretend only the original trilogy is good (ignoring how JFA was dogshit aside from its last case).

Wasn't it the the reason the jurist system got introduced in Apollo though and the point of the whole game?

Apollo was fucking awful and I honestly remember barely anything about it

>inferior music
I will fucking murder you.

>apollo's hair is terrible
It's thousand times less offensive than Wright's.

>Klavier is unlikeable
He started as such but then you actually realize he cares about truth more than about winning and you like him, I know I do, though it does feel great to rip his younger cocky self a new asshole as Wright.

>Phoenix felt shoe-horned in
Yeah you're an idiot, the entire plot is literally designed around Phoenix, it's the opposite of shoehorned in.

>no Maya
Nevermind you're a dumb waifufag, kill yourself.

Honestly I didn't even like JFA's last case BEFORE the twist happened. Like, only the second half of the last case is good. That's 3 and a half case in a game with 4 cases being straight up terrible. JFA is a horrible game as a result.

Apollo and klavier are boring as fuck, also "let's watch that tape again" case is pretty stupid and everyone know why

>inferior music
>no Maya.
Are you for real?

Maya not being in AJ is a good thing. Her character peaked at the end of JFA, and now they don't know what to do with her. She got flanderized hard in SoJ because they're too afraid to change her.

Fuck you Valant I knew you were a shady piece of shit from the second you showed up in Case 3.

The Gramaryes are all human garbage.

>So why the fuck do people hate this game again?
I don't know, but maybe we should watch that video one more time.

He nothing comparered to Zak_

Is Trucy's father also garbage? He doesn't seem like it, at least not yet since I'm not done with the case. The flashback so far portrays him as very sympathetic.
Also Trucy is great and she's also a Gramarye.

1 bad case doesn't make it a bad game, the case wasn't even bad, it just dragged on too long, Circus in JFA both drags AND is terrible. Same with the gay french restaurant in AA3 which both is shit and drags on forever.
So far AA4 has best first case in the franchise history together with AAI2, a very solid second case that tackles something new (many seemingly unrelated smaller crimes adding up to one major one) and the 4th case so far is EDGE OF THE SEAT tier.

Spoiler OP, there's no bad game in the series. They're varying of quality, but every one is enjoyable, including the "bad" ones. Just play them and have your own opinions.

I'm surprised you liked the third case, though.

>inferior music
even people who fucking HATE the game cede that it has one of the best OSTs, fuck right off

>the case wasn't even bad

The whole base of the case was an impossibility mentioned from the very beginning of it, yet everyone went along with it and never questioned that fact. The whole case was a massive disgrace.

It's pretty illogical I agree but in terms of introducing characters and overarching plot is why I liked it. The case itself was meh, it's what goes around next to the case that I enjoyed.
You can't say the same about Case 3 in AA2 or AA3, they're both literally trash filler with no redeeming qualities.

Turnabout for Recipe and Big Top aren't nearly as fucking garbage as Serenade don't even try to compare them.

Yeah, they aren't as garbage, they're WORSE.

>Is Trucy's father also garbage?
He arguably the worst. You'll see soon enough.

How, literally how. I want to know what makes these cases worse than Serenade.

Turnabout Big Top is easily the worst case in the AA franchise

They're literally filler, nothing important happens in them, at all. Nothing that contributes to character development, introducing mainstay returning characters or overarching plot, they're nonsensical filler with even dumber premise than Serenade.
Serenade does one thing right which is all the characters it introduces and the setup for overarching plot, it also gives Klavier some actual character development.

>AA3, they're both literally trash filler with no redeeming qualities.
aa3 case 3 is funny at least. same can't be said for aa2 case 3

>it also gives Klavier some actual character development.
It also gave him the most retarded prosecution narrative in the whole series.

I already agreed with you that the actual crime case is dumb as fuck but that has nothing to do with what goes on around in that case outside of the crime.

>The case being completely up its own ass with retarded inconsistencies and logical fallacies doesn't matter
What am I reading?

What does Serenade do that's so important, other than introduce Lamiroir?

Dude, seriously, I have never known anyone who has defended Serenade Turnabout, it is that bad.

People here tend to over-exaggerate their opinions, good or bad.

I think AJ had it's good moments. The Mason System segment in particular had some pretty intense scenes in there I thought. Overall though, I didn't enjoy the game that much compared to the others, most due to the way it executed it's new ideas I think. I didn't enjoy Perceive for example. Psyche Locks basically just added another gameplay mechanic to the investigation segments which needed a bit of variety, and functionally was just an out-of-court cross examination. Perceive was only in the trial segments and slowed shit to a crawl while you waited for part of the sprite to change. Or Klavier, who in concept I feel was fine, but in practice he largely played the cases for the player which wasn't fun (for me at least). Or Apollo, what's the point in making a new protagonist if you're going to make him so similar to AA1 Phoenix with mostly very superficial differences? The only major difference being his backstory, which is something else I have an issue with but it's more of a general one than one specific to AJ.

