Name a game where the "he was super special all along" twist was better done...

Mason Diaz
Mason Diaz

Name a game where the "he was super special all along" twist was better done than in DQ8. You literally can't.

Attached: 240px-DQVIII-Hero-artwork.png (144 KB, 240x532)

All urls found in this thread:

desuarchive.org/vr/thread/4632171/

Henry Bennett
Henry Bennett

I can't. Because 1) DQVIII did do this the best and 2) It's actually not done very often.

Attached: fcd1fa9c2e55534d52ad40d49bf1d753.jpg (312 KB, 1000x1499)

Colton Thompson
Colton Thompson

I'd argue Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles is up there, because the game strips away WHY he was super special all along about 2/3rds into the game and then has him prove himself without it. Basically a better executed case of Sora and the Keyblade in KH1.

Dominic Brown
Dominic Brown

I didn't like that the reason he was immune to curses was that he got his memory wiped, instead of being just because he's dracovian.
It would make the note in Rapthorne's castle about "looking out for the menace of the dracovians" have more sense.

Adrian Jackson
Adrian Jackson

The reason he's immune to curses is because he has a Dragovian Lord in his pocket. The hero himself isn't immune to the curse, but "Munchie" is putting up a barrier. Same reason he didn't get cursed in the castle or against Rapthorne.

Samuel Collins
Samuel Collins

That actually was pretty good but I doubt that many people got fooled into believing that Shulk really was nothing special all along.

What's great about the reveal in DQ8 is that you could find out about the protagonist's origins by unlocking his final skill in the game. Otherwise it was impossible to find out about his origins before post game I believe.

Nathaniel Smith
Nathaniel Smith

DQV had the best hero twist in the series, and probably the best of any JRPG

Caleb Price
Caleb Price

I distinctly remember them explaining that curses bounced off him because he already had a curse placed on him (the memery loss).

Jonathan Foster
Jonathan Foster

Which is ruined by making the hero gear garbage and not even the strongest equipment in the game and not even necessary to beat the final boss although that was the entire purpose.

Benjamin Brown
Benjamin Brown

Was that added in the 3DS version? Because I don't recall that ever being mentioned.

Juan White
Juan White

the game gives several tips about eight being special, the moment he manages to resist doulmagus curse attack

Jason Robinson
Jason Robinson

pic related. come at me bro.

Attached: 1501119545446.png (954 KB, 1024x685)

Aiden Wright
Aiden Wright

It's been too many years since I've played the original, I don't know if it was already there.

Cooper Hughes
Cooper Hughes

You know that Fei is special 10 minutes into the game. A premise is not a plot twist.

Brandon Gutierrez
Brandon Gutierrez

Can confirm this is true.

Camden Bailey
Camden Bailey

When you go into the post game and first get to the Dragovian Village, Munchie appears (forgot his name, Lu Xia or something) and explains he was with you all the time. And he was the one who put the barrier protection spell on you. But it only works when he's with you. Which is why he keeps tagging along any time you leave the Dragovian village.

Attached: 44cece09359641d0e89a6bb0e27da377.png (649 KB, 800x857)

Kevin Flores
Kevin Flores

You literally only learn this during the post-game raid boss area.

Luis Brown
Luis Brown

You know Stocke is special from the start you just don't know the real reason why.
It's because he needs to commit suicide

I don't know of any "chosen one" plots that do a better twist. Also DQ8's twist was just as good as DQ7's.

Attached: 38644379-p9.jpg (121 KB, 430x450)

Levi Powell
Levi Powell

What makes it even better is how it affects the ending.

Eli Price
Eli Price

You can learn it before trough reaching level 65 and obtaining the final skill of the protagonist, dragon soul. Highly unlikely to reach that level before post game though but the best grinding spot is plainly reachable way before the end of the game so it's perfectly possible.

Daniel Thomas
Daniel Thomas

Oh yeah i totally forgot about that, his dad fucked a dragon or something, right?

Charles Gonzalez
Charles Gonzalez

Secret of Mana.

Luke White
Luke White

lu xia
no, his name is chen mui. it's an anagram of munchie

Christian Morales
Christian Morales

The King of Argonia makes mention of his brother being an adventurer and disappearing years ago
first play-through
means absolutely nothing to the player
second play-through
HOLY SHIT

Lucas Williams
Lucas Williams

Yeah, like 4's dad fucked an angel and died.

Levi Perry
Levi Perry

I liked how they even gave a reason why the post game boss couldn't save the earth from dhoulmagus even though he was a good guy and after you beat him he even says that dhoulmagus will now be a joke for the protagonist to defeat or something like that.

