We talk a lot about empty open worlds. What game has the EMPTIEST open world ever made?

We talk a lot about empty open worlds. What game has the EMPTIEST open world ever made?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a7a8BxzMlbU&i=
youtube.com/watch?v=AEggWBBR0N4
youtube.com/watch?v=HPPOT8hXiv4&t=35s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

minecraft

Probably the new Dynasty Warriors

Daggerfall, Arcanum, any other old games that let you spend hours walking across empty fields of randomly-placed trees instead of fast-travel so that they could brag about how big the world is on the back of the box.

Space Engine

What about the FULLEST?

This

fpbp

Daggerfall (but strangely also the most populated.)

Everything else is a meme answer

Shadow of the Colossus, but deliberately so.

Breath Of The Wild. Unless you consider Korok seed hunting actually being content.
Protip: It's not.

wtf i hate breath of the wild now

Are you implying GTA V is empty, because it's not.

Fullest as in having the most worthwhile content, or fullest in the Ubisoft context where you can't walk two steps without tripping over some trinket you have to get five of to unlock a pointless, boring audio log?

Does No Man's Sky count?

Worthwhile, of course.

Fallout 4, There are plenty of interesting locations that are never utilized and feel like they should have

FUEL

Miles of absolutely fucking nothing.

Same with Just Cause 2.

Mafia 3

I don't think that counts, the game is procedurally generated. I don't think it's what the question is really asking.

Tales of Zestiria. It has literally nothing. You have to actively go out of your way to fight a battle every once in a while, and it has nothing to do aside from that.
Dynasty Warriors 9 is pretty terrible too

Just Cause 2 is like Hell

Please also note that Fuel holds the current Guinness World Record for largest in-game open world.

The game world is the size of Connecticut.

Interesting locations located 5 feet from each other. That game was claustrophobic in addition to having nothing to do.

Breath of the Wild, easily. Pretty much anywhere you look there is something interesting to explore. It's so richly detailed.

>interesting locations
Already precludes it. We're talking bare-ass heightmaps with the bare minimum of copypasted content to allow it to be sold in store.

Earth

hmm

>Daggerfall
youtube.com/watch?v=a7a8BxzMlbU&i=

There are 7 parts of this each 4 hours. Gaze upon the emptiness.

Empty world is the hallmark of just cause series

but it is

Mgsv. Its embarrasingly empty.

This desu.
The only points of interest are
>Railroad HQ
>BoS airship
>The Institute
>Goodneighbor
>Diamond City
That's it. Literally a handful of locations and nothing else. It's actually impressive in a bad way.

Why was thaat shsit even open world? Every compound had like, just two entrances anyway. It should've had maps like GZ filled with more detail, instead of wasting so much time with useless crap

Far Cry 2
There's nothing worthwhile to do in between outposts, not even really any collectibles

Probably the worst game I've ever played in my life, actually.

I still haven't finished Just Cause 2 solely because it felt like I was spending most of my time grapple/parachuting though the same empty forests and roads. Did 3 at least have more points of interest?

>He hasn't played the solar system explorer expansion

you're technically correct, but you can also sort of create your own mayhem so there's at least that element

YOU'RE AS GOOD AS DEAD

Grand Theft Auto IV

Buildings does not necessarily mean less empty. Most of them are just as useless as wide open fields

Ignore nintendogaf posts

That's just plain wrong with Daggerfall being around. What about something like No Man's Sky?
And if you were to count as a game (sketchy), nothing whatsoever comes close.

You can't ignore pedestrians, police, and vehicles as things to interact with

Just cause 2, its a giant world of nothing

> conspicuous ring of rocks with one missing and another rock five feet away
> conspicuous single rock atop a high mountain
> conspicuous formation of blocks with a metal block three feet away
> shrine shrine shrine shrine
> conspicuous boulder atop a valley

Top quality content

Saints Row 2, a prime example of why sometimes smaller is better.

>wasting so much time
Why do people think that making empty open worlds is time consuming? If they did what you're suggesting they'd probably take 2x the time to develop the game.

There is very few ways to interact with pedestrians and the police in GTA games. Pedestrians are meant to despawn when you turn around and walk for 10 seconds. They have no depth. The police are basically the same.

no 60% of the map is barren mountains

you are like a little baby. Watch this

>We talk a lot about empty open worlds. What game has the EMPTIEST open world ever made?
life

I played it to completion and even spent a lot of time online but I don't remember a single thing except for the boss being a dragon that you fight exclusively by shooting it with ballistae.

The fact that policecars can be used as cover, and police fights can take place anywhere, is still a pretty neat feature.

MGSV

Anyone who says any modern game is objectively wrong.

The early space simulators from the 80s and early 90s would have these HUGE (even by modern standards) open-worlds, but there'd be literally NOTHING on each planet. It'd just be empty terrain. Try playing Frontier or maybe even Damocles to see what I mean.

Ultima 7's open-world has so much stuff to do that it's mindblowing. The NPC dialog alone took a full year to write. And keep in mind that there are THOUSANDS of NPCs. You can interact with nearly every single object in the entire game and there are shitloads of them.

all the open world spider-man games

Too expensive and too little content. I heard there isn't even any alien life in it. What's the point?

