How the hell do you do reliably in this game...

How the hell do you do reliably in this game? It keeps locking on to different targets and you have to keep track to press the corresponding direction on the stick. Why?

Attached: 3max.jpg (497x618, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NVBnzcRbTRU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go back to bayonetta you casual fuck

There's no reason for the Dodge mechanic to not be like Bayonetta. It is simply Superior. And no I'm not talking about witch time, which sucks, but the 1 button dodge

You're supposed to jump. The roll is a crutch.

Jump is already a 1 button dodge

Use the manual lock-on and don't rely on the auto lock-on. This'll let you practice crowd control more reliably and stylishly instead of relying on just mashing poke attacks into an amorphous blob of NPCs.

Bayonetta only has the one button dodge for Dodge Offset to be reliable. You mostly just jump or move out of the way in DMC, anyway.

Have I been pranked? DMC 1 and 2 were way more fun than DMC3. I'm on the 4th level of DMC3 and it's just not as entertaining. Feels kind of stiff honestly.

Attached: 71185_front.jpg (640x905, 447K)

get good

>There's no reason for the Dodge mechanic to not be like Bayonetta

Dodge Offset is one of the main culprits as to why all Platinum games are bottom of the barrel when it comes to action games. Absolutely cancerous mechanic.

Attached: Seething.jpg (1244x700, 100K)

>DMC1

Obviously

>and 2

Come on now

You're talking about Witch Time, lad, Dodge Offset isn't even a thing outside of Bayonetta. And isn't nearly enough of a thing in Bayo 2 where certain enemy types force you to use the crutch mechanic.

10/10 filename. Ninja Gaiden handled dodging and enemy aggression so well.

Is there a way to switch between targets in DMC4 like DMC3?

Look in the setting blind faggot holy shit

Hit L3, same way as DMC3.

That's what I thought. Must be something wrong with my L3.

I assume you're playing DMC4SE's PC Port? You're not the first to report issues with the particulars. Might just have to rebind it for now.

DMC1 is so shitty holy shit dude.
I tried it twice and I just can't get over how clunky and shitty it is.
Hopefully DMC2 has better combat.

Nostalgia goggle fags can suck my dick.

>clunky
If you're expecting Bamham "we automate most of the movement" gameplay programming, you're in for a bad time.

>Nostalgia goggle fags can suck my dick.
I played DMC1 for the first time like 2 years ago and it's fucking amazing.

>Dodge Offset isn't even a thing outside of Bayonetta

What about Ass: The Game? What about MGR?

What triggers me is not that you can continue combos by dodging, is that you can cancel any animation into a dodge and dodges have as many invincible frames as years have days and because you can cancel anything into them, they practically have no recovery as well. It's mindless.

The only clunky thing in dmc1 is the lockon system, it still plays perfectly fine.

>literally not one single argument in this whole post

How does your mother feel about you whoring yourself on image boards for attention?

>What about Ass: The Game?
>What about MGR?
Oh, yeah. I gave MGR like a cursory playthrough and didn't bother with Assomata, they seemed pretty mindless. Yeah you've got a point there.

the fucking camera and jumping/dodging is atrocious
dmc3 is better in every way

DMC is the only game in the series where combat has weight and commitment while still feeling fast paced and stylish. I appreciate what was done for DMC3/4 and I think 3 is amazing but DMC is a special game in its own right for sure.

You don't have to commit to much in DMC either, that's a problem with most "cuhrayzee" style games.

>all this fighting between bayo and dmc
>fucking infighting over what dmc game is the best
Another fanbase Sup Forums has managed to ruin with contrarianism and hero worship.

Attached: 1446136726468.png (641x608, 24K)

Jumping and dodging works exactly the same as in DMC3.

Healthy discussion and criticism of a game's mechanics without falling back on what just is commonly accepted as true, isn't a failing of the board.

The "X IS SHIT YOU FAGS" posts are just getting slapped down.

If you think this is fighting than you've never been to a Ninja Gaiden or Resident Evil thread.