Owen Turner
Owen Turner

The "bad" ending is still my favorite in the series, I didn't care for his optional backstory nonsense.

Brayden Butler
Brayden Butler

Why is the Jessica ending supposed to be better than post game?

Brayden Reyes
Brayden Reyes

This did handle it the best. He's special, but not for the reason you think. He's a counter for the games antagonist, but there is no prophecy dealing with it. He's essentially just a normal guy, that finds out his extraordinary past, AFTER he's already taken care of the threat to the world.

Still, there are plenty of hints in the game that point to the possibility of his nobility, it's the other side that comes as a shock. Though he has one hint in his Courage skill.

Matthew Lee
Matthew Lee

I just got done playing the 3DS version and I never heard shit about Chun putting up any barriers.

Brayden Carter
Brayden Carter

I meant the you run away with the princess ending. Didn't play that 3ds remake.

Charles Scott
Charles Scott

VI went several steps further by making the superboss kill the final boss for you.

Isaiah Stewart
Isaiah Stewart

Was the superboss of 6 a good guy though or just even more evil? Because a greater hero defeating the last boss and then challenging you would be super cool but just a bigger threat defeating him would be kinda eh.

William Johnson
William Johnson

You can always tell when someone's never played a DQ game when they try to say they're the most bog standard and "traditional" RPGs.
It's like the ultimate bait and switch, the series plays itself off like that but once you get into the story they all do everything in their power to defy normal RPG conventions and totally fuck with your expectations, it's great.

Jason Parker
Jason Parker

The main character is pretty boss in that ending.

Jason Peterson
Jason Peterson

Jessica's ending doesn't really affect the story. Hero still gets to cuck Prince Charmless out of his wedding by marry best girl, and Madea is free to live the life she wants.

Colton Brown
Colton Brown

The cursed king revealed himself to be a total faggot though. Who would willingly marry his daughter to that douche. He even experienced the awful personality of the prince multiple times.

This also happens POST GAME after the protagonist saves the entire world and frees them both of their curses. That he didn't offer up the pussy of his daughter to the protagonist was fucked up.

Cooper Miller
Cooper Miller

He's neutral to the events of the game, but being an ancient demon summoned by mistake he's probably technically evil. Anyway if you defeat him in few enough turns he's so impressed that he decides to make you a favor.

Jose Sanchez
Jose Sanchez

So how does VIII run in Citra now? And can I change the music to the symphonic suite ones? Don't really care much about Jessica's censored outfits

Caleb Watson
Caleb Watson

I still love the DQ5 twist being that you are not the hero, you are his dad. Such a nice change of pace. I love it.

Jeremiah Cruz
Jeremiah Cruz

Just play the PS2 version you huge faggot.

Blake Davis
Blake Davis

This, I've only finished VII so far, but things like Kiefer leaving your for pussy or the devil being actually evil for once were somewhat of a change of pace compared to your standard JRPG

Charles Martin
Charles Martin

why did they randomly pay homage to DMC with these characters?

Attached: 307861-angelo-3[1].jpg (23 KB, 640x480)

Alexander Nelson
Alexander Nelson

Nier Automata.
9S literally says that he's the best model around in the prologue itself.

Eli Lopez
Eli Lopez

But I already played that one to death. I wanna see the new content.

Gabriel Morris
Gabriel Morris

Cuck yourself out of great content because it isn't as pretty

Jaxon Sanchez
Jaxon Sanchez

Trode shows misgivings about the whole thing after meeting Charmles. Before that he didn't know what the prince was like, and there was the whole thing about the grandparents' promise. In the end though he still comes through and lets the hero pound Medea's pussy.

Jaxon Gray
Jaxon Gray

Talking about VII, it was great how the game hints at who the hero's real parents actually are but nobody in the game ever finds out.

Isaac Mitchell
Isaac Mitchell

Literally perfect aside from small fps drops when objects in the overworld are getting loaded.
Dunno about the ost but there's uncensored version floating around.

Attached: citra-qt-2018-03-15-00-27-10-65.jpg (139 KB, 1920x980)

William Collins
William Collins

Dragon Quest often gets labeled as generic, but its actually subverted a lot more tropes than other series. Especially FF and Pokemon. In fact, it's done it so much that now the fans are demanding a return back to basics.

Zachary Edwards
Zachary Edwards

your father was a Great Man
your son is the Destined Hero
you just want to keep everyone you love safe

Zachary Baker
Zachary Baker

The very first boss in the game tries to curse you but Hiro just shrugs it off with a dragon seal appearing before him.