Dunno if people will agree with me but AA's a damn simplistic series at heart, you get some melodrama and backstory here and there but ultimately it's just about a lawyer (basically a detective really but whatever) with all the odds against him in a dopey legal system. That's not entirely absent in later games but there's more and more focus on the protagonist's melodramatic backstory with each game and I personally don't feel the series even benefits from it. Mostly because they're never that good, and yeah that applies to Phoenix's own backstory too in my opinion. I bet some people like the increased focus on that sort of thing, I'm not one of those people though so I'm shit out of luck I guess.

This guy was one of the best things to come out of Apollo's game. His role is so small but when he gets introduced you immediately assume him to be this tough Yakuza boss simply by association with Godfather and certain expectations you have because of that. And then he opens his eyes and the image you built in your head crumbles much like it does in Edgeworth's game with Detective Badd when he pulls out the fucking lolipop which you assumed was a cigarette.

You keep putting words in my mouth and talking about something else entirely than I am, you're a grade A retard Herr Shitposter.
I'm not defending it either, it's a shit case. I'm saying that it's less shit than Big Top and Paper Tiger Cosplay of Wright.

Big Top is awful, definitely more awful than Serenade. I used to think Serenade was worse, but that at least has a vague funny bits, while all of Big Top is just excruciating

>I'm not defending it either, it's a shit case. I'm saying that it's less shit than Big Top and Paper Tiger Cosplay of Wright.
It's really not though.

You can literally find nothing in Big Top more asinine than the entire argument for Machi being the killer

>Or Apollo, what's the point in making a new protagonist if you're going to make him so similar to AA1 Phoenix with mostly very superficial differences? The only major difference being his backstory, which is something else I have an issue with but it's more of a general one than one specific to AJ.

To be fair, Apollo comes off substantially angrier and overall more aggressive and on the attack than Phoenix ever did.

>I'm saying that it's less shit than Big Top and Paper Tiger Cosplay of Wright.
Those cases don't have the fucking videotape, and the prosecution's assertions are actually reasonable in comparison.

>Paper Tiger Cosplay of Wright
I think I might be the only one here who liked pic related as a character.

I really, really wish 4-2 was about the Kitakis more, they're fantastic characters. But instead you spend the entire first game with le epic panties meme XD shitting about and Ema blocking you from parts of the crime scene for no reason.

The main problem with Apollo Justice is that the story is riddled with inconsistencies and poor motives throughout the game's overarching narrative. The concert case is completely awful and the game's anticlimactic ending leaves you with a poor taste after finally finishing the shitshow.

He overstayed his welcome desu.

This guy and the faggot chef were so painful to talk to.

The game is great, but 4-3 is probably the worst case in the series

Oh, absolutely, Serenade's story is fucking awful (as is Big Top's, but SLIIIGHTLY less so). It's just that big top has way more shitty characters. It's very telling that JFA was rushed (in like six months, I believe) with the first and third case being the obvious victims.

A lot of people here will become that character in a couple decades.

>no Maya
That's a positive though.

Literally /r9k/ the character

I would argue that Thalassa is the biggest cunt in the series, out of those who are still alive and not in jail.

Just finished 6-3, what a great case, a bit longer and with a slow start but definitely the best 3rd case in the series.
But I heard the next case is shit, don't care I'm hyped for the last

It's not too bad if you go in prepared for an unrelated break case between the main storyline

It's the best filler case by far.

Filler case saved by Blackquill, also hope you known the american art of rakugo

Meanwhile it took 3 years for Great Ace Attorney's fantranslation to translate 2 cases, the first ones which are also the shortest. And it took half a year between Case 1 and Case 2's release. Case 3 is twice as long as Case 2 and Cases 4 and 5 are both about 1.5x as long as Case 3 so have fun waiting few more years and that's only for the first game which ends on a massive cliffhanger that literally tells you to buy the second game because they couldn't be bothered to make a story that wraps itself and you'll wait forever for 2nd game to get fantranslated.

RIP.

Maybe, but you don't interact with her much at all. Meanwhile, Big Top's entire first day is talking to Trilo and Regina and some retarded plotline about how everyone wanted to marry a teenager.

Technically so but it's a term coined by Dual Destinies for no real reason seeing as, of the two incidents that launched it, one was resolved a year before the game began and the second was, well, hardly an earth-shattering occurrence. Actually neither was an earth-shattering occurrence.

Also people don't like AJ because the first case is the only good one. The second is alright but not very memorable, the third is memorable for being literally the worst case in the entire series for so many fucking reasons (circus case in JFA was annoying, yes, but if I have to watch that fucking concert video one more time in my life I will slit my fucking wrists) and the fourth and last case was almost really cool but then it breaks the fucking laws of causality and ends on an insanely anti-climactic note without even making the point it wanted to make properly.

Also Apollo is a bit lacking in personality, especially when compared to Phoenix, and a seven year time skip is jarring as fuck.

Just fucking learn Japanese. By the time they're done, you can have already finished playing DGS2.

It's not a linear thing, though. Like with AAI2, the initial setup is the hardest because it's all technical shit to be able to insert Roman letters, hack the game to allow graphics inserts, that sort of thing. Translation takes a while, but the whole process of putting it in the game takes longer and once that's streamlined it's relatively easy.

