Admit it, youll miss them when they go bankrupt

Admit it, youll miss them when they go bankrupt.

Sure Walmart amd Target sell games, but unless you are lucky ebough to have a mom and pop game store, there is no where else for gamers and geeks to meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl.

Also no used games anywhere else physically.

Other urls found in this thread:

actsofgord.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=T57mzJUCXzM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Implying I don't just buy games from Amazon JP

>meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl.

gaming culture is shit tho

>there is no where else for gamers and geeks to meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl
Are you trying to imply this is bad?

The only thing I'll miss is their used controller section.

i've never felt the desire to speak to anyone in gamestop. in fact i've had some of my most unpleasant encounters with other people inside gamestop.

>gamers and geeks to meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl.
Game Stop is a fucking business, not your personal meeting place, you faggot.

I seriously hope you don't actually do this, because if you do I guarantee you every single employee hates you, even if they put up a fake smile.

>there is no where else for gamers and geeks to meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl
Good.

>Admit it, youll miss them when they go bankrupt.
They're not already bankrupt?
>for gamers and geeks to meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl
Why would you want this? Do you enjoy the smell of dried semen?
>Also no used games anywhere else physically.
Meh. Steam sales and Humble Bundles accomplish the same thing as used games, old shit for ultra cheap.

>go to gamestop
>bratty little kids
>fat neckbeards
>loser in his mid 20's browsing the store with him mom

Thats all I see at Gamestop.

You got any GS launch release interaction stories?

>there is no where else for gamers and geeks to meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl.

Sup Forums???

Amazon?

you must be kidding aren't you

No, I've shopped there literally once in 25 years.

Does anyone have that video of Xbox 360 beating up PS3 at gamestop during Halo 3 launch night?

>go to gamestop
>buy bayonetta 1+2 for wii u
>talking platinum with clerks
>they just ignore my gf when she brings up anarchy reigns
rude but an otherwise good experience

i misplaced my receipt at a midnight release once, the clerk didn't know what to do when i came up to the register because he saw that i had been standing there for twenty minutes. so he gave me someone else's copy lmao. never went back there again.

Which one are you?

Mom and pops will start popping up all over the place... this could be a dream come true for someone looking to start their own store... we might see a return to the glory days of gaming community minded stores and venues...

Gamestop's fatal mistake was the complete shunning of gamer culture when they destroyed Funcoland and EB, becoming draconian and soulless in the process...

It just seems to be gamestop never "got it", like the ceo's were just so disconnected from the culture as a whole.

I will not miss them. Working for them was shit.

>Working at Gamestop, week of PS3 launch
>Our store is slow so I'm the only one there from open till 1
>Slow Tuesday, three Basketball-Americans enter and ask if we still have PS3s
>Inform them we do, retrieve one from the back as they said they want to purchase one
>Start ringing them up, sell them on the extended warranty which requires their drivers license info (this matters later)
>Last minute lead nig says he forgot his credit card, says they'll come back later
>They don't that day of course

>Next day about 11:30, same three, start with the same story
>The second I open the back door to get a system all three bum rush me and force me into the back
>Demand I open the closet to the systems
>Not my fucking systems so do it
>They grab about 8 PS3s and make a dash for it
>Call police, when they arrive get standard info, take security video
>Tell them one might have had a gun in his hoodie but I couldn't be sure (he didn't)
>"user, is there anything else you can tell us about them that might help?"
>"Well yesterday one of them gave me his address and his drivers license information"
>Cop is looking at me like "Are you fucking serious?"
>"Alright, we'll check it out"
>Get a call 5 hours later that all three were arrested for trying to sell them all at the same pawn shop

>Show up to court 3 months later to testify
>They all plead no contest
>Charges were upped to armed robbery since I said one might have had a gun and they found one in his house
>Never even had to take the stand and all three got several years

You're really lucky. You're usually shit out of luck if you misplace that finalization receipt.

Hey fuck you I'm in my early 20's

You were a big hero and put niggers behind bars, all thanks to Gamestop, you're not gonna miss that??? Fuck is wrong with you.

Are they really on the way out?

>DQ9 release
>Excellent game btw
>lady in mid 50s begins talking to me
>good conversation despite me being 14 and a pokemonfag and her being a professor layton fan
>traded treasure maps via wireless
Was pretty nice actually

I've honestly never had a bad experience in gamestop.