Jacob Moore
Jacob Moore

Sweet, I'm gonna give it a shot

Camden Williams
Camden Williams

great content
game is already flawless
One of the best things about DQ8 is that you only get as many party members as you can actually use in combat. This makes DQ8 hands down one of the most immersive JRPGs of all time since you don't carry unnecessary fat around all the time but everyone that travels with you actually counts.

Jeremiah Brown
Jeremiah Brown

just use the latest canary build, it received an enormous fps boost

Samuel Brown
Samuel Brown

The problem is that its "subversions" over time became the norm.
A character like Alena was subversive in 1992, now it's a common trope.

Brayden Nelson
Brayden Nelson

I like that was hinted at in fights with curses bouncing off him long before the game explicitly mentioned it.

Attached: that's-nice.png (3 KB, 493x402)

Angel Wright
Angel Wright

Really? Because Citra was running like balls last time I tried it. Or do I need to get one of those bootleg Chinese versions?

Jeremiah Reed
Jeremiah Reed

The new characters are pretty much mandatory for the postgame dungeon, that is probably the most fun I've ever had with DQ's combat.
The small addition to the story were needed as well.

Hudson Sanders
Hudson Sanders

You're special.
But not in the way you think you are.

Attached: terranigma-wlp1-1920x1200-750x375.jpg (731 KB, 1920x1200)

Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams

That's kind of what I was trying to say.

Attached: 1403250132270.jpg (380 KB, 770x900)

Jace Peterson
Jace Peterson

Jessica >>>>>>>>>>>> Medea

Jace Flores
Jace Flores

Whenever that happened I always thought "huh, wonder what's up with that. Guess he's just getting lucky rolls".

Julian Cruz
Julian Cruz

The game kinda spells it out though when you finally face Dhoulmagus.

Lincoln Thomas
Lincoln Thomas

What was his problem? He was literally a cunt till the very end.

Attached: Marcello.jpg (18 KB, 180x377)

Camden Rogers
Camden Rogers

Red > both.

Isaiah Richardson
Isaiah Richardson

LUCKY
ROLLS

Elijah Long
Elijah Long

Both of them.

Attached: tumblr-nrulle8mHF1tylu9po1-500.png (360 KB, 500x674)

Blake Stewart
Blake Stewart

It was expressed very blatantly. Daddy chose a real family instead of him.

Nolan Reyes
Nolan Reyes

Play the 3DS version.

Luke Johnson
Luke Johnson

Angelo was his problem.

Ayden Foster
Ayden Foster

twist
he's shown to be special early on as the single survivor of a curse that wiped out an entire kingdom
Yep. I sure was surprised to learn that he was special. Didn't see that coming a mile away.

Ryder Davis
Ryder Davis

She would be, if she had something going on for her besides looks. Medea isn't best because she's the chosen girl, but because she actually had a lot of story arcs and development. Both of Jessica's story arcs focused more on someone besdes Jessica (her brother/mother in one and Dhoulmagus' staff in the other).

They really should have added more to Jessica in the 3DS "remake".

Attached: 1462647909898.png (599 KB, 911x650)

Elijah Reyes
Elijah Reyes

To be fair, the specifics for why are left unclear, and is seldom touched on for most the game. So in that sense, its still handled better than most stories that hammer you over the head with the fact the protagonist is special.

Benjamin Cooper
Benjamin Cooper

He looked like the weakest faggot in his guard uniform though. DQ8 hero looks super plain even with his godlike travel clothes so I never suspected him.

Ryder White
Ryder White

If I had to find a problem with the story of this game, it would be that the "elf" guy with the harp completely disappears after you get the boat.
I kept expecting him to have a bigger purpose later on but the game forgot about him.

Matthew Young
Matthew Young

It was obviously because he was pure of heart. Medea got turned into a horse because she had a dark fetish for horse cocks.

Owen Hill
Owen Hill

getting a new PC on a few days
gonna emulate VII and VIII with Citra
Shit's gonna be comfy.

Brandon Wright
Brandon Wright

Attached: You-must-be-hungry.-Would-you-like-breakfast.png (23 KB, 512x448)

Blake Hill
Blake Hill

turns super saiyan aesthetically with super high tension
That was a nice twist.

Logan Bell
Logan Bell

Daddy issues.

Alexander Thomas
Alexander Thomas

I'm not much of a DQ fan, so I just assumed that he was a cameo from a different game or something.

Ethan Morris
Ethan Morris

I liked that, it was just some weird otherworldly shit you weren't even meant to stumble into more than once and the game recognized that not everything has to be significant to your journey, the world is weird.