Apollo Justice has by far the best first case in the series.

I haven't played Spirit of Justice yet, or the DLC of DD, how are they?

Hardly. He's a bit more aggressively eager in AJ than Wright was in AA1 but aside from that he just kind of lacks an identity. SoJ did him a lot of justice but both AJ and DD were missteps in terms of writing in too many places.

AAI2's translation effort was outright inactive for a while due to the people involved being busy or some shit to be fair. I replayed the entire series again a while back and I disagree with the growing sentiment on here that people only like AAI2 to be contrarians over the unlocalized game, it's cast is so damn endearing

>and I disagree with the growing sentiment on here that people only like AAI2 to be contrarians over the unlocalized game
I have literally never seen that in these threads since the translation

>Kay and Ema bullying loli Franny
CUTE!

Both are good. DD's DLC is excellent and you should play it, the general consensus on SoJ is that it's very good, too. Go for it.

My only gripe with AAI2 is people perfectly remembering events that happened 15 years ago.

I played it recently and while it was fantastic both on its own and as a fairly recent entry in the series that didn't feel the need to be accessible to someone who's never played another game in the series, I felt it was nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. Definitely top tier but I'd still rank T&T as a whole, Farewell My Turnabout, and Turnabout Goodbyes above it.

I do think there's a place for accessibility in newer entries in series that have gone on as long as AA has now but I think DD was the wrong game to do it and I feel like SoJ had a bit too much of it too.

SoJ is great. DD's DLC is better than the entire base game.

>Definitely top tier but I'd still rank T&T as a whole, Farewell My Turnabout, and Turnabout Goodbyes above it.
what's the opposite of damning with faint praise

>2-2
>bad

My point was people like to call it the best of the series but it just isn't, even if it is very good.

I really liked AJ. 3rd case was the only bad one but that soundtrack more than makes up for it.

>being THIS much of a contrarian faggot
T&T has 3 of its 5 cases recycle the same villain, the prosecutor is an irredeemable dickhead and giving him a sobby backstory made me feel nothing for him because of how straight up stupid he was, AA2's last case is definition of rose tinted nostalgia and put high only because it contrasts so high with the 3 shit cases before it and even then half of the case is straight up cancer with LOL SAMURAI POWER RANGERS LMAO xDDD

I mean, you're kind of running on the edge of whatever someone's personal favourite is between a bunch of very good stuff, so it really doesn't matter

what 3ds version?

woah man, he said it was great and then you come in and call generally loved entries shit, i don't think it's that user who's the contrarian faggot

I mean there are some things that you can never forget, but yeah I admit it does kill my suspension of disbelief just a tiny little bit.

If you're not going into detail you might as well just say that the entire series is worth playing and leave it at that.

If you want an actual response formulate a less stupid post.

AJ got a 3DS port a few months ago

>If you're not going into detail you might as well just say that the entire series is worth playing and leave it at that.

Which is perfectly sound advice. I just mean that at a certain point the difference in quality of some stuff becomes so close that it being DEBESTE or not is just arguing over the tiniest, slightest of differences. Reminds me of Zelda discussion.

Remake with much better sprites came out on 3DS in November.

What are the Android/iOS ports like for AJ, DD and SoJ?

I don't know user. How about we see the tape one more time?

They are the same as the 3DS versions but in higher resolution and without dual screen interface, in other words they're great.
The only one you need to avoid is the AA Trilogy for mobile since it's buggy as shit, they only fixed it for the 3DS release while the iOS one is forever fucked.

>AJ
Don't know
>DD and SoJ
Visuals-wise better than 3DS. I preferred playing them on 3DS but that's just my personal attachment to the clamshell design.

AJ is same as DD and SoJ, in that it has better visuals because the sprites are even higher res than on 3DS.
The entire Apollo Trilogy is just extremely well made on mobile, unlike PW Trilogy which was lazily rushed.

Holy shit, that's literally exactly how I ranked the cases.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4ziiQoErw
:)

Makes sense. There was quite a bit of backlash when the iOS trilogy came out and Capcom have shown that they do actually listen sometimes when it comes to AA.

Turning the protag into a fucking bum had something to do with its poor reception

Fine, they're the same as 3DS pretty much. Just personal preference.

>bum
But that's not what he is in the game at all.
He's still considered a Law God with a ton of influence, and he single handedly pulls off a Yagami Light tier keikaku.

>Kay will never drag you around town to see the sights and take photos with you and her together
What reason am I here to exist?

For all the problems that AJ had, Phoenix wasn't one of them.

4-2 is one of the most underrated cases

>what do people have against this game?
The only good case in the game is the first one, and it's completely ruined by what's revealed in case 4. Klavier pretty much does your job for you and isn't satisfying at all to go up against.

Also, can we see the video again, just one more time?

The first day is shit, the second day is excellent. It kind of evens out to decent.
The opening is one of the greats, though.

It needed one more solid case to be great, but I like it more than DD and JFA.

Yeah that shit is kino