Attached: FOUND YOU!.webm (900x506, 2.89M)

from what ive played (4 missions) its just slower version of dmc3
if thats what you mean by "weight", sure

>than
>then

I will never not fuck this up...

That's the point. Turn up the difficulty if you want more challenge but these games ultimately are focused on you dodging and chaining together combos. It's not all bad, at least it's manual. It could be like Batman where you just press square for full combos and then triangle when someone is going to hit you.

definitely not, i've completed dmc3 8 times, difference is big

RE fans are insane, they don't count.

Not sure how there's much fighting in NG threads when they themselves agree that most of the games are irredeemable garbage. Unless there's actually people who defend Yaiba, that'd be a sight.

There's a fair few tiers of complexity for action games and Freeform combat is like half a tier above Musou, that's not a flattering comparison.

Please tell me the new pc port is working well, I really want to try this serie

If I'm not mistaken, you can't just cancel everything in DMC like you can in DMC3. Also, because Dante has less access to cuhrazy skills, you have to learn how to work with the weapons you have. The enemies tend to have more interesting designs as well considering the game's wide variety of them with a number of different strengths and weaknesses. This encourages the player to find strategies that work and switch your loadout to accommodate. This carries over to boss fights as well. At least that's how I played the game and I thought it was very fun.

DMC3 is also a great game but it felt like it didn't really make me think as hard on a regular basis, just on some bosses to figure out what works best but even then I could often conquer them with what worked for everything else. A lot of the enemies are just punching bags for you to get combos off on and you can't switch between your entire inventory of weapons at any time like you could in the first game.

Not him but by weight I assume he's talking about the fact that DMC1 has higher commitment for each attack, plus each attack does more damage than in the other games. Overall, it feels more "deliberate" and less free-form than the rest of the series.

That's fine dude, maybe the games just aren't for you. I haven't played much Musou so I can't comment on that.

>Turn up the difficulty

>Ass and MGR's mechanics really shine when you turn up the difficulty

Said no one ever. That's not how you design games, you can't unfuck something as critical as a dodge by just dialing up the damage. MGR even gets worse on the highest difficulty because it turns the parry into a 1 shot kill.

(You)

>(You)
I wasn't baiting.
Patronizing little shit.

Anyone have an iso of the dmc3 trial edition?

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1131x1200, 361K)

Well, that just makes you a legitimate fucking idiot then doesn't it?

No one even acknowledges Yaiba exists, much less discuss it.

>complain about dodges being too free
>turning up difficulty changes that
Though to be fair Nier's higher difficulty isn't very well designed. I enjoyed Nier more for it's story and atmosphere though I did find the gameplay to be fun to mess around with.

I can't even tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing with me.

I'm the fucking idiot,. You're the legitimate autist who doesn't recognize an obvious joke when you see one.
No of course nobody treats Yaiba seriously, dumb cocksucker. Clearly was referring to the infamous string of fuckups by Koei Tecmo in managing the franchise.

Whatever.

Both. I think that if you turn up the difficulty then you have to be more careful with how you're playing the game because getting hit once or twice can mean game over. Problem is this isn't consistent with every game, so even though it may feel good in Bayonetta, Nier is a different story. The tangent about Nier was just because I like it so much.

>there's no fighting
>literally trying to start one in an off topic thread

>clearly was referring to the infamous string of fuckups by Koei Tecmo in managing the franchise

You mean Yaiba? The other one they fixed so that makes what? 1.5 fuck ups? That's one less than DMC and that's of i'm being generous and pretending SE fixed 4.

>Both. I think that if you turn up the difficulty then you have to be more careful with how you're playing the game because getting hit once or twice can mean game over

Isn't that just a general statement on how difficulty in a video games work? The mechanic stays the same.