As PC slut gamer I haven't been to game stop in five years.

Hehe thank you Sup Forums, thanks for being here. Heres an image.

EB games. Anyone? Anyone?

When this happens it'll be an excellent opportunity to open up a local game store. Especially if you can get the same lot.

Too bad physical games themselves don't have much longer.

Have you been to one lately? They look lile a Hot Topic or Spencers gifts. 75% of the store is shitty overpriced geek merch and only 25% is games.

With subscription shit like Xbox Game Pass they are fucked.
All of this on top of their awful awful reputation with both employees and customers.

Unfortunately.

>be me a week ago at the monster hunter 9pm launch
>also picking up pic related at the time
>employee set my games aside when I finalized my receipt
>9pm comes, they're handing out copies of monster hunter as fast as possible
>get handed monster hunter and dragonball fighterZ instead of digimon
>realize the guy in front of me who was about to leave the store in front of me was handed my games, and I got his
>go up to guy and try to explain the mix up
>he thinks I'm trying to steal his games from some reason and freaks out, starts shouting at me to "GET AWAY! THEY'RE MY GAMES! GET AWAY!" at the top of his lungs
>I didn't even try to grab the games or anything, I was literally just holding up his dragonball game
>thankfully, one of the gamestop employees realized what was going on and straightened things out
>still took an insane amount of time for this guy to calm down, realize what happened, even with me and the gamestop employee trying to explain this simple mix-up

the physical retro scene is stronger than it's ever been...

>Steam sales and Humble Bundles accomplish the same thing as used games, old shit for ultra cheap.
Or you could always pirate and not be a faggot.

Not exactly launch release story, but back before the release of GTA V there was a guy that would show up every week to ask if it was out yet. The guys who worked there would tell him the same thing "no sir, it comes out [date of when the game came out]".

He'd always get upset and look them dead in the eye and say "I just really feel like killing some cops, you know what I mean?" and then walk out.

This happened from the time that the first trailer came out, until the time the game actually came out.

Fuck off Valve shill.

>being broke

nigger

I'm gonna miss my local Gamestop. They usually have chill folks who are great for a chat.

I remember riding my bike in the summer and visiting late at night just for a chat.

Worked for a store similar but better than gamestop. Here's a similar idiot thief story

>fuck up, going to be late to work so I call in
>everyone I work with is cool about it since I'm never late and covered for others
>get to work, see coworkers and people in the store on edge, coworker on phone
>what the fuck happened
>idiot that got put on our no-buy list the day before by me came back in that day with a bunch of other stolen shit
>got mad that he was politely told we couldn't buy his items
>came back in and forced his way behind the counter, actually told a coworker "I HAVE A GUN NIGGA" (mistake lol) and stole a bunch of 360s
>hearing this whole story as the cops are showing up and I'm laughing
>people are confused
>I walk over to our contest box (we were giving away systems) and pull out a few slips
>idiot thief the day before put in a slip with all of his information
>give it to the cops while laughing still

My friend was the one that had to deal with the police, identifying, etc. As far as I know the thief went and pulled the same shit across similar places and got put behind bars. That job legit made me not give a single shit about threats. I had so many people tell me they were going to beat my ass, yelled at me, called telling me they were going to 'fuck me up' etc. Bark and no bite most of the time.

I'd like to assume he didn't know that game dates are fairly set in stone and thought the store might actually have it on some random date.

Or I could keep paying $40 or so a year and not get Russian and Chinese rootkits.

Man this is the 3rd time I've seen this copypasta. It never gets old tho

Never been to EB Games in Canada, but I've been to one in Australia.

Mostly had better experiences there than GameStop in the US. They always have cheap PS3 games since I guess those are on the way out.

Although the few times that I bought a game on sale, they tried arguing with me that it wasn't on sale. I had to physically show them the giant ass sign that said that all the shit under $18 was half off. This happened 3 times at 3 different locations.

>paying for air
corporate cock sucker
Or you could stop being a retard and get games from fitgirl
With all the games available to pirate and emulate, you have zero excuse to give money to those pieces of shit.

Do you have any stories about people who actually were bark and all bite?