David Price
David Price

That was a US only thing

Jonathan Parker
Jonathan Parker

He was born of an affair and was pushed out into a monastery as soon as his father remarried. Years later, his bother (the brother his dad replaced him with) showed up at the same monastery and repeated his cycle. He was worried Angelo would ruin his new life like he did his old life.

To someone on the outside, it doesn't seem that justified. But if you grew up in a shit household and a society that condoned this kind of thing (like was common in Europe even up into the 1800s), you'd probably be bitter and defensive as well.

Later on, Rapthorne used this to take over him. Though Marcello held off Rapthornes influence longer than any other host (which the 3DS version completely ruined his best scene).

Attached: 1439184227473.png (343 KB, 500x599)

Chase Richardson
Chase Richardson

he just got a lucky roll

John Sanchez
John Sanchez

Nah it was in the pal version too.

Adrian Johnson
Adrian Johnson

Literally DQ3 if you played 1&2 before otherwise you would think he was just another Hero not that Hero

Alexander Gomez
Alexander Gomez

but you go there twice

Jaxson King
Jaxson King

Empyria is, but he isn't.

Caleb Baker
Caleb Baker

yes, which is why I said you weren't even meant to be there as many times as you were and the guy actually comments that it's weird

Justin Sanchez
Justin Sanchez

How did he lose control again? I seem to recall he was confident he could control the staff indefinitely but something the heroes did fucked him up and caused him to get possessed.

Michael Watson
Michael Watson

And the game points out how bizarre that is. Even the elf dude is surprised.

Jordan Adams
Jordan Adams

Yeah, beating him up caused him to lose control and obliterate the entire city.

Cameron Davis
Cameron Davis

You fight him and in his weakened state Rhapthorne finally takes over.

Sebastian Ward
Sebastian Ward

I know which game did it the worst.

Disgaea 2.

Adam Howard
Adam Howard

Fuck , DQ8 could be my favorite game ever.
I can't fucking wait anymore for 11, where the fuck is it Squeenix?

Nicholas Morales
Nicholas Morales

I like to think that The Fishermen are actually his biological parents but he's kind of a Spiritual son to the pirate dude due to Water Spirit shenanigans

Christopher Brooks
Christopher Brooks

Marcello held off Rapthorne's influence for weeks with sheer determination and spite
Jessica fell pretty much right as she touched the staff
Man, Yuji Horii really doesn't care for Jessica.

Attached: 1445040254475.png (418 KB, 679x1100)

Carter Reyes
Carter Reyes

It's pretty clearly explained that he's the biological son of the pirate and his girl.

Jaxson Moore
Jaxson Moore

The game strongly hints at him being lifted from his original mother's belly and put into the new one.
That's why despite being born 4 months early he was already perfectly formed.

Dominic Gomez
Dominic Gomez

I must have missed it
Time to play it for a third time I guess

Attached: 1443027080788.png (223 KB, 474x530)

Tyler Walker
Tyler Walker

Well you have to remember, she had just avenged her brother's death with defeating Dhoulmagus, no one knew about the effects of the staff, and her defenses were pretty much down at that moment. Marcello on the other hand was a seething ball of hatred 24/7 who pretty much walled off his true feelings to everyone around him.

John Martinez
John Martinez

dragon quest threads in /vr/
ceaseless wars about accents
dragon quest threads in Sup Forums
actual game discussion, with occasional waifu image dumps
For once, I actually prefer Sup Forums.

Hudson Rivera
Hudson Rivera

Pollock and Pearl thought they were having a child
instead Pollock's family line ends with him and Pearl was simply used as a surrogate
Harsh.

Charles Jenkins
Charles Jenkins

That's because Sup Forums is usually good with discussions about games that don't get a lot of attention here. DQ threads are usually pretty chill, but if they happened more often all the shitposters would probably show up

Brandon Robinson
Brandon Robinson

I suppose that makes sense.

Aaron Flores
Aaron Flores

Sup Forums complains about the dialects as well, when someone is stupid enough to bring them up.

but if they happened more often all the shitposters would probably show up
They show up any time a new DQ game get announced or released. It became so common that the posting patterns got recognized and we outed FFXV Kun. When DQXI comes out, he and all the other contrarians will return and ruin these threads.

Attached: 1513234607518.jpg (517 KB, 946x1000)

Hunter Miller
Hunter Miller

I mean technically he must have some of Pearl's genes.
Remember when Maribel (or was Aishe?) says that he looks like his mom but nothing like his dad?