Also since i brought NG into the discussion i should mention that there's more to defending in those games than just dodging and all that comes with it, you need to block and deal with all that it entails as well

youtube.com/watch?v=NVBnzcRbTRU

Attached: Giv Miji gf.jpg (1024x1024, 203K)

People can shit on this all they want, but it actually fixed some of the visual issues from PS3. Notably how the distortion effect for DMC1's Hell has been restored

True but Bayonetta had the benefit of coming out after these games. I'm sure that whatever DMC game comes out in the future it will have a dedicated dudge button.

In DMC3's case they had all functions distributed to the style button so dodge focus was made an option. If you watch the original trailer you can see that there was, at some point, a dodge feature but I guess they got rid of it for some reason. In 4's case that was just them doing what 3 did. 2 HAD one and 1 was just the first so they still had things to iron out.

Not necessarily but in this case, yes. It's why difficulty settings are present. You should try them sometime.

>You should try them sometime

Attached: Ninja, is you serious.jpg (2400x1272, 1.02M)

How come any thread that has any semblance of legitimate discussion always fucking dies?

I don't know. Maybe the people who come to these don't come for legitimate discussion but to be entertained.

people don't like discussing games on Sup Forums, just repeating unfunny jokes all day

Use manual lock on. Also, I'm not sure about the others, but DMC3 DOES allow you to switch targets by pressing R3 while locked on to an enemy iirc.

I don't respect most Sup Forums posters and I don't want to have a real discussion with someone I don't respect. You kids are more interested in infighting than actually discussing these games.

I do have the odd good discussion on here but I have to be in the mood to tune out the morons.

dodge isn't your insta iframe godmode win button like in Bayo or Dark Souls. it needs to be used with some skill in this game

I wonder if this reaction is in direct correlation to how modern games are standardized, now. How once you play one game you know how to play every game in it's genre because they all have the same mechanics and they same controller layout and mapping whilst these games belonged to a time where the game demanded you learn to play it rather than the player demand it play the way they know how...

probably by actually using the lockon instead of mashing buttons

Was anyone in this thread even attacking each other though? I don't really understand your condensation in this case.

from what I can tell it runs slightly better than emulation unless you decide to run a resolution higher than 1080p or an FPS faster than 60

Some of you guys called NG games shit. Why? I used to want them when I was a kid because they look cool.

>unless you decide to run a resolution higher than 1080p
I'm playing 1440p just fine.

Any time dmc comes up it turns into 1v3 then ng and bayo fans shit on each other. It gets tiring. It's been dozens of threads since I saw a single post relating to gameplay.

>2 more fun than 3

Attached: bait.jpg (625x626, 56K)

Does the new port have anything extra compared to the PS3/360 one?

we were talking about platinum dodge mechanics and DMC gameplay design in this very thread though. you'll never be able to escape shitposting on this board but I understand not wanting to entertain it.

Someone whining about dmc not having a dedicated dodge button doesn't feel like real discussion to me, but I guess you're right.

Except the jump is literally that you degenerate fanboy

NG and DMC are both great, stop listening to faggots.

DMC1 has subtitles now.

Do you think that every game from same genre should have different button layouts? It's only natural and good thing that devs learn from others and try to put those already established gameplay mechanics that are proven to work to good use, maybe even making them better as a result. That's how I see it anyways.

Attached: 1517032584053.png (225x225, 4K)

there's posts about how NG handles blocking and dodging differently than other action games, DMC dodging and the "commitment" present in its combat, and game difficulty all in this thread. is there anything in particular you'd like to discuss?

>you have to keep track to press the corresponding direction on the stick. Why?
Because it's a video game and that's how you select your target.

I like the part where enemies in Bayonetta actually fight you

I just wanted to know why some people don't like them, user. I like hearing other's opinions.

Sure, I'd like to discuss weapon preferences in the different games. I find myself defaulting to rebellion and agni rudra in DMC3 out of comfort, but I'd like to branch out, what are other good combos.

>everybody has a single game they play for years
>every other game from that series and from "competing" series they play once on normal/easy then shitpost against for years

I always default to Rebellion and Beowulf myself, simply because ifucking love the Gauntlets look on Dante. It looks good, especially with the coatless costume.

