What was Nintendo's end game?

This internal clasp mechanism on the back of the original classic controller has perplexed me and I'm sure plenty of other people for years. There's a couple of 3rd party accessories that make use of it, but Nintendo themselves never did anything with it. Did we ever get a answer for what they were intending to use it for?

Attached: IMG_20130321_225228.jpg (1600x1200, 126K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00HRTG9O8)
youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nintendo's pretty well-known for futureproofing, or at least having expansion options even if they never use them.
Stuff like the expansion port on the SNES, the expansion port on the N64 (which was originally for the N64DD), the link cable port on the Virtual Boy, shit like that

Yeah ok, but when can we use classic conrollers on Switch?

Probably never because there won’t be a retro console on the Switch.

Splatoon 2 has a feature where you can tie a wiimote to a pro controller to use motion controls in local multiplayer. I'm guessing that this feature was originally intended to be standard across the Wii era, but was scrapped later on.

Attached: $[1].jpg (1024x576, 23K)

always thought these were made so you could stick the wii mote on its back and it becomes one single thing, which never happened

>Nintendo themselves never did anything with it
Except they did

Attached: Wii-classic-controller-pro.jpg (4000x3000, 1.94M)

Better question, why is everything fucking Patent Pending? I always see this written into game controllers and systems. Like really? You haven't patented the Wii controller yet? How?

>Gives controller expansion capabilities
>Makes a whole new controller anyway
OP meant the original classic controller, dumbass.

Classic pro wasn't an attachment to the standard classic, it was an entirely different controller. The Z buttons were moved and the sticks were further apart.

>Well know for Futureproofing
Please, they can't even current-proof their hardware.

Attached: image.jpg (800x450, 80K)

But the pro controller already has gyros in it. Tons of people use motion with the pro but not me, I use separate joycons.

There were clips similar to the one pictured that would clip the Wii remote to the back of the classic controller. They were shown before the actual release of the classic controller and I believe sold for a brief time in Japan, but I don't think the official Nintendo one ever made it State side though third party ones were available

Attached: nyko-wii-classic-controller-and-click-grips-preview-20070223021651121-000.jpg (460x239, 42K)

Did anything ever use these hole on the back of the gamepad?

Attached: IMG_9429.jpg (1024x683, 249K)

I mistyped, I meant Splatoon 1.
I don't know why I said Splatoon 2
gonna kms

Attached: luna embarrassed.gif (202x254, 761K)

The switch is physically capable of having voice chat, it's just for whatever moronic reason Nintendo decided on this unnecessarily complicated "solution" pictured.

proof that nobody gives a shit to voice chat desu desu sen fampai

I don't think so.
I've always wanted to make a stand for it though so I can stand it up while playing games like Xenoblade.

Ah, the shitposting phoneposter strikes again.

Honestly voice chat is a cancer. Especially with games that don't allow you to turn it off.

I find stuff like this interesting. Any other examples.

This (amazon.com/dp/B00HRTG9O8) is literally the only accessory that I know of (aside from some externally strapped on battery banks) that made use of it. Could of made for some interesting homebrew hardware, if the Wii U wasn't such a massive disappointment.
Better question is what was that data port supposed to be for, I think there was a lightgun sort of thing shown off early in the Wii U's lifespan that didn't come to anything.

Attached: 41dyDwRH3PL.jpg (500x500, 23K)

thats because nintendo knows that nobody would play their fucking games if they could hear the voices of the other people
we got sick of hearing kids yell at their moms so long ago this site is now filled with those same little dipshits that would sing katy perry on mic and think it was funny

seriously, fuck voice chat and fuck you for liking it.

Big if true.

It was gonna double as a belt buckle as part of some new Captain N thing.

Why would they when they seem to love selling the classic console.

You could use the gamepad wired with a special cable, but it only worked on dev units.

Wii U gamepad also has some kind of port on the bottom that was never used for anything

They probably did it because they assumed the primary audience for Splatoon 2 (and any other game with any sort of competitive element whatsoever) would be children.

They would be wrong, however, as most people who own Switches are probably adult men in their thirties. Not hating, i own one, just saying that they're morons for not realizing their actual audience.

Don't get me wrong, voice chat is utter cancer for any game that doesn't skew to a older and less autistic demographic (which is way far and inbetween), but if you're going to have voice chat as a game feature, seems like a massive hassle and waste of dev time to expect everyone to own a cellphone / everyone with a cell phone to want to burn through data.
As a option on top of console native voice chat could be a nice feature, but in place off is stupid on their part.

Clam blitz pretty much requires voice chat to have a good team, why are you defending Nintendo's stupid decisions here?

