Heroes of Might and Magic

just started this. my first western turn-base game ever.

what units should I aim to get?

Attached: 220px-H5boxshot.jpg (220x313, 31K)

You mean HoMM5 campaign? The first missions are easy enough for you to try out all the unit types and decide for yourself.

Get a big stack of Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Go play the third game and also the second one if you have time.

Well if it's anything like 3 your hero generally specializes in certain units or has spells to compliment a type of unit.

Best heroes in V specialize in general stuff rather than in a certain unit. Focusing on one unit is not optimal in V, because most units have a plethora of unique effects, and aren't just bags of HP. Campaign heroes don't focus on specific units, either, from what I remember.

Heroes 5 Tribes of the East has the most diverse races and units/heroes/items. The best in the series after 3.

>It's AI is so incredibly slow, their turns take progressively longer the longer the game goes on.
>Gets the Heroes 5.5 mod, which fixes the AI.
>It can't be played via virtual lan as it causes a memory leak and the ai bugs out
>Can never play 2v2 vs ai with my friend
>Stuck dealing with the incredibly slow ai to play online.
>Had to manually create a map in RMG with set teams as the in game feature doesn't let you create teams for some stupid fucking reason

Why can't this shit just work. Heroes 3 still had the best RMG feature.

inferno was freaking weird in the camPAIN
but im sure we can all aggre 3 is just the best and call it a day

Units that are usually OP
>all kind of ranged units/casters
>every that has "no retaliation"
>vampires
>tier 4-5 units

Also like in every video game try to focus their casters/ranged units.

>most diverse races
>faction of dwarf, dwarf, dwarf, dwarf and dwarf

At least one of those dwarfs is a giant dwarf though.
It's understandable that they didn't want to do the Halloween store assembly of random creatures like previous games, but yeah, I agree, that one felt a bit weak.

Piss off Ubishill

>agree with you
>piss off ubishill

Attached: 1517317619870.jpg (427x507, 44K)

Probably should've asked this last week when there was a Ubisoft sale on Steam, but
What's the best HOMM to get into? I hear 3 and 5 are the best, but I know the HD version of 3 doesn't have any of the expansion packs. Also, are the mainline Might & Magic games worth getting into? Aren't they more like older traditional dungeon WRPGs like Wizardry and Ultima? During that sale last week I ended up buying Dark Messiah, which I know plays completely different (real-time first person game, a la Ultima Underworld or Arx Fatalis)

How is that worse than, for example, a faction of elemental, elemental, elemental, elemental, elemental and elemental bird?

Conflux was shit too but it was 9th, Dwarftress was 7th and it was hardly the only offender - entire Stronghold looked yellow and brown and had a variety of orcs instead of goblins, ogres and all that stuff, Dungeon also had a bunch of elves for no reason, the entire lineup visually sucked ass.
>elemental bird
Phoenix and the fairy were holdovers thrown out from Sorceress' faction because the game needed more dark and brown tones

GoG version of HoMM3 includes all the stuff, get the HD mod for it and you're good to go. Pirating HoMM5 with expansions also works.
M&M6 or 7 is the best point of entry for those games in my opinion, they are blobbers - meaning that you control an entire party of characters from first person.

Probably 3 because it gets all the love, 5's good aswell so is 2
MM is alright, they're blobbers so they're more about killing shit in dungeons than any other rpg mechanic
I'd say your best goto for MM is 6-8 everything afterwards isn't really worth your time. 4 & 5 are cool aswell if you want to play something a bit older they both combine into a single game

3 and 5 are the best. 2 isn't really better than 3, everything after 5 is awful, 4 is pretty bad as well, but it has fans for some reason.

M&M plays somewhat similar to Wizardry, but you are given more freedom to explore the game's world, you aren't always blobbing in the same dungeon. Those two are similar otherwise. At least the early games, I can't say anything about the later M&M games, or about Wizardry after Japan acquired it.

dont play vanilla, its bugged as hell. You need both expacs for it to be playable

Thanks. I'll end up getting 3 & 5, then maybe mainline M&M 4 through 8. Besides HOMM and Dark Messiah, were there any other good spinoffs? King's Bounty was pretty much a prototype HOMM, right?

it's an ok homm game but you should play disciples 2 instead.

Yeah, the old King's Bounty was made by the same guy who then went on to design HoMM and M&M. The new (relatively) one is made by some Russians and it's ok, if you can stand the awful warcrafty artstyle.
Disciples 2 is a pretty great game in a similar vein, although it's unit mechanics are different.

kys retard