Todd Howard invented open world with skyrim, dumbo

>Did 3 at least have more points of interest?
kek, no. And every island is the same biome so you don't even get the variety of 2 (forest, desert, snowy mountain, city, etc)

Imagine us making alien contact finally and they look just like us. How boring would that be?

Swinging around as spiderman is the fun of ANY of those games
Spiderman 2 and Ultimate Spiderman were basically the only great ones, however

Could Morrowind be the answer here? I can't think of a world that's so densely interesting. Even the "emptier" areas like the grazelands and ashlands are more sparse for a reason and have interesting terrain

Witcher 3.
Gameplay is so poor they had to rely on the writing in order to make player stay on the game.

who cares what they look like as long as they share some alien tech, maybe something to make anime real

>I can't think of a world that's so purely brown
fixed

World of Warcraft

it's still the emptiest you can get in terms of open world, literally only exists so you can swing around skyscrapers

I think this is why I like Dragon Quest builders so much.

I remember seeing a 1:1 height map for middle earth in the oblivion engine. It would literally take days (weeks?) in real time to walk from the shire to rivendell. The misty mountains were so tall that the engine couldn't render the top from the base. Only a couple key locations had any actual detail placed in them. That was by far the largest, emptiest map I have ever seen

It's San Andreas lel
It only feels barren to you because you did not search for bigfoot

Mankind Divided

objectively wrong, literally every single space can be interacted with on multiple levels except for obsidian.

elite dangerous

/thread

>obsidian
I'm retarded
>bedrock

>

No man's sky if we're measuring the ratio of content to volume.

Everyone ITT is fucking retarded. The answer is Red Dead Redemption. It's litterally nothing but sand and desert

dumb frogposter

He probably meant wasting time as the player. Hell, even if the main E3 trailer that first showed off the gameplay, it kept fast-forwarding Snake's movement because fucking nothing was happening

New Vegas. The Mojave is tiny as shit.

For some reason it doesn't seem as offensive in RDR. I don't know why. But I never really found myself thinking "wow this game is empty". It seemed to justify itself.

Daggerfall is the size of Britain

and even the major cities are copypasted from each other. the whole game is nothingness.

Maybe not the emptiest, but Twilight Princess felt really empty and quiet compared to WW or MM...

DiRT

So what are the best open world maps?

The GTA games always pack them full of interesting things and hidden easter eggs.
Saints Row 2 has one of the best cities in the video game.
Breath of the Wild has some nice sights, even if there isn't much else to do besides sightseeing.
Ultima 7 parts 1 and 2 have pretty dense maps, though this could be nostalgia.
Gothic 1 and 2 have small handcrafted maps with hidden items that make exploring worthwhile.

There must be heaps of others too?

RDR has a lot of random encounters though.

Magic anytime anywhere teleport to you horses help since you don't have to walk and absorb the emptiness.

>elite dangerous has over 400 billion star systems to explore, where each planet can be landed upon.
>The majority of planets are empty wastelands with nothing on them

It doesn't even matter how good or bad the content of the game is: If you stretch any gameplay mechanics across 400 billion + star systems, times the average number of planets per system, you will get the emptiest map ever made.

youtube.com/watch?v=AEggWBBR0N4

I honestly think the GTA V map is underrated. The parts outside of Los Santos are "emptier" but I still think they're really nice, have a lot of interesting buildings and neat little areas tucked away, and generally serve a good atmospheric purpose (often they can feel like nice hiking trails, going down river rapids, remote towns in the desert). I still think its an exceptional map. There's a lot more neat stuff in it than you'd think.

There are absolutely not Thousands of NPCs in Ultima 7. There are probably less than 100. But they are all interesting and worth talking to.

Xenoblade Chronicles X had a pretty fantastic world.

Yeah, I agree. The only real fun I've had in GTA5 online is exploring and driving around the desert areas of the map with a friend.

Frontier has an entire galaxy of planets with literally no texture whatsoever and most of them have nothing on them. These are full-sized planets that are bigger than the worlds in most games. Frontier: First Encounters has THOUSANDS of planets that are bigger than the world of Daggerfall with literally NOTHING on them. Nothing comes even close to that.

V's map was nice, but it was severely lacking in interiors. That could've been its big step up from past games, but the vast majority of buildings are still glorified slabs of solid concrete.

Speaking of Rockstar games, Bully's open world is great. Small compared to GTA but full of interesting places.

AHAHAHAHAH

>tfw nobody remembers Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall

game was half the size of Great Britain with more than 15,000 explorable towns

youtube.com/watch?v=HPPOT8hXiv4&t=35s

(mute your volume or suffer the sound of the lip smacking mouth breather that recorded it)

You can explore the entirety of Darkfall on foot and it's several times larger than the world of Skyrim, Just Cause 2, or the entire continents of Guild Wars and Lord of the Rings Online combined.

What I didn't realize was that you were never expected to see any of it close up first-hand. It took me several real world hours of walking through a field to reach the nearest town which was only a square away on the map. Movement and distance are "realistic" to the point where it's absolutely insane and the vast majority of it is empty if you look too close.

Seriously, download Daggerfall, get out of the starter area, and try to manually walk to the nearest town. It might take you the better part of an entire day if you don't get run down by bandits on your way there. Fast travel is the only sane way to play a game of that size.

What this dude said.