If anything they will reinvent themselves as "nerd pop culture" stores that happen to be vidya based.

>Bark and no bite most of the time.

So there were people who actually went through with the threats? Got any of those stories?

>fitgirl
You best be baiting.

>live in small town
>one gamestop besides the ones in other cities
>owner is a bro, talked to him on release of Sticker Star, buy games from him all the time
>Go to midnight Mario Odyssey release, owner is a total bro and lets us get the game an hour early
>Preorder Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Switch and talk about the WIi, Smash Bros Brawl's hype train and how it feels weird seeing these things that feel so recent age

GameStop is a magical place, I've never met a cooler fucking dude. He's probably in his late 40s early 50s at most but dude knows his shit about games and I have mad respect for him.

I buy special edition games from bestbuy on sale then scalp them on eBay. I pirate all the games I play

>Star Wars memefront 2 lootbox edition sells nine million

Industry can go fuck itself

>go to Gamestop to pick up Monster Hunter
>also getting FighterZ because dog wants it
>been on edge because transient cryptominers broke in and stole my video cards and my entire Switch library
>I spent like $100 on those two games
>waiting in line
>copping funko figures while employees are distracted to sell later
>finally get to front of line
>grab my games and skedaddle
>random guy stops me
>aw fuck not my PS4 games too
>tell him to fuck off
>drawing too much attention to myself
>employee comes over
>turns out I have the wrong games
>oh lol
>swap em
>employee sighs and goes back to whatever gamestop employees do
>steal the monster hunter display while no one is looking

releasing games early was common practice by independent shops back in the day. they used to do it to get an edge on Toys R Us and Wal-Mart, before games got huge and pre-ordering became a thing.

After hearing tale after tale of how they abuse they're employees and have no problem lying to customers to make a buck I hope they die sooner rather than later.

I know retail usually sucks but it's like gamestop corporate goes out of their way to give the customer and the employee as shitty an experience as possible and then they wonder why they are going under.

calling bullshit. how did he not notice he didn't have DBZ but instead had pokemin ripoff

>POPLAR THING IS BAD XD

shut the heck up

>Have token "such a nerd XD" behind the counter to attract lonely neckbeards
>rip of countless people by paying about 2,50$ for their consoles and games
>25% games 75% hot topic tier merch
>constant shitty trailers blaring at full volume
Good Riddance

Funny gamestop story:

>Go to gamestop at local mall with wife
>She wanders off
>Neet walks up and starts talking my ear off about some weeb game
>Have no clue what he's talking about but fuck it, he's a nice kid
> Wife comes back over and joins the convo
> As soon as she speaks to him this dude freezes up and literally walks away mid sentence
>We laugh about it at lunch

>constant shitty trailers blaring at full volume

Holy fuck this. Why the fuck do they do this.

>meet up and talk about whats going on in gaming and game culture irl.
Implying I do this shit at gamestop.

they realized that digital media was going to become the norm, and eventually used games will cease to exist. so they started pushing memberships, pre-orders, merchandise, and accepting cell phone trade-ins. anything to make a few cents.

What the fuck am I reading?

see

I'll miss dumpster diving at gamestop and making a killing selling games/ game cases.

>no where else for gamers and geeks to meet up and talk abo-
>HEY JUST WANTED TO ASK IF YOU WANTED TO SUBSCRIBE TO GAMEINFORMER!
>N-no man, I'm good.
>ARE YOU SURE?! KEEP YOURSELF UP TO DATE ON ALL THE NEWEST GAME AN-
>Dude, no, I'm good.
>HOW ABOUT OUR REWARDS PROGRAM WHERE Y-
>*door chime*

Fuck em.

>Gamers and geeks to meet up and talk about what's going on in gaming and game culture irl

I get better discussions at my local cardboard game store than I ever got at GameStop. In fact, I've never had a good conversation with someone at GameStop.

I miss Funcoland. That place was great.

You're reminding me of this classic:
actsofgord.com/

Wait, I thought it was company policy to destroy anything being tossed.

oooooooh I get it now

I got a Dark Souls 3 cardboard display thing once, it just depends on who is running the store

Not all gamestops do it. Also, the game cases are worth money by themselves even without games (just sold Wolfenstein 2 game case (no game) for 7 dollars.