I've been being a little more open with Nevan lately, though. Shit's fun when you figure it out. Just wish Air raid and the Lightning attack weren't gimped so hard in 3 compared to 1.

Attached: Beowulf Devil Triggers.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

>Replaying DMC1.
>Those fucking amazing sound effects when hitting and shooting shit.

Later games might have expanded on the combat, but DMC1 still has the fucking best punch to everything. That generous use of heavy rumble is also great.

Attached: 1511750208517.png (520x520, 17K)

You absolutely must use Cerberus

To this day Ifrit is still the gauntlet weapon with by far the best feel

Good enough then
Does it have the same problem with controller detection like the DMC3 pc port on steam,

DMC3 still has the best sword sound, though. I love using the DMC1 costume in 3 so that Force Edge can have such satisfying sounds attached to it. I love that sword, despite it being the weakest weapon in 1.

Attached: dmc-force-edge_alastor.jpg (1000x750, 101K)

Cerberus is amazing. I use is with Rebellion a lot. I also found Rebellion/Beowulf to be very effective on Vergil because you can use the delayed charges to punish his whiffed parries. I can't figure out how to use Nevan though, that shit is hard as fuck.

It's just par for the course Sup Forums my lad. They are must play if you are into the genre and have the chance

Attached: Official site.jpg (934x638, 118K)

Hold. The DMC costume actually changes the sound effects?

Oh I do a lot of beowulf as well actually, I loved ifrit in dmc1. I really want to like Gilgamesh but it just doesn't feel as good. Maybe I just need practice.
I love the idea of cerberus but I suck with it. Might need some practice.
Yeah I can't even begin to use Nevan with anything resembling competence. Also I never gunslinger or even really use my guns very often.

No, I'm just saying DMC1 sound effects for the sword hits aren't as good as 3s.

Well they try to fight you, but then they get stuck in a button prompt cutscene and die. At least that's what i think happens, it's hard to tell with all those particle effects flying everywhere.

>It keeps locking on to different targets and you have to keep track to press the corresponding direction on the stick. Why?
If you are in a crowd control situation with many enemies nearby you shouldn't be using the lock-on so much. Without lock-on you can steer the direction of your normal combos freely with left stick. With no lock on and left stick neutral, there is a soft lock that will lock on the closest enemy.
Use lock-on for when you want to focus on a specific enemy and when you want to use your special moves.

The regular jump and Trickster dash are basically one button dodge moves already. DMC 3 and 4 just don't have room for more moves on the controller because every button is already dedicated to something else.

Attached: 1490989666888.jpg (770x665, 119K)

Sure they can learn from others but copying the same layouts regardless of whatever unique aspects or mechanics the game might have just downplays said originality and can end up more limiting, as well as causing low key stagnation. Simple fact of the matter is that there are very few cases of button layouts being objectively better than others, because there is generally always a reason for some things and also it is very often customizable for the player and depends on their preferences.

Yeah dude it really fucks me off when more than one thing happens every ten seconds in a game like shit I'm getting old

Replaying these games makes me realize two things
DMC1 is so much easier than I remember on normal mode
DMC2 is so boring
DMC3 is so much better than both combined. And you can say I'm a DMC3 baby but I played 1 before I ever played 3.

>using Easy Automatic

Attached: 1383864263138 (1).png (652x624, 248K)

>actually having a weapon preference
>not just using whatever you feel like using at any given moment
I think overall, I like Rebellion and Beowulf the most, but when it comes to Devil Arms, I pretty much just used whatever I felt like using. With guns, I didn't use Spiral much though. Everything else was fair game

>It looks good, especially with the coatless costume.
Thank you. Coatless DMC1 Dante is sex.

Attached: 1521000691209.gif (430x600, 49K)

Just what is it about DMC1's costume that makes it so perfect?

Attached: Dante_3_DMC1a.png (353x547, 73K)

I'm not good enough with Nevan to play it on dmd or honestly even very hard.