What makes laptops worse for gaming? Is it their preset lower specs for the price...

What makes laptops worse for gaming? Is it their preset lower specs for the price? If I get a laptop with higher specs than my desktop will games still have better performance?

Attached: 1487723195588.jpg (615x421, 215K)

A laptop can't cool properly. It will have lower performance even if it has beastly specs.

laptop gpus used to be really shitty but they're not so bad now. unless you fell for the 4k meme they'll do what you want, just look up benchmarks and shit from what you're buying beforehand.

Get a gaming laptop very good.

Laptops are overpriced as fuck compared to deskops, and you most likely can't change a single component.

this

Far worse for replacing parts, has a shorter life time than desktops, far more expensive than desktop counter parts, lack of space makes them far hotter even if you have a meme cooler

Laptop CPU/GPU are almost always weaker versions of their desktop counterparts to provide a reasonable battery life and reduce heat. You can get ones with desktop hardware but they are generally very expensive and cooling can be a massive problem with them.

What it basically comes down to is balancing cooling and power consumption in a small case.

a desktop is safer, it doesn't have a battery sitting on your dick waiting to overheat and explode

they don't get any of the nintendo first party gameslike mario and zelda as well as the new ips such as splatoon and arms

Mobile GPUs and CPUs are a joke compared to desktop versions. In order for a gaymer labtob to be competitive, it needs to be an unwieldy brick that constantly shits out hot air at all times. Also comparatively high price, no upgrades never and if something happens to the motherboard you have to buy a new computer.

>spend 600 to 700 56% amerimutt dollars on a decent high-ultra rig (ryzen 5 1060 6gb)
>invest the last 400 to 300 trump bucks into a well taken care of thinkpad
This is not a hard decision. Fuck off.

>buying used laptops
I guess a retard and his money really are easily parted.

A business laptop will, generally, be well maintained by the company. Why spend money on a piece of shit Acer when you can get a decent last gen laptop for 60 to 70% off retail?

A laptop is best used as its purpose for portability if you travel enough or you need it for work. So for me I have both because I sometimes go overseas for a week or so and I also need a strong laptop to handle rendering at least somewhat on par with my desktop because just a couple days of work paid for the fucker itself. I imagine if you were off for schooling it has its advantages too, as long as you can afford it and go in with the expectation it's a use it till it theoretically dies (which hasn't happened to me with any laptop yet) then they're fine. I dunno how the parts market is right now so theoretically a laptop can be cheaper than a similarly on par computer, if it's too atrociously pricey then it's smarter to get a laptop and enjoy yourself for a year or so before prices calm down then going full lent on pc gaming.

Unless you're poor.

>A business laptop will, generally, be well maintained by the company.
Have you ever worked at a company? They treat their laptops like shit because they know the company will just replace them. t. help desk semi-slave.

I do not know this feel. All I know is that I fucked up when purchasing mine and didn't ask for bios screenshots. Beyond the mobo replacement, it's been a great shitposting tool.

In simple terms, think about it like this: "Why are computers so big and cost less when laptops are so small and cost more?" You're trying to compact as much capability from a big 'ole machine into a tight and cramped space, and in order to do that, you need expensive, expensive parts to do that at a 1:1 ratio. Unfortunately, if you compare them by their price, laptops will always be inferior, however, you can always get a laptop that will specifically designed for gaming, but an equally optimized PC will always outperform it (until it's hardly a noticeable difference).

Keep in mind as well that the design of a laptop is for use on the go - this design infers that its use won't be for as extended periods of time as a PC. As a result of this design, they tend to have difficulty staying as cool as easily and can be more susceptible to damage from heat, but if you only want to play for short stints and outside of your home, then a laptop would be ideal if you can afford the budget.

Honestly? Just get a PC. The beautiful thing is that you can customize their internals to your preference, whereas laptops are like consoles in the sense that it's all packed together and not meant to be fucked with internally.

Short answer? PC > Laptop in most scenarios because of design and purpose.

They're not gonna be as good as a desktop but if you have a toaster, getting a good one is definitely give you better performance.

If you do get one, get one with good ventilation, i have one with dual fans that exhaust out the back and it's a lot better than other gaming laptops.

Laptops generally only have peak performance for a few years. In most cases they will still work after that, but they will keep developing more problems over time. Ideally you want to replace your laptop every 4-5 years. Are you comfortable with paying $800+ every 4-5 years? If so go ahead and get a gaming laptop if you're interested in it. Otherwise it's just much more cost effective to spend the money on a PC, which will last much longer.

Hey I'm going for an interview for a helpdesk/it type job. Is most of the problems people bring to you mostly basic shit that you could figure out if you're not a normalfag/tech illterate?