.I got an overwatch one myself.

Ebay
Gamestop is a leech on the industry's ass that does nothing but charge a middleman fee for something that should be a seamless transaction between 2 people

This is too accurate for you not to work at one location. I know this because I do

Probably didn't even look at his games, and just want to get home and play Monster Hunter and/or Dragonball. Kinda the whole point of going to a 9 pm release.

>implying i dont just emulate games or buy them on pc

>GameStop meetups

Absolutely fucking disgusting

>be me, elite pro
>walk in gamestop
>take advantage of elite spas
>free BJ from the store female cashier
>400% point gain from buying games
>selling a game gets you more then what you bought it for

who here /elite/

Amazon and Best Buy have had me covered. That said, GameStop always had a few odd games I didn't even know existed, but it's not like I ever bought them anyway. GameStop died to me when they sold Smash Bros. Melee for $30 used while the Circuit City across the street sold it for $20 new. Hilariously, Circuit City is the one that went out of business. GameStop can burn for all I care.

i've never worked at gamestop, but i've been a customer for over a decade. things have changed a lot.

I won't be sad, but it is somewhat disappointing that they will go bankrupt while much worse thing like Steam will continue to exist.

popular things are bad, at least now
people are boring and like boring things

>seventeen or so
>gamestop has buy 2 get one free DS games
>pick up three
>cost about 90 total
>try to return two; keep free game
>guy said that i had to return all three
>go to different store and return them all for money back

Superior in every way

Steam will get a lot worse when Microsoft inevitably buys out Valve.

youtube.com/watch?v=T57mzJUCXzM

if you don't have steam, you don't actually like video games

Brick-and-mortar game stores are one of my favorite things in the world, but Gamestop is always soulless, grimy, uncomfortable, and usually has a terrible selection. A video of some gaming website's hosts discussing the year's E3 announcements drones on in the background until the next E3 comes along. Three Brazilian tourists stand in front of a shelf full of overpriced PS4 games while their dad waits with exasperation. The two dumpy clerks are talking about how one of them is depressed and the other is trying to get his mom into Animal Crossing. They offer five cents for twenty used games. It's just a bad experience, which I only ever went through out of necessity.

Stopped going to video game stores when Best Buy showed up, so late 90s I guess? Really I don't see how they've lasted this long, besides you idiots who continue to shop there despite there being so many plentiful alternatives with better prices and all around better service

No on leaving said that. But socializing with strange neckbeards who haven't developed any social skills. And sure all gamers aren't like that, but most of Sup Forums is that way. And anyone who isn't an omega male already has friends to socialize with so they don't need to meet strangers... at Gamestop.

Do confused people. It is loud, bright, and flashy. They want to confuse the consumer and put them in a different mindset than normal.

>what is pirating
There are so many games to pirate and emulate that there is zero justification for using Steam or any other paid digital "service."
I have always played exclusively on PC and have never and will never use Steam or any other like service.

> last few times I went to GameStop I went to find figures that were otherwise hard to find at Target/Wal-Mart

Literally haven't bought a game from them in years.

gaben has a 51% share and is a former microsoft employee
I don't know why you're stupid enough to even think that's possible.

What about any of that makes it impossible

Last time I went to a gaystop was when Skyrim came out, the first time.

I'm amazed these cunts are still around at all.

Because he hated microsoft with a passion like anyone sane?
While everyone has a price, microsoft can't afford his.

He's obviously a Valve Gabe Newell cum guzzler, all the Gabe Newell shit he ate gave him brain damage.

Was standing outside for amiibo and some guy drives by and yells “what are you waiting for?” than pulled into the goodwill parking lot. It was like 7 am

also, valve is free money forever, you'd have to be retarded to give that up for a one time payment.

I never speak of my video game interests to anyone so the last thing I want to do is associate with people who hang out at ganestoos looking to talk to strangers.

Most people who have video games as a major hobby are cringe since it attracts so many types of undesirables. I'm no prized pig but I keep it normie in casual conversation.

if you play outdated consoles and handhelds then dedicated game stores are pretty much your only option outside of the internet. also fuck service, i don't want to be bothered by some college student sales associate who doesn't actually give a shit about me. i want to peruse my options in peace.