They probably cut it to save on RAM and bandwidth on the Switch itself. Which is why it's relegated to the phone app.

That actually makes a bit of sense. The Switch needs all the power it can get towards the actual game, but the phone thing is still absolutely retarded.

Voice chat is shit and you're probably one of the reasons it's shit if you actually enjoy it.

to slowly evolve their controllers into boobs, apparently.

>pay $20 a year to access your own internet that you already pay for
>still can't voice chat
LOL

As well as what said (although presumably the Nintendo PlayStation / SNES CD was going to use that port) there's also the expansion port on the bottom of the NES (Possibly for a famicom disk system like accessory) (Which ultimatly was used for a homebrew NES internet adapter), there's also the DB9 connector on the back of the very first original Genesis / Mega Drive that was left off of later revisions.

The original Classic Controller is still my favorite controller, not sure what it was used for, but I just fidget with the middle top button.

I actively do not want to voice chat with any of you ever, retard.

I had one of those.

Okay, then you should admit Nintendo paid online is a complete rip-off.

What

>Pay for online
>Can't even get basic features from over a decade ago

I'm amazed that none of the people in the Wii U Homebrew scene made anything out of the Gamepad's port.
Nintendo once said that, with time, the Gamepad would become independent from the console and be able to play games and run apps.
That has to do with the Wii U OS, I imagine it's pretty fucking difficult to alter both the OS of the Wii U and the OS of the gamepad without source code, but I'm amazed that no one has ever mentioned or acknowledged it

Also it removed the original CC's analog triggers.

He thinks that voice chat is the entire core of online services but doesn't realise that it's a completely separate thing.

They're locking points for store displays/demos so people don't steal the unit. Other controllers have them too.

Having to pay for online is unjustifiable.
But you don't need a Switch to voice chat.

>you should admit paid online is a complete rip-off.
ftfy

>But you don't need a Switch to voice chat.
Is this one of those "dude just use discord lmao" posts?
I don't keep my switch near my PC so no that isn't an option
No disagreement there

>don't keep my switch near my PC so no that isn't an option
Not him but you do know that discord has a phone app right?

You kind of want the computer for the line-in line-out though.

pretty sure that you need a 3rd party 2nd screen for text char too, top kek
You also can't web browse, because fuck you.

*text chat

The real question is why the fuck isn't it just USB? Is it just because someone said "I don't want cables trailing from my TV to my couch"? Why did they fuck over the other 99% of people that think plugging into a Wiimote is inconvenient and cumbersome?
We're still fucking stuck with these with the NES/SNES Mini controllers as well, which means you can't use those on the Switch since Nintendo finally dropped Wiimote support.

There's a couple "Shove a Pi with retroarch into a thing" projects using the Gamepad, but that's hardly the same thing.

Source on the independent gamepad thing?

At the time, they were really into the whole "Plug everything into the Wiimote" thing, plus the USB ports on a Wii are in the back, hardly super convenient when it's in a entertainment center like most family systems were situated. On the plus side it's one less thing to worry about batteries for, because it leeches off of hardware you already have.

Forget the hole, what about the port on the bottom?

Dude, use discord or Skype or some shit instead and put the phone next to you. Phone mics are good enough that you don't need to use that shit attachment on the controller

>Nintendo once said that, with time, the Gamepad would become independent from the console and be able to play games and run apps.
Is it possible that the Switch was originally going to be a WiiU add-on that plugged in the gamepad? They did say at one point that the "NX" wasn't a replacement for the WiiU.

I line in all my console audio to my PC already so no, I dont need voice chat even if I did play multiplayer switch games.

Someone post the patent detailing VR on the switch

the originaly didn't have analog triggers either

They were still analog
youtube.com/watch?v=GTsDsw32SIA

huh, interesting

>They did say at one point that the "NX" wasn't a replacement for the WiiU.

Nintendo has always said shit like this and they never deliver. Remember when the DS wasn't supposed to replace the GBA?

One of the marketing videos or the E3 presentation mentioned that there were going to be games completely made for the gamepad.
Now this could've meant anything from gamepad-centric games (Fatal Frame V, ZombiU, Star Fox Zero) to games only playable on the gamepad (like that backgamon game shown in the E3 video)

Wii u was the hero we needed. Such a good console. i'd rather have an upgraded/reworked wii u like system over the switch. two screens going independently was awesome

What's a real shame is how almost no games used that functionality. The only one I can even remember that used them was Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces.

Anyone else just see a face?

Attached: 1521835118719m-1.jpg (479x405, 73K)

I would make it "talk" by pushing down on the center button to make the lips move up and down

>They did say at one point that the "NX" wasn't a replacement for the WiiU.
No they didn't.