Name a game where the "he was super special all along" twist was better done than in DQ8. You literally can't

Name a game where the "he was super special all along" twist was better done than in DQ8. You literally can't.

Attached: 240px-DQVIII_Hero_artwork.png (240x532, 144K)

I can't. Because 1) DQVIII did do this the best and 2) It's actually not done very often.

Attached: fcd1fa9c2e55534d52ad40d49bf1d753.jpg (1000x1499, 312K)

I'd argue Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles is up there, because the game strips away WHY he was super special all along about 2/3rds into the game and then has him prove himself without it. Basically a better executed case of Sora and the Keyblade in KH1.

I didn't like that the reason he was immune to curses was that he got his memory wiped, instead of being just because he's dracovian.
It would make the note in Rapthorne's castle about "looking out for the menace of the dracovians" have more sense.

The reason he's immune to curses is because he has a Dragovian Lord in his pocket. The hero himself isn't immune to the curse, but "Munchie" is putting up a barrier. Same reason he didn't get cursed in the castle or against Rapthorne.

That actually was pretty good but I doubt that many people got fooled into believing that Shulk really was nothing special all along.

What's great about the reveal in DQ8 is that you could find out about the protagonist's origins by unlocking his final skill in the game. Otherwise it was impossible to find out about his origins before post game I believe.

DQV had the best hero twist in the series, and probably the best of any JRPG

I distinctly remember them explaining that curses bounced off him because he already had a curse placed on him (the memery loss).

Which is ruined by making the hero gear garbage and not even the strongest equipment in the game and not even necessary to beat the final boss although that was the entire purpose.

Was that added in the 3DS version? Because I don't recall that ever being mentioned.

the game gives several tips about eight being special, the moment he manages to resist doulmagus curse attack

pic related. come at me bro.

Attached: 1501119545446.png (1024x685, 954K)

It's been too many years since I've played the original, I don't know if it was already there.

You know that Fei is special 10 minutes into the game. A premise is not a plot twist.

Can confirm this is true.

When you go into the post game and first get to the Dragovian Village, Munchie appears (forgot his name, Lu Xia or something) and explains he was with you all the time. And he was the one who put the barrier protection spell on you. But it only works when he's with you. Which is why he keeps tagging along any time you leave the Dragovian village.

Attached: 44cece09359641d0e89a6bb0e27da377.png (800x857, 649K)

You literally only learn this during the post-game raid boss area.

You know Stocke is special from the start you just don't know the real reason why.
It's because he needs to commit suicide

I don't know of any "chosen one" plots that do a better twist. Also DQ8's twist was just as good as DQ7's.

Attached: 38644379_p9.jpg (430x450, 121K)

What makes it even better is how it affects the ending.

You can learn it before trough reaching level 65 and obtaining the final skill of the protagonist, dragon soul. Highly unlikely to reach that level before post game though but the best grinding spot is plainly reachable way before the end of the game so it's perfectly possible.

Oh yeah i totally forgot about that, his dad fucked a dragon or something, right?

Secret of Mana.

>lu xia
no, his name is chen mui. it's an anagram of munchie

>The King of Argonia makes mention of his brother being an adventurer and disappearing years ago
>first play-through
>means absolutely nothing to the player
>second play-through
>HOLY SHIT

Yeah, like 4's dad fucked an angel and died.

I liked how they even gave a reason why the post game boss couldn't save the earth from dhoulmagus even though he was a good guy and after you beat him he even says that dhoulmagus will now be a joke for the protagonist to defeat or something like that.

The "bad" ending is still my favorite in the series, I didn't care for his optional backstory nonsense.

Why is the Jessica ending supposed to be better than post game?

This did handle it the best. He's special, but not for the reason you think. He's a counter for the games antagonist, but there is no prophecy dealing with it. He's essentially just a normal guy, that finds out his extraordinary past, AFTER he's already taken care of the threat to the world.

Still, there are plenty of hints in the game that point to the possibility of his nobility, it's the other side that comes as a shock. Though he has one hint in his Courage skill.

I just got done playing the 3DS version and I never heard shit about Chun putting up any barriers.

I meant the you run away with the princess ending. Didn't play that 3ds remake.

VI went several steps further by making the superboss kill the final boss for you.

Was the superboss of 6 a good guy though or just even more evil? Because a greater hero defeating the last boss and then challenging you would be super cool but just a bigger threat defeating him would be kinda eh.

You can always tell when someone's never played a DQ game when they try to say they're the most bog standard and "traditional" RPGs.
It's like the ultimate bait and switch, the series plays itself off like that but once you get into the story they all do everything in their power to defy normal RPG conventions and totally fuck with your expectations, it's great.

The main character is pretty boss in that ending.

Jessica's ending doesn't really affect the story. Hero still gets to cuck Prince Charmless out of his wedding by marry best girl, and Madea is free to live the life she wants.

The cursed king revealed himself to be a total faggot though. Who would willingly marry his daughter to that douche. He even experienced the awful personality of the prince multiple times.

This also happens POST GAME after the protagonist saves the entire world and frees them both of their curses. That he didn't offer up the pussy of his daughter to the protagonist was fucked up.

He's neutral to the events of the game, but being an ancient demon summoned by mistake he's probably technically evil. Anyway if you defeat him in few enough turns he's so impressed that he decides to make you a favor.

So how does VIII run in Citra now? And can I change the music to the symphonic suite ones? Don't really care much about Jessica's censored outfits

I still love the DQ5 twist being that you are not the hero, you are his dad. Such a nice change of pace. I love it.

Just play the PS2 version you huge faggot.

This, I've only finished VII so far, but things like Kiefer leaving your for pussy or the devil being actually evil for once were somewhat of a change of pace compared to your standard JRPG

why did they randomly pay homage to DMC with these characters?

Attached: 307861-angelo_3[1].jpg (640x480, 23K)

Nier Automata.
9S literally says that he's the best model around in the prologue itself.

But I already played that one to death. I wanna see the new content.

>Cuck yourself out of great content because it isn't as pretty

Trode shows misgivings about the whole thing after meeting Charmles. Before that he didn't know what the prince was like, and there was the whole thing about the grandparents' promise. In the end though he still comes through and lets the hero pound Medea's pussy.

Talking about VII, it was great how the game hints at who the hero's real parents actually are but nobody in the game ever finds out.

Literally perfect aside from small fps drops when objects in the overworld are getting loaded.
Dunno about the ost but there's uncensored version floating around.

Attached: citra-qt 2018-03-15 00-27-10-65.jpg (1920x980, 139K)

Dragon Quest often gets labeled as generic, but its actually subverted a lot more tropes than other series. Especially FF and Pokemon. In fact, it's done it so much that now the fans are demanding a return back to basics.

>your father was a Great Man
>your son is the Destined Hero
>you just want to keep everyone you love safe

The very first boss in the game tries to curse you but Hiro just shrugs it off with a dragon seal appearing before him.

Sweet, I'm gonna give it a shot

>great content
>game is already flawless
One of the best things about DQ8 is that you only get as many party members as you can actually use in combat. This makes DQ8 hands down one of the most immersive JRPGs of all time since you don't carry unnecessary fat around all the time but everyone that travels with you actually counts.

just use the latest canary build, it received an enormous fps boost

The problem is that its "subversions" over time became the norm.
A character like Alena was subversive in 1992, now it's a common trope.

I like that was hinted at in fights with curses bouncing off him long before the game explicitly mentioned it.

Attached: that's nice.png (493x402, 3K)

Really? Because Citra was running like balls last time I tried it. Or do I need to get one of those bootleg Chinese versions?

The new characters are pretty much mandatory for the postgame dungeon, that is probably the most fun I've ever had with DQ's combat.
The small addition to the story were needed as well.

You're special.
But not in the way you think you are.

Attached: terranigma-wlp1-1920x1200-750x375.jpg (1920x1200, 731K)

That's kind of what I was trying to say.

Attached: 1403250132270.jpg (770x900, 380K)

Jessica >>>>>>>>>>>> Medea

Whenever that happened I always thought "huh, wonder what's up with that. Guess he's just getting lucky rolls".

The game kinda spells it out though when you finally face Dhoulmagus.

What was his problem? He was literally a cunt till the very end.

Attached: Marcello.jpg (180x377, 18K)

Red > both.

LUCKY
ROLLS

Both of them.

Attached: tumblr_nrulle8mHF1tylu9po1_500.png (500x674, 360K)

It was expressed very blatantly. Daddy chose a real family instead of him.

Play the 3DS version.

Angelo was his problem.

>twist
>he's shown to be special early on as the single survivor of a curse that wiped out an entire kingdom
Yep. I sure was surprised to learn that he was special. Didn't see that coming a mile away.

She would be, if she had something going on for her besides looks. Medea isn't best because she's the chosen girl, but because she actually had a lot of story arcs and development. Both of Jessica's story arcs focused more on someone besdes Jessica (her brother/mother in one and Dhoulmagus' staff in the other).

They really should have added more to Jessica in the 3DS "remake".

Attached: 1462647909898.png (911x650, 599K)

To be fair, the specifics for why are left unclear, and is seldom touched on for most the game. So in that sense, its still handled better than most stories that hammer you over the head with the fact the protagonist is special.

He looked like the weakest faggot in his guard uniform though. DQ8 hero looks super plain even with his godlike travel clothes so I never suspected him.

If I had to find a problem with the story of this game, it would be that the "elf" guy with the harp completely disappears after you get the boat.
I kept expecting him to have a bigger purpose later on but the game forgot about him.

It was obviously because he was pure of heart. Medea got turned into a horse because she had a dark fetish for horse cocks.

>getting a new PC on a few days
>gonna emulate VII and VIII with Citra
Shit's gonna be comfy.

Attached: You must be hungry. Would you like breakfast.png (512x448, 23K)

>turns super saiyan aesthetically with super high tension
That was a nice twist.

Daddy issues.

I'm not much of a DQ fan, so I just assumed that he was a cameo from a different game or something.

I liked that, it was just some weird otherworldly shit you weren't even meant to stumble into more than once and the game recognized that not everything has to be significant to your journey, the world is weird.

That was a US only thing

He was born of an affair and was pushed out into a monastery as soon as his father remarried. Years later, his bother (the brother his dad replaced him with) showed up at the same monastery and repeated his cycle. He was worried Angelo would ruin his new life like he did his old life.

To someone on the outside, it doesn't seem that justified. But if you grew up in a shit household and a society that condoned this kind of thing (like was common in Europe even up into the 1800s), you'd probably be bitter and defensive as well.

Later on, Rapthorne used this to take over him. Though Marcello held off Rapthornes influence longer than any other host (which the 3DS version completely ruined his best scene).

Attached: 1439184227473.png (500x599, 343K)

he just got a lucky roll

Nah it was in the pal version too.

Literally DQ3 if you played 1&2 before otherwise you would think he was just another Hero not that Hero

but you go there twice

Empyria is, but he isn't.

yes, which is why I said you weren't even meant to be there as many times as you were and the guy actually comments that it's weird

How did he lose control again? I seem to recall he was confident he could control the staff indefinitely but something the heroes did fucked him up and caused him to get possessed.

And the game points out how bizarre that is. Even the elf dude is surprised.

Yeah, beating him up caused him to lose control and obliterate the entire city.

You fight him and in his weakened state Rhapthorne finally takes over.

I know which game did it the worst.

Disgaea 2.

Fuck , DQ8 could be my favorite game ever.
I can't fucking wait anymore for 11, where the fuck is it Squeenix?

I like to think that The Fishermen are actually his biological parents but he's kind of a Spiritual son to the pirate dude due to Water Spirit shenanigans

>Marcello held off Rapthorne's influence for weeks with sheer determination and spite
>Jessica fell pretty much right as she touched the staff
Man, Yuji Horii really doesn't care for Jessica.

Attached: 1445040254475.png (679x1100, 418K)

It's pretty clearly explained that he's the biological son of the pirate and his girl.