Austin Ward
Austin Ward

oi don cha luv deease funnni accentt, annon?

Personally I don't mind them as long as they don't go full retard like DQIV's, but I would prefer the old English style of the NES games or just a fucking normal translation.

Attached: dqv-hero-pankraz.jpg (35 KB, 480x480)

Evan Hill
Evan Hill

Holy fuck how did I miss this

Attached: 1515124207148m.jpg (66 KB, 1024x576)

John Allen
John Allen

Attached: 1388772216278.gif (262 KB, 256x240)

Kayden Jenkins
Kayden Jenkins

It's really bad in the /vr/ threads, tho.

I don't think that's how surrogates work. But in a magic fantasy world like Dragon Quest, who knows?

Because it's not spelled out. You're given hints as to what might have happened to that baby, enough to figure it out on your own if you're paying enough attention and remember old clues, but you're never outright told. That's why a lot of people missed it.

Attached: A-shark-has-appeared!.png (69 KB, 496x448)

Isaiah Bailey
Isaiah Bailey

You're excused since it's foreshadowing that only pays off 70 hours of game later.

Nicholas Davis
Nicholas Davis

Personally I don't mind them as long as they don't go full retard like DQIV's
They dialed it back some in each game after that. But the problem is, each game still had examples of that. Multiple NPCs and the end boss of DQV DS, every monster and notable NPC in DQIX, the french town in DQVII 3DS, Flourette is a French hooker in DQSwords, the return characters from IV in DQHeroes, etc.

They really didn't improve it. They just did it a little less.

Attached: 1187195273056.jpg (192 KB, 476x674)

Jackson Hughes
Jackson Hughes

cast Hurtmore
not enough MP

Attached: dragunu.jpg (40 KB, 496x478)

Levi Allen
Levi Allen

Attached: 66704452-p0.png (1.93 MB, 1599x1600)

Justin Russell
Justin Russell

Stranger's Wrath GOAT

Attached: hoowahh.jpg (258 KB, 1600x1200)

Connor Ward
Connor Ward

Best Girl.

Attached: 1433817712581.jpg (64 KB, 617x874)

Luke Perry
Luke Perry

I want to make babies with Maribel.

Easton Hill
Easton Hill

Attached: 1499945321935.jpg (638 KB, 702x1000)

Gabriel Reyes
Gabriel Reyes

Attached: 0f191d8050475d231c093c95e93efd94.jpg (728 KB, 850x1200)

Ian James
Ian James

Attached: Puff-Puff..jpg (285 KB, 1063x1595)

Benjamin Thomas
Benjamin Thomas

Attached: Jess-Albert.jpg (128 KB, 647x900)

Jacob Collins
Jacob Collins

As a frenchie I really don't mind the accents, they add charm to the game. I really love Yangus' thick accent.

Oliver Watson
Oliver Watson

no chenposter yet

Alexander Young
Alexander Young

Well, this technically isn't a Dragon Quest thread, despite it being 99.9% Dragon Quest discussion.

Robert Perry
Robert Perry

Persona 4....

Hahahahahaha

Attached: IMG-20180314-220935.jpg (13 KB, 237x236)

Colton Garcia
Colton Garcia

DQ7 was really good too.

Eli Garcia
Eli Garcia

the game gives several tips about eight being special
No it doesn't.
being curseproof
Literally means nothing until you find out later and connect the dots.

Brandon Lopez
Brandon Lopez

Do people actually not like the hammy cockney accents? I love that shit.

Attached: image.png (424 KB, 640x480)

Lucas Hughes
Lucas Hughes

I like them when the text is fucking readable. IV went way, WAY too far.

John Gutierrez
John Gutierrez

It was too much, shit aint even in the jp version.

Leo Thomas
Leo Thomas

only in dq8, none of the others

John Young
John Young

Name 3 games where "he wasn't special after all" was a twist

Attached: 1515198196820.gif (535 KB, 540x260)

Eli Richardson
Eli Richardson

See for yourself:

Jackson Hall
Jackson Hall

No, I don't like it. Trode, Medea and basically everyone besides Yangus were horrible. I turned off the voices and the game was way better.

Connor Price
Connor Price

Suikoden I
Suikoden II
Suikoden III

Jackson Cox
Jackson Cox

DQV, technically. You're not special, but your son is

Attached: DQV-Hero's-Son.png (504 KB, 576x867)

David Parker
David Parker

i already had the feeling he was special when fighting the first boss that cursed and he didn't get cursed

plus he could equip cursed weapons without any penalties

Attached: 1520624588132.png (12 KB, 243